Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I agree with the dude who said the thread should be called I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS PAIN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Richard McBeef posted:

Looking forward to goons defending an incomprehensible storyline written by a madman.

It's the story of a man and his box

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CharlieWhiskey posted:

While I pre-ordered a CE in March, my honeymoon ended up being booked Sept 2 to Sept 10. So I get a few hours of play Tuesday night/Wednesday morning before getting on a plane for France for a few days in the Alps in the south, then a few days in Paris.

Nerd-deflated for some time, my nerd-hype/emotion rollercoaster accelerated when I found out that there is a Metal Gear Cafe and Metal Gear Store in Paris to hype the launch. I was very excite to visit this romantic restaurant on my honeymoon. Luckily, we are renting an apartment a few minutes walk away from both locations.

Now this morning, I'm learning that they are shutting down operations around Sept 5, but I wont set foot in Paris until Sept 7. :negative:

Honorable Lord Kojima, I know I have wronged you, but must you torture me thus

e/n/tl;dr: I can only play this game for a few hours at launch, and I will also narrowly miss visiting the MGS5 cafe in Paris

You know, you could just bring your system of choice with you and play the game at night after your wife goes to sleep.

...my wedding is Sept 5 and I'm strongly considering doing that myself.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

Exactly. Please don't do this my god what is wrong with you.

Everyone knows the only real solution here is to cancel the wedding.

Woah woah woah that's a little much there buddy.

Maybe just postpone it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CharlieWhiskey posted:

She gets one week without MGS5, then I get the rest of Twenty Fifteen to rocket punch bears.

fixed

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Cowbert posted:

If Big Boss is a legend on the battlefield, why is he always sneaking around and avoiding combat?

Yes, Big Boss is a master of stealth and subt-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHryCoCeCM

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sprat Sandwich posted:

WHERE'S THE PRELOAD SONY!?

Preload will be available on PS4 starting Sunday apparently

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Raxivace posted:

Why does Konami want all of the Mother Base Coins? What could they possibly planning to use them for?!

To rebuild the Philosophers' Legacy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It looks like the PSN countdown timer changed to 12 AM EST on 9/1 instead of PST. :woop:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been more of a pushback against this kind of thing. Publishers typically go after people that break street dates with the legal equivalent of a carpet bombing

Konami is too busy playing pachinko

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Vitamin P posted:

Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Game

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

lovely Wizard posted:

MGS4 managed to sell 6 million on one platform, 4 is pretty conservative since this is on 5 platforms - 360,PS3,Xbone,PS4, and PC.

I think a lot of the target audience bought a PS3 specifically for MGS4, but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets 8 or 9 million.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Honestly, though, you have been trying to download for an awfully long time. Don't you have anything better to do?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dohaeris posted:

So that Peeler guy is really annoyed everyone can't figure out his goddam hieroglyphics. When does this game unlock on PC? In an hour? In 12 hours? Never and this is the actual "Phantom Pain"?

The Ground Zeroes imports I've lost...the game that won't unlock...they won't stop hurting.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Deakul posted:

how can games even be real when our hands arent real i mean if you stop to think about it were all phantoms in this life passing eachother by like sudden pains in your leg and seriously tho .....

makes you think

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Terminally Bored posted:

Konami just put up the game manual.

"COUNTORY"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

So it sounds like you only get the recruits from Ground Zeroes if you import the save with them extracted, but you don't get them right away.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dezztroy posted:

You'll miss out on some unique soldiers. That's pretty much it.

I'm betting that one tape is something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

Which tape

like, how do you get it because I'd like to listen to it at least

In the Classified Intel Acquisition mission, if you just get the one tape Kaz mentions there must have been a second. If you find and hold up a bald guy in the base in that mission, he gives you a tape and Kaz says it had stuff about the torture expansion plans or whatever. But the tape you actually get is called "Not for use in Music Players" and it's a bunch of white noise. Apparently people have figured out that it contains an MSX header file that says VOL 2, then it's just noise.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How do you get the coins in-game? Because none of the amounts you can buy from the store equal a FOB so I hope you can get them in-game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

435 minutes but who's counting :f5:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm still WAITING for this pain

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

jauk3n posted:

So how does everyone like metal gear solid V the phantom pain: the longest introduction edition?

Someone hasn't played Snake Eater

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

jauk3n posted:

I did, bunch of times, I feel like this is longer, even rescuing Kaz feels like introduction (learning to do missions again).

The codecs and cutscenes are interminable at the beginning of Snake Eater. "I can't teach you what to think. You'll just have to figure it out for yourself!" I didn't really feel like the Kaz thing was introduction at all. There's a lot of dudes to get by and you're given no instruction at all, with a (very forgiving) time limit to boot.

quote:

This game is kinda bad if you enjoyed the old Metal Gear gameplay

Nah. I love the old games (just beat MGS1 and MGS2 again over the weekend) and this game owns.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 1, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

I did not own a PS Triple or a PSP so I don't know what happened between 3 and 5. Is there a site that will tell me what I need to know going into 5 without spoiling 5?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Peace_Walker#Plot

4 is set after MGS2 so no need to think about it at all

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Abu Dave posted:

Can someone explain how Ocelot is now friends with Big Boss I didn't play MGSPW or PO or is this a late game reveal thing

-Ocelot was always supposed to be the one helping Snake in Snake Eater, he was Adam, but decided to play it cool after EVA beat him there.. The bullet he carried to kill snake with the whole game was a blank. He helped Snake in the fight against Volgin and said a friendly goodbye at the end of the game on the plane (after revealing the blank)
-Ocelot is gay for Big Boss
-Ocelot told Zero at the end of Portable Ops he'd only give him the Legacy if Big Boss is allowed to join the Patriots, or something

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

notZaar posted:

I think he's completely absent from those games, so if you played MGS3 you're all caught up. Who knows who he is working for this time, he just shows up to rescue BB.

No he shows up at the end of metal gear poops

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Smelly posted:

I just fultoned a freaking bear and it looked absolutely pitiful dangling there.

quote:

Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Schroeder91 posted:

My package has been delayed because of severe weather. Son of a bitch!

Wow, he must be crazy to fly a Hind in this kind of weather.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DrNutt posted:

Lol yeah no poo poo but Kaz has died like four times and D-Horse twice. This is complete garbage and really who the gently caress thought this was fun after the actual real cool and fun stealth gameplay against not retarded zombie enemies?

You literally can't die even if you go straight at them as long as you actually run with D-horse. Hit square a lot

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Does this game pull any huge fakeouts, like MGS2 forcing you to play most of the game as a metrosexual sissy boy who can't get off the phone with his girlfriend?

Yes, but not until the first ending, read the spoiler thread or google if you want it spoiled

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dangerous Person posted:

Aside from being the evolution of Peace Walker this feels like a way more refined version of the sneaking I did back in Snake Eater.

It's the evolution of Peace Walker, Snake Eater, and MGS4 all in different ways. This is really taking all the features of the previous games and putting them together into a whole that's actually a lot of fun to play.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tired at work because of staying up past 1 AM playing Phantom Pain and all I can think about is going home to play more.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

No, they end up living there for several decades, creating an elaborate tunnel network to connect to one another. The most experienced member of this group, "War-fatigued Mozart", creates the dumpster-based PMC that can be learned about in several hidden documents in MGS2. The truly dedicated players can discover that they were the ones behind the Patriots the whole time.

"I came to love the stench. The stench was so bad, it was the only thing that smelled worse than the stench of humanity and my own past. Only when I was in the dumpster, sifting through baby diapers, could I feel any happiness."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They say it either in poops or MGS4, or both.

Of course he was the DARPA chief, I mean there's like 3 black people in MGS history (SigInt, Fortune, Fortune's dad, and I guess that's it?)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I like in the opening credits of missions how it says Revolver "Shalashaska" Ocelot, as though Revolver is the first name given to him by his parents.

Or Ocelot, for that matter.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah. And it's loving annoying. Because it's constantly going off at different angles to the Boss and jerking all over the place and looking at the wrong thing.

A game camera is not a cinema camera, and developers need to stop acting like it is.

It was a very deliberate choice here, especially giving the opening/ending credits to missions.

It makes more sense when you realize that Kojima's life dream was to make movies (he apparently stayed up super late watching movies with his dad who died when he was a kid). He's just not good enough at it to make movies, so he makes games. He's always tried to make his games as cinematic as possible given the technology of the time, and now he can go way the hell overboard.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Manatee Cannon posted:

There isn't any button prompt for interacting with DD so far but I could swear that that was a thing? Ocelot implies that I should spend time with it but I don't know how.

Probably they were meaning to put in some play with dog stuff and they didn't get around to it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mailer posted:

My life was changed forever when I learned that you could maim people with normally lethal rifles and extract them while they rolled around on the ground whining about their legs.

There's only a chance of it working, however. There's a significant chance they die on the way up (usually I see a 30% indicator if they're on the ground mortally wounded)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of mechanics, there's too many of them. Do we really need to be able to fulton animals for example?

Yes. Yes we doo.

AROOOOOOOoooooo....

• Locked thread