Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Spacetime Vortex also works to remove pesky security doors!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Spacetime Vortex can spawn anything? I remember a while ago whenever I found one naturally occurring, it would usually just be spitting out baetyls, but maybe that was a bug that's been fixed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Has anyone ever fought a Salt Kraken?? I only see them as Wardens when i spawn in Salt Desert villages

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can find them roaming in the desert occasionally. they're just a ridiculously huge sack of AV and HP that hit like atom bombs, they're not really fun to fight or anything

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like how there are certain things in this game that just do not tolerate the player in any way

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Salt Kraken corpses are worth like 15,000 drams though!

https://cavesofqud.gamepedia.com/Making_Money

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone have suggestions for relatively simple builds to dip my toes in without having to understand all the systems yet? Or maybe with like, one or two gimmicks as a learning opportunity

I've been playing praetor with physical stats and nothing else just to learn the controls

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for relatively simple builds to dip my toes in without having to understand all the systems yet? Or maybe with like, one or two gimmicks as a learning opportunity

I've been playing praetor with physical stats and nothing else just to learn the controls

I've been using a suggested build from a couple of pages ago and it owns:

Mutated human with
Double Muscle
Triple Jointed
Multiple legs
Two hearted
Slime glands
Night vision
Irritable genome defect

Pick Warden so you can use longs words right away

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
use freezing hands on cooldown and make your life easy

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
A pretty classic combo is the Marauder kit with Carapace [4], Double-Muscled [3], and Freezing Ray [5]. Your Carapace is some the best armour in the game if you keep investing in it, Double-Muscled makes you incredibly good at ripping enemies apart with axes as well as a passive chance of stunning, and Freezing Ray will shut down an enemy for a few turns, giving you time to run away or Rip And Tear.

Use your rapid advancements to boost up Carapace and Double-Muscled, though ensure they cap out at even and odd levels respectively, because that's where the big boosts are (AV and Strength bonus, respectively). If you want to get fancy, take a drawback and buy some quality-of-life mutations like Mental Mirror, Night Vision or Two-Hearted.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 27, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

verbal enema posted:

I like how there are certain things in this game that just do not tolerate the player in any way

Salt krakens are actually extremely chill and don't care about the player at all, unless you have accidentally damaged them or severely pissed off their faction (Worms iirc), in which case you can and should simply run away from them as fast as possible

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not like those loving magma crabs

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Angry Diplomat posted:

Salt krakens are actually extremely chill and don't care about the player at all, unless you have accidentally damaged them or severely pissed off their faction (Worms iirc), in which case you can and should simply run away from them as fast as possible

Molluscs. And Grazing Hedonists.

Do you lose rep with Molluscs for killing Slog, I forget.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Angry Diplomat posted:

Huh no poo poo i had no idea

Is there any way to get the cooked meal song to play?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Molluscs. And Grazing Hedonists.

Do you lose rep with Molluscs for killing Slog, I forget.

Yeah a fukkin ton of rep mollusks are no longer anywhere cool with me

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grazing Hedonists I think.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah I'm 90% sure I've hung out with krakens in games where I've killed Slog (which absolutely costs you a big chunk of mollusc rep). Grazing hedonists, huh? drat. Catch me grinding out 1,000 hedonist reputation so I can recruit a legendary salt kraken and greet the Putus Templar ambush in style

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Is there a minimap with the new UI? I mean the new, new one that's still experimental? If so, how do I turn it on/off? I've got the 'show minimap' ticked in options, but I think that's for the old new UI.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zeerust posted:

A pretty classic combo is the Marauder kit with Carapace [4], Double-Muscled [3], and Freezing Ray [5]. Your Carapace is some the best armour in the game if you keep investing in it, Double-Muscled makes you incredibly good at ripping enemies apart with axes as well as a passive chance of stunning, and Freezing Ray will shut down an enemy for a few turns, giving you time to run away or Rip And Tear.

Use your rapid advancements to boost up Carapace and Double-Muscled, though ensure they cap out at even and odd levels respectively, because that's where the big boosts are (AV and Strength bonus, respectively). If you want to get fancy, take a drawback and buy some quality-of-life mutations like Mental Mirror, Night Vision or Two-Hearted.

Something like this?

BESOOEEEBCBEBI#0BP

I don't know how important it is to get a variety of stats to an acceptable level vs just pumping the ones you intend to use most sky-high

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man, beguiling that snapjaw shotgunner right under Joppa was a good way to avoid getting killed by that snapjaw shotgunner in that exact moment, but it turns out snapjaw shotgunners don't necessarily have the best aim.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

not like those loving magma crabs

Oh great. Another roguelike with another set of seething, burning crabs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

reignonyourparade posted:

Man, beguiling that snapjaw shotgunner right under Joppa was a good way to avoid getting killed by that snapjaw shotgunner in that exact moment, but it turns out snapjaw shotgunners don't necessarily have the best aim.

They have pretty decent aim! Shotguns are just sort of... indiscriminate. And beguiled or not, snapjaws don’t understand the term “collateral damage”

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
Neither do your temporal fugue clones.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

cheetah7071 posted:

I know this is a roguelike cause I went to a place, didn't understand anything, died, and probably learned enough not to die in the exact same way again

Caves of Qud: I probably learned enough not to die in the exact same way again

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Sotsa posted:

Neither do your temporal fugue clones.

On the other hand, nothing is quite as funny as being able to solve every* problem by equipping a nuke grenade and summoning timeclones.

*there are a few problems that cannot be solved this way, including "well gently caress me sideways I'm dying in a giant atomic fireball. lmao."

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

cheetah7071 posted:

Something like this?

BESOOEEEBCBEBI#0BP

I don't know how important it is to get a variety of stats to an acceptable level vs just pumping the ones you intend to use most sky-high

I wouldn't dump your mental stats to that extent - every stat is important to every character to an extent and the way point costs scale means you don't want to go too hard on one stat. Ego can be dumped to an extent because you don't need to worry about buying armour, but Intelligence gives you skill points and Willpower lets you avoid getting your brain melted by espers.

For your initial array, I'd recommend something like-

ST 18
AG 18
TN 20
IN 16
WP 18
EG 12

With Marauder and Double-Muscled, your ST starts at 22, which is respectable. You'll generally want to advance Strength with every attribute point you get, since your Cleave ability is limited by your Strength modifier and you want to hit the penetration cap on the higher-tier axes. 16 Intelligence gives you enough skill points to get by, and means you'll be able to get Tinker I at mid levels, which is extremely useful for any character since it allows you to modify your equipment.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 28, 2020

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
I got to like, level 22 as a double legged, heightened quickness char with like 14 base willpower, and no ESPer ever gave me trouble because i could always get off screen or in their face in like 2-4 sunder ticks.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

That's fair enough, and why I qualified with "to an extent". The build I'm describing doesn't have that kind of mobility, though, and besides, Willpower also controls your cooldowns, which a Marauder with Freezing Ray benefits from minimising, especially once you've unlocked Berserk.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
your advice is well-timed because I just died lol

I died specifically to someone loving with my brain at ten to fifteen damage a turn. My first instinct, honed from Crawl, was that this was smite-targeted and blocked by line of sight and I tried to duck behind cover but the enemy stayed visible even through a wall and I kept taking damage. I guess I should have rushed it down?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

cheetah7071 posted:

your advice is well-timed because I just died lol

I died specifically to someone loving with my brain at ten to fifteen damage a turn. My first instinct, honed from Crawl, was that this was smite-targeted and blocked by line of sight and I tried to duck behind cover but the enemy stayed visible even through a wall and I kept taking damage. I guess I should have rushed it down?

Once they lock on you have ten turns to kill them, hit then with a mental effect (like a flash bang grenade), or leave the screen. The tenth tick of that attack hits for as much as all the other ticks combined... assuming you survive the damage until then.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I died on like the fourth tick. I was probably in over my head but depending how squishy they are maybe a freezing ray followed by a charge could have done it. I just went on complete run-away autopilot assuming they worked like orc priests in Crawl

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Portable Walls also work as a fantastic, somewhat heavy, immediate LoS ESPer blocking escape buttons. Also Cherub prisons and bear friend safe spots.

My favorite thing still has to be speccing into Jab, getting high enough Multi-Arm and Dual-Wielding, having all shortblade offhands, lucking into carbide wristblades (or polygelling off of one), Tinkering them to deal additional elemental damage (and more), and ending up with guaranteed double attacks from every equipped limb. You're an insane DPS machine, and if you're also wielding a decently specced Long Sword as a primary you can dial your whirlwind of attacks to your targets weakness (sticking with the +DV most of the time). Tomb Ferrets don't stand a chance against your dueling stance stab-induced chain lightning. All speed up and lucky Chimerica limb mutations make this even more ridiculous. Add on some Helping Hands for two extra double Flurry attacks (and the non-scaling 8% regular attack chances) and the vast majority of the game melts in front of you... if you can make it into melee combat.

Oh yeah, Wayfairing Lore: Jungles is almost always worth the point investment to get to Ezra early.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 28, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BaconCopter posted:

Portable Walls also work as a fantastic, somewhat heavy, immediate LoS ESPer blocking escape buttons. Also Cherub prisons and bear friend safe spots.

My favorite thing still has to be speccing into Jab, getting high enough Multi-Arm and Dual-Wielding, having all shortblade offhands, lucking into carbide wristblades (or polygelling off of one), Tinkering them to deal additional elemental damage (and more), and ending up with guaranteed double attacks from every equipped limb. You're an insane DPS machine, and if you're also wielding a decently specced Long Sword as a primary you can dial your whirlwind of attacks to your targets weakness (sticking with the +DV most of the time). Tomb Ferrets don't stand a chance against your dueling stance stab-induced chain lightning. All speed up and lucky Chimerica limb mutations make this even more ridiculous. Add on some Helping Hands for two extra double Flurry attacks (and the non-scaling 8% regular attack chances) and the vast majority of the game melts in front of you... if you can make it into melee combat.

Oh yeah, Wayfairing Lore: Jungles is almost always worth the point investment to get to Ezra early.

You can make the Helping Hands attack chance 100% if you equip a sword in your robohand slot and set that to be your primary limb. (Daggers go in your disturbing meat hands) Or is that considered a bug?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 28, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

There's also triple-jointed with its chance to prevent cooldown. At high levels you can flurry a whole lot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

genericnick posted:

There's also triple-jointed with its chance to prevent cooldown. At high levels you can flurry a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I've been playing a loving ton of crawl lately. what is different about this guy that would make it worth my time?

now that cyberpunks delayed I'm looking for something to tide me over

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Heeeey, this is cute

https://kasper-hviid.itch.io/printable-coq-beginners-guide

It’ll be out of date by Friday, but it’s cute

e: Or it'll be out of date right now, what on account of it being from last year.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 28, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

w00tmonger posted:

I've been playing a loving ton of crawl lately. what is different about this guy that would make it worth my time?

Great atmosphere, insane character builds, wearable bee hive that produces honey, friendly UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

w00tmonger posted: