Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

bees x1000 posted:

welp, Qud crashes when it tries to load my 12000 line Books.xml file.

I suppose you could split it into multiple parts and create Crime and Punishment part 2, part 3, etc. book objects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
yeah if qud couldn't handle a 12000 line book I'd be pretty shocked.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
train a markov generator on Dostoyevsky and have the book provide a random sample of its output

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
While I realize the lore rationale, I am finding it incredibly tedious to be constantly near encumbered where I cannot even sell stuff to make space since the water/money weights more than the items I am selling. I have a ton of full water flasks and items stashed away in chests, but it is still pretty unfun to spend what seems to be more than half of my time dropping loot off in a chest or slowly transferring it across the world piece by piece to buy an expensive item somewhere. I know you can buy expensive items like books to make it easier, but don't you lose a lot of money between the buy price and the sell price? Is there a better way? Is there a 0 water weight mod?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Pain of Mind posted:

I know you can buy expensive items like books to make it easier, but don't you lose a lot of money between the buy price and the sell price?

Trade goods (items with a gold dollar sign by their price) have a fixed value that they always buy and sell for, making them more weight-efficient than water with no value lost. Q girl should always have a couple thousand drams worth of gems you can trade your stuff in for if you can’t find them anywhere else.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if something has a yellow price tag - e.g. a copper nugget, or a silver nugget, or gemstones - then you lose no money by buying it even if you are a mewling, socially-repugnant, zero-ego mutant apebeast.

e: beaten like a mewling, socially-repugnant, zero-ego mutant apebeast

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pain of Mind posted:

I know you can buy expensive items like books to make it easier, but don't you lose a lot of money between the buy price and the sell price? Is there a better way? Is there a 0 water weight mod?

Copper/Silver/Gold Nuggets and a few other items (gemstones, ingots) have a fixed trade price and store value at vastly more efficient weight : money ratios than water.

Also past a certain point in the game -- with high enough Ego, the appropriate Tinker skills and recipes, and enough bits -- you can pretty much just print money on demand (Chem Cells and Laser Rifles are good for this, at their respective tiers) and use bits as a weightless means of storing money.

Also the overhead on transactions isn't really that bad at high Ego either, nor is water-value that scarce in the long term. It's basically only a real issue in the early game, if you dump Ego big time, or if you're trading with someone who hates you.

(IIRC being Liked -- 250+ reputation -- is an effective +1 Ego bonus, and being loved -- 600+ -- is an effective +3, total. Snake Oiler gets you +2 independently of this calculation and the effects of Ego bonus on trade is capped at +9, so a mere +4 Ego, attainable at a score of 24, is enough for maximum trade efficiency with factions who love you, as e.g. lategame Barathrumites almost certainly will.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Think I've got it decently formatted, but apostrophes and quotation marks aren't being displayed. I don't know why because they were there in my first screenshot, and they're clearly in the .xml

yeeeeah I'm stuck, unormal help please

edit edit: figured it out. they were stylized in a weird way. find+replace with the standard symbol fixed things.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 4, 2021

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

What are you even using money for, man
Just take what you need off the ground, qud provides

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

train a markov generator on Dostoyevsky and have the book provide a random sample of its output

IIRC all the autogenned books and such in the game are the product of a Markov generator that uses the static text as the corpus.

So, uh, I think they just did.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUjW5zlgeoQ

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Tarn Adams threatens a poetry generator. Caves of Qud players are prepared.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Done. It's not perfectly formatted but it's good enough for an afternoon of google-pythoning.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2673468465

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
Speaking of modding, do you fine folk use any for Qud? Didn't spot much interesting when looking through its Steam Workshop page.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

bees x1000 posted:

Done. It's not perfectly formatted but it's good enough for an afternoon of google-pythoning.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2673468465

Hahah this owns.

For a postqud hobby project I've been tinkering on I was playing around with just loading shitloads of public domain works in as books etc.

So libraries stocked with real books.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Are you guys still doing a 4x when you finish Qud?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Are you guys still doing a 4x when you finish Qud?

4x Qud DLC. The full Dwarf Fortress.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

releases in 2238

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Just had a game where Ezra/the Spindle are cut through by a river, giving immediate access to the tombs, without having to go through all that Mark of Death malarkey O_o

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2674107885

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Maenad posted:

Speaking of modding, do you fine folk use any for Qud? Didn't spot much interesting when looking through its Steam Workshop page.

I use several! Mostly QoL stuff though.

QudUX is great, I mainly use it for the revamped cooking menu that is significantly easy to navigate and provides feedback on what each ingredient does in menu. (The cooking menu revamp is currently borked as of writing, mod author is working to fix it) It also provides more UI polish for every menu, let's you hide your massive pile of ingredients in the trade menu so you don't have to scroll by it, has inventory sorting (for non-modern UI inventory), let's npc's direct you to quest givers in town and a bunch of other great QoL features.

Hearthpyre let's you build and manage your own towns, or just make a small house for yourself somewhere on the salt. You can find and buy different schematic chips to unlock more furniture/devices to build too, allot of which actually does stuff! Is integrated into the game pretty well, it'll usually be around post-golgatha that you'll be able to get started at building up, since you need the schemer, which is a rare find but can be crafted and has a unique snapjaw that always wields it and can be found through secrets.

Mark Items For Pickup is a big QoL one that I can no longer live without, gives you an activatable ability that brings up a menu of every object (that you've seen) lying on the floor of the current map, and lets you mark them for pickup via autoexplore. Clear maps without having to check corpses and just press a button at the end and never miss anything important. A+

Consolidate Liquids is another nice QoL mod, gives every liquid container a new consolidate option that just, does what it says on the tin.

Visible Factions just adds a little (faction name) append to the description of everything in the game, useful to know who owns what.

CoQ Expanded - Stilt Merchants, while not a fan of the sweeping changes CoQ Expanded itself does, this standalone is really nice for the stilt. Every tent is now doubled up (two merchants/store types per tent), the chances for each merchant type have been tweaked so more useful ones are more common and empty tents no longer generate. Still never get gem merchants but what can you do lol

Always Award XP ensures everything you kill always gives you at least one xp, I'm sure this amounts to an entire 1/100 of a level in total, but just, feels better ya know?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Jawnycat posted:

I use several! Mostly QoL stuff though.
Thank you for this! I’m going to try some out.

Jawnycat posted:

Always Award XP ensures everything you kill always gives you at least one xp
I like to play proselytize + beguile builds so to me this would be a handy “your follower cleaned up more riff-raff” indicator, lol

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

prisoner of waffles posted:

I like to play proselytize + beguile builds so to me this would be a handy “your follower cleaned up more riff-raff” indicator, lol

Oh than I also highly recommend Clever Girl! I usually don't play with companions so it completely slipped my mind.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Jawnycat posted:

Oh than I also highly recommend Clever Girl! I usually don't play with companions so it completely slipped my mind.

Also a good suggestion- though I often get domination, which largely takes care of equipment adjustments, skills, and mutations.

I would definitely try something that allowed for more complicated follower aggression AI (don’t attack unless hit by ranged fire or enemies come within a radius of my character, retreat to within 2 squares of my character if HP drops <=40% or something) but somehow I think that would be super fiddly too

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
Awesome list, thank you Jawnycat; going to try a bunch of these out. ^^

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

why am I doing this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2675530282

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

It’s canon, actually

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That first comment lol

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

verbal enema posted:

That first comment lol

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hahaha that is a badge of honor

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Incredible

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I found reference to an 'auto' format option in books.xml, possibly making my <page>ing script pointless, but I couldn't figure out how to use it without the game crashing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

lmao this fucks

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Two runs in two days where Mehmet spawns on bad terms with Wardens, leading Ualraig to kill him.

Second run was quite nice. Managed to get up to level 5 with a greybeard(my least favorite class) with penalties to Strength and Int, until I got mobbed by a bunch of snapjaws in Red Rock and died.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
  • Robots and mutated plants can now be stunned.
  • Baetyl, hermit, and mysterious stranger cherubim now belong to the correct factions.
  • Pax Klanq is now immune to fungal infections.
  • Dynamic quests no longer use player map notes as landmarks.
  • White esh now honk instead of caaw.
  • Meyehind and Liihart now rejoin the hindren faction if Eskhind becomes Hindriarch.
  • Wardens Esthers, Lulihart, and Tszappur now more consistently get along.
  • Argyve no longer offers to sell his scratched data disk, and Q Girl no longer offers to sell her data disk with encoded instructions.
  • Made some tweaks to low-tier melee relic base types.
  • Fixed pluralization of 'boot' in sultan histories.
  • Fixed a bug that caused excessive CPU use in cybernetics terminals.
  • Fixed a bug that caused rhinoxen to get a number of free melee attacks on their targets when charging.
  • Fixed a bug where if a rhinox's charge killed a creature, a copy of that creature's corpse was spawned in each tile of the charge path.
  • Fixed a bug that caused extremely odd names to get generated for sultan cults and sultan relics.
  • Fixed a bug that occasionally caused ovens to do nothing.
  • Fixed several rare exceptions in the display of cooking recipies.
  • Fixed a typo in arc winder's description.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Entering a historic site populated by a cult of sultan-worshipping tumbling pods is... less than enjoyable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Unormal posted:

• White esh now honk instead of caaw.

finally

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I never thought of the plural of Rhinox being Rhinoxen, but it definitely tracks and I'm glad I've never encountered more than one at a time before.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rhinoxii

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rhinoox

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Rhinoces