Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Polegrinder posted:

I like neofolk, but one thing that bothers me is the connection it seems to have to fascism and neo-nazi beliefs. I find a cool band I like, but then I feel like I have to google to see if they are supportive of that ideology. I know it shouldn't bother me so much, and most likely the bands use that imagery for shock value, but it still makes me feel weird when I listen to stuff like Death in June and Darkwood in public. Am I just overreacting, or are they some neofolk bands that really do have those beliefs? BTW, Of the Wand and the moon is another good band.

the whole scene is really well known for being full of nazis. It's not quite on the level of martial industrial(which a lot of the same people make and listen to) but fairly bad. That applies to most industrial music to some degree though.

reddit liker posted:

i tend to disconnect an artist from their beliefs if they aren't blatant as gently caress about it in their music

for example i'll still listen to burzum even though varg calls himself a "nationalist"

most of the good neofolk guys are fairly blatant, or at least used to be. Old Sol Invictus has like direct quotes from Julius Evola and references to sunwheels and stuff. Tibet is an exception since I don't know if he was really ever really a fascist, he was definitely hanging out with some of them back in the day though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's a new Sol Invictus album coming next year apparently, and you can listen to a demo version of one of the songs here: https://soundcloud.com/tonywakeford/set-the-table-13-will-come

not feeling it that much, it's closer to the older stuff than the previous album, which was the most interesting thing he's done in a while imo. It's an early version though, I'm sure the final song will be better.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I don't know where you all get this overt racism from. Like sure Douglas Pearce has a swastika tattooed on his hand, but then you listen to his older music like Crisis - "White Youth" and what do you make of that? :confused:

Unless you think he flip-flopped and became a racist, which I highly doubt.

it's not overt, that's the whole thing about neofolk that distinguishes it from outright RAC type stuff. Doug P has made comments about immigrants before though, he basically moved to Australia because he thinks it's more white than Europe is these days.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Additionally his music is largely repetitive, unengaging, and amateurish.

It's always struck me that Doug P really needs someone to collaborate with to be much good, all the best Death In June stuff is the early material, where he's got Wakeford or Patrick Leagas or Tibet helping him out, once it's down to just him it gets worse and at this point he's just repeating the same crap over again.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

loga mira posted:

Better things for a grown up to worry about than most of what people sing about, love or feeling sad or how capitalism is unfair or how war is bad.

Those are all perfectly valid things for someone to sing about. Not to mention that nationalism is a relatively recent concept, far more so than most of the pagan ideas that neofolk tends to incorporate, so the claim that it's the lifeblood of all arts is ridiculous. If you talked to a ancient celt about the nation he'd be looking at you funny.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 21, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What is that supposed to mean?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Apocalypse Balloon has that version of sleep has his house where Tibet gets so emotional that you can hear him start to cry while singing the song, it's really cool.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

If you like the more dance type stuff on Nada! it's worth checking out Sixth Comm, Patrick Leagas's solo project. The albums A Nothing Life and Content With Blood both have some new versions of songs he did with Death In June as well as new ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj6eA7pX20
I wouldn't listen to much of his other solo material apart from these two albums though, it's not very good based on what I've heard.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's a new Current 93 album coming out soon

quote:

THE MOONS AT YOUR DOOR: the new album from The Final Clock Of Haunted Current 93.

Containing 2 long tracks, “The Moons At Your Door” and “There Is A Graveyard That Dwells In Man", this album has been recorded in Music As Ghost and recorded as Music For Ghosts. With cover artwork by David, the album will be released as a single vinyl LP, a single CD in digipak, and in an edition of 93 signed and numbered copies with 2 x 12” records with the obverse of each record screen-printed with artwork by David; additional Ghosts will also accompany the limited edition.

I'm interested to see what it sounds like, 2 long tracks sounds different from most of the recent stuff he's done.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That guy would be more credible if he didn't say things like "Violence is inevitably authoritarian and repressive: it is the forceable destruction of another person's freedom, even if only their freedom not to suffer pain." and call Test Dept. "thugs of the new left".

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Death in Rome aren't a very good gimmick, but they did do a funny cover of Total War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRaIqzJvbg

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Das Butterbrot posted:

Quick question because I have no idea how to categorize / explain this kind of music to my friends/acquaintances, but are projects like Wardruna and Forndom Neofolk? If not, what are they (other than freaking awesome)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgvgk50e94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-6GovWzhQ

they're really just folk or acoustic with pagan themes, the people in them are coming from different backgrounds(metal in Trelldom's case, not too familiar with Forndorm) to most of the neofolk dudes(who mostly came from the industrial or punk scenes originally), and they're not really doing the reverbed guitar with spoken vocals thing either. Of course it gets a bit complicated because some neofolk people have done more traditional folk projects as well, but in those cases you still have people from the same scenes and bands involved.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

yeah some people just assume it means modern folk, I remember seeing someone going into hysterics at some point because they called their work neofolk independently of actual neofolk, and then someone told them about all the nazis.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I've never listened to King Dude just because the name is really bad and offputting.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I think if you write an article that contains the phrase "Throbbing Gristle’s career of blatant edgelordery," you should maybe not be writing about anything

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The man who penned the article "Celebrate the day with a goth pool party" turns his pitiless gaze upon the neofolk scene, and you'll never believe what happens next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

divabot posted:

It's the most vexed issue about this stuff and there's no point in pretending it isn't. This Karl Blake post is rather pissed off and strident on the topic, but you can't say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just been playing the new Disjecta Membra. They used to play with this lot a lot more, but have lately taken a pile of political positions stridently opposed, which is good.

I wouldn't bother if I didn't like the stuff.

Also, that Death In Rome shakycam has excellent sound and is worth playing at people and waiting for them to work out what it is.

There's been a lot of articles on the topic, yours is poorly written poo poo that says nothing they didn't already.

• Locked thread