Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

KidDynamite posted:

http://imgur.com/5Yh82kU

gently caress yes!!!! PM me if you're in north jersey

Hope your Ps4 gets bricked you yankee piece of poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

net cafe scandal posted:

Get back in your trashcan, dude.

I do feel oddly at home in the dustbins that populate the MGSV universe.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PriorMarcus posted:

I do feel oddly at home in the dustbins that populate the MGSV universe.
I like rolling around in that trashcan and puking everywhere in MGS4. It's like that movie Bad Grandpa but years prior.

Ruddha posted:

Just four days to go... :shepicide:

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Any tips for using sticky cover? I am seriously getting pissed of at blowing my cover when I only wanted Big Boss to get closer to the corner in order to jump my target.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ruddha posted:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mushball posted:

Any tips for using sticky cover? I am seriously getting pissed of at blowing my cover when I only wanted Big Boss to get closer to the corner in order to jump my target.

There really isn't. The cover controls in Ground Zeroes are super floaty when you are in cover, and super sticky when you're not. They're down right bad, and the only thing you can do is just deal with it. All accounts are that the cover controls (and controls generally) are much improved in TPP. I recommend only ever getting in near proximity, rather than actually ever pressing into cover. Only reason you should really mess with it is when you want to actively attempt a cover takedown, and you do not need to be directly at the corner to do those. Just press into cover sort of near the cover. I don't even think you need to be facing toward the corner to get the prompt.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heavy Metal posted:

Just four days to go... :shepicide:
IV has come to!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PriorMarcus posted:

Each one is more like 40/40, with the last 20% being other things.

And Afghanistan and Africa both kind of feel dull by the end of it.

Man, don't say that. :ohdear:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

KidDynamite posted:

http://imgur.com/5Yh82kU

gently caress yes!!!! PM me if you're in north jersey

More like Day Negative Four Edition, jerk

I love you

Jerk

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Deakul posted:

Man, don't say that. :ohdear:

I think it's fair to say you'll get relatively sick of roughly the same maps after 20+ hours. When news broke there was basically only two areas (as large as they may be) I was pretty disappointed.

I'm still incredibly excited. I mean, I am sick and tired of Camp Omega, but it is still a really well designed map and getting bored of the location didn't stop me from dumping 100 hours into the game. Still, variety is nice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kiggles posted:

I think it's fair to say you'll get relatively sick of roughly the same maps after 20+ hours
No I won't, gently caress you.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Everybody playin the game early be like

:rock:whoa-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm over here like

:smith: words that kill.....

You feel me? That guy knows what I'm talkin about. Don't forget to tip your waitress

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

No I won't, gently caress you.

I'm still not bored of Camp Omega after 20+ hours

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frankston posted:

I'm still not bored of Camp Omega after 20+ hours
Yeah, I put like 20 hours into GZ around the time it got released, but I went back and played some of it a week or 2 ago and I still wasn't bored of it. There's so much to do and to discover.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kiggles posted:

I think it's fair to say you'll get relatively sick of roughly the same maps after 20+ hours. When news broke there was basically only two areas (as large as they may be) I was pretty disappointed.

Yeah, honestly, Afghanistan could be half the size and not feel crowded, freeing up time/space/development for a third area. It doesn't help that while there's lots of bases on the maps, they all feel pretty samey, to the point where I started forgetting if I'd been someone before as multiple missions take place on the same bases.

But, it's still a loving amazing game, it just suffers from all the predictable problems that someone's first ever 'open world game' would suffer from, it's just a shame Kojima won't be able to take this formula and refine it in the next outing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, I'm guessing every Phantom Pain mission will take place in say a different base, right? Saying it has two locations is kind of like saying GTA5 has one location perhaps?

GZ save question, somebody said there was an upload save option in GZ, and a download save option in Phantom Pain. Is this a PC thing, not seeing it in the GZ menu on PS4. I'd guess TPP could just read the GZ save off my hard drive, like you'd expect?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I put like 20 hours into GZ around the time it got released, but I went back and played some of it a week or 2 ago and I still wasn't bored of it. There's so much to do and to discover.

Best part is from the streams I've seen, the whole game world is even more detailed than Camp Omega.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kiggles posted:

I'm still incredibly excited. I mean, I am sick and tired of Camp Omega, but it is still a really well designed map and getting bored of the location didn't stop me from dumping 100 hours into the game. Still, variety is nice.

It's great that all these people that hate Metal Gear games got the game early. :stonkhat:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know what time the psn version is going to unlock on Tuesday?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Heavy Metal posted:

Is this a PC thing,

yes

~justpcthings~

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Das Butterbrot posted:

yes

~justpcthings~
press triangle: *Salutes Das Butterbrot*

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Did they ever fix the mouse sensitivity for different zoom levels in PC Ground Zeroes?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ Nope

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's great that all these people that hate Metal Gear games got the game early. :stonkhat:
C'mon, no need to be like that. Being bored with a map can be entirely removed from still enjoying the gameplay.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
METAL THEFT SOLID V

Mithaldu posted:

Did they ever fix the mouse sensitivity for different zoom levels in PC Ground Zeroes?

I'm guessing not but I never had trouble with it. Low in-game sensitivity and high DPI seems to work well with it. Probably fixed for TPP though if it was ever brought up when the PC team was asking for feedback.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone know what time the psn version is going to unlock on Tuesday?

The PSN store says midnight pacific 9/1 and no one has any other information to the contrary

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

acksplode posted:

The PSN store says midnight pacific 9/1 and no one has any other information to the contrary

I do. It says for me that the game itself unlocks in 3d 06 : 23 : 43 which is uhhhhh... 9pm PST on the PSN.
edit: on Monday

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Mithaldu posted:

^^ Nope
Thanks.

Terminally Bored posted:

Is the PC port going to be poo poo?
Nah, Ground Zeroes worked great, TPP will be even better. PC version was originally going to have a two weeks delay but they're so confident that they moved it back to September 1st.
You probably want to add to the OP that the PC version will possibly require a gamepad to be fully playable.

Mechathief posted:

I'm guessing not but I never had trouble with it. Low in-game sensitivity and high DPI seems to work well with it. Probably fixed for TPP though if it was ever brought up when the PC team was asking for feedback.
Why would they fix it for TPP but not for Ground Zeroes? It's not something that needs a huge amount of code, or configuration. It's one of the few things that are actually really simple to fix in a game.

Or did they just not touch GZ after the first round of game-breaking fixes?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

redreader posted:

I do. It says for me that the game itself unlocks in 3d 06 : 23 : 43 which is uhhhhh... 9pm PST on the PSN.
Which is 11pm for me :rock:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

You probably want to add to the OP that the PC version will possibly require a gamepad to be fully playable.

The alternative is a high DPI mouse. Once you get up around 6K DPI you can set your windows mouse speed (turn off pointer precision!) and in-game sensitivity settings to 0. The problem is largely the mouse stepping for DPI 'ticks' causing your aim to jump in huge steps. If you have a solid mouse, you can just be a little more discrete with your mouse aiming and the zoom works just fine, and the higher you can crank your mouse DPI, the better (so general camera control doesn't feel sluggish. Doing this even aiming at max zoom will avoid any of those large skips or jumps.

It is certainly obnoxious, but it hardly makes the game unplayable. This isn't remotely a case of Dark Souls that had such an abysmal keyboard/mouse configuration, what with REVERSE mouse acceleration.

It IS stupid they haven't fixed it. I couldn't even begin to speculate why it never was.

EDIT: there was a Steam community post by Koji Pro specifically addressing this had been fixed for TPP.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 28, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mithaldu posted:

But that's not even true? It has some issues but they've specifically asked the fans about the control problems GZ had and said they're working them into TPP. We won't know how successful they were at it until it comes out though, but you have never needed a gamepad for GZ PC.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, and here i thought my 1600 DPI mouse was high DPI. :v:

As far as i could tell from that, and a random sampling of friends, i figured binoc/sniper would be literally unusable for the average person with an average mouse.

I guess that's wrong if 4000 is the new average or something.

Nakar posted:

But that's not even true? It has some issues but they've specifically asked the fans about the control problems GZ had and said they're working them into TPP. We won't know how successful they were at it until it comes out though, but you have never needed a gamepad for GZ PC.
I have a 1600 DPI mouse and binocs/sniper are literally unusable, so i'm not sure what to tell you.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

redreader posted:

Oh nice. I'm outta town without access to my PS4 right now so I haven't had a chance to check out the countdown recently. Sony should update the item description in the PSN store though :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've been dicking around a bit in GZ and for the life of me I just cannot do a CQC disarm. I tap R2 then immediately hold down L2 and Snake just slams them to the ground or punches them out. :(

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

As far as i could tell from that, and a random sampling of friends, i figured binoc/sniper would be literally unusable for the average person with an average mouse.

Nah. I was actually using mine at 800 DPi when the game came out. It's obnoxious, but it's still OK. REALLY obnoxious, but let's be honest, it's still better than a controller. Even when it comes to that. Just turn your windows sensitivity down; it basically just multiplies your mouse input, which is what causes those huge skips when aiming.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
^^^ What? No, Never change your Windows sensitivity for a game. Change the in-game sensitivity.

Mithaldu posted:

Why would they fix it for TPP but not for Ground Zeroes? It's not something that needs a huge amount of code, or configuration. It's one of the few things that are actually really simple to fix in a game.

Or did they just not touch GZ after the first round of game-breaking fixes?

I dont know. I want to say it's the latter because Konami and they were probably way more focused on making TPP good than fixing minor things in a glorified demo that could potentially break or make things worse for others who don't have that problem. There's more than a few improvements from TPP that didn't get retroactively patched into GZ as it is.

You said you had a 1600 DPI mouse, did you try the in-game sensitivity adjustment? It goes down all the way to 0 for some reason. For me, I went with 3000 DPI with an in-game sensitivity of 0 and I just don't have the problem you're talking about. I had to crank DPI up because it was actually way too insensitive on 0.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 28, 2015

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I've been dicking around a bit in GZ and for the life of me I just cannot do a CQC disarm. I tap R2 then immediately hold down L2 and Snake just slams them to the ground or punches them out. :(

Make sure your stick is neutral, you're slamming people to the ground because you're pressing the analog stick in a direction when you press R2. If it helps, I find it easier to do a couple R2 taps before I hit L2. You can do the disarm at any point in the combo before the final punch.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

DrNutt posted:

The CQC sequences are a bit fiddly until you understand them. To perform the disarm or combo you have to make sure the stick is at neutral (or on KBM that you're not pushing down a directional key) and to only tap the buttons. I believe to do the disarm you need to be neutral on the stick, tap R2 once, then tap and hold L2. Having one of these things wrong out of sequence causes you to just throw or punch them.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

DrNutt posted:

If he's slamming them you're hitting the stick. If you do a standing cqc punch then L2, you will do it every time. The trick is to train yourself to let go of the stick as soon as you stop by someone, before you press anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Nah. I was actually using mine at 800 DPi when the game came out. It's obnoxious, but it's still OK. REALLY obnoxious, but let's be honest, it's still better than a controller. Even when it comes to that. Just turn your windows sensitivity down; it basically just multiplies your mouse input, which is what causes those huge skips when aiming.
I'm gonna give that a try. See how it turns out.

BTW, it's not a multiplication issue. It's just that they get as input from the OS "mouse moved 1 pixel", and their engine always translates it to "view camera rotates 0.05 degrees" (or some other fixed number). That works fine if your camera is always at the same zoom level and you tune it for the default. But if the camera view changes from 90° down to 10° as with a binoc, then those 0.05 degrees are suddenly huge. The fix would be 2 simple divisions, cachable whenever the camera zoom changes.

It's extra weird for that bug to remain in, since that logic is also needed for stick controls.

• Locked thread