Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Twitch posted:

So there's a giant water weep in my game. Right in the bazaar. making GBS threads out thousands of drams of apparently unclaimed water.

On a similar note, I just got around to the red rock quest at level 10 because I found enough good stuff in the starting areas to risk an early trip to the Stilt, and I'm comically smashing all of the snapjaws in the waterlogged tunnel in one hit.

edit: There's a weird fungus area that spawned around one of the rust wells that I mostly avoided, but saw it contained a gel weep, so if I get an infection, at least that's taken care of.

rng seed *bangs hands on table* RNG SEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Tollymain posted:

introduce a pants slot and a severable rear end

e: "oh, I got something in my pants slot for you," I sigh as I unsheathe my katana unequip my Walk-Around Butt

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 26, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
im super stoked to see if the lategame questline goes up to orbit ptoohhhhhyeahhhhh

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I was thinking about waiting until release to play again but... maybe I need to do another run just to familiarize with some new mechanics? My esper-scholar build prooobably needs to consider psychic glimmer

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/cavesofqud/comments/6oipc0/psychic_glimmer_is_good_and_fun/ do you want to get assimilated by ptoh? because this is how you get assimilated by ptoh

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 2, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Bilal posted:

Did something change in the early game spawns these last few patches? I've been dying to horned chameleons, legendary snapjaws with 100+ hp, slugsnouts, etc, all in the rust wells or Red Rock. I don't remember enemies this tough ever spawning at these locations. I sat down to play and went through 6 or 7 characters today, all dying at level 1 or 2. I always play truekin so this is happening even with me using injectors.

I know you're supposed to run away from tough enemies but I was getting chased down, or sprinting lowered my DV enough I was getting killed at low health. And if there's a legendary on the first sublevel of Red Rock, where else can I even go to level? I have 170 hours in this game, someone please give me early game tips. :downs:

dang this sounds mad fun for my (initially super squishy) scholar-esper, nothing like getting wrecked 6x times by neat rare mobs before finally getting a character to level 5

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
this sounds so consistent and bad that I wonder if you maybe have a bad mod or tripped a "piracy->make game stupid hard" switch?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
from my observations, the snapjaws with pyrokinesis that live on level 3 of Red Rock seem to subsist primarily on a diet of smoldering baby esper builds

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

ToxicFrog posted:

Apropos of this, what is Tighten Carapace actually good for? Last time I used it seemed like doing literally anything at all except waiting would cause it to loosen, and there's pretty much no circumstance where waiting and facetanking whatever's about to happen is a better option than running away or using an item or something.

look when someone tells me to "just hold on to your [my] butt" that's what I do

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
i hope someone sees my
i hope someone sees my
psychic glimmer esper

(for real tho, my scholar/tinker/esper just got psychometry right after buying the data disk for and crafting an overloaded laser pistol so things could get spicy if some lesser esper hunter wants to step)

i think this is the run where I finally go full "craft plenty of grenades" comedy option. live by the grenade, almost certainly die by my own grenade

next quest is bethesda susa and I think my faction rep is good enough that I can get through 1 of the levels with no aggro, which would be cool and good

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 28, 2019

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

verbal enema posted:

Does Lase have a range? Im annihilating monkeys across the map

shhhh!!!

I'm excited to hit 21 int with my scholar/esper/tinker so I can use trash divining; I might go back to Golgotha and pyrokinese all the slime / scavenge all the garbaggio to hopefully accrue some serious secrets.

e: scholar, esper, tinker, spy

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 4, 2019

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

verbal enema posted:

Live and drink friends

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Synthbuttrange posted:

kill those loving templar

Angry Diplomat posted:

Important follow-up: will there be an item, skill, or method one can use to unmask NPCs, causing them to become friendly and possibly gaining marginal amounts of reputation with their faction? Because Abolitionists of Qud sounds like my exact poo poo

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Tollymain posted:

i am assuming, but not 100% certain, that this is a robots only thing

as if that makes it less hosed up (not sure if I'm serious or not)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
unsurprisingly the backstory of qud is not a happy one

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

BlondRobin posted:

Actually now that ammo is essentially limitless, thanks to turrets dropping thousands at a time, chain pistols are basically far and away the best weapon; it's not common that the 1-2 additional pen from the overcharged laser pistols makes up the difference for 4 additional shots, and -and this is critical- each chain shot projectile seems to get a disarm chance? so even though you cannot damage them with a high enough DV (mine was 37) it is 100% feasible to wander into the deathlands and search for stalkers and chrome pyramids, then shoot them until their weapons fall off and they become (mostly) harmless, and you can get infinite 7-8 bits as well as antimatter cells. Needless to say this also has great application in anything that wields weapons that isn't a ridiculous optional boss of an enemy. I'd still carry around overcharged laser pistols, just in case you run into GUY GUY, but man chain pistols are good now.

Bonus: If you disarm a Chrome Pyramid's swarm rack they stop counting as a local threat for the game's purposes and you can sit around by your campfire cookin' up some Steamed Matz With Matz while a chrome pyramid ineffectually teleports all around you not realizing it cannot harm you ever again.

hmm crap, now I really want to play this broken version before it gets fixed

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Just one thing helps me forget
Red, red wine

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Zeerust posted:

So Rodanis Y decided, in the wake of the siege of Grit Gate, to chop Q Girl into pieces. Is there a way around this for continuing the main quest?

wish for a q girl? (in a location somewhere that rodanis Y cannot perceive)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
FR: other rituals with potential for faction rep effects, funerals included

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the run i started yesterday has an absolute mother lode of weeps very close to the starting town. it has so many weeps on each level that the game lags like hell if i use auto-move. i am going to be so stinkin rich :getin:

does... does a weep on one level imply weeps below it?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Wafflecopper posted:

Isn't his area like super dangerous for low levels though? At least by the time the story takes you there there's probably not much stuff left for you to buy and you're rolling in wealth anyway

mega agree

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Wafflecopper posted:

What are you doing out of your cage :cop:

gently caress gently caress gently caress

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this thread could do with a longer cooldown and perhaps a lower Ego stat

Ignore is a zero cost skill, too

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Is this just about the new features? If not, some kind of note on the recipes list of what the recipes do, and maybe tweak the tree sprites so you can tell which plants you're gonna have to fight if you wanna occupy their square

slap that alt key brother, it'll show you which squares are occupied by hostile beings (and other things too)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

IronicDongz posted:

Grenades/throwables not taking a turn to reload could be a skill.

"Not A Belly Itcher" [100SP]

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I want to read Motherfucker's Guide to Ballin' in the Caves of Qud

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Trying out an esper apostle with beguile and high int to curve into tinkering and trash divining (also high Wi to keep cooldowns short) and it's a hoot. After making friends with two unique snapjaws and water ritualing them, I'm only mildly distasteful to other snapjaws. Thinking about trying an "actually, I AM here to make friends" run.

It'd be nice to get domination so I can fully play dress-up with my friends and spend their mutation points...

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I foresee activating precognition every time I meet a hostile unique to see if I can make it follow me, so I can then do the water ritualing with it. Will... will this work on psychic glimmer uniques? If so, I hope I end up best buds with the Sightless Way

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I’m gonna need a “deal with it” animated gif

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/why-plants-dont-die-from-cancer

Read this and immediately thought of Qud. Imagining some area that is radioactive, but not as radioactive as the deathlands, where the only surviving beings were particularly gnarly plants. Also thought of this as perhaps a seed crystal for the culture of sapient plants.

quote:

Plants, however, develop in a much more flexible and organic way. Because they can’t move, they have no choice but to adapt to the circumstances in which they find themselves. Rather than having a defined structure as an animal does, plants make it up as they go along. Whether they grow deeper roots or a taller stem depends on the balance of chemical signals from other parts of the plant and the “wood wide web”, as well as light, temperature, water and nutrient conditions.

Critically, unlike animal cells, almost all plant cells are able to create new cells of whatever type the plant needs. This is why a gardener can grow new plants from cuttings, with roots sprouting from what was once a stem or leaf.

All of this means that plants can replace dead cells or tissues much more easily than animals, whether the damage is due to being attacked by an animal or to radiation.

And while radiation and other types of DNA damage can cause tumours in plants, mutated cells are generally not able to spread from one part of the plant to another as cancers do, thanks to the rigid, interconnecting walls surrounding plant cells. Nor are such tumours fatal in the vast majority of cases, because the plant can find ways to work around the malfunctioning tissue.

e: also... makes me wonder about a plant-based player character genome, as impossible as that might be to design in terms of having genuinely different mechanics while being neither completely crippled nor unbelievably breakable.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1148348837922267136

How much of an ego boost do you get wearing that?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Precog, not clairvoyant?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

packetmantis posted:

Good to see a drive-by shitpost can still derail threads for pages.

most threads are susceptible to exactly this. if someone does it a few times, that’s what ignore is for.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Alas, my 🐐 (just a normal beguiled goat, albeit levelled up) got wrecked by two novices of the Sightless Way.

Is Domination worth bringing into a Proselytize/Beguile build? Like, let's spend my followers' mutation points, amirite?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
This is definitely a "shits and giggles" run, as I've willingly taken psychometry and am looking to get trash divining soon.

Fingers crossed for more unique foes to beguile. I had a prosy/beguile run where I got two unique snapjaws, then water ritualed them and eventually got in real good with snapjaws. I wanna do "Caves of Qud: Friendship is Magic" by learning and giving away lots of secrets.

There aren't easier ways to cheese faction rep, are there?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
welp, found a giant water weep and a dromad merchant pariah in the stiltgrounds in another beguile+proselytize run

I guess it's time to zetachrome and crysteel out my snapjaw followers! (after buying Every Waterskin and making many runs to fill and deposit them in a chest that I can reach from a space adjacent to the dromad)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I don't have a ton of time to play so I have yet to accumulate the water vessels I'd need to buy a zetachrome lune.

Also I'm starting to have second thoughts about putting such nice gear on third-rate companions. What if I need to murder them later? Maybe we'll just get matching portable beehives for them. Twinsies!

Seriously though, if I already had dominate I wouldn't care...

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
gdi this is what I'm missing not doing proselytize/beguile/dominate runs

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
If at first you don’t succeed, dismember, dismember again

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
they still need to be uniques though, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Motherfucker posted:

I just had the most qud moment after disposing of my evil twin I nearly deconstructed my hologram bracelet in a rage because he keeps using it to shut down my minion and forcing me to deal with him personally.

loving lol