Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

uh-

But more seriously, what's a good build (and I don't just mean starting character code) for someone who wanted to go full ego esper and face those servants of ptoh face on? I've never gotten one off the ground as I'm too impatient to play cautiously at lvl1, but I've seen plenty of endgame content already from my various tinkers. I want something that has like 500 glimmer and -95% cooldowns on skills.

While we're on the topic, didn't someone mention permanent mind/body swapping a while ago? Using some sort of dominate/beguile not-bug exploit? How's that work, and how does it fudge with your skill points with a new intel score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Serephina posted:

While we're on the topic, didn't someone mention permanent mind/body swapping a while ago? Using some sort of dominate/beguile not-bug exploit? How's that work, and how does it fudge with your skill points with a new intel score?

You have to dominate a creature and kill your old body with one hit. You don't get to keep your old skills I think.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Serephina posted:

The easiest way to do it is to dominate something, then kill your original body in one hit. Normally you switch back when your body takes damage, but if you kill it then the swap is permanent. This is obviously extremely dangerous, since you have to be one hit away from death when attempting to dominate. I’m not actually sure how domination interacts with precognition, but you might be able to give yourself a safety net that way.

Skill/mutation points are tied to the unit, not the abstract “being controlled by the player”-ness, so you’ll have whatever skill points, mutation points, and stats the creature has. Probably 0, unless they leveled up a bit before you stole their body.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I remember in a much earlier version I took over a legendary merchant. First I noticed that they didn't have sprint. Then that your inventory still is rolled new after a week.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

genericnick posted:

I remember in a much earlier version I took over a legendary merchant. First I noticed that they didn't have sprint. Then that your inventory still is rolled new after a week.

What goes on beneath a Dromad's cloak is beyond mortal ken.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Serephina posted:

uh-

But more seriously, what's a good build (and I don't just mean starting character code) for someone who wanted to go full ego esper and face those servants of ptoh face on? I've never gotten one off the ground as I'm too impatient to play cautiously at lvl1, but I've seen plenty of endgame content already from my various tinkers. I want something that has like 500 glimmer and -95% cooldowns on skills.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen and heard, the mental mutation changes removing a lot of extremely powerful / degenerate combos render that kind of kamikaze playstyle mostly non-viable. If you let your Glimmer scale up enough that extradimensional creatures and Ptoh's senior acolytes start hunting you, you're likely to get melted no matter how powerful you are.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

The easiest way to do it is to dominate something, then kill your original body in one hit. Normally you switch back when your body takes damage, but if you kill it then the swap is permanent. This is obviously extremely dangerous, since you have to be one hit away from death when attempting to dominate. I’m not actually sure how domination interacts with precognition, but you might be able to give yourself a safety net that way.

Skill/mutation points are tied to the unit, not the abstract “being controlled by the player”-ness, so you’ll have whatever skill points, mutation points, and stats the creature has. Probably 0, unless they leveled up a bit before you stole their body.

sidenote, never really thought of it but an easy way to do the one-hit body-swap would be to make sure only you and your target are on the tile (or at least no hostiles/no AOE random damage sources) and just inject a hulk honey tonic; once it wears off you're at 1HP and can swap

I never really got into the bodysnatcher playstyle, what are interesting targets that are more than just bags of stats? are there any particularly good base stat creatures to swap with so you can actually level up and pick mutations (cause I assume if you dominate a high level creature you're not starting at low level)?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I've been playing a loving ton of crawl lately. what is different about this guy that would make it worth my time?

now that cyberpunks delayed I'm looking for something to tide me over

It's a fun game designed by people who like having fun.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

For those who aren’t following unormal’s twitter, the running joke for a while has been that you can post virtually any picture with the caption “caves of qud” and have it be applicable.

That said this is the most caves of qud image out there

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

silentsnack posted:

You can make the Helping Hands attack chance 100% if you equip a sword in your robohand slot and set that to be your primary limb. (Daggers go in your disturbing meat hands) Or is that considered a bug?

Crikey! That does kind of seem like a bug to me, but I like the cut of your jib either way. Does the offhand Helping Hand get the regular offhand hit rate or the normal 8%? I'm guessing that it would be the 8% from my fiddling with primary limbs, but who knows it's Qud!

genericnick posted:

There's also triple-jointed with its chance to prevent cooldown. At high levels you can flurry a whole lot.

Definitely a great addition to the infinistab, heck, any multilimb monstrosity.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

BaconCopter posted:

Crikey! That does kind of seem like a bug to me, but I like the cut of your jib either way. Does the offhand Helping Hand get the regular offhand hit rate or the normal 8%? I'm guessing that it would be the 8% from my fiddling with primary limbs, but who knows it's Qud!

8% for the non-main robohand as far as I can tell, but you can put a shield in the other hand for defense (and spiked shield slams) without losing an attack, or if all your other hands are filled you can equip a 2-hand weapon that occupies both your robohand slots for better damage with minimal penalty.

Even if you're not using this technique/exploit you can still use a Helping Hands to dual-wield 2H weapons where each weapon is held by both an organic and robotic hand :v:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Did you know that lithofex have a petrifying gaze, which is a 100% lethal instakill?

I didn’t.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

Did you know that lithofex have a petrifying gaze, which is a 100% lethal instakill?

I didn’t.

It should only slow you down more and more, it can instakill??

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I didn’t.

It's not. Regeneration cures stony.
Edit: Unless there is some saving throw that I succeed in when I bumbled into one the last time.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 28, 2020

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Lithofexes aren't molting basilisks. The Lithofex's attack is one of those ones that gives you a few turns to get out of the way. If you're in the line of fire, you get petrified.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
See, that’s what I thought! I knew about the “turning to stone” status, so when I saw the warning message saying he was readying his gaze, I figured, hell, I’ve got 250 hp, full zetachrome gear, a dozen urberries, and motorized treads. What’s he gonna do, drop my move speed? :grin:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weird. I definitely got the status effect from a lithofex. No molten basilisks in depth 35.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hundreds of hours in this game and ive never seen these things!!! I am not good!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

genericnick posted:

Weird. I definitely got the status effect from a lithofex. No molten basilisks in depth 35.

Yeah, same, and also that blast must have a huge damage roll cause I remember exactly once it doing like 76 damage to me and I never stood in it again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
was my tired brain incapable of reading what was going on or do clockwork beetles respawn somehow when you kill them

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

cheetah7071 posted:

was my tired brain incapable of reading what was going on or do clockwork beetles respawn somehow when you kill them

there is a vent nearby that spawns them continuously. I got lucky my run and Insects love me so they left me alone in Golgotha

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Can the vents be stopped? High explosive grenade didn't seem to do anything but it's always hard to tell if it landed where I want.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can knock them down like any wall of the same toughness.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

well I bounced off that UI pretty hard. games cool but Im clearly not a cool enough dude for this.

doesnt help that I dont have a numpad on my keyboard

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

well I bounced off that UI pretty hard. games cool but Im clearly not a cool enough dude for this.

Try enabling the overlay UI options, icnluding "prerelase stage screen" it's way down at the bottom (for some reason like I'm an idiot)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

w00tmonger posted:

Be sure to enable the laptop keybinds to compensate for the missing numpad

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
So I've been messing around with self dismemberment to get rid of my hook feet and instead of the wonderful madpole method, I'm just using the axe skill but it never seems to cut my legs off is this just bad luck or impossible?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No idea, maybe skilling decapitate could help?

Also, I'm doing the beta branch and kinda confused about a historic site I'm in. Cyclopean Gibbons are part of the monster set, and I know they travel in packs so the game tries to keep the pack coherent when moving between maps, but I'm getting weird behavior. As in, on the same map, a pack will teleport into existence behind me somehow, and I'm not sure how/why as there's no vortexes around. Likewise, I might run up the stairs and kill one-two gibbons, but when going back down the previous hoarde is now totally absent.

Holograms? buggyness with the pack-coding? No idea.

edit: On further testing seems like a bug. If a suspiciously solitary gibbon enters into melee range (no matter who does it), the pack will then spawn around him/us and take an immediate action, usually involving hitting me eight times. I can't imagine that's intentional.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 29, 2020

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Dumb question, but do the Mechanimists use cybernetics?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Suggestion: rename the Dual Wield tree to Multiwield, Ambidexterity to Omnidexterity, and Two-Weapon Fighting to Multi-Weapon Fighting

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Wafflecopper posted:

Suggestion: rename the Dual Wield tree to Multiwield, Ambidexterity to Omnidexterity, and Two-Weapon Fighting to Multi-Weapon Fighting

:hmmyes:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bethesda Susa had the level that the elevator delivers you to be stuffed, and I mean *stuffed*, with twinning lampreys. Like 30 of them in a ball. Thanks for that!

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Serephina posted:

No idea, maybe skilling decapitate could help?

Also, I'm doing the beta branch and kinda confused about a historic site I'm in. Cyclopean Gibbons are part of the monster set, and I know they travel in packs so the game tries to keep the pack coherent when moving between maps, but I'm getting weird behavior. As in, on the same map, a pack will teleport into existence behind me somehow, and I'm not sure how/why as there's no vortexes around. Likewise, I might run up the stairs and kill one-two gibbons, but when going back down the previous hoarde is now totally absent.

Holograms? buggyness with the pack-coding? No idea.

edit: On further testing seems like a bug. If a suspiciously solitary gibbon enters into melee range (no matter who does it), the pack will then spawn around him/us and take an immediate action, usually involving hitting me eight times. I can't imagine that's intentional.

I think the "packs" are temporal fugue clones, not a bunch of the base mob, so you might be seeing them activate fugue, or returning while fugue's on cooldown?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just popping back after a while of not playing. I like the new message log and ui elements, but when I turn that option on, my nearby items list disappears. I'm sure this is a known thing, but is there a way to fix it? Or do I have to choose between the two options

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

Bethesda Susa had the level that the elevator delivers you to be stuffed, and I mean *stuffed*, with twinning lampreys. Like 30 of them in a ball. Thanks for that!
Culprit: Clonelings, and possibly booster bots with cloning draught (?!), as I found a vial on the ground and I'm not sure who from. Hilarious /s.

Lights posted:

I think the "packs" are temporal fugue clones, not a bunch of the base mob, so you might be seeing them activate fugue, or returning while fugue's on cooldown?
Good catch, I'll try to (l)ook at one if I see another pack in a different historic site. I would have thought it it'd say something in the log however.

I know I'm spamming this thread, but I thought I'd share this too: Retuned to Ortho to trigger the attack on Grit Gate, got the rumble and Ortho yells out "get back here!" as he sprints away and then sleeps in a bed. I'm veeeeery tempted to let them all die. Any real downsides to this?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Serephina posted:

Culprit: Clonelings, and possibly booster bots with cloning draught (?!), as I found a vial on the ground and I'm not sure who from. Hilarious /s.

Good catch, I'll try to (l)ook at one if I see another pack in a different historic site. I would have thought it it'd say something in the log however.

I know I'm spamming this thread, but I thought I'd share this too: Retuned to Ortho to trigger the attack on Grit Gate, got the rumble and Ortho yells out "get back here!" as he sprints away and then sleeps in a bed. I'm veeeeery tempted to let them all die. Any real downsides to this?

never actually tried but if they don't respawn I'm not sure how the game lets you continue the main quest

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Serephina posted:

Some of them are good merchants, especially if you're a tinker looking for data disks.

Also, while Otho and Q-girl have the special bracelets that teleport them downstairs if they would killed, in my run where that actually happened they never came back upstairs (and the stairs are locked until later in the questline) so I was still softlocked without using debug commands to teleport down a floor. (Although I guess maybe you could dig your way in? I've never tried getting into Barathamite's room that way)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You can dig, though I never did to sequence break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snake Maze posted:

Some of them are good merchants, especially if you're a tinker looking for data disks.

Also, while Otho and Q-girl have the special bracelets that teleport them downstairs if they would killed, in my run where that actually happened they never came back upstairs (and the stairs are locked until later in the questline) so I was still softlocked without using debug commands to teleport down a floor. (Although I guess maybe you could dig your way in? I've never tried getting into Barathamite's room that way)

There used to be another set of stairs leading down to a lower level, after which you could clairvoyance + teleport to Barathrum or (painstakingly) dig your way there laterally. I'm not sure if they still exist or if they're in the same place after the Grit Gate redesign, though.

Worst case scenario just drop a spiral borer I guess. :v: