Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

If anybody wants to die then come challenge Wilbur. I'm at 5,E

Face the might of Fistbeard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im the king of the bottom lefthand corner

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, some people keep them as pets. They are very intelligent and they absolutely recognize people, they just can't be trained so they are likely to spray/piss/poo poo in the wrong places, plus they are insanely curious and will try to open/destroy just about everything.

Are you telling me that you wouldn't want a raccoon as a pet?

If they were even somewhat domesticated, I would totally choose a raccoon over a cat.

Yea it's not so much a 'pet' as a creature you let in your house that takes the food you offer it and probably pisses on everything and breaks your stuff. You can't really tame a raccoon, that's why they're called nature's president.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
my mother is trying to tame a fox. she gives it extra meat and now it knows to come when she calls. she's hoping to get close enough to pet it soon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want a Sugar Glider real bad.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
My cat and the local opossums at my old place used to try to scare each other and see who'd pee on the porch first.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am a raccoon as well

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You can't really tame a raccoon, that's why they're called nature's president.

Son of a bitch, I missed my chance to name my raccoon "Abraham Lincoon"

Edit: Or Raccoonford B. Hayes.

Double Edit: Or Calvin Coonlidge.

Triple Edit: John F. Coonnedy, gently caress these things write themselves.

Edit the Fourth: Ugh, thanks Raccoon Obama. :rolleyes:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 31, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok closing signups. Been busier than expected and haven't been on a compute but I think I can get this started after I get home from work tonight

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I will gather resources and allies. We will invade the mainland. My empire will encompass the known world/ small bay and half a city.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
let's all vow not to hurt each other so MMM has to resort to filling the map with lava to determine a winner

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

let's all vow not to hurt each other so MMM has to resort to filling the map with lava to determine a winner

Or we can form a democratic society of raccoons, of which I will be the first president, due to my high constitution stat letting me write the constitution.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I wonder how long it will take for someone to paste in the John Galt speech in-character.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Poque posted:

Yeah. I tried to break Trip's last two setups by getting everyone to no-dunk but nobody would go along with me :(

(it would have worked both times!)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Bravo posted:

Son of a bitch, I missed my chance to name my raccoon "Abraham Lincoon"

Edit: Or Raccoonford B. Hayes.

Double Edit: Or Calvin Coonlidge.

Triple Edit: John F. Coonnedy, gently caress these things write themselves.

Edit the Fourth: Ugh, thanks Raccoon Obama. :rolleyes:

Ahem.

TMMadman posted:

Abe Lincoon reporting for life!

I even have the top hat.

jon joe posted:

Or we can form a democratic society of raccoons, of which I will be the first president, due to my high constitution stat letting me write the constitution.

There's only one presidential raccoon here. Me.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
But if someone wanted to secede from the Raccoonion and form the Raccoonfederate States, could there be another president?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think you guys are vastly misreading this game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

anyway I just finished working out how tank combat will run, off to work

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

:swoon:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Com'n trip, you know I don't read games

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Is it an omen that this was outside my house today?

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 31, 2015

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Hal Incandenza posted:

Is it an omen that this was outside my house today?

Not cool

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

And I think you're vastly misunderstanding what we're planning to do to your game. :v:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:nws: that hal gosh golly

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

EccoRaven posted:

:nws: that hal gosh golly

Jeez guys I didn't do it.

Maybe it got up later?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
There were a buncha dead mice outside my house this morning but that's just because we have baller alley cats.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
I had to step over the dead body of rankcoon the so-called "swamp-king" to get to work but I've gotten used to that.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
life is a chemical reaction that will fizzle and fade to an innevitable end, leaving the universe flat, cold and endlessly silent of thought or purpose for trillions of years

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oops, i thought this was Be a Philosopher for a sec there

i have tiny cute hands that will steal your dogs food!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

This is just precious.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

uranus posted:

life is a chemical reaction that will fizzle and fade to an innevitable end, leaving the universe flat, cold and endlessly silent of thought or purpose for trillions of years

Thanks, taste

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Raccoon Rules

You start out with two stats:

Energy is your little raccoon fuel tank. You gain energy by eating, you lose energy by doing things.

Health is how healthy you are. You lose health by running out of energy or doing stupid stuff, you gain it by resting for long periods of time.

Each turn covers a week of in game time and is done in two phases. Read all about them below.

The Action Phase

In the Action Phase you decide what your raccoon will do that week. You have 6 actions to assign each week, and here's what you can do with them.

Move (Move up to 6 spaces, takes 1 energy for each space moved)
Forage (1 energy, gain food)
Fool around (1 energy)
Conserve Energy (1 energy for 2 actions)
Heal (2 energy, gain 1 health)

I'll go into a bit more detail about each of these actions.

Move

You can move in the four cardinal directions. When you move, specify the directions you're moving and your endpoint. and example move would be "Move 4 spaces north, 1 space east, end C16" if you somehow screw this up I'll do my best to put you in the right place, but please don't make me do that every time.

It takes 1 additional point of energy swim in your move action and you cannot end your move in water or you'll drown. I'll assume nobody is going to actively try to drown themselves so if you accidentally move a square too short or too far I'm not going to just insta drown you.

For various reasons, you might start your turn in water. If you start out in the water, you must spend your first turn swimming to land, if somehow you cannot reach land well haha on you buddy, you're dead.

The additional energy cost only comes up once even if you walk on land and go back in water.

Forage

This takes 1 energy and any food you find comes back in the form of energy. Once a tile is foraged it takes a bit to replenish again. Foraging a tile that hasn't replenished will only net you a fraction of the full food value and will reset the replenishing timer. There are various things that have a chance to happen each time you forage.

Foraging repeatedly in human occupied areas increases the chance of human response. Generally speaking, the more densely populated an area is, the less forages it takes to prompt a response.

Fool Around

Have a bit of fun once and a while will you? This doesn't directly do stuff, but it will likely give you more to do in the next phase.

Conserve Energy

By spending two actions on this you can save your energy. You don't have to do it for two actions at a time but the benefits aren't seen unless you spend your actions in pairs. Spending just 1 action on conserve energy will cost 1 energy. Spending 4 will cost 2. Spending 5 will cost 3.

Heal

I don't think there's anything to explain here.

That's all the actions for now, though some may be unlocked later

The Decision Phase

You will be faced with at least 1 decision. It's multiple choice and your answer will effect your raccoon. The decision will come with information to help you choose, but you won't be exactly sure what the possible outcomes are. The question you receive will be based on your actions in the Action Phase.

There's a couple other things to explain but then we're ready to start our first action phase.

Traits

You start with no traits. You will gain traits as you play. Some traits will be helpful, some will not. Some will be a mix of both. You'll get them through the decision phase mostly.

The Map

The map is divided roughly for you, but I've got a more detailed map for myself. I've laid things out in specific regions and things that will happen in some regions aren't going to happen in others. For example, the forest on the island is different than the forest by the river.

The map is not set in stone. Your raccoon is constantly changing, but so is the world around it. Watch carefully.

These are the rules. We're not quite started yet, lemme prepare some stuff and I'll show you how to submit a turn.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Action Phase

(click the image to submit your actions)

Summer has ended, your mother has left you. You are on your own for the first time. It is getting colder. You need to store energy for the winter. The world is much bigger than you ever realized

quote:

Captive raccoons have been known to live for more than 20 years.[154] However, the species' life expectancy in the wild is only 1.8 to 3.1 years, depending on the local conditions in terms of traffic volume, hunting, and weather severity.[155] It is not unusual for only half of the young born in one year to survive a full year.[156]

(Map with current coon locals)

Raccoon List

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
you have got to be coonding me, five players all on my spot?

you all can go to heck imo. get off my island :mad:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this town is going down. im going to move and fool around/fidgit until i die of starvation or cars

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

uranus posted:

this town is going down. im going to move and fool around/fidgit until i die of starvation or cars

Let's party urban coon friend

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah and if multiple coons try to forage the same spot on the same turn I'll determine order by who submitted first. Sorry if you get timezoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##Ricky Ricardo attempts fusion with Giant Dick Coon

• Locked thread