Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Unormal posted:

Little chunk of the world map where each pixel is a square. Kyakuka on the left. Its pretty old, like 2015.

Yea that's what I thought, except it's clearly not Qud as there's nowhere near enough ruins. And how that's totally not how the game does water terrain! Was assuming it was another RL that just happened to procgen out a world that's reminiscent of the Qud I know.

It'd be cool to do the same at 1.0 and see how much more dense the world is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

off-hand do you know what the weird line on the bottom left is?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I love it

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

that's just ohio

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I spotted the village lair of Mamon Souldrinker

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

I spotted the village lair of Mamon Souldrinker

Killed mid-post, you hate to see it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
  • Extradimensional psychic assassin weeps are no longer noted in your journal on sight.
  • You are now allowed to pick your target when there are multiple creatures available to beguile or proselytize in a cell.
  • Flying objects that become stuck (for ex. in webs) will now stop flying and fall.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some golems to retain their mental shield.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some golems to drop a corpse or their inventory on death.
  • Fixed a bug that rarely caused several webs to spawn stacked in a single square.
  • Fixed a bug that caused phase webs to break immediately.
  • Fixed a bug that caused phasing from phase webs to wear off immediately.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the phased VFX from rendering.
  • Fixed a bug that caused frost webs to behave differently for player and NPC use.
  • Fixed a bug that rarely caused fixed settlement ovens to appear in random encounters.
  • [modding] Added support for removing any blueprint tag by prefixing them with remove: e.g. removetag, removebuilder, removestat, etc.
  • [modding] Buttons in Options.xml can now declare an OnClick method.
  • [debug] We made some changes to modding population tables.
    • Populations and their groups with the same IDs are now merged by default, specify Load="Replace" to replace them.
    • Objects and tables can now be merged by explicitly specifying Load="Merge".
    • Any population item can now be removed by specifying Load="Remove".

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Monochrome is a real bummer of an affliction. I had it for a long time because I couldn't locate a flash bang and every time I'd load that character the color would fade from the game. Qud is a very vibrant world and I didn't think I would care, but I did. I did.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Similarly, someone needs to mod in another sickness that's half monochrome, half socially repugnant: What it does is turn Qud's purple prose into dull, disinterested descriptions. Look at the jungle on the world map? Trees, green.

It'd ruin everything, people would rather delete the save than see the chimes in Chavaah talk to them in plain english.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Serephina posted:

Similarly, someone needs to mod in another sickness that's half monochrome, half socially repugnant: What it does is turn Qud's purple prose into dull, disinterested descriptions. Look at the jungle on the world map? Trees, green.

It'd ruin everything, people would rather delete the save than see the chimes in Chavaah talk to them in plain english.

Oh my god that's hilarious tbh

quote:

A mass of flesh two stories high, the salt kraken dominates the landscape, churning the earth beneath its inexorable advance.

quote:

This guy's like really big, and he keeps going like brrrrrrr

quote:

Moist, patterned skin sloughs around a thousand bubble warts, and a horn-crown rounds his enormous head thirteen span high. On his malachine face, two fleece-like lids droop to couch ireful eyes of amber. A guttural boom in the contrabass spectrum drums out of his vocal sac, vibrating the warty webbing on his overgrown toes. He is a chiliad-chewed, mountainous wad of spite.

quote:

Oh gross he's covered in bumps and he's really big so it's really obvious! Look at how green he is too eww. It's fine to be grossed out by him this guy's kind of a jerk, no thanks.

quote:

Space and time rattle off their hinges and tear your perception apart. Through the new crosshatch of consciousness, sound only comes through in waves, the sheen of chrome explodes in supernova, and you slowly become aware of the furrowed volume of air around the shape of a monstrous pyramid.

quote:

AAAAAAAAAA! Really bad triangle guy! AAAAAAAA! It's too late you're DEAD! I'M SO SORRY RIP!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Serephina posted:

Taking this character to Chavvah should make them simply and directly spoil the game's ending to you, like a Malkavian discerning a real conspiracy amid what they think are delusions.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You talk to Barathrum about the Putus Templar and he just point-blank summarizes their stats and abilities, concluding with, "so maybe grind out a couple of levels first, and make sure to bring good gear"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Taking this character to Chavvah should make them simply and directly spoil the game's ending to you, like a Malkavian discerning a real conspiracy amid what they think are delusions.

Comedy slide whistle noise plays as these two types of autism just slide past each other and never the twain shall meet. The main character is entombed and the scribe solemnly carves: guess he ain't gonna be in Rush Hour 3

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

20 hours and 36 levels into this gunkin run, with a circuit of high level tinkers across the map basically memorised, I feel like it would be reasonable to have found a jacked mod and or a biodynamic power plant at least once by now. I'm hesitant to use any of the mods that add a million more merchants and stock everywhere but feel like there's maybe a middle ground. Giving merchants some high level materials in exchange for increasing the chances of certain things appearing or something. I dunno

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
protip you can disarm weapons off of turrets and they will have the jacked mod, and there are turret dispensing robot tinker dudes that will drop a whole bunch of them on a map

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Flesh Forge posted:

protip you can disarm weapons off of turrets and they will have the jacked mod, and there are turret dispensing robot tinker dudes that will drop a whole bunch of them on a map

also if you're friendly with robots they won't shoot you on sight, and if you have a high enough level security card you can command the turrets to shutdown so they don't all aggro when you start trying to disarm them.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

here's a merchant cheesing strategy I haven't seen discussed before:

befriend a cloneling bot in bethesda suda
teleport immediately out
rush to your favorite merchant and order the robot to stand next to them

(works better if the merchant doesn't have an entourage)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I have a bunch of jacked phase turrets so I'm mostly just holding out for that cybernetic lol. For some reason I have also been insanely unlucky with cloning draught / polygel this run too

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
  • Bundles of noisegrass are now more appropriately priced.
  • Added ability icons to the gas breath mutations of breathing lizards.
  • Fungus-ridden robots now actually host fungi.
  • Spacetime vortices now remain stationary for the first round they appear, giving you a window to step outside their range.
  • Cragmensch and glittermensch are now harder to set on fire.
  • High-powdered magnets now indicate when they are destroyed due to application.
  • Your DV is now set to zero while you are dominating.
  • Stasis now freezes the timer on bombs.
  • Fixed a bug that caused interact nearby, the nearby objects list, and the looker object list to consider objects inside solids differently from one another.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the direction of the current local map to be displayed incorrectly when choosing a local map to travel to from the world map.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the item description in power switch abilities to be wrong.
  • Fixed a typo in murals describing the historic liberation of cities.
  • Fixed a bug that caused dynamic turret tinkers controlled by you to be unable to place turrets.
  • Fixed a bug in the ability text of turret tinkers that displayed the internal blueprint or table name it was using.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the target details text of a hidden sidebar to be clipped when using bio-scanning bracelet.
  • Fixed a bug that caused cleave to indicate a target was cleaved even when it was immune to effects.
  • Fixed a bug that caused zones below strata 50 of Eyn Roj to be devoid of creatures.
  • [modding] Fixed a bug that caused population items that did not specify a load strategy to be skipped.
  • [modding] Fixed a bug that caused load strategies on population groups to be ineffectual.
  • [modding] The full file path is now displayed when a conversation part referenced in XML cannot be resolved.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, last time played 8 years ago apparently. I'm on a LAN party and wanted something to play in between main games.

Now I did the Red rock dungeon and survived after a few tries.

Next I went east to some red holes to do something else which I don't quite remember yet. I got lost in the canyons and some mushroom apparently applied something on me. I've got an itchy skin. Hopefully this is not too hazardous, since I have no idea how to get rid of it. How neccessary it is to get rid of it? :v:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ihmemies posted:

Welp, last time played 8 years ago apparently. I'm on a LAN party and wanted something to play in between main games.

Next I went east to some red holes to do something else which I don't quite remember yet. I got lost in the canyons and some mushroom apparently applied something on me. I've got an itchy skin. Hopefully this is not too hazardous, since I have no idea how to get rid of it. How neccessary it is to get rid of it? :v:

Hehehe

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Either "oh god this sucks I hate this" necessary to "oh my god I want to cover my entire body in this" depending on what fungus is taking root inside your flesh

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Will I die to it? Should my number one priority to be to figure out how to get rid of it? I just closed the game since I have no idea what to do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Will I die to it? Should my number one priority to be to figure out how to get rid of it? I just closed the game since I have no idea what to do.

it's more really annoying than it is fatal, although it can kill you indirectly -- sapient plants hate fungus and hosting enough of it will make them attack you on sight

if you visit the jungle village of Kyakukya the mayor will sell you a book that details how to cure various diseases, including fungal infections

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It can turn into one of many things, and some of them suck and some of them are good

Fickle gill: gently caress gently caress gently caress you're hosed. Clouds of spores everywhere. You'll aggro everyone and spread fungus all across Qud. You're better off amputating your limb.
Waxflab: Basically heavy armor or a natural weapon. It's not the best you can find in the slot, but you can make use of it until you cure it.
Mumblemouth: Free secrets! Pretty nice if you get it on a superfluous limb.
Glowcrust: Free armor or weapon that generates ~60dram value mushrooms that work as healing salves at a constant rate AND produces light AND mild cold resist. You have won the lottery.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So it's not that mission-critical, I can go on with my life and at some point deal with it later, and I don't need to beeline for solution? Happened to find a isschari rifleman which gave me his rifle. Then a trader nearby sold me 100 lead slugs. I shot an amoeba twice, once for 12 dmg then for 24dmg. Previously my dagger has done like 1-4 damage on hit...

E: wow that rifle gives like 4-10x more damage per shot :D Also it seems to hit with nearly all bullets, while melee usually whiffs.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 6, 2024

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

So it's not that mission-critical, I can go on with my life and at some point deal with it later, and I don't need to beeline for solution? Happened to find a isschari rifleman which gave me his rifle. Then a trader nearby sold me 100 lead slugs. I shot an amoeba twice, once for 12 dmg then for 24dmg. Previously my dagger has done like 1-4 damage on hit...

E: wow that rifle gives like 4-10x more damage per shot :D Also it seems to hit with nearly all bullets, while melee usually whiffs.

Roll the fungal dice! Maybe you'll get lucky!

And the Issachar rifle is way better than your standard dinky dagger. Melee is beaten out by ranged weapons early on, but then melee takes the lead for a while, and then it's mostly what you've specced to, with properly-specced-melee being your best for high damage but ranged being very necessary because there are things that you don't want to be near.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yeah in the long run there isn't really such a thing as a pure melee or ranged build in qud, not that's any good anyways.

melee has easier (though not exclusive) access to anti-armor solutions and some enemies are a threat as long as they're alive regardless of range, in which case the best solution is often to get in their face and apply superior DPS through melee

other enemies are harmless until you're next to them and then they're a nightmare. you want to be able to deal with both, and while you can invest hundreds of skill points in the Pistol tree if you want high ranged DPS, rifles and bows take like... one skill, if that, to be good, and then everything else in the rest of the tree is weird niche luxury nonsense

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I usually spend the first 10 levels or so exclusively using a musket or rifle no matter what my build is lol

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

When I last checked out Caves of Qud there was a select-able laptop keybinding setup for those of us without number pads (I use 80% keyboards). It seems to be gone in the latest version. Is there a recommended setup recorded anywhere? I did some searching but haven't found anything useful. I figure if there's a "standard" layout for this sort of thing (based around the VI-style hjkl movement, etc) I might as well adopt that instead of inventing my own.

edit: Digging deeper, the default bindings leave a number of free keys, so moving Skills (S), Look (V), Journal (M), Tinker (Z), allows YJU/H L/BKN vi/nethack style movement without much disruption. I threw auto-explore on /.

Also, a UI question, are the various screens that are 80x25 cell displays scaled to the full screen (inventory, character sheet, journal, etc) expected to be replaced as part of the UI overhaul that's ongoing? Or at least going to be able to work with the pixel perfect scaling that the main game display uses?

Quinton fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 7, 2024

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah in the long run there isn't really such a thing as a pure melee or ranged build in qud, not that's any good anyways.

Not true, a temporal fugue melee build actively wants to become incapable of ranged attacks, to stop the clones turning each other hostile with missed shots. And, if you can stand the annoyance of the long cooldown, it's inarguably very strong to beat up on something with seven time clones.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Arcvasti posted:

Not true, a temporal fugue melee build actively wants to become incapable of ranged attacks, to stop the clones turning each other hostile with missed shots. And, if you can stand the annoyance of the long cooldown, it's inarguably very strong to beat up on something with seven time clones.

that's a ranged build where your ranged weapon is yous

e: also you can do stuff like achieve 100% cold resistance and equip them with freeze rays and it's better than just leaving the slot empty. i've run more than a few fugue characters in my day lol

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I found a wire extruder. Can I somehow use it to print 200 feet of wire, by any chance? :v:

E: my hand turned into glowcrust. Does that spread or is my hand a glowcrust from now on? I wonder if it forbids operating weapons for example..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 7, 2024

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Getting a fungal infection prevents you from equipping anything to that body part until you cure the infection. There's a book that can teach you some important medicinal stuff; if you come across a copy, you'll want to hold onto it for sure.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Perhaps I should read item descs before equipping them. Picked up a gentling mask - cool, a mask piece with armor! *equips it*.

E: also realized these subterranean dungeons probably never end. Why am I doing these. I want just out :D

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 7, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I suspect it comes down to a bit of a gamble based on where/what enemies kool aid man into the area, but does anyone have any hot tips on getting through Grit Gate defence without any bear deaths? I always seem to lose one or two and Otho shames me.

I've been putting it off to the point where I'm level 37 and have four jacked phase rifles or arc winders on my many large arms, but uh, neither of these are ideal at avoiding collateral damage.

Maybe the stasis cybernetic or time cubes and burn down the biggest targets before they can do anything... or is there anything I can give the bears to make them a bit less prone to electricity and then just arc winder the poo poo out of the whole place?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Freeze grenades (and their land mine form) are good since they lock down enemies without hurting allies, giving you extra time to kill. Rocket skates or a Fume flier is good for finishing one area and getting to the next breach quickly. Prosetylizing/beguiling tanky melee enemies like magma crabs, polysludges, or cragmensche and telling them to hold position near the breach spot you yourself are not planning to start at can tie up the enemies a lot as well.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Portable walls.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Getting a fungal infection prevents you from equipping anything to that body part until you cure the infection. There's a book that can teach you some important medicinal stuff; if you come across a copy, you'll want to hold onto it for sure.
I want to say the ape mayor always has that thang on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

okay man if losing three chairs, some plants and a Wii remote is a "much was lost" situation to you I'm just going to assume you're never loving satisfied