Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

les fleurs du mall posted:

your investigation and prying reminded them that the house exists and now they're fixing it good job goon you gave away a free house by asking too many questions

If that is the case, then good! I'm glad that someone is looking after the place. In my letter, I did offer to help with minor maintenance like raking leaves, weeding and removing broken branches.

My other suspicion is that the bags belong to someone who isn't supposed to be there. Someone who decided to move in with their cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Nessa posted:

My other suspicion is that the bags belong to someone who isn't supposed to be there. Someone who decided to move in with their cat.

Stakeout!!!

Get a stakeout van, stakeout snacks and bad stakeout coffee!

Stakeout, stakeout, stakeout!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you can't squat in the house, you can at least get yourself a new cat.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Nessa posted:

If that is the case, then good! I'm glad that someone is looking after the place. In my letter, I did offer to help with minor maintenance like raking leaves, weeding and removing broken branches.

there might just be vagrants who cycle between different abandoned spots and the cat is just a coincidence. You should break in and take a lot of heroin on a dirty mattress in there either way

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

>go back and pet that cat

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

>go back and pet that cat

I had tried, but the cat just ran away and meowed at me until I left.

Walked by again today. The bags and cat were gone, but looking around the back, there seemed to be a sweater lying in the grass, and it also looks like the recent windstorm knocked over a tree in the backyard as well. There are electrical cables strung up in the backyard, and the tree fell on top of one, so now the cable is pulled to the ground before going back up again towards the pole that it's connected to. I'm concerned it might be hazardous.

It's a very nice day outside, and if I had permission, I would totally spend a couple hours raking up leaves and clearing away branches and that dead tree. With all the fallen leaves, you can really see all the dead, broken branches everywhere. You could easily fill the back of a truck with all of them.

I did leave a note on the door for whoever is coming in, offering to help with yard work. (I really do enjoy non-winter yard work.) If it's someone with keys who is supposed to come collect mail or whatever, then I hope to hear back from them.

Pic of the massive tree in the front yard.

And this is the view from across the street right now (and down a little ways because directly across the street are some trees).

We're having a particularly lovely autumn right now. Sunny and a warm 10 degrees Celsius out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's a stupid pretty area. I'm a city guy through and through, but man, thats some good looking town.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
That's an awesome view.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's a stupid pretty area. I'm a city guy through and through, but man, thats some good looking town.

Our river valley system is the largest natural environment in an urban area in all of North America. 10 times the size of Central Park. It's odd that the closer you are to the downtown core, the closer you are to nature. Occasionally, a bear or even a cougar will be sighted in the valley.

After looking it up, I'm totally going to send a message to the power company about the cable. Looks like it's a service line, and you can report necessary tree trimming if a line is under pressure. In certain circumstances, they don't even need the owner's permission to go onto the property and remove the offending branches or tree.

contrapants posted:

That's an awesome view.

Yup. That's why it's one of the most expensive neighbourhoods in the city. There's even a "view tax" for people who have a river valley view.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
this is a good thread, thank you for posting it op

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i wish you could befriend the old lady though, i really do :smith:

old people are honestly so cool when they're lucid, they can tell you so much stuff about their lives

that's why i'm sad i was like 8 years old when my grandmothers passed away and a baby when my grandfathers passed away, i never got to talk to them about what it was like growing up when they did because i was too young and dumb to think about that sort of thing

in particular it would be really cool to talk to my grandmother on my mom's side since she was a straight off of the boat italian immigrant and i imagine she would have some awesome stories :smith:

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 16, 2015

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

deep impact on vhs posted:

i wish you could befriend the old lady though, i really do :smith:

old people are honestly so cool when they're lucid, they can tell you so much stuff about their lives

that's why i'm sad i was like 8 years old when my grandmothers passed away and a baby when my grandfathers passed away, i never got to talk to them about what it was like growing up when they did because i was too young and dumb to think about that sort of thing

in particular it would be really cool to talk to my grandmother on my mom's side since she was a straight off of the boat italian immigrant and i imagine she would have some awesome stories :smith:

Yeah, it's disappointing that her mind isn't all there anymore. I do hope she's able to write a letter back to me though. Crossing my fingers and checking the mail.

My grandfather passed away recently and he was 95. There was a really lovely service for him and lot's of great photos of him growing up and raising his horses. My grandpa had a real passion for horses. The old farmhouse that my mom and uncle grew up in (that was built by my great grandfather) is where I had my wedding last year and it now belongs to my uncle. I really hope his family puts some work into the old house to restore her. The foundation needs work and the plaster is cracking everywhere, but there's some really quality craftsmanship inside.

My Oma (German for grandmother) is a really amazing lady. She survived in Germany during WWII and escaped to Canada with two of her children in the 50's. She's a very spiritual lady and it's all because of her past experiences. She believes in karma because she was kind to Russian PoW's and brought them bread and cigarettes in the camps. Later on, she was never harmed by Russian soldiers and they were always good to her. She had to watch her mother, sister and grandparents die during the war, saw civilians gunned down by fighter planes and had to flee Berlin all by herself in the midst of the bombings. I was really blown away when we sat down with her one day and she told her story.

The moral of the story is get to know your grandparents and great aunts and uncles before they're gone. They've been through hardships that you wouldn't believe. Don't ever take our easy, technology filled, modern lifestyles for granted.:)

telefono
Mar 18, 2009

ground sloths ONLY

Nessa posted:

The moral of the story is get to know your grandparents and great aunts and uncles before they're gone. They've been through hardships that you wouldn't believe.

True that! I never post on SA anymore but since I work as an architectural preservationist I just wanted to say thanks for caring about old houses. :)

Sadly, they're probably saying it's in worse condition than it is so they can bulldoze it without government interference or neighborhood pushback. The sad truth is that whoever the land is willed to can't wait to tear down the house and either put up an income-producing property like a duplex or build some lovely paper-thin McMansion that won't age half as well as this old gal. Source: every goddamn day of my depressing job. I research old houses that are on the chopping block, watch neighborhoods and families and municipal governments and historians scramble to save it and then fail miserably. It's even worse in historically minority-demographic neighborhoods -- really important cultural heritage sites get hosed every day once grandma kicks the bucket. :smith:

I mean, there's no sense in putting effort into something that's truly falling down, but I've seen tons of sketchy inspection reports from people who are really motivated to demo. People will throw their own families, their own histories, and their own integrity into the trash to get rid of old "nuisance" historic homes and not bat an eye. That's why, as a prospective buyer, it's important to find a great inspector that you trust and not just go with what the seller's folks say. The good news is that there are tons of architects and engineers who work their butts off to make old stuff livable again -- and to modern, comfy standards (e.g. no green lino. seriously wtf is going on in there).

I don't mean to be a downer but pretty much what I'm saying is that you need to live in that house and give it some love. There are also some really cool loan/assistance programs for rehab here in the US and I can only imagine that Canada has waaaay better poo poo than we do in that department. : I guarantee your local sustainable development office knows about the place, too!

Either way, you are loving awesome for caring about someone else's home and family and grandma -- even if they no longer do. :unsmith:

ETA

quote:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, unless there's some major internal issues or problems with the foundation. From what I've seen, the roof needs to be reshingled, the front porch and back stairs would have to be completely rebuilt, along with the upstairs balconies, new windows and probably updated wiring and insulation. I've lived in houses that were in worse shape than this one.

Back in the spring, my husband and I were looking at houses nearby (on the poor side of the street, not the rich side that this house is on) and came across a house that seemed like a really sweet deal. Perfect price, it looked super cute on the inside with 3 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms and a full basement with a build-in bar. For a second viewing, we took my father-in-law (used to build houses) and a friend of ours (carpenter currently working on his own older house) for them to take a look. As soon as they stepped in the front door, they started pointing out everything wrong with it. There was a major floor joist missing in the kitchen, the block foundation was in terrible condition and the wiring was a death trap.

Yeah, it's the too-good-to-be-true ones that will kill you. Lipstick on a pig and what have you. You should bring your folks to check out the Clarke place!

telefono fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 16, 2015

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

telefono posted:

True that! I never post on SA anymore but since I work as an architectural preservationist I just wanted to say thanks for caring about old houses. :)

Sadly, they're probably saying it's in worse condition than it is so they can bulldoze it without government interference or neighborhood pushback. The sad truth is that whoever the land is willed to can't wait to tear down the house and either put up an income-producing property like a duplex or build some lovely paper-thin McMansion that won't age half as well as this old gal. Source: every goddamn day of my depressing job. I research old houses that are on the chopping block, watch neighborhoods and families and municipal governments and historians scramble to save it and then fail miserably. It's even worse in historically minority-demographic neighborhoods -- really important cultural heritage sites get hosed every day once grandma kicks the bucket. :smith:

I mean, there's no sense in putting effort into something that's truly falling down, but I've seen tons of sketchy inspection reports from people who are really motivated to demo. People will throw their own families, their own histories, and their own integrity into the trash to get rid of old "nuisance" historic homes and not bat an eye. That's why, as a prospective buyer, it's important to find a great inspector that you trust and not just go with what the seller's folks say. The good news is that there are tons of architects and engineers who work their butts off to make old stuff livable again -- and to modern, comfy standards (e.g. no green lino. seriously wtf is going on in there).

I don't mean to be a downer but pretty much what I'm saying is that you need to live in that house and give it some love. There are also some really cool loan/assistance programs for rehab here in the US and I can only imagine that Canada has waaaay better poo poo than we do in that department. : I guarantee your local sustainable development office knows about the place, too!

Either way, you are loving awesome for caring about someone else's home and family and grandma -- even if they no longer do. :unsmith:

ETA

Yeah, it's the too-good-to-be-true ones that will kill you. Lipstick on a pig and what have you. You should bring your folks to check out the Clarke place!

Thanks man. :)

I know that there are grants you can get to restore historical homes. It can cover up to half to the costs of restoration, up to $70,000. My dad has a house from the 20's that's been falling apart, so he looked into it once. He didn't like the restrictions it put on the house though, since he just wants to turn it into condos. It's a big house that's been divided into 3 separate suites, but the basement has flooded a whole bunch, has ceilings too low for a legal suite and would need a lot of work to repair. The paint on the exterior plaster has been cracking and falling off for years. The place has also been burgled 3 times. I only lived there for a few months (for the first month, I had no heat or hot water!), shortly before it was first broken into. My dad once asked if my husband and I would want to live in a suite he would let us build above his garage. We weren't too keen on the idea.

And yeah, there are plenty of McMansions being built in this area, as well as a number of classic, well taken care of homes with little plaques in front describing the history of the house (those are all the registered historical buildings). I would rather this house become one of the latter, than the former.:/ The house is totally on that list for Inventory and Register of Historic Resources. It was built in 1912.

Our carpenter friend has been working on his own old house, little by little. It was a "handyman special" when he got it, but he's put in a lot of work to make it a comfortable home that he hopes to be able to rent out to students when he's done. He's told us that when we get a place of our own, he'd be happy to help with any work on it. My husband though, really wants a house that doesn't need any fixing or renovations. A "handyman" special is really not on the table for us right now. That's why we brought in our friend and my father-in-law to check out houses with us. They could tell us how much or how little work would need to be done.

We did see one house that they both thought was great and needed very little work, but someone already put an offer on it and we didn't feel like entering into a bidding war.;/

It would really be a dream come true to be able to purchase this place, fix it up and live in it, but that would probably require at least half a million dollars that I don't have. It will likely be sold for lot value to a developer who will gleefully tear it down to make room for a 1.2 million dollar home. Le sigh. :smith:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Welp. I was planning on visiting Muriel again after I was done classes to ask if I could look after her yard and garden over my summer break, but it seems I'm too late.

She died 2 weeks ago, just after turning 99.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/life-and-times-for-muriel-clarke

I wonder what will happen to the house now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You're a good person to take such an interest in her and her house.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm sure she'll still be in the house. Now you have a ghost friend.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So is this just a cover for the op running a meth lab out of his neighbor's vacated house?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I didn't read the actual thread cause it sounded boring as gently caress, but what the OP posted originally seems pretty much like confessing to a crime on the internet to me, complete with pictures and all?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nessa posted:

Welp. I was planning on visiting Muriel again after I was done classes to ask if I could look after her yard and garden over my summer break, but it seems I'm too late.

She died 2 weeks ago, just after turning 99.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/life-and-times-for-muriel-clarke

I wonder what will happen to the house now.

I bet she left it to you in her will

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

idgi - what is the mystery worth investigating?

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
OP tricked mentally incapable old lady into leaving her the house and poisoned her.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Best case scenario OP actually made a thread about his own house but it's a bit too nice for that to be believable.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's possible that one of the ladies at the memorial service is a family friend from my hometown. If it is her (and not just someone with the same name), then I'd like to talk to her. Maybe she'd have an idea of what will happen to the house. I'd just hate to see it torn down.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
The house is now mine.

I'm going to turn it into an esports arena.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Nessa, when is the next edition of your web comic Dreamers coming out? Thanks - A fan

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
well this is a lot to read and im not sure i will but good luck on your house adventures say hi to some ghosts for me!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

large hands posted:

Nessa, when is the next edition of your web comic Dreamers coming out? Thanks - A fan

At this rate - probably never!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, once you get to j know the thrill of vacant house inspection, it's hard to return to your old life.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 4, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
congrats on killing an old woman and successfully concealing the crime Nessa

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I emailed the lawyer last night and asked if there would be an estate sale. Hopefully he gets back to me, because I would be really interested in going to the estate sale.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nessa posted:

I also asked permission to take photos of the interior, accompanied by someone who could lock up the house.

So... no one dead bodies. I'm still hoping to do a photo adventure though.

Nessa posted:

I emailed the lawyer last night and asked if there would be an estate sale. Hopefully he gets back to me, because I would be really interested in going to the estate sale.

Still want to do a photo adventure if you can only get access through an estate sale with other people around?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nessa strap a gopro on for this

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

CloFan posted:

Nessa strap a gopro on for this

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Marta Velasquez posted:

Still want to do a photo adventure if you can only get access through an estate sale with other people around?

Estate sales usually occur at the house, right? I'm wondering if there will be a sale of all of the stuff inside the home and of the property itself. Due to the condition of the home, would they do an estate sale at an auction house instead? I've never been to one before. It would probably be my only chance to take a look inside if they held an estate sale at the property.

It's tempting to take look inside the shed. It looked like there was a box of really old photographs in there, the kind that come in a folded display.

What would happen to any old photographs? Would those get sold too? Photo of Aunt Edith from 1923, bidding starts at $1! The Edmonton Journal article talked about the walls in her home being lined with photos and maps from her travels. I think those would be really cool to see.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
PROBABLY FULL OF SLAVE RECORDS

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wonder if her ghost is trapped in the house because you trespassed, and it threw the local energy field into disarray.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nessa posted:

Estate sales usually occur at the house, right? I'm wondering if there will be a sale of all of the stuff inside the home and of the property itself. Due to the condition of the home, would they do an estate sale at an auction house instead? I've never been to one before. It would probably be my only chance to take a look inside if they held an estate sale at the property.

It's tempting to take look inside the shed. It looked like there was a box of really old photographs in there, the kind that come in a folded display.

What would happen to any old photographs? Would those get sold too? Photo of Aunt Edith from 1923, bidding starts at $1! The Edmonton Journal article talked about the walls in her home being lined with photos and maps from her travels. I think those would be really cool to see.

Every time I've gone to or helped at an estate sale, the family put price tags on everything, and people wandered through the house looking at everything. If there were areas the family didn't want people to go, the stuff for sale from that room was brought out to other rooms or set up on tables outside.

Usually, all the stuff that wouldn't be for sale is either removed beforehand or just doesn't have a price tag on it. Occasionally, someone would ask how much an item would costs, and we'd just respond that it wasn't for sale. People understand and keep perusing. Hopefully, the family won't take down the maps before you can see them. There's a chance they wouldn't be for sale, though.

If the house is really that far in disrepair, the whole sale might be brought outside for safety or kept in only the main rooms of the first floor.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Marta Velasquez posted:

Every time I've gone to or helped at an estate sale, the family put price tags on everything, and people wandered through the house looking at everything. If there were areas the family didn't want people to go, the stuff for sale from that room was brought out to other rooms or set up on tables outside.

Usually, all the stuff that wouldn't be for sale is either removed beforehand or just doesn't have a price tag on it. Occasionally, someone would ask how much an item would costs, and we'd just respond that it wasn't for sale. People understand and keep perusing. Hopefully, the family won't take down the maps before you can see them. There's a chance they wouldn't be for sale, though.

If the house is really that far in disrepair, the whole sale might be brought outside for safety or kept in only the main rooms of the first floor.

Hmmm, okay. I'm wondering who would be conducting it then, since she had no living family. I imagine it would be arranged by her lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nessa posted:

Hmmm, okay. I'm wondering who would be conducting it then, since she had no living family. I imagine it would be arranged by her lawyer?

If she has no living family... and no one in the will... I really don't know what would happen to it!

If she does have living family and they don't care about the house and just want some money then yeah... a lawyer type would probably take care of it and send them the money or if the house wasn't paid off the bank might do it to try to pay off some of the debt or lien.

• Locked thread