Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Best video game series of all time, also the greatest achievement in cinema history. I'm gonna salute my TV screen every ten minutes during this game, goddamn.

V has come to, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If this doesn't win the Oscar for best film, I don't know what will.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Stairmaster posted:

Miller should go to jail
Unrelated, I'd like Master Miller to shoot somebody and say "It's Miller time you son of a bitch"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PriorMarcus posted:

I do feel oddly at home in the dustbins that populate the MGSV universe.
I like rolling around in that trashcan and puking everywhere in MGS4. It's like that movie Bad Grandpa but years prior.

Ruddha posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
Just four days to go... :shepicide:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, I'm guessing every Phantom Pain mission will take place in say a different base, right? Saying it has two locations is kind of like saying GTA5 has one location perhaps?

GZ save question, somebody said there was an upload save option in GZ, and a download save option in Phantom Pain. Is this a PC thing, not seeing it in the GZ menu on PS4. I'd guess TPP could just read the GZ save off my hard drive, like you'd expect?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Das Butterbrot posted:

yes

~justpcthings~
press triangle: *Salutes Das Butterbrot*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mithaldu posted:

and annoying enough for me to skip on the PC version unless i'm 100% they fixed that, and take the PS3 version instead.
Why not use the PS3 controller on your PC? Or any controller, a 360 one, etc.

Bholder posted:

So I grew weak and looked up some Fat Miller gameplay.

First thing I see: Tranq gun has limited suppressor

That's it, the game is ruined.
Peel some caps off on some fools, it's fuuuuun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got Metal Gear fever. I got Metal Gear fever. I got Metal Gear fever.
On the battlefield... the only prescription... is more cowbell...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

swamp waste posted:

Adjusted for inflation, that is one-half the retail price of Metal Gear. The NES game
Games sell much better now than they did in those days. MG sold 1 million and MGS2 sold over 7 million for example, at least that's what I read. Plus back then it seemed to me renting games was more common than buying them.

VHS tapes originally costed a whole lot more than DVDs did, but they seem to make money off of DVDs, etc.

And on MGS5 in particular, they got a bit of a cash injection by selling the prologue for up to $30 last year.

Personally I'm not worried about the FOB thing, I'm all about that solo masterpiece. My PS+ just ran out too, I'll pick it back up sometime for MGO though. I wonder if you can have a FOB without PS+, getting the benefits without the invasions..

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 29, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yardbomb posted:

Some info earlier actually said the opposite, you can be invaded without PS+/Gold, but can't defend without it :allears:
I think I'll "opt out" of this FOB thingy. It was kind of amusing being interrupted during Watch_Dogs when I was hacked by random people, but after a while I'd rather just play the solo game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Paranoid Dude posted:

Because it's the best game ever made? I'd wager that's the reason.
Was my favorite game ever at the time, but I've got a feeling this one could be even better. Especially from a gameplay perspective, though it might be tough to top that adventure, having a Hayter cardboard box speech, etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I wonder where Ocelot falls here on a scale from lovable naive goof in MGS3 to torture loving lovable gunslinger in MGS. It looks more like the former, but I'm hoping for more of the latter. The crazier the better.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bholder posted:

The moment he said how much he loves torture in MGS3 after seeing Big Boss wetting himself?
Okay maybe he always loved torture, but you know what I'm sayin'. He comes across as a mustache twirling sinister kind of guy in MGS, and he seems like a lovable kid in MGS3. In the context of the battlefield and shooting lots of people of course. I'm hoping for some edge in my Ocelot. I like my Ocelot like I like my coffee, dark and crazy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RatHat posted:

Ocelot is not a good person.
He's lovable though, that's for sure. Entertainment value is the only moral value here, and he's A #1. I just dig the older Ocelot even more than young Ocelot, he's extra out there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ocelot is a bad man, but in the cool 80s sense. He's so bad.

I hope he spins his guns for at least 90 seconds uninterrupted, and says his name many times throughout the game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Snake looked pretty cool without a shirt on, Liquid looks very cool, Vamp looks cool, and Quiet also looks quite cool. I watch wrestling though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Everybody should where a trenchcoat with no shirt, it's how Liquid would want it. It's how Kyle Reese does it, and that guy was on the box of the first Metal Gear. (Or somebody suspiciously similar)

Diamond Flasher Hobo Dogs

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

re: Cowbert

Big Boss posted:

This is good... isn't it.

MykonosFan posted:

Playing some Subsistence right now and just wanted to chip in as a Zoo Tycoon fan and show my respect for the thread title
Mmm... this bear is tasty. (Actual quote from MGS5:TPP)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hideo Kojima and Shuyo Murata wrote and directed a video game called MGS4 and I personally find it to be very good, it's a delight. I think Metal Gear mk. II is a fun little buddy too. Those gents years later would make MGS5, which has me pretty excited.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Machine posted:

Finished MGS2 for the first time tonight... Immediately started MGS3. I'll have most of the day tomorrow, and all of Monday + most of Tuesday (before my copy of V arrives from Amazon) to finish MGS3 and Peace Walker.

Not gonna sleep much over the next few days! Excited.
Enjoy! Though my guess is you might not be able to fit PeaceWalker in there by the time MGSV comes (to).

Solid Snake just laid a bunch of deep stuff on you, the man became quite the poet all of a sudden. drat he's cool.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Capn Beeb posted:

With a fairly modern gun

what the heck
That fight took place in '95, for the record. One year after D2: The Mighty Ducks took place.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For you, today is the day Hideo Kojima graced your village with his masterpiece. For me... it was Tuesday.

I could use a time paradox...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Otacon partook in a slow motion fist bump. He is all man. (Handshake thingy, it was boss either way)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vikar Jerome posted:

i like to think huey invented a time travel viewer thing and saw how much of a weird weeaboo
Otaku, I would think. A true otaku warrior.

How would Huey feel if he knew he was a knockoff of his weird son? Talk about a time paradox.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nitrousoxide posted:

The best boss in the entire series.
I'm hoping this game can top my favorite epic boss fight in the series. The ladder.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jack Trades posted:

gently caress Konami for canceling the PC version compatibility.
I'm playing on PS4 but I'm not gonna use that thingy. I assume requesting support choppers and whatnot is done fairly easily in the ingame menu? Beats fumbling with another device (while draining it's battery).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5LKJid28xA
The question is if anyone in MB is into punk and if it rubs off on BB.
Venom Snake is named after the band Venom I presume, so BB is clearly a metal man. But we can meet in the middle with some Motorhead.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Raged posted:

Is this game worth buying if you never have played a Metal Gear game? I have played very major game series since the C=64 days but this one.
I say jump on in! C'mon do it, do it now! Stop trying to play it and play it! Get to the choppa!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ocelot just told me I was pretty good :swoon:
:3:

(Tomorrow afternoon for me!)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Look Sir Droids posted:

Anybody have trouble getting online? Mine keeps saying server maintenance so I can't upload my GZ save data.
It's down for me too (PS4). I uploaded my GZ data already, but I'm guessing it's not downloading it yet with the server down.

I forget when you get Eye and Finger, Kojima, etc, I'm guessing if I get the save downloaded before whichever missions those are it'll be all good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fatcat214 posted:

it should be considered a crime to make a game this perfect
Hell yes, Hideo is the master! I'm just on the second mission, but it's rocking my face already.

Time from start of game to somebody saying "...on the battlefield" was just right... on the battlefield....

Frankston posted:

My download should hopefully be done by tomorrow guys. Is it good? I'm excited to play.
Oh it's good.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 1, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Like they say, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. (Gonna need a tranq bazooka gun or something to defeat and capture this bear)

GOTYForevers *salutes*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr E posted:

Shoot it in the head about 20 times and it'll go down.
The bear is a solid foe, it might take me a while to get the skills to shoot him that many times (without being mauled). I respect this mighty bear.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wooper posted:

Has anyone actually bothered getting this as retail? I wouldn't but the game is just way cheaper for me that way, but I'm wondering if I need to actually need the disc since I have no drive.
I got it on PS4 that way, you need the disc yep. If you mean PC, I hear it just includes a steam code and not much on the disc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

UberJew posted:

Is there a way to check what these skills on my guys actually mean? I can't find an examine button or a list of what they mean either
Good question. From what I can tell, other than the language interpreter, I think they're all for unlocking more equipment to develop.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Captain McStabbin posted:

When you're looking at the personnel list, there should be a button labeled "Change view", or something like that that'll, expand the person's profile. On an xbox controller it's Y, iirc.
Cool, thanks.

By the way I just defeated my first bear, standing on a rock was what separated man from bearfood. Now he's my buddy.

Loving this game! At least eighty stars out of ten.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Look Sir Droids posted:

I know. It's just not how I've Metal Geared in the past. And it's really fun not having to Metal Gear that way anymore, but I have to teach myself to just go with the flow.

This game is the balls.
I concur the game has balls, but it's been like this at least since Snake Eater. And I sure killed plenty of people in the first two. Unless you mean it's easier to get a higher rank now loud style. The beauty of Metal Gear is how you have several options, and it's forgiving enough that it's not a you're seen and have to start over kind of series. But always just enough challenge to keep it feeling intense enough

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Partial Octopus posted:

How the gently caress did they get this game to run so good? I'm getting constant 60 fps at max settings and it hasn't dipped once in over 12 hours of playing. My PC isn't even that good.
And even on PS4, it's really impressive to see a beautiful game running at 60 fps. 30 fps has pretty much been the standard.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nail Rat posted:

He wore a scarf, did all kind of gunslinging, and had boot spurs in MGS3. He was always trying to be a cowboy. And the only difference between MGS5 Ocelot and MGS1/2 Ocelot is he's less old.
He seems a lot more normal and nice, practically a different character from MGS1 Ocelot. Would've been interesting to see how Patric Zimmerman would've played this material. In this he seems like a more mellow version of MGS3 Ocelot pretty much.

Granted I'm relatively early in the game, he might be up to his old tricks. And I guess 20 more years is plenty of time to get cranky, after all BB sure went through a few stages in life too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

StringOfLetters posted:

You're seeing him as an ally in MGS5. He puts on the crazy face, grandstanding and monologuing when he has a worthy arch-enemy.
That is an interesting point, I suppose he is kind of mellow when chatting with Liquid in MGS. It is true perspective is a thing, but I still think he has a whole different vibe. Voice actor being a big part of that I'm sure, but he's almost jovial. I dig it, it's fun that they put Ocelot in all the console MGS games and he keeps filling different roles, he's almost like a chameleon.

Nail Rat posted:

Keep in mind that after MGS3, Ocelot is basically gay for Big Boss(as seen at the end of Portable Ops as well), so he's happy to be nice to him and hang out with him in Phantom Pain. He's a dick in all the later games because he's willing to screw over literally everyone else in the name of Big Boss.
Also a good point.

• Locked thread