Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

gently caress me this game is so amazing. I'm coming into it almost completely blind, I totally ignored GZ and this poo poo is blowing my mind. I'm getting like nothing done at work this week, just wanna get back to fultoning sheep and capturing outposts and poo poo.

Quick stand-out moment from last night: I'd managed to piss off quite a few Russian soldiers, and passing through an outpost at night on the way back to my LZ, I decided to take out their comms antenna to try and stem the tide of angry men. (I saw somebody above say this doesn't do anything, but if you alert an outpost, you do get reinforcements showing up in a truck sometimes.) I was spotted after I hit the transmitter, and they sent up a huge, bright signal flare instead. I'd never seen that before, I lost sight of the enemy in the glare. The chopper arrived a little ways uphill, and I started falling back under the cover of its miniguns. For some extra action and drama, I held a little last stand near the LZ, until, oh poo poo, right, mortars! Time to go! I jumped into the chopper with explosions falling all around me.
You're leaving now ~~~

Back to FAT CAMP.
My goddamn emblem makes me giggle madly every single time I see it, my wife is starting to give me weird looks.
In my mind, all my FAT CAMP volunteers need two fultons to be extracted.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Neon Knight posted:

I beat that early mission with a sort of boss fight. After the fight you just need to extract.. So I took that opportunity to wander around the now clear area for all the goodies. As an idiot I fell off a platform and ruined my no retries score and probably lost my first S rank. On the plus side, I fultoned a bunch of soldiers left stunned by the boss and I think they all had service medals because of that. If you are at the end of a mission and there are no one left around you, just start stealing poo poo, also blow up the Air Radar and you can likely call extraction right on top of you.

Oh, yeah I had an awesome time doing this one too. There was an enemy fort with a helipad surrounded by walls and guard towers, with a single gate at the front. I extracted a prisoner, blew up my pre-placed C4 on the air radar, then tossed smoke into the gateway. Literally holding down the fort waiting for extraction with that prisoner felt amazingly badass.

I've also been thinking about the level of stealth vs. action in this game in regards to earlier posters talking about how much sneaking the game should allow or require and it really makes sense to me to allow and encourage much more open conflict. Granted I have not played GZ or Peace Walker, so I'd like to know if those games put me way off base here.

In earlier MGS games, we hear Snake(s) talk about THE BATTLEFIELD all the time, Snake is described as the ultimate soldier, not the ultimate spy or secret agent, and yet prior to this game, all we got to see was infiltration and covert ops. It's really awesome to see Snake/Big Boss in this new context, kind of proving or re-forging his reputation. It makes total sense to have different rules of engagement for the front lines of the Soviet-Afghan war than for infiltration of secret Russian/US installations. Sure I've got to sneak past patrols or whatever when the consequences for capture or detection include a nuclear exchange, but here, hell, if I'm out on patrol and I've just encountered a Afghan fighter taken prisoner by like a platoon of Russian soldiers in an active war zone, why shouldn't I hit them with some grenades or artillery before gunning the rest down with an unsuppressed AK?

At the same time, after the dust clears and there are 3-4 guys rolling around in agony with a 20% or whatever chance to survive Fulton extraction, I do feel kinda lovely... like there must be a better way :smith:. That aftermath more than anything encourages me to sneak around and be less of a monster, not to mention all the potential recruits for Mother Base I'm missing out on.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I think kicking them awake then stabbing them from a CQC grab is the fastest non-bullet way.

Sigma-X posted:

Mission 9 tips

You can actually refill the ammo of the uber-launcher. The cargo truck right outside the relay base/big outpost/fort thing has a crate of rocket ammo in the back. If you follow that guide it's perfect since you can swing by after taking out the gunship and first tank and have full CGM ammo for the last two tanks.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Wow I finally have all the buddies, Quiet and D-Walker own. First deployment with Quiet I dropped into Afghanistan free-roam in the NW corner and murdered every single Soviet in every outpost from there to the SE corner clearing all the side-ops. Only downside was she popped one extraction target before I could tranq him. So crazy powerful.

The walker's dual tranq pistols are hilarious since you can't aim precisely in first person with them, but skating through a base pumping out tranq darts while everyone freaks out is great. Just a good thing it doesn't have a bond level since I get it blown up a LOT.

Also though the AT missiles on that thing suck total rear end. Takes the entire stock ammo loadout (8 missiles!) to kill one lightly armored BMP. Are the upgraded launchers even strong enough to kill a tank? Should I even bother when it seems like the man-portable versions for BB are several times more powerful and I could be using a flamethrower instead? :cawg:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 7, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

RatHat posted:

Yeah he'll fire them on lone soldiers. Though I've seen him miss(with the level 1 rockets) so they don't seem very accurate.

Well they are unguided HE rocket pods so that's 100% true to life. Now, will the chopper fire the ATGMs at infantry like the enemy AI uses it to lock onto Snake (somehow?!?)

• Locked thread