Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well I just finished the finale, left it to end my weekend on, it was great. Counting down to next year already.

I had no qualms about the pacing, things went along pretty quickly and ramped up for the middle of the season. It did slow down towards the end but that is fine, the payoff is good.

210:
I loved the photo at the end, how it transitioned from the show to real life for a moment.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Finished it. My only complaint was I wish they spent a bit more time on the aftermath of what happens at the end instead of a cliffhanger for the next season. But I thought it was fantastic. Also gently caress off Pablo's mom you piece of poo poo.
I know right? She knew what her son did to people, yet says he is a good boy? That clip made me angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Morura's Spanish still sounds like poo poo

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Ended up binge watching four episodes in bed last night, this show owns.

I have to say they did a really good job portraying Escobar as equal parts family man and deranged mafia boss. I really got the feeling that at the end of the day, he just wanted his wife and kids to be happy and safe. Of course that doesn't excuse him, but I felt genuine sympathy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

drunkill posted:

Well I just finished the finale, left it to end my weekend on, it was great. Counting down to next year already.

I had no qualms about the pacing, things went along pretty quickly and ramped up for the middle of the season. It did slow down towards the end but that is fine, the payoff is good.

210:
I loved the photo at the end, how it transitioned from the show to real life for a moment.

I know right? She knew what her son did to people, yet says he is a good boy? That clip made me angry.

Well she is also hosed up like she can't tell the difference between right and wrong (the story she says about stealing the shoes). She's just hosed up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pablo should have gone into the jungle like he said he would. Can you imagine the timeline where he engineers a communist overthrow of the Colombian government?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stairmaster posted:

Pablo should have gone into the jungle like he said he would. Can you imagine the timeline where he engineers a communist overthrow of the Colombian government?

I don't think FARC would've put up with Pablo in the state he was at the time of his going to the jungle. FARC's base is a different kind of poor from Pablo's.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
onyl seen 2 episodes. do the fantastic jumpers pablo is wearing make a reappearance after the first episode and are there even better ones?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I don't think FARC would've put up with Pablo in the state he was at the time of his going to the jungle. FARC's base is a different kind of poor from Pablo's.

In fact, most of the drug cartels would rather associate with the cia than farc.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pablo's mom is the worst.

I was hoping she'd catch a bullet in the dome through the window after she went to church.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Jose posted:

onyl seen 2 episodes. do the fantastic jumpers pablo is wearing make a reappearance after the first episode and are there even better ones?

Yes. Also he plays Streets of Rage with his son. I was actually surprised how accurate that part was.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So was Pablo Escobar to be respected or not?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yes. Also he plays Streets of Rage with his son. I was actually surprised how accurate that part was.

i meant from season 2 but i liked that bit and he should have taken the pipe himself

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Well she is also hosed up like she can't tell the difference between right and wrong (the story she says about stealing the shoes). She's just hosed up.

It's worth noting that the story was complete bullshit, Pablo didn't grow up dirt poor, he grew up middle class and even went to university until dropping out for his life of crime. I didn't know what the show was thinking with him countlessly repeating he "came from nothing", did the show writers clearly not know this or were they doing it because they figured people knew it was him trying to embellish his accomplishments? Who knows.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pablo's the one writing this show... :tinfoil:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Love Crime posted:

It's worth noting that the story was complete bullshit, Pablo didn't grow up dirt poor, he grew up middle class and even went to university until dropping out for his life of crime. I didn't know what the show was thinking with him countlessly repeating he "came from nothing", did the show writers clearly not know this or were they doing it because they figured people knew it was him trying to embellish his accomplishments? Who knows.

Everyone appreciates the myth of being a self-made man, irregardless of their actual circumstance.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MiddleOne posted:

Everyone appreciates the myth of being a self-made man, irregardless of their actual circumstance.

Exactly. The middle class are very much in love with the idea of 'coming from nothing'. Temporarily embarrassed millionaires who truly believe their own bullshit, how hard they've worked. This is a story, not pure documentary. Maybe give the writers some credit. There is such a thing as interpretation in TV shows, it doesn't all have to be textual.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

Exactly. The middle class are very much in love with the idea of 'coming from nothing'. Temporarily embarrassed millionaires who truly believe their own bullshit, how hard they've worked. This is a story, not pure documentary. Maybe give the writers some credit. There is such a thing as interpretation in TV shows, it doesn't all have to be textual.

The real world Pablo also was popular with poor people since gave away massive amounts of money to charity and always tried to spin his whole humble background story.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think the writers of show wanted to make Pablo seem more sympathetic and the whole theme of magical realism going with that. Since the real Pablo Escobar was a murderous psychopath and you can't have a good show if the audience actively hates the main character.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I haven't gotten around to starting Season 2 yet, but in Season 1 there wasn't much of him coming from a poor background. In season 2 is it him just proclaiming he grew up poor or does the show actually try to make it look like he came from nothing?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Pablo just brought out everybody's inner bullshit mythology. Mothers, tv writers...EVERYBODY'S!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I haven't gotten around to starting Season 2 yet, but in Season 1 there wasn't much of him coming from a poor background. In season 2 is it him just proclaiming he grew up poor or does the show actually try to make it look like he came from nothing?

It's mostly Pablo and his mom being poo poo liars.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

I think the writers of show wanted to make Pablo seem more sympathetic and the whole theme of magical realism going with that. Since the real Pablo Escobar was a murderous psychopath and you can't have a good show if the audience actively hates the main character.

I kinda wish the theme of magical realism was more utilized in this season. The payoff for it just ends up being (209 spoiler) Pena getting shitcanned, which feels underwhelming.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pablo's thing is that, yeah, he was a bloodthirsty psychopathic druglord, but also legit believed his El Patrón persona and wanted to be adored by the Colombian people. Dude believed in his own bullshit, which is why he's such an intriguing character.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Dias posted:

Pablo's thing is that, yeah, he was a bloodthirsty psychopathic druglord, but also legit believed his El Patrón persona and wanted to be adored by the Colombian people. Dude believed in his own bullshit, which is why he's such an intriguing character.

The most convincing lies are the ones you tell yourself. Pablo very much believed that he deserved to be in power, whether through politics or through force. He is dissonance incarnate.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Maluco Marinero posted:

I did say it could've been something else other than bad writing but this show has such weird problems like a glued on mustache coming off in scenes, them zooming in on 2014 printers, slapping HD cut out feeds onto old rear end TV's, etc. Some of this show is just sloppy as all hell.

We can say it was Pablo just being Pablo and wanting to be loved by the poors but that doesn't explain Hermilda telling Tata that story. There was no reason for that happening other than what Dropsy says below.

DropsySufferer posted:

This is probably it but I think making such a lie on a show that tries to sell you on its authenticity with a narrator dropping history facts on you is bad writing. Think of how much better the scenes would've been if Steve had told you from the beginning "every time Pablo says he came from nothing he's lying" and you could just watch Wager Moura sell it to the people he keeps repeating it to. Would've been much better to me.

I don't think people knowing the truth about your upbringing reaches monkey cat level.

quote:

The infamous cat-monkey scene where Brundlefly fuses a cat and the remaining baboon and then beats it to death with a lead pipe was cut following a Toronto screening. According to producer Stuart Cornfeld the audience felt that there was no turning back for Seth and they lost all sympathy for his plight, which caused the rest of the film to not play as well. In Cornfeld's own words: "If you beat an animal to death, even a monkey-cat, your audience is not gonna be interested in your problems anymore".

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Love Crime posted:

We can say it was Pablo just being Pablo and wanting to be loved by the poors but that doesn't explain Hermilda telling Tata that story. There was no reason for that happening other than what Dropsy says below.

Maybe they were poor at that stage of Pablo's life?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Ragingsheep posted:

Maybe they were poor at that stage of Pablo's life?

Wouldn't make sense historically, Pablo's father owned a large family farm (which tells you just how far above the poors they were because the poors just worked other people's farms) that he ran with his children (Pablo actually had a lot of brothers/sisters unlike the show implies) and Hermilda was a teacher. Tata was actually married off to Pablo at 15 (he was almost 28) because he came from a much better off family.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 6, 2016

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's fiction. They change aspects of the characters in order to make the whole thing fit thematically, because real life doesn't have themes.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont know if the pace is too slow, but it does feels "stretched" at times. Still, way better than that rushed/documentary pace in some parts of season 1

And that my biggest complain, actually: it could have being slower in season 1, it could have spent more time showing Pablo rising and at his highest, living the good live his luxurious Hacienda Nápoles. It could have better developed the other druglords too, their rising etc. There was no reason to rush season 1 to end in Pablo's escape and then have him a whole season on the run

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:siren: Renewed for Season 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mgXpnfw6Wk
(edit 2: And season 4! http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/06/narcos-season-3-4 )

Jose posted:

Yes: https://www.facebook.com/NetflixANZ/videos/1269161993117676/ (no spoilers)
e:
http://i.imgur.com/FHGbBF0.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/DQFqZqe.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/PCMKQwN.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/KRksKtS.gifv

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 6, 2016

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013
Watching S1 now, just hit episode 8.

This has been a great show so far. I'm not terribly familiar with the history here... but how much of this dramatization can be considered based on real events? From the law enforcement angle everything feels really legit, but what about the inner-workings of Pablo Escobar's life? Was there some disclosure there at some point IRL, or are the writers just having fun? I'm just curious what the fact/fiction ratio of the events in this show settle out to be, if anyone has insight on that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Generally speaking they changed a lot of things.....to make them *less* crazy and complicated.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

bossfight posted:

This has been a great show so far. I'm not terribly familiar with the history here... but how much of this dramatization can be considered based on real events? From the law enforcement angle everything feels really legit, but what about the inner-workings of Pablo Escobar's life? Was there some disclosure there at some point IRL, or are the writers just having fun? I'm just curious what the fact/fiction ratio of the events in this show settle out to be, if anyone has insight on that.

Since you aren't reading spoilers I'll use spoiler free stuff: at best season one was half truthful with a lot of stuff, for season two it went down majorly to probably a quarter. They start making up assassinations in season two.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about it, it never happened, that awesome ambush of the Search Block, did it? I could not find anything about it

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about it, it never happened, that awesome ambush of the Search Block, did it? I could not find anything about it

Nope. The character he was based on is still alive to this day. He was never exiled to Spain to begin with and he was still in command when they killed Pablo.

Oh since you looked for it you probably already knew that, the most SB members killed at a single time was a bombing in a cafe that killed 3 of them. Over 100 SB died during the whole war though.

All of the SB stuff is almost completely fiction really, for instance in S1 when they go to kill Gacha they have Carrillo say how badly outnumbered they are compared to Gacha when the reality was they sent in over a thousand police and soldiers to Gacha's 19. Gacha also didn't suicide himself with a grenade like someone said earlier in the thread, that's just a Colombian myth.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 6, 2016

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

No. I think they kill him on the show to replace the fictionalized (and kind of evil) version with the real guy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah Carillo is based on his successor in the show, which is really weird

bossfight
Feb 16, 2013

Love Crime posted:

Since you aren't reading spoilers I'll use spoiler free stuff: at best season one was half truthful with a lot of stuff, for season two it went down majorly to probably a quarter. They start making up assassinations in season two.

Thanks. Thats good enough for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm only on episode 4, but I remember when Escobar was killed, and we were told in school "No it was wrong for them to shoot him without giving him a fair trial This show seriously makes it hard not to think that teacher was full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I'm only on episode 4, but I remember when Escobar was killed, and we were told in school "No it was wrong for them to shoot him without giving him a fair trial This show seriously makes it hard not to think that teacher was full of poo poo.

It's a good bet anyone who defends Pablo is either severely optimistic about whether human monsters exist or a coke user.

• Locked thread