Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Douglas Pearce says pro-white nationalist poo poo in like every interview I've looked at. It's not okay. Additionally his music is largely repetitive, unengaging, and amateurish. Current 93 is glorious on the other hand and David Tibet will probably increasingly be seen as one of the great singer-songwriters of our time on the level of a Dylan or Cohen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
There's a string of Current 93 albums starting with 2006's Black Ships Ate the Sky that I think can't be beat. Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain; Baalstorm, Sing Omega; and Honeysuckle Aeons. They are all super good and seem to me to form a pretty coherent series. David Tibet has a side project to Current 93 called Myrninerest, and the album from that project, Jhonn Uttered Babylon is probably my favorite David Tibet thing all together. It's sort of a reflection on the deaths of Jhonn Balance of Coil and Sebastian Horsley--extremely good poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Just to give some evidence for how good David Tibet is as a lyricist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In0nHSGvoxI

Celebrate the escalator and catnip pastures
Not liable to fire or disaster

Epic win lyrics

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I imagine it'll be more oriented toward experimental soundscape stuff like Haunted Waves, Moving Graves but I could be wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
That's great to know. The Glinting Spade was a huge album for me back in the day.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
What is it about Soft Black Stars though that lifts us up into an eternal moment?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
David Tibet accused of Satanism: http://www.unsound.pl/news/statement-from-unsound-festival-and-david-tibet-current-93-regarding-ridiculous-accusations-of-satanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Future Days posted:

I heard there's a point where you realize all C93 albums are tied together/make sense. I'm still trying to get there; Tibet's a loving prolific writer.

Starting with, I'd say probably Of Ruine many of the major C93 albums have similar themes but different imagery. Particularly regret over Tibet's past, feeling separated from God, and longing for union with Him. Separation from God occurs at some point in childhood. So in Of Ruine there's the "I have not understood" in the Cloud of Unkowing which becomes "finally I have understood" in the climax of Dormition and Dominion. In All the Pretty Little Horses there's the "inmost night" which blots out the "inmost light." On more recent albums images like the Black Ships or the Baalstorm are the agents that separate Tibet from God and bring about the desire for re-union. For instance on Baalstorm check out the lyrics to December 1971 where Tibet imagines himself back in his childhood "with the storm so far in front of me."

• Locked thread