Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm in Grit Gate but I can't figure out how to open any of these doors.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've tried bumping them and pressing space/o next to them, but I'm getting no results - not even a message about nothing happening, or anything like that.
e: I'm stupid and hadn't actually picked up the quest.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just stumbled across a Goatfolk camp on the overworld map, then I wandered two screens away on the zone map and found a freshwater weep. If I return to the same square on the world map and > will it take me to the same goatfolk camp or am I going to have to do some exploring and note-taking to find my way back here in the future?

Peanut Butler posted:

Been playing this off and on since the old free ASCII version, and something about it just clicked the other day- haven't really had that happen in a roguelike, even ones like DCSS that I've put hours into-

Right now having a blast going through and making builds based on maxing out a stat and seeing how it goes- Max Toughness Mutant + Double-Hearted + Double-Muscled + Multiple Legs is so far by far the longest survivor at level 22

I'm in the exact same situation, suddenly I understand how to play this game and be successful and I don't know what changed except learning that a Glowsphere in my Thrown Weapon slot gives off light :hfive: My multiple arms/multiple legs shortblade stabber is going fantastically.

edit: nevermind, when I killed the last of the Goatfolk the camp despawned and it became a regular wilderness map without the freshwater weep :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 22, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

That doesn't sound right. Each overworld tile is 3x3 of the local tiles. The camp and the weep should both still be there. Maybe discovering the camp took you off the central local tile and your wanderings from there took you into another overworld tile. If you zone into the tile from the overworld map, you should be on the central local tile and the goatfolk camp should be within one tile of that, possibly diagonally. Look around. You should able able to find the goatfolk camp and retrace your steps to the weep from there.

The character's dead now so it doesn't really matter, but literally immediately as I killed the last enemy the screen I was on changed to a regular wilderness tile and the buildings/weep disappeared. I'm not sure what happened!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I fell down a shaft into the Underground, and couldn't find any stairs up. After some exploring, I got teleported by something into a smallish area with no way out. I tried binding Move Up and Force Attack Up to keys but they didn't let me dig through the ceiling or anything like that. Other than wishing for a cell for my empty recoiler (which is what I eventually did) is there meant to be any guaranteed way out of the Underground? Even very slowly being able to dig up while starving to death would be a nice option!

Also, I think there's a bug with quitting. If you load a saved game, and then quit without saving, it gives you an endgame summary message as if you're choosing to abandon your character even though they'll be available as expected when you next try to load a game.

You can go into the Keybinds menu and bind "Force Floor Up" or something like that to a key, it's just a debug command that moves you up one floor. You can use it until you reach the overworld map. I prefer this to wishing because then I don't have a cheated-in cell at the end!

edit: "Noclip Up" in Debug commands under the Keybindings menu

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 24, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I stopped playing ninja turtles and four-armed stabbers for a while to try Espers and now that I've got one off the ground I don't know if I'll ever play anything else. Being able to Temporal Fugue + Teleport to Nope Out of any fight while 3+ clones of me throw a bunch of grenades to vaporize the entire room is pretty sweet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Also when will I learn that the bottom of the rust well is not an excuse to go diving in the underground till I run into a chaingun turret?!

My new thing is taking Temporal Fugue + Teleport on literally every character no matter what they do so I just send teleporting suicide clones against turrets and I delve the underground with impunity :kiddo:

Temporal Fugue + Teleport + Regen with a 2-handed axe-wielder is my new favorite thing. Every clone dismembers, every clone cleaves!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What stats on a mutoid? I'm new and not sure how to axe. Do I need much agi?

My build is not ideal and I don't particularly min/max but it is newbie friendly:

STR 19
AGI 19
TOU 19
INT 15
WIL 14
EGO 15

I don't use tinkering as much as others and the only thing this build needs to get running are a few axe skills (cleave, charge attack, backswing - and I start as Marauder for Dismember and Butcher) so I leave my Int at 15 but you could easily drop some str/agi and particularly toughness for more int and be fine. I choose odd numbers for the big power spike when I get +1 all attributes. High agi lets you use a gun (which is great with Temporal Fugue since each clone has your gun and duplicate inventories of your own, including ammo). I only use ego for the max rank of mental mutations, not for bonus ranks, and I manually put points into Temporal Fugue but you could spend points on more Mutations instead if you want to go higher Ego.

You could drop Toughness all the way down to 10 and probably be fine if you really wanted to, it's a very safe character to play because you can hang back out of line of sight and let your clones do all the fighting. What Tuxedo Catfish said about Clairvoyance is a great idea because then you don't even have to reveal yourself to enemies and you could do that without taking any defects. I just want to be a big hulking clone wizard, personally, and I build my characters mostly around a theme instead of ideal stats.

I'm certifiably Bad At Roguelikes and often use Teleport as a gap closer instead of an escape (and I also leave it at rank 1) which is why I work Regen in to it - Charge alone and its 3-tile range just aren't enough for me. It mostly exists for the sake of my clones though, any time I see a tough fight across the map I pop them then hide behind a wall while they teleport in and start cutting everything to pieces. You would be better served saving it to escape.

I'm going to try Clairvoyance instead of Regen and dropping some Toughness for Ego next time, because my last character got murdered when my Evil Twin eventually somehow got out of control and had infinite duration on his clones.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 2, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've noticed a bug when turning in Argyve's first two quests with the Overlay UI turned on - when using the numpad to scroll through your list of available artifacts to hand over, the first down arrow press works as intended but the second moves the selection to the dialog window instead of the item selection window, and if you press enter while the dialog window is selected it turns in the first listed artifact.

I go through dialog menus really fast off of muscle memory so this has caused me to occasionally hand in salve injectors instead of my intended folding metal chairs or grenades.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Joppa is spelling of an Israeli town that comes up in the Bible a bunch so there's about a billion of them around.

There are a whole lot of middle-eastern and biblical names in Qud. Golgotha is the hill where Jesus was crucified, Mehmet is the Turkish form of Muhammad. Bethesda Susa is a combination of the Pool of Bethesda in Jerusalem and the city of Susa which is one of the oldest known cities in the world and a major part of the early Persian empire. There are some other maybe coincidental things like Argyve, with Argive meaning a citizen of Argos, an ancient greek city which was ruled by many different empires throughout history and is sort-of-unique in that it's filled with both muslim and christian religious buildings. Then again, there's also an Argos in Indiana. v:shobon:v

Edit from way in the future: There's an unfinished zone called Garden of Geth which could refer to Gethsemane, the olive garden where Jesus slept the night before he was crucified.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 7, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When the game pauses to build another zone when I kill something I like to imagine that I'm sending them to their own little personal Qudzu hells

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I also miss how easy to read the sidebar was, but it gave me serious disorientation issues with the way that it blocked a third of each map, something about not being able to see the entire map made me uneasy. I don't know what the solution is but I agree that the thin band across the top is hard to assess at a glance. I use it anyway.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Today I learned that Young Ivory is a real thing when I stepped barefoot into a patch of Puncturevine IRL. I think I'm too traumatized to play Qud again. I mostly wanted to post this because Puncturevine sounds like a better name than Young Ivory :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 19, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have 68 hours played in this game but I still die a lot to Salthoppers in the early game trip to the rust wells. Is there some kind of secret I'm missing with them or do I just need to be better about spotting them and pre-emptively running away? They seem to give every build I try trouble, and they're too fast to run away from if I don't have an escape option yet.

I particularly struggle on my True Kin characters because they don't have Teleport or Temporal Fugue to run away with, and having to stick myself with a Salve almost every time I fight one kind of sucks.

edit: I know this is nothing new to anyone in this thread but I just want to gush about how much I love the absurdly random power curves and spikes in this game. Sometimes I'll have a character that absolutely everything goes wrong for, still holding a steel sword after a couple hours and barely surviving things by the skin of my teeth. Other times I move two screens away from Joppa and see a honey weep and a caravan being slaughtered by wild dogs, then loot the corpses for an eater's nectar, 300 pounds of fresh water and a folded carbide sword.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 28, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If I load a Dart Gun up with an injector and then Temporal Fugue with it equipped, who will the clones shoot at?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The answer is that they shoot them at enemies, even if it's e.g. a Salve Injector, though clones have no regard for shooting through each other (or you if you're in the way) so it really just turns into a clusterfuck of needle sharing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

so a storm or something hit Joppa on the like 3rd round after i started a new game and i get this:

This happens occasionally when Mehmet spawns with reputation tags making him hated by the Warden in Joppa

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Overlay UI Suggestion: Sometimes the length of an item's name (e.g. Bloody irritable tortoise's left front foot #5) truncates on the Get menu and it stops displaying the item's weight (e.g. "Bloody irritable tortoise's left..."). Weight also isn't shown on the Look dialog, so the only way to check the weight of an item with a long name is to pick it up and view it from your inventory. Weight should always be displayed on the Get menu and should probably be displayed in the Look dialog just because why not

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is it possible to mod in new tinker mods? It seems the tinker mods are stored in Mods.xml but that file doesn't define their effects, just some properties like rarity and what tinker level they require. I haven't been able to find where their actual effects are and I've dug through everything in \StreamingAssets\, are they hard coded?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I fired a shotgun outdoors at like level 5 and hit every single out-of-sight equimax halfway across the map, and then went on a cross-country marathon trying to sprint away from them. That was the last time I trusted a shotgun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to take Temporal Fugue on pretty much every single character but I've been a lot more successful since I stopped doing that. It was too much of a steamroll button that wasn't teaching me anything about the enemies my clones were fighting offscreen and I would almost always end up dying to their grenades or missed ranged attacks or whatever. These days I say just give me sunder mind, cryokinesis and a dagger and let me do it myself..

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there anything bad that can happen to me from carrying around a phial of Neutron Flux? The Phial is indestructible, right? So it should be safe?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

After a lucky start with lots of great loot in my first 8 levels (including a dagger with a 12% chance to dismember), I have fully realized the absurd power of clairvoyance + sunder mind + teleport and I am now murdering my way through the mechanimist complex in Bethesda Susa without being seen. I have a stash in Joppa full of heavy weapons and explosives, I crafted a masterwork eigenrifle, and I've found weeps for honey, convalescence, and oil. I finally know how it feels to be a mutated murderbeast :cool:

Except the one thing wrong is that I accidentally sundered the quest baetyl and now it's hostile :(
edit: I just wished for another one because I wanted to continue but is there an actual real way I could have regained its trust so I could insert the disk?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 6, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Another trick I learned in this run is Clairvoyance + Teleport to get into the empty treasure room in the top right of Grit Gate that has 16 unattended chests.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Autoexplore also gets stuck when there's a map tile that's supposed to have a chest, but a wall tile spawned where the chest is. I see this a lot in the round ruins rooms with two guaranteed weapon racks. I imagine the chest still exists under the wall tile and is "visible" (since you have light on that tile) to the autoexplore logic. It gets stuck trying to move into that space and saying "the way is blocked by [material]" or whatever.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Did something change recently with the way ranged attacks/accuracy are handled? I've never played a guns-focused character before but I've never had much trouble hitting with whatever ranged weapons I had equipped as a an agi/daggers character, but now I'm trying to do high int/agi and make a tinker that uses bombs and guns and turrets constantly and even with skill points dumped in them I can't hit for poo poo with my guns. I'm finding myself using a dagger anyway because half the time I can't reliably hit something even once before it's next to me. Have I just been unlucky?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

What guns are you using? I find that some of them just can't hit anything for poo poo unless you're within spitting distance.

I haven't found much better than a Musket or Borderlands Revolver on any of the characters I've been trying to be a guns-only kind of guy on. It's probably the musket doing me in :argh: But I just started a new one and got an Electrobow right off the bat, so I'll give it another shot.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 8, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

The vast majority of my deaths, and honestly my biggest issue with this game, are how you've got all these randomly generated areas, but 99% of the time if you explore them, even areas /right next/ to Joppa, you'll just see a rocket turret (or worse) and die 1 turn afterward.

I really wish the danger of an area was a little bit more predictable, because 'surprise! unescapable instadeath monster!' is a lame way to lose a lot of characters. The few times I get far i usually do so by either being extremely lucky and not dying to turrets, or completely avoiding non-quest related areas as much as humanly possible, as quest related areas are much less likely to have random rocket/machine gun turrets before you can feasibly handle them. I feel like in areas close to the surface and close to inhabited areas these turrets should have run out of ammo/been broken down ages ago, or if there's some really awful monster a town wouldn't have popped up so close to it.

I used to feel this way but eventually I realized it was a problem with my builds. It sucks that to deathproof yourself you need to take certain mutations, but they're mutations I take anyway now because they're fun. Freezing Hands or (even better) Cryokinesis will take care of rocket turrets, being able to teleport away when autoexplore unveils something mean is basically the escape.

A big difference between Qud and other Roguelikes is that there are no consumable escapes. There's not an item that you can use to teleport away when you're in danger, so you need the mutation that lets you do it. I can't really imagine playing this game without Teleport or at least four-legged to sprint away and I feel obligated to take them on every character. It would be nice to see a fairly common consumable that would give me an uncontrolled teleport to a random tile on the same map I'm on, or something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

resistentialism posted:

You can chow down on a voider corpse as a one turn emergency teleport. If it's inside a box you won't auto-eat it.

If you have expert harvestry or butchery you can get yondercane or voider glands, which give controlled teleport and weigh 1 aum rather than 15.

:aaa: I never knew about any of that!

In other news, I started a new game and got a freakin' sweet start where a dromad merchant sold me crysteel and folded carbide daggers when I was level 7 on the way to the Rust Wells. I finished the Rust Wells/Redrock quests, went to explore a Sultan site, and... one of the creature groups that worships the sultan is weeps. Yes, hostile cultist weeps spawning 3-12 at a time on each floor. :hellyeah:

(Seed is DD40900 for anyone who wants it for whatever reason)

Edit: Oh goodness, the pink chest there also had +Ego boots in it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 12, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you walk around the water in the top-left of Joppa you'll find a crack you can descend in to. It's a starter-level cave full of weak enemies and if you follow the underground river (go straight down until you see it) it takes you all the way to Red Rock underground where the Girshlings are, and to around level 6 by the time you get there if you did Argyve's first two quests before leaving town.

Edit: The "safer" start is still wandering around the marshes outside of Joppa and killing Glowfish to stock up on food and get some easy early exp but I don't bother with that anymore, the caves are safe enough if you play carefully. The worst you'll run in to are some higher-class Snapjaws or Plated Knollworms/Crabs slugsnouts toward the end of the trip.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 13, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just stay away from Slumberlings and move out of LoS when I see them. I don't think I've seen one wake up since I first started playing.

The most frustrating thing about the early game to me is that occasionally things like Slugsnouts will see you from outside your light radius, start shooting at you, and kill you before you can react or see them unless you can teleport across the map. Clairvoyance + Teleport takes two turns and they'll get two shoots in on you in the meantime which is enough to kill some squishy characters with bad luck.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 13, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What does an amphibious character need to do to get the effects of drinking honey? I'm assuming I drink it like anyone else but I don't want to later regret not pouring it all over myself like some kind of weird erotic ritual.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have some feature requests now that I'm playing this game way too much and addicted to it:

Baetyls added to the exploration journal (including what they asked for)

An "Automove to Edge of Map" button. The stair up/stair down buttons moving me to the applicable stairs is great but I'd like something I can use when exploring underground or in Canyons for example. In wide-open maps I can use the Walk command then press a direction but in some map types it's annoying getting to the edge of a map this way. If I could for example press Shift+W then numpad 6 and the game would automove me around obstacles to the eastern edge of the map that would be cool. Alternately a "Go to tile" command where I could select a tile and have my character move there.

An option for Autoexplore to loot bookcases

Also updated Bookcase tiles that appropriately show their empty/full status when they have other things affecting them. When a bookcase is frozen or when you hold Alt it's always shown as full, even if it's empty.

An option to manually exclude tiles/areas from autoexplore, that way I could still use autoexplore when I know there's a dangerous chaingun room or an unlootable chest stuck beneath a wall tile or when it otherwise gets stuck trying to move into a wall tile.

An option to "rest anyway" when trying to rest and an enemy is in vision. A lot of the time resting gets prevented because of an enemy across the map that I can see, but that's immobile or not aware of me. Not being able to rest until Clairvoyance ends sucks when you're doing things like Sunder Mind sniping.

Rest Until Healed should either rest until cooldowns are up OR if people are worried about starving, there should be a separate rest until healed button for it.

Option to flag items Not for Consumption so that auto-eating won't consume them.

A stilt recoiler :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 15, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

While we're at it give me a tinker mod that lets me put hoverjets on anything and equip it to my floating nearby slot. I want a hoverjet-powered shield blocking attacks for me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know what any of this is yet but I suspect I'm about to die extravagantly

(spoilers for new features I guess)

edit:
So the Espers being watched thing seems to be that special new unique named mobs spawn sometimes to hunt you down. The ones I've faced so far go down in 1 turn and don't drop any loot. It seems like they will spawn in big groups or there will be stronger ones as my glimmer goes up.

I still have no idea what the extradimensional dagger does.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 16, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used wishes and the permanent dominate bug to play with a level 55 extradimensional salt kraken as my main character. The Salt Kraken gets its own Psychic Glimmer and esper assassins, and for some reason after I cast Temporal Fugue on him one of the clones decided to stick around forever, so I guess I'm really playing as two level 55 extradimensional salt krakens, that can each individually cast their own Temporal Fugues. Needless to say, I'm playing as several extradimensional salt krakens.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 16, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think that's the bug where dominating something and then immediately one-shotting your original body causes your mind to be trapped in the dominated creature forever, which effectively makes it your new body.

Which, let's be real, that owns.

Yep, exactly this. Kill your original body with your dominated body - if the attack doesn't kill you it'll break domination and then you just wait and cast it again and attack again.

I think the dominate target has to be what kills you and deaths to your original body by other things while using Dominate will cause a normal game-over.

Please don't patch it out because it rules! It's fun playing the game as Mehmet or another NPC sometimes. Or at least make it a debug command if it's patched out of Dominate. Or give us a parasitic worm genotype where the character we're playing is actually just the worm itself inhabiting the host body of the player we create, and we have an ability to (attempt to) jump into a new body and assume permanent control.

PS I want better modding documentation so I can make these things a reality! I'm no expert modder but I can't find half of what I'm looking for in the game files (like tinker mods in order to add new ones). I have a lot of ideas for this game that I'd actually be motivated to produce if I could figure out how.

edit: May or may not require your Dominate target being Beguiled - I always beguile before dominating.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I hope getting a high Ego as True Kin still gets you attacked by espers, but only because they can't loving stand you as a person.

It won't :( The espers that attack are attracted to your "Psychic Glimmer" which is the cumulative level of all of your mental mutations.

Does anyone know what exactly Extradimensional weapons do yet? I still haven't figured it out.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 17, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is already a thing, try wishing for "swap" and then point to an adjacent NPC.

Hell yeah! Thanks for all the little tips everyone posts in this thread all the time, like whoever mentioned mouse mode moving earlier - I switched it on and it makes some map types so much easier to navigate.

Bug report: Since Evil Twin never targets your allies, you can just kite him around a single tile (and that tile can be your ally) forever while a Beguiled or Proselytized follower chips away at him. Not extremely abusable because to make it work you have to keep your inventory free of things like grenades, but he should probably be clever enough to cut down my level 1 snapjaw buddy when he's blocking the path to me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can I hook someone and space-time vortex away

edit: Make Chimera give infinite low-chance or lesser (one choice) unstable genomes and disable their ability to manually buy mutations, make them the class of dudes who are still actively mutating.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's still best to mostly focus on DV over AV though, right? Obviously 0 AV is bad and you need to get some in there, but high AV gear has such high DV penalties that they don't really feel comparable. I recently started trying to make AV-focused characters work and I just can't, you need a ton of AV from what I understand but I'm struggling to get an Esper off the ground and to the point where I'm stacking my AV high if I focus on STR instead of AGI (and lose all the AGI DV plus the DV from Acrobatics).

Maybe I should just be running an AGI Ego Projection even though I'm using an axe or mace. I'm a little bored of using daggers on every Esper I play.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 18, 2017