Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

They still haven't even gotten to the Cali Cartel it's just being introduced.

I think they have enough prob for 2 more seasons.

There's plenty that they can go to after Pablo, or hell plenty that they can go to if they swap out lead characters for a fresh cast and location. The Russian mob literally sold the Cali Cartel a military submarine to transport coke in (And also sold Pablo himself a bunch of military helicopters). Once Russia settled down after the dust storm of the USSR's fall, the cartels started building their own subs, some of them including torpedoes that can fire product out to be collected by boats.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Narcos_-_Season_1

The SMG that shows up most often seems to be an "EKOL ASI Uzi", a blank only prop gun that's a fairly poor stand-in for an Uzi.

Edit: And yeah, a bunch of anachronistic AR-15s.
It's gun nerd stuff that most sane people wouldn't notice or care about. It just bums me out that so little thought was put into the firearms when the show was so good otherwise.

I noticed that too but I didn't care too much because finally a show is using at least some blanks instead of just those lovely aftereffects muzzle flashes. Even if it does mean sometimes the guns visibly jam on screen like with Poison and his buddies shooting now and then.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A friend turned me on to this show. Absolutely loved it. It's a show I will probably go back and rewatch in my Breaking Bad / Wire rewatch rotation.

I'm hoping they leave it open to exploring beyond Pablo. They could do so much with this show by simply having it named "Narcos".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fetus Tree posted:

it is not good

E: the translation, the show was amazing i thought

Can someone clarify what the issue with the translation is out of interest? Is it just the show being rather liberal in what it chooses to translate stuff too, to make it more natural sounding as I assume? Or are they loving up and not actually translating some stuff properly to the point that non-Spanish speakers are getting garbled versions of events or whatever?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

tsob posted:

Can someone clarify what the issue with the translation is out of interest? Is it just the show being rather liberal in what it chooses to translate stuff too, to make it more natural sounding as I assume? Or are they loving up and not actually translating some stuff properly to the point that non-Spanish speakers are getting garbled versions of events or whatever?

From my limited understanding of Spanish it sounds like the subtitles make it a little more 'poetic' or whatever than what's actually being said.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Muttonchips posted:

Episode 1x10
Is it implied that Pena sold out Murphy? I'm a bit lost as to why he was kidnapped to begin with

Yes and you don't need to spoiler stuff anymore, show has been out for awhile.

Or at least that he was on their payroll / giving them info, not that he specifically wanted that to happen to Murphy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moura owned in the role since he's intimidating even with dad bod and I liked he sold how good Pablo was at manipulating people even though he had lots of personality weaknesses such
as the need for vengeance at any cost.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Muttonchips posted:

Episode 1x10
Is it implied that Pena sold out Murphy? I'm a bit lost as to why he was kidnapped to begin with

Well, (1x10)
It's left somewhat unclear. Pena was clearly willing to deal with whats his name, henchman prime, and Murphy was not. It's clear Murphy thinks Pena sold him out, but the kidnapping could have happened without Pena's involvement just because Murphy wasn't willing to go along.

Of course maybe it's based on something that really happened that totally runs counter to what I'm saying, I dunno I haven't done outside research.

Botnit posted:

Yes and you don't need to spoiler stuff anymore, show has been out for awhile.

The OP specifically asks for people to use spoilers in a particular way because Netflix :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

surc posted:

Well, (1x10)
It's left somewhat unclear. Pena was clearly willing to deal with whats his name, henchman prime, and Murphy was not. It's clear Murphy thinks Pena sold him out, but the kidnapping could have happened without Pena's involvement just because Murphy wasn't willing to go along.

Of course maybe it's based on something that really happened that totally runs counter to what I'm saying, I dunno I haven't done outside research.

I haven't done any outside research either, but I figure the CIA agent that passed them in the hallway to break up their confrontation might be suspect as well just because of the way his passing is framed, lingering a little long on him.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

tsob posted:

I haven't done any outside research either, but I figure the CIA agent that passed them in the hallway to break up their confrontation might be suspect as well just because of the way his passing is framed, lingering a little long on him.

I had totally forgotten about that pause. I absolutely cannot get over how much I love the way they handle the characters making decisions/compromises constantly throughout the show. I'm so psyched to watch through again with my friends who haven't seen it yet. I just ran through True Detective S1 with some of them, and this is pretty much the perfect follow-up show.

zoux posted:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours.

Is your name Walter Sobchak? Because you're not wrong...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I've been incidentally watching a lot of drug trade related docs, since Netflix recommends things after one show ends and I just tend to go with it, since I like background noise when I work.

Both Cocaine Cowboys docs are interesting, and I feel if they wanted to branch out past Escobar in later seasons, The Godmother, Griselda Blanco could be a good topic. Heck, if they even wanted to tie it in to earlier seasons, she actually straight-up murdered Marta Ochoa (she was the one kidnapped in ep 2 or 3).

I'm blanking on the exact name, but there was one I watched the other day. It was either Sins of The Father or Sins of My Father. It focused on Escobar's son seeking forgiveness from Rodrigo Lara's son and Luis Galan's son. One oddly funny part was Escobar's son discussing how his father would cheat at pretty much everything. 'If we played Monopoly, he'd hide money under the rug beforehand. So he'd just keep losing all game, but never running out of money.'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 25, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

Was it the black one who monitored cartel communications from the planes? Anyway, there could be a lot more CIA fuckery interference in future seasons, cuz, iirc, the cartels pissed off the US even more in the future by getting more involved with militant leftist guerilla groups.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how they pointed out under Regan the worry was more about commies than drugs, and that the CIA had vested interests in the Cartels. Also, the main focus is on the criminal empire and the cops, there's no subplots about Escobar's sons Soccer team or endless scenes of the Murphy's fighting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vice is doing a documentary (sponsored by Netflix) about how Pablo's legacy was a precursor to contemporary narcosyndicates. The first part there only goes up to the death of Escobar, so it's going to spoil Narcos season 2, but it's cool seeing interviews with Javier Pena and Steven Murphy. Though they aren't as handsome as Pedro Pascal or Boyd Holbrook...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If anything that doco made me even more excited for the next season.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 30, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dangerous Person posted:

If anything, that doco made me even more excited for the next season.

Yeah if that is at all indicative of the series arc, with them tracing Escobar's legacy all the way to the current day Mexican cartels, the this will be a great series.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

zoux posted:

Yeah if that is at all indicative of the series arc, with them tracing Escobar's legacy all the way to the current day Mexican cartels, the this will be a great series.

Topical too, even if everyone is trying to not acknowledge the existence of the Mexican Drug War these days.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
My friend who did love the series made a pretty accurate critique that it was a sausage fest and I had a pretty decent rebuttal that criminal fraternities are overwhelmingly boys clubs but we came to an understanding that that supermodel who became a druglord would be a if not a major player then a majorly cool minor player in a lengthy multi-decade anthology series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

My friend who did love the series made a pretty accurate critique that it was a sausage fest and I had a pretty decent rebuttal that criminal fraternities are overwhelmingly boys clubs but we came to an understanding that that supermodel who became a druglord would be a if not a major player then a majorly cool minor player in a lengthy multi-decade anthology series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griselda_Blanco

Tell him to watch the Cocaine Cowboys docs.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That's super cool but does it get mentioned in the show? I'm at 9 eps in and Pablo's getting bitchy in his prison and DEA is shooting clay pigeons.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Finished ep 7 and this show is amazing.

One of the craziest things about this all is that Colombia now has the only colony of wild hippos outside Africa, thanks to Pablo, hopefully they cover this crucial plot point soon. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

That's super cool but does it get mentioned in the show? I'm at 9 eps in and Pablo's getting bitchy in his prison and DEA is shooting clay pigeons.

Nah. Blanco was on the Miami end of the cartel, and the show stays in and around Columbia. Also I think she was more connected to the Ochoas.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Frostwerks posted:

My friend who did love the series made a pretty accurate critique that it was a sausage fest and I had a pretty decent rebuttal that criminal fraternities are overwhelmingly boys clubs
What would your friend expect, the series to create fake female drug kingpins? It is a (mostly) true story.

I cannot wait for Season 2. If I loved this, what else should I watch? I barely watch any TV but this hooked me.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

What would your friend expect, the series to create fake female drug kingpins? It is a (mostly) true story.

I cannot wait for Season 2. If I loved this, what else should I watch? I barely watch any TV but this hooked me.

Sopranos. The wire. Gonna have to files those however. Or buy the dvds.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Holyshoot posted:

I can stream those via my HBO Nordic account. Isn't there a similar service from HBO in the US?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BillBear posted:

Finished ep 7 and this show is amazing.

One of the craziest things about this all is that Colombia now has the only colony of wild hippos outside Africa, thanks to Pablo, hopefully they cover this crucial plot point soon. :v:

Only if they rewrite history and have Pablo be killed by his own hippos.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

I can stream those via my HBO Nordic account. Isn't there a similar service from HBO in the US?

HBO Go, Amazon Prime we invented those bro

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ribsauce posted:

Gomorrah (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049116/)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

Ya more then likely or what the guy said a few posts up. I just don't use those services so I am not familiar with ways to see older shows then the free way or netflix.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Holyshoot posted:

I've watched The Wire like 20 times. I bailed on the Sopranos during Season 4 but I probably should give it another shot. The only other series I have watched more than 2 seasons of is Trailer Park Boys unless I am forgetting something.

Gomorrah is on Amazon Prime. I will check it out. Thanks

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Ribsauce posted:

I've watched The Wire like 20 times. I bailed on the Sopranos during Season 4 but I probably should give it another shot. The only other series I have watched more than 2 seasons of is Trailer Park Boys unless I am forgetting something.

How about the Elite Squad movies?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

Have you seen The Shield?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Finally managed to finish this show last night, pretty good watch all up! Regarding episode 10:

It was definitely the black CIA agent who sold out Murphy, right? He was in a position to have the recordings of the pre-massacre tipoff, he was the one who said there definitely wasn't a tunnel out of La Catedral, and then there was the "LOOK AT THIS GUY" moment when Murphy & Pena were arguing in the hallway.

Was also interesting to read in one of those interviews with Murphy & Pena that the actual Steve Murphy only arrived in Colombia a few days before Escobar turned himself in.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ribsauce posted:

Wire was fantastic, I watched all of the Sopranos and it's too soap opera-ish. It has some fun parts, but it's not something I'd ever want to see again. You didn't miss much. Wire I can rewatch over and over, and I think I'll be able to do the same with Narcos.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

Wire was fantastic, I watched all of the Sopranos and it's too soap opera-ish. It has some fun parts, but it's not something I'd ever want to see again. You didn't miss much. Wire I can rewatch over and over, and I think I'll be able to do the same with Narcos.

Don't listen to this guy. Narcos isn't in the same stratosphere as the Sopranos and I loved Narcos.

I mean this objectively.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just watch the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos and move on.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Don't listen to this guy. Narcos isn't in the same stratosphere as the Sopranos and I loved Narcos.

I mean this objectively.

Seconding this entire post

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
It looks like what is on Amazon is a movie. Is this available in America? Even the DVDs are region 2, unless I am failing at finding it. edit - oh the last page said there are no legal means to watch it here. Bummer

Mu Zeta posted:

Just watch the Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos and move on.
That is effectively what I did.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 3, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ribsauce posted:

It looks like what is on Amazon is a movie. Is this available in America? Even the DVDs are region 2, unless I am failing at finding it. edit - oh the last page said there are no legal means to watch it here. Bummer

Yeah, I did not found any legal means to get it either.

I do promise I will pay for it someday, if they would provide me with a way of doing it.

Awesome series really.

EDIT: the movie is also pretty good, by the way. Both the movie and the series are based on the same book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm only on episode two, but I am still really disappointed that Pablo Escobar and one of his associates aren't being played by Vincent Chase and Johnny Drama. There's even a dude that sorta looks like Drama, same haircut -- the guy in the truck with Pablo in the introduction scene where his convoy gets stopped by the military, and Escobar scares them off by naming the entire squad and talking about their family members.

• Locked thread