Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean werent the eaters a hyper utopian far future human society? Like almost xeelee tier? Dispensing abstract concepts seems like something up their alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

historic site: ffxi

edit: there's multiple other huge groups of them on each side, including multiple rhinoxs :psyduck: this is completely impossible

_jink fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 27, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Congratulations, you've wandered into this.

But yeah, the historical sites aren't always... fair. First one I went into was about 75% chaingun turrets. That's Qud!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

_jink posted:

edit: there's multiple other huge groups of them on each side, including multiple rhinoxs :psyduck: this is completely impossible

What are those things?

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are those things?

Eyeless crabs and eyeless king crabs

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The crabs always look like pig heads to me.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Arkangelus posted:

Eyeless crabs and eyeless king crabs

And rustaceans! unless they're just bloody crabs.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

_jink posted:

Were the crabs cultists? And do you happen to know where in the world map this historic dungeon appeared?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You guys oughta use the king crab tile for the giant magma crabs. Thought of that the other day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An update with no news. :ohdear:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

An update with no news. :ohdear:

Just hotfixing some stuff, it's in the patch notes thread.

*Added a missing acid pool type
*Added a missing oil pool type
*Fixed an issue causing blink relic to grant immunity to all damage
*Fixed an issue with imposter synchronization
*Fixed an issue with case-sensitivity on the textures folder in a mod
*Fixed unlimited Unstable Genome triggers
*Added an alternate bind (northeast) to store an item in a container

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

Were the crabs cultists? And do you happen to know where in the world map this historic dungeon appeared?

yeah, the icy heir of crabs kinfolk :v:

looks like its just the king crabs and rhinoxs that are cultists though, hazarding a guess that king crabs are coded to spawn a posse of regular crabs/rustaceans with them? I poked into the first floor and it looks like there's kindle crabs as well (and wooden walls, which should be interesting).

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Any tips on playing a True Kin Artifex? They seem very random because a lot depends on your starting gear and whats available in the shops. Are turrets a valid way to respond to threats or are they not very effective?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Any tips on playing a True Kin Artifex? They seem very random because a lot depends on your starting gear and whats available in the shops. Are turrets a valid way to respond to threats or are they not very effective?

I've gotten pretty far (past golgatha at least) with turrets, the only trouble with them is that:

1) You have to lug around a lot of turretable weapons, meaning you can't dump STR as a stat OR you're gonna have to build your own guns and hope you have the mats to do so consistently
2) Friendly fire is more common than you'd like, try to stay behind your turrets and pray no enemies show up behind you otherwise prepare to eat lead slugs/wooden arrows

After doing a turret build I probably wouldn't make another turret-centric build--it's way too easy to die early on. Maybe a ranged person who also has turrets to help with some extra fire.

When you play a turret character Qud becomes more like a really RNG-heavy tower defense game where your turrets are as likely to kill you as the enemy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You really need to be able to break down your own turrets and reuse them. Carrying around a few high end turrets should be preferable to making GBS threads out a dozen disposable bow turrets.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Any tips on playing a True Kin Artifex?

Don't.

Play a eunuch instead, they get actual starting combat abilities, only 1 less intelligence for +2 agility, and because they don't start with tinker you get better control over what data disks you get.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Clever Spambot posted:

Don't.

Play a eunuch instead, they get actual starting combat abilities, only 1 less intelligence for +2 agility, and because they don't start with tinker you get better control over what data disks you get.

This. Half the fun of tinkering is getting to make cool poo poo that augments your combat abilities; True Men Artifex have no combat abilities to speak of, are at the mercy of RNG for their intro tinkering skills, and are True Men (so they suck butts already).

Eunuch puts you in a good position to go down a ton of routes that won't be a pain to play sans mutations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Deployed turrets seem to get your inspiring words bonus from the ego skill tree, even without prosly/beguiling them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How long exactly does it take to set up a turret? Dropping one with an enemy in sight can be pretty fatal

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
turrets should be like giant grenades, throw them and they set themselves up

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

_jink posted:

yeah, the icy heir of crabs kinfolk :v:

looks like its just the king crabs and rhinoxs that are cultists though, hazarding a guess that king crabs are coded to spawn a posse of regular crabs/rustaceans with them? I poked into the first floor and it looks like there's kindle crabs as well (and wooden walls, which should be interesting).

Ah, this all seems to be working as intended. The difficulty of a historic dungeon is based on its location on the world map, and river tiles are in the 15-20 level range (consistent with Eyeless King Crabs). The big crabs are members of the Icy Heir of Crabs Kinfolk (naturally), and the little ones are the followers that get gen'd when the king crabs are rolled. The rhinoxes are OOD encounters, but OOD encounters are more likely in the historic dungeons.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I had a spider themed one that had tiles with webs on top of webs on top of more webs, which was a little on the aggravatingly tedious side.

Seems to be a fair bit of generation of 1 tile corridors which bring the danger level down quite a bit, too.

These are my observations so far, but it's fun stuff.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/814569437181476864

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/814570383189876738

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/814572495231655937

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What's a fun True Man build? I'm trying to break myself out of my Freezing Hands crutch playstyle.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Game is fun.

I noticed that it's possible for the historic dungeons to show up fine with tiles enabled but to be invisible in 'console' mode. Maybe it only happened because the location was on a river tile?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fuligin posted:

What's a fun True Man build? I'm trying to break myself out of my Freezing Hands crutch playstyle.

I'd also like to know, because I now rely on them cold fingers way too much. And that's fine, but I'd like to branch out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I'm a little concerned about what kind of person owns that tiny closet filled with A. Liquor and B. a Honeyskunk.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I like Horticulturalist-tinkers. Axes and smarts! And the bleeding resistance doesn't hurt, especially in those early levels.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I just experienced my first "sultan of Qud" area and it was (as is usual in CoQ) weird. It was full of glowpad guys that were rated "impossible" but were actually incredibly weak being unable to damage my character, while simultaneously being night impossible for my guy to hit. Queue myself holding down W, A, S or D to bump into these titanic glowpads until enough hits got in to kill one. When they died each had a recoiler to Joppa or Grit Gate on their corpse along with about 4 or 5 dismembered plant parts from the slaughter. There was so much good loot on these things it was insane, Eigenrifles, Crysteel stuff, Armour, hundreds of drams of water. Every so often I killed one and it changed my reputation with something, I assume it was a leader. I think I killed about 20 of them. 10/10 so far!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unormal/status/814626175058374656

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

7c Nickel posted:

I'm a little concerned about what kind of person owns that tiny closet filled with A. Liquor and B. a Honeyskunk.

Obviously the Honeyskunk.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Oh god yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:toot::toot::toot:

Beautiful.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

mitochondritom posted:

I just experienced my first "sultan of Qud" area and it was (as is usual in CoQ) weird. It was full of glowpad guys that were rated "impossible" but were actually incredibly weak being unable to damage my character, while simultaneously being night impossible for my guy to hit. Queue myself holding down W, A, S or D to bump into these titanic glowpads until enough hits got in to kill one. When they died each had a recoiler to Joppa or Grit Gate on their corpse along with about 4 or 5 dismembered plant parts from the slaughter. There was so much good loot on these things it was insane, Eigenrifles, Crysteel stuff, Armour, hundreds of drams of water. Every so often I killed one and it changed my reputation with something, I assume it was a leader. I think I killed about 20 of them. 10/10 so far!

...it sounds like it was full of glowpad merchants?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What a turtle, Mark.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Fuligin posted:

there aren't any tbh. True men are the warriors to mutant's wizards, circa early D&D.

but here's a rad mutant build I've been refining recently!

STR: 14 AGI: 22 TOU: 16 INT: 14 WIL: 16 EGO: 18 (gunslinger)
temporal fugue, syphon vim, mental mirror, light manipulation, analgesia (D)

light manip is a regening source of ammo to use before your revolvers come out, and provides illumination for early dual-wielding. Also lots of damage. Syphon vim is a better, free salve injector every fight combined with ambient & armor-ignoring damage. When you're unsure of a situation, or facing something tough, temporal fugue summons a posse of lazering, life leeching gunbuddies. The Analgesia defect is the only one that isn't annoying/crippling, so tends to be my go-to for more points, which I dropped into mental mirror. Clairvoyance and Teleport Other are good options as well.

this build is crazy strong once you get a couple levels. I took out a squad of rogue ogre apes before even finishing redrock, which would be completely impossible on most characters.

its one weakness is rather limited escape options if you can't out-muscle something. If you're newer, and don't have a feel for threat levels yet, it'd be worth dropping mental mirror/syphon for a strong defensive mutation like phasing/teleport (and moving a couple points from ego > toughness wouldn't hurt either).

_jink fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 30, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

Don't listen the haters, True Men can do some neat stuff. You just have to play slow and careful. Those higher characteristics can pay off immensely in the long run.

The Eunuch in particular can be very effective as a short blades + pistols tinker build. They start with Shank, the undisputed King of Weapon Skills, and will have more than enough skill points to fill out the short blades tree. Hobble in particular is great for escaping or ruining a dodgy enemy's day.

Syzygyrior has a rough start because they don't have actual weapon skills, but you can either be a short blades blender or if you want to use other weapons, you can dump a little agility for strength and let their +3 bonus carry their to-hit and dodge up to an acceptable level.

I've also had good luck with a Child of the Wheel. Axe and dagger together actually sync up pretty well, and Iron Mind will make it safer to scarf down Witchwood Bark.

True Men can be a little rough early on, they're more dependent on ruins-diving to find good artifacts to supplement their power, and they'll never get up to the sheer insanity of certain mutant builds, but I've taken a Eunuch all the way to the end of the current existing quests, so I know it can be done.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 30, 2016

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Maelephant posted:

...it sounds like it was full of glowpad merchants?

I thought that too, but upon gaining vision they always throw (can a glowpad throw?) a grenade at me so they are definitely hostile.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think historic cult members are always hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Fuligin posted:

I typically run Praetorians or Syzygyriors. Praetorians are probably the easiest start, since they have steel armor, long sword and shield, and they have a desert rifle. Their equipment can pretty much carry them through Golgotha with no real issues. I think the first time I managed to beat Slog was with a Praetorian. Almost got Mamon too, but then I threw a grenade at a wall and owned myself.

...Maybe don't take my advice.