Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have an idea for some t-shirts. I would like to sell these t-shirts. I am wondering the best way to do this while maximizing the amount of money that I, KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD, will have left over after printing these t-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
If you're only going to make a very small amount of them, then you can buy heat transfer paper at your local office store, which works by printing the image you want on to a wax sheet and then you iron that on to the actual shirt. Doing that requires extremely little setup, but the area that you ironed on will be stiff (you usually want to AT LEAST trim off areas not part of the image) and won't hold up well in the wash at all.

If you're going to make a larger amount, then it's time to start considering screen printing, which is roughly the "standard" way of making a graphic tee:
http://lifehacker.com/5886483/simple-guide-to-screen-printing-your-own-shirts

Keep in mind that for every color you want on the shirt, you need to make an additional screen.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

Doing that requires extremely little setup, but the area that you ironed on will be stiff (you usually want to AT LEAST trim off areas not part of the image) and won't hold up well in the wash at all.

And it will chafe your nipples if you have little pokey ones like me and do a design right on the center of the chest. BEWARE.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Time counts as money that I am losing to the project. So, if theres a service that does this, that'd be greeaaaatt.

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
there is probably a place in your town that prints t shirts but you are probably also a spergy goon that wants to do it online]

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I worked in a local t shirt printing company when I was younger. I am not sure how the THE INTERNET has changed things, but in general, you need someone to deal with the design and then source and print the shirts. Most local places or the internet will do that.

First, what art are you using? Is it a picture, graphic, just text? How many colors? The more colors, the more it will cost. If you have a picture, it probably needs to be halftone so they can get it to print. If you just have an idea, you are going to have to hope the have someone creative on staff.

The should be able to take your design and then make screens out of it. If you have a cool idea or a copyrighted graphic, you want a place that is reputable and wont go behind your back and print off your design. They will probably charge you for setting up the screens and possibly for dealing with the art, depending on how much of a pain you make it. They should be able to keep the screens on file so if you need them again, you can get another run.

The cost will depend on what type of shirt, how many colors, and what kind of volume you are dealing with. Cheap polyester short sleeve shirts would be the cheapest, then cotton short sleeves, and so on up to jackets. If you are selling the shirts, you may be able to get a small order, and if they end up selling, do another run for cheaper at volume. This is all stuff a decent shop should be able to discuss with you. Look up screen printing in the yellow pages or online.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have both designs in vector.

crazy eights posted:

there is probably a place in your town that prints t shirts but you are probably also a spergy goon that wants to do it online]
Yes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I used http://www.seatthole.com/ like 10 years ago, they were fast and affordable even for a small run.
I recommend against Hanes Beefy Ts, they never wear out enough to feel comfortable.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks. I was thinking Gildan Heavyweight. I like Gildan Heavyweight. It hides my love handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I had some shirts made at the end of last year and was surprised at how affordable it was. Got 25 screenprinted shirts for $7.75 per shirt (one color, blue on white, Alstyle 1301 brand). They turned out great and are holding up well in the wash. I could have had them delivered for $15, so I could have emailed them the vector file and done it that way.

• Locked thread