Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snake Maze posted:

Can you shoot those through enemies? I've never messed with them much but I assumed they impacted on the first thing in their path, like bullets.

Nah missile launcher will explode on first impact which might actually open up the crowd to chase down the novice or send a second missile

Mortar? Idk i think it goes "above and over" enemies but its been so long since i found one and I've never hit anything with it lol

ML is a ton of fun and i really want to do a HWGuy run sometime. Just grenades and guns and missiles and nukes and and

A Rambo run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
A grenade similar to a glitter grenade but it creates a brief shroud to block sunder mind

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I wonder what happens if you've been sundered but walk into normality field/gas

cause that would be an amazing counter, just drop a normality nade whenever sundered

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

Being confused yourself doesn't break sunder mind. You can shove witchwood bark into your mouth to hopefully heal enough to survive the final blast if the seeker is behind some enemies and you can't kill him directly, but you're still mostly screwed in that situation.

wait i thought one of the devs said you could flashbang yourself to break Sunder

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snake Maze posted:

I think it's just the total amount you took over all the previous turns. I was actually in this exact scenario a couple minutes ago, my true kin with 3 MA would take about 80 damage from the final blast, so I could just barely survive if I healed to full right before it went off. It worked, but only because I got lucky and ate a witchwood bark while already confused.

Running into a seeker of the sightless way who's behind enemies you can't trivially kill when you're not right next to the stairs or map edge is honestly the most dangerous thing you can encounter, I think. You just have so few options to deal with it.

my level 8 syrzigor with like 60 hp spent all ten turns springing at the sightless ways acolyte, chugging every salve injector I had and wasting two turns throwing grenades at him that didnt interrupt it, then took 100 damage and died lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried shooting them too but they just matrix dodged my desert rifle 3 times

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Not gonna lie the new novices simply are not fun to deal with.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

genericnick posted:

Don't think they work for mutants like that. Come to think of it: Is there any source of precoc for chimera? Cooking?

Eaters nectar resets the seed I think?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SweetBro posted:

Are there any good mods that add unarmed/martial arts? I want to live out my fantasy of an all regenerating never ending fistnado. However the only viable unarmed build is True Kin which rules out regen. Alternatively if someone has another roguelike suggestion where this is viable I'm all ears.

Make a mutant, take Horns and Double-Muscled, buy Short Blades (or better yet, start as an arconaut for all those other useful skills), crank Strength to an insane level, and set your head as your primary limb. You will absolutely clobber most enemies by simply walking up and headbutting them into bloody craters.

e: if desired, you can also take Burrowing Claws for some relatively weak offhand attacks and a very useful digging ability. Alternatively just wield whatever cool Sultan artifacts you find and continue to headbutt things into paste

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 26, 2020

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wait i thought one of the devs said you could flashbang yourself to break Sunder

I think they meant you could flashbang the seeker? I've gotten confused eating witchwood bark and it didn't interrupt getting sundered.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

somebody tell this guy it's not called Caves of Chud

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wafflecopper posted:

somebody tell this guy it's not called Caves of Chud

That could be a funny mod. No back slot because you're spineless and no face slot because your head is up.your rear end.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Make a mutant, take Horns and Double-Muscled, buy Short Blades (or better yet, start as an arconaut for all those other useful skills), crank Strength to an insane level, and set your head as your primary limb. You will absolutely clobber most enemies by simply walking up and headbutting them into bloody craters.

e: if desired, you can also take Burrowing Claws for some relatively weak offhand attacks and a very useful digging ability. Alternatively just wield whatever cool Sultan artifacts you find and continue to headbutt things into paste

I think if you do horns + claws with horns as primary, then take two levels of Dual Wield + Jab, you actually end up always headbutting and always stabbing with both claws

didn't test this but if you always attack with primary and claws work like all other shortblades, you'd be doing some pretty sweet attacks (not so sure on the damage because you realistically won't get past 15 PV and there are a handful of endgame things you still can't hurt with that)

alternatively, do this without claws, tinker some daggers for tri-elements, and just obliterate everything in a whirlwind of horns, blades, blood, ice, fire, and sparks

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there anyone I can bug to get in the discord? I've got tons of questions on how to do stuff in game that's probably better suited to asking there, just having issues with UI and I'm not sure if it's because of some combination of prerelease UI or not.

I promise I'm not a shitlord brought in by seth, though the recent activity because of him is why I'm playing this again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you realistically won't get past 15 PV

Do horns not still have uncapped penetration contributions from strength?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Do horns not still have uncapped penetration contributions from strength?

they do, but afaik it has no base PV so to get +15 PV you need +30 strength on top of the +0 PV you get from 16 strength, so uh, 46 strength for 15 PV if I'm remembering my qud-math

this is also why I just say gently caress it and go vibro weapons

axes are kinda neat though but it's only through the magic of berserk that forces auto-dismember regardless of penetration that you can deal with high-PV targets

I'm not really sure how you kill a leering stalker with horns alone unless you're spending some insane amount of time farming up eaters nectar for like 100 str or something

and if you're scumming for nectar anyway I mean, you could use whatever since you have infinite everything resource-wise at that point

also, to be clear I think there's only like <10 (if that) creatures that actually have more than like 12 or 15 AV anyway, with leering stalkers, chrome pyramids, and cherubim being the main examples

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 27, 2020

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anyone enjoys the game and has yet to leave a positive review on steam, now might be the time to do it if you get a chance.

apparently the sseth video kicked up a bunch of fashy shitheads who are mad that the discord doesn't want people idolizing the literal genetic purity nazis and are trying to awkwardly set up an alternative discord while attempting to reviewbomb the game.

not that anyone is owed your review or a positive one at that, but, if you're so inclined then every bit helps

i wrote a review. i also reported a bunch of recent reviews and comments for review bombing, and steam actually sent me a message that they'd taken action on one of them :toot:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Befriend robots and carry a really good gun and a bunch of powerful consumables. This is my solution to all things and it has not failed me yet. Cherubim will probably still kill a headbutt demon, but those things don't even remotely gently caress around are are often best left alone anyway, so it's whatever

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Why the heck can I not get a knollworm to drop a corpse? I've got Waxflab and need the corpse to cure it but every time I kill one it apparently evaporates into thin air instead of leaving a body. I do not have Butchery toggled on, I'm not frying it with a laser or anything. I'm just stabbing them with my short sword and getting nothing. I must have killed over a dozen at this point. Am I just being incredibly unlucky?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

untzthatshit posted:

Why the heck can I not get a knollworm to drop a corpse? I've got Waxflab and need the corpse to cure it but every time I kill one it apparently evaporates into thin air instead of leaving a body. I do not have Butchery toggled on, I'm not frying it with a laser or anything. I'm just stabbing them with my short sword and getting nothing. I must have killed over a dozen at this point. Am I just being incredibly unlucky?

Wiki says 1/10 chance to drop, so probably just unlucky.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Ah, well, back to worm hunting then!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The corpse mechanic for fungal cures is annoying as gently caress imo

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Befriend robots and carry a really good gun and a bunch of powerful consumables. This is my solution to all things and it has not failed me yet. Cherubim will probably still kill a headbutt demon, but those things don't even remotely gently caress around are are often best left alone anyway, so it's whatever

oh for sure but i could not rest until I broke the game's combatants over my knee in single combat, this time sans ego boost

how sporting it is to do it via grinding out to level 40 (cloning book merchants) and ending up with 40 toughness and 25 AV, well, ehhhhhh

but vibro weapons will kill anything if you can go toe to toe with it, and yeah cherubim are far and away the greatest danger in the game, even moreso than chrome pyramids imo

the new endgame goal I have, which I'm not entirely sure is possible but I'm content with waiting for a while to hear about it from someone else:

steal all the masks from the spindle, not just 1. the only way I think this may be possible is if you have enough rounds between the alarm sounding and the other masks disappearing that you would kill ALL cherubim before picking up one, then just stacking as much movespeed as you can and sprinting to get to the other masks before they disappear. huuuge assumption that they don't just all get hidden the moment the alarm goes off, which I'm pretty sure they do. also, hilarious that the other cherubim are totally cool with you after you kill the first set to get a mask. you'd think they'd be on red alert but nah they cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I picked up this game tonight at the recommendation of the roguelike thread and the in-game documentation seems...sparse. Like, is there any sort of legend to the world map? I know I learned the locations of a few places but I just don't see anything on the world map which gives me any information at all.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I picked up this game tonight at the recommendation of the roguelike thread and the in-game documentation seems...sparse. Like, is there any sort of legend to the world map? I know I learned the locations of a few places but I just don't see anything on the world map which gives me any information at all.

the notable locations are marked with an asterisk

you can 'L'ook on the world map and move the cursor over the notable locations to see what's there to figure out which one you want to go to for a quest

you can hold down the alt key to see locations of interest as well (also works in the normal game to see things like staircases and items)

in general: always be looking, at everything

there's also an in-game guide which tells you always be looking, at everything, but ngl I forget how you access that guide

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
not gonna lie, my instinct was to look, but I tried to do it by opening up a free cursor (with m) and then pressing l over a tile, which doesn't do anything. That's my Crawl instincts at work, I guess

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah generally I would say use the Look command to see what all the permanent map features are as generally quest locations are given as " X parsangs (overworld map tiles) east of Golgotha" or similar. Every tile on the overworld map represents a 3x3 area

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know this is a roguelike cause I went to a place, didn't understand anything, died, and probably learned enough not to die in the exact same way again

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Honestly I turned off permadeath in options and have been save scumming my latest run, and I'm having a blast. Strongly suggest doing that learn some mechanics, zero shame in it. There's so much amazing content that I'd never get to see without the save option.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

Honestly I turned off permadeath in options and have been save scumming my latest run, and I'm having a blast. Strongly suggest doing that learn some mechanics, zero shame in it. There's so much amazing content that I'd never get to see without the save option.

In games like this and DCSS I give myself a certain number of lives, and after I die that many times I let permadeath happen. It still gives the urge to be careful and the world some danger, while not having to lose 10+ hours of gameplay because I made a single mistake.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah I finally bit the bullet and disabled permadeath after the Nth time of getting lost traversing 2 overworld tiles and being dumped in the middle of about 6 boars, 8 irate turtles, and a dozen other miscellaneous flora and fauna. In 18 hours of playing, this may be the first time I've gotten to level 6, and only one or two of my previous deaths felt in any way avoidable or hubristic on my part.

Grinding the early levels in Qud is not a great time, but that's been basically the entirety of my experience. This time I've at least randomly mutated a stinger and found a gun and grenade.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Couple of things that made my early level experience a lot better (not to say you're not already aware of this) BUT:

A) having some of the wayfaring skills which are super cheap and also can be bought from one of the starting villages if you don't pick a character that already comes with it, makes a big difference. You won't get lost nearly as often and instead will find cool ruins and stuff to explore. If you happen to get a compass bracelet too, which I find are pretty common, then your chance of getting lost drops to like 1% or something.

And B) always pick a mutation that gives you a means of escaping a lovely situation. Maybe that's teleport, or spinnerets, or force wall or force bubble. But some sort of instant "nope-the-gently caress-out" skill is a necessity while learning this game.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I save-scummed my 5arm axeman to Golgotha and then Bethesda. Think savescumming a floor in there broke the map generation, because there are no stairs to go down after the 6th floor, only the elevator. Doesn't feel good to have to break out debug mode, but it doesn't seem like there is any other option.

edit: no stairs including after riding the elevator down to the 11th floor.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
You are going to the overworld map right?

When i first started i walked SCREEN BY SCREEN everywhereeeee. Also ate food ingredients seperate as opposed to cooking lmao

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Phasing and Teleport are imo the best options for new players. Just as good for experienced players too but phasing and Teleport are such a good GTFO its absurd

rare occasion Teleport Other. Well actually tbh teleport other is good too but not quite as good as one time i wanted to grab several rounds of safety fighting one of the trolls and teleported him 2 squares away lmao.

Yes teleport other does not allow you to choose where the target is teleported! Dont forget this! It was such a good run too!

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 27, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah I'm thinking freezing hands and sleeping gas are good enough for priority targets but not great for escaping being surrounded. Also yeah I've been using the overworld but for as often as I get lost I might as well not bother :v:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

verbal enema posted:

You are going to the overworld map right?

When i first started i walked SCREEN BY SCREEN everywhereeeee. Also ate food ingredients seperate as opposed to cooking lmao

As above, if you are dying running across the Overworld map before level 5, you are basically dying of hubris unwittingly. Extremely abridged version, but Joppa start, rob chests, do knicknacks for Argyve, do Copper Wire for Argyve, go to Red Rock. That should be enough to get you around 5-6 if memory serves. Until you know what you are doing, going screen by screen is absolutely the way so you can take stock and run back with Sprint if things look too hairy (and gather XP by killing pleb enemies along the way).

Qud is generally very fair indeed in the early game, but it's hard until you get a feel for things. Basically every player I know died to a crocodile in their first run or two. But you never will again. Turtles are tough, but they are slow, you can just regular walk away from them.

Not going to tell you to disable permadeath though. Honestly, it's probably good if you're finding it irritatingly tough because you get to learn more that way. But obviously it runs the risk of you shooting too far and kinda robbing yourself of the Rogue-y part of the experience. But then, if you're not into that either then go nuts.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What you could do is start as nomad in the desert, then go to the silt. Instant 3 levels. That also means the isarachi are neutral so if you find one alone you can murk it for the rifle. Having one of those helps a lot at early levels.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I think you can become lost if you even travel screen by screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have never had that happen, as far as I can remember.

In terms of "making someone else gently caress off and not hurt you" powers, there's always the spacetime rift one :v: of course, that one is uncontrollable and may spit out even worse things or double back on you, but it will fairly reliably make a single adjacent target go away and not come back!