Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mechanics question for GZ and TPP, is there a difference at the end of the day between tranqing a nerd, punching a nerd, choking a nerd, or stabbing/shooting a nerd? Do any of those nerds come back, either by waking up or respawn mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

You can also hold people up and they stay down until either someone comes and kicks them or an alarm goes off. You can very easily switch around between different non-dead states, for example if you have to knock a guy out because he sees you, you can just kick him while he's down and hold him up, or you can knock out a guy who's held up, carry him somewhere, wake him up and hold him up again. You have a large degree of flexibility in how you gently caress with the AI and you really want to exploit it all. The game is loaded with mechanics and the more of them you use on a regular basis the more fun you'll have.

JFC I forgot you could do holdups entirely, I did them all the time in the other games :mad:

I need to muck about in Ground Zeroes some more, I play so boringly by default.

Speaking of controls, is there a faster way to move a still-conscious person somewhere else than grabbing and dragging? That is so unbelievably slow :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I am just the worst at hiding in Ground Zeroes. Everything keeps devolving into a nasty, explosive firefight.

Not that that isn't FUN, mind you, but myyy scooore :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have to seriously fight the compulsion to restart every time I'm discovered or an alert ends in a bloodbath, it's really bad :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

There's a difference between "defending" microtransactions and not FREAKING. THE. gently caress OUT. over microtransactions. Hope this new knowledge will make this thread less terrible.

Let's face it, we all knew the thread would be terrible when it was posted a week before release. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress me you can throw bodies? How many loving controls and mechanics do I still not know?! :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't get home until 9 Pacific. I'm going to have to try and download it while everyone else is unlocking and playing it. :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

That would mean you're starting your download at about the same time as everybody else.

I assumed they would allow preloading sometime between now and then. :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does TPP tutorialize much? I spent a looong time trying to come to grips with the controls in GZ, because I'm one of those hopeless babies who's gotten rather used to the modern era of eschewing manuals in favor of ingame tutorials. :(

(edit and then of course after I was done playing I realized I'd completely missed things like holdups and throwing bodies)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Urthor posted:

If you already learnt the controls by playing Ground Zero, why's there a problem?

Curiosity and extreme boredom at (heavily proxied) work. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kiggles posted:

sounds like a perfect time to read the manual.

It would be if I had access to it!! Dang!!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Never has 7 megabytes/sec felt so slow. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eugh, download finished but I gotta go to bed in like half an hour. Not even worth starting with that little time :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Just save it. The prologue deserves to be played through in one sitting.

Sounds like a plot. Unfortunate that I gotta wait, but sleep is better and more important :v:

How long is the prologue? Like an hour?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there a way to get more detailed information on a side objective? I'm looking at the first post-prologue mission, extracting a barracks commander, but I have no idea how to actually IDENTIFY the commander. They all look the same (not racist) :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Here's your reminder that you can switch out buddies at any time time during gameplay, it's in the same menu as the choppers so i don't know how i completely missed it, but there you go. I wish i had known this before taking DD and only DD into Mission 12 Huey's Cross Country African Triathlon Adventure, starring Diamond Dog!

The first time I did this I literally lol'd to see a horse dropping in via parachute

No, that fucker would not calmly land on all four legs, he would be freaking the gently caress out, I would wager!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I noticed that extraction via chopper costs me 6000 GMP. Is there some alternative way to get out of a completed mission?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ah, I figured that'd just arbitrarily fail the mission, so I didn't try. Thanks muchly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does the collector's edition guide have much on techniques / tips and tricks, like "horse poo == skidding jeeps" and "loud making GBS threads tape in port-a-potty == guards go away", or is it more walkthrough-style?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aurain posted:

Not from what I've read. It's just a guide and even then, due to the nature of the game, it's kind of just a suggestions to best route kind of thing. It's still a good guide but there's no in depth patrol routes or anything.

Ehn. I was hoping for more "really in-depth manual" type stuff, than being told the "best" way to get through missions.

Maybe I'll buy it anyway for something to page through while bored :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was only paying half attention when they tutorialized on combat deployments. Are the Merc deployments (the "low risk" ones) fully automatic or do I have to set them up somehow? I only see Dispatch Missions in the iDroid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks.

New question, where do I change what my chopper's playing when it's about? I just got Take On Me and uh yeah :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Go to the Cassette part of the idriod, hit the button it says on the bottom of the screen (H for KB+M)

gently caress me running I am blind. Thanks :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DrNutt posted:

POWER as my Helicopter music

Oh my god this is such a great idea :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Where on earth do I go in these menus to import custom music for the helicopter? I woulda thought it'd be in the Cassette Tapes menu in the iDroid somewhere :(

(e nevermind guess there's a folder I copy mp3s into)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 5, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dear god Mission 8 is kicking my rear end. I can destroy one tank using all four of my C4 and one rocket, and two rockets to kill the truck and its personnel, but the other tank survives the remainder of my rockets, even square in the back. That assumes I survive. What do? :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's a really good launcher in the back of the truck that can one shot tanks

Blahargle I would never have thought of that. I'm too stupiod for this game apparently. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eonwe posted:

the best thing to do is to just pick a spot where the tanks are going to roll through, put 4 C4 down, call in a supply drop somewhere safe empty your rockets and then pick up the supply drop

in fact I preemptively call in a supply drop in any mission where I know there will be a fight

I beat the mission just now doing exactly this, and nailed the rear first tank just outside the village with my first set of C4, rocketed the truck to death, ran ahead of the other tank to my planned drop, and C4d him too.

I enjoy this game you guys :) but I feel I'm too stupid to do much more than get frustrated :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Was that music from your chopper or from editing? Because if the former you have fantastic taste and what's the name of that song anyway :v:

• Locked thread