Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
After bouncing off this game for over a year, playing it for a bit then not coming back for months (steam says I bought it in May 2017), I finally had a character clear the Joppa quests. 100% because I'm getting the game figured out, and not at all because I found two mostly safe ruins filled with well over a dozen books, which I sold for a fullerite battle axe I'm totally supposed to have this early in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Impermanent posted:

until the rest of the MQ is in they're all doomed timelines.

As long as I never load that save again they still have hope...

Not a lot mind you, as I'm bad at this game, but still.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I am in need of advice. My melee characters pretty reliably make it through the Joppa quests, but generally get murdered by goat folk on the way to kyakuya. Should I be doing grit gate or somewhere else first? Or should I just spend some time post joppa doing ruins/rusted arch/whatever to gain a bit more strength before running over there?

(My espers are not yet reliably clearing Joppa, but that feels like it's mostly because I dont have enough patience before going to do the actual quests)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Ran into this interesting bit of... I don't know what this is, but the people of Joppa seem to be quite confused.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Glimpse posted:

I'm finding the Take All button on containers no longer works since the Friday update.

It works for me, but the keybind was changed to F1

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Couple fresh questions: I've grown a fickle gill on my body. I've read I can burn it off with acid, but for the time being it's better armor than what I'm finding. Any downside to keeping it around until I find something worth swapping in?

On the topic of acid, the stilt had an acid weep, and I borrowed some, not realizing it would count as owned. I made it out of town without harming anyone. Will I eventually be forgiven?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You'll release a puff of spores upon taking damage that can accidentally aggro allies, so be careful in towns and/or if you have traveling companions.

Also, no self-respecting sentient plant will give you the time of day.

Is it going to spread to other parts, or is it just the one slot per time I get infected?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please tell us how your first madpole encounter goes :allears:

I thought I was making headway into this game but I have no idea what you are talking about and I'm torn between looking it up and just preparing myself for yet another ridiculous death.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Oh yeah I'm totally covered in waxflab lol. How the hell do I get this poo poo off anyways?

The chief there will sell a book with the cure recipe, which is sure to be kind of a pain.

You can also spray it with acid from a spray bottle, wait a turn, then spray it again, which should burn it off.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I always assumed you could only wear one face.

Two headed mutation with two two-faced moded hats gives you four face slots

e: too slow

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

rodbeard posted:

That's orc breeding pits level of gross. I don't think I'll be able to play this game any more.

As compared to using the power of your mind to directly and immediately enslave someone's will forever?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Why would you do this

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/1116467930173067264

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/1116468724783964160

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Honestly fungus can be kind of a boon early game. If you're still learning, and it infects a few armor slots, you get pretty tanky. In the long run it will hold you back, but in terms of letting you get a bit further and learn more about the game there is an upside. My first character to make it to Grit Gate and then die horribly in Golgotha got infected early, it made him much more survivable, which in turn helped me make the run to the Stilt, which had acid and let me remove said infection, then buy cool stuff to survive a bit longer.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Faffel posted:

Yeah, that was why I wasn't too concerned. It did the same damage as my normal weapon anyway (til I found a few carbide longswords) and was giving me AV on my forearm slot so whatever. I could have survived that stupid pig if I knew they were so deadly, but I charged it like other ranged enemies I had been fighting. I was doing really well on that char in general. Oh well. I made a new char and did a non-Joppa start and it has been pretty neat.

Building Mutants seems a lot easier in terms of getting a theme and image of your character in mind, but the Truekin seem to have access to some extremely cool stuff. I assume you don't get to modify your cybernetics til you get a ways in and start finding the cybernetic beds or whatever?

You can find becoming nodes pretty early on once you know where to look, they are not limited to later in the game. Some truekin builds are super fun right out of the gate as well. My favorite is a truekin punchman, who takes metal handbones and just punches anything that gets in his way until it's a fine mist. It was even more fun (and probably a bit too powerful, yes) when Slam didn't go on cooldown if you used it on a wall. You could burrow incredibly rapidly through any wall you were capable of destroying with no downside.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I once found a cider weep in the stilt, but as soon as I took some I got run out of town by angry mechanamists, who apparently felt very possessive of it. Apparently that is not always the case?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Whoever brought up the Laundry Files, you have cost me many hours this week.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

The Silver Snail posted:

Just got into Qud a couple days ago, and was feeling mighty tall making my way down to the bottom of rust well on the first try, so I thought I would explore the branching caves for a little bit. Pretty soon found some Dromad merchants who were fighting some deer centaur guys, and when I went to approach my last three turns went like this:
One- a bunch of plants appeared.
Tuhwho- all the plants are on fire.
Three- I get stepped on by a Great Saltback.

What happened? :confused:

Anyways cool game!

Someone used an esper power that summons plants.

Someone used an esper power or a powered weapon that lights things on fire.

You got stepped on by a great saltback.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Is there any way to boost psychic glimmer if you're not a very good psyker? like say if you wanted to get those sweet sweet ego boosts?

AFAIK equipment that boosts an esper ability adds glimmer for as long as the ability is boosted.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

hand of luke posted:

[*]Fungal infections are now immune to heat, cold, electricity, and acid.

Aww

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Go forth, brave Octopus Metalhead, and somehow bumble your way to greatness by wrestling a Chrome Pyramid into submission.

Super unrelated but my current DnD character is a bard who focuses entirely on grappling foes. His goal is to someday wrassle a dragon into submission. And now I want that same experience in Qud.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tempora Mutantur posted:

There is, it's called "rest until healed" or something

That is not a full rest, people are specifically saying they want a separate rest that also waits out CDs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Friendly Bloated Pearlfrogs still try to grab you with their tongue.

Like you said, they’re just friendly.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looks like I'll be going becoming nook hunting then. What's the best place to find them? Ruins, historical sites, and Deathlands I suppose.

The bottom floor of many ruins will have a becoming nook and cybernetics rack.

EDIT: My most recent character has found two ruins in a row, both occupied by the same church faction. Both sets of ruins have also been at least four floors, and 6 of those floors total have been absolutely packed with legendary Chrome Idols. In exchange for cats and one random village not liking me quite so much (and the church probably deciding I am the devil incarnate), I am now friendly with equines, mopango, newly sentient beings, succulents, four villages, and winged mammals, neutral with roots, issachari, insects, goatfolk, and fish. I'm also within a single page of neutral with arachnids, children of mamon, frogs, Putus Templar, trees, trolls, unshelled reptiles, and urchins.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 19, 2020

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

anime tupac posted:

okay, I find myself confused by this game a lot, but this time I'm like /really/ confused, because (and here is a very Qud sentence) I know about two other kinds of cloning but not this kind of cloning.

I'm wandering the underground at level 30 and feeling pretty sure of myself because I keep using sphinx injectors and/or cooking with neutron flux and also making more Drops of Nectar whenever I find a polygel. I also keep using my cloning draughts to make more of a dromad I found who reliably stocked them:

Anyway I'm wandering along with my dumb group, which is me, my Astral Tabby, my legendary sawhander, and my three clones, who named themselves Tiymewer, Iyu-Shur Tayubas, and Kid. Then my clones went to fight something offscreen and when they came back they were accompanied by two of these:

so, a clone of my clone, except with full equipment, named anti-[name], supposedly set to "aggressive," but friendly to me. what is happening

edit: was this Gelatinous Prism hijinks? are they neutral to me instead of hostile because I'm neutral with Highly Entropic Beings? argh

e2: well I teleported back to Joppa and my two anti-clones of my clones have yet to attack anybody or anything, so my best guess is that my stupid clone fought a gelatinous prism offscreen and that just resulted in two free clones????

Copies of you from prisms are supposed to be treated as evil twins, but apparently copies of copies of you are not bound by that same restriction, and some weird combination of all that stuff resulted in them being companions instead of free highly entropic beings (who should have attacked you unless you are friendly to highly entropics)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Can the Putus randomly decide to be everywhere? I just started a new esper, and by the time I hit Grit Gate at level 7 I'd found a squad in the marsh, a squad in the canyons, and another between me and the Barathrumites. It's really kind of been a pain. A lucrative pain, but a pain.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

My latest character has found a set of random ruins just outside Joppa populated entirely by horned lizards and weeps. They are all members of the "Family of the Gleaming Kin of Tortoises". On the surface alone I found two gel weeps, three oil weeps, two wine weeps, an acid weep, and a slime weep. I have all of the money forever.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tempora Mutantur posted:

If you have a geomagnetic disc, and at least a nuclear cell (it drains pretty quick-ish, you could use it with a normal cell if you keep reloading/recharging it so it has enough juice to return) you can just dive the asphalt mines and kill magma crabs since it pierces their armor at range and they don't have a ton of HP (unless that's also changed). Only risk is if the disc runs out of juice midair and falls down, and/or you otherwise fail to catch it/it fails to return, so maybe bring an extra just in case, if you have the bits.

I highly recommend staying away from the asphalt mines unless you fly. Asphalt is a huge pain in the rear end right now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

anime tupac posted:

man these guys have some wildly varying standards

I feel like this is just the Dr. Evil of baetyls

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

And yeah Burgeoning is really good, because it lets you do that exact thing: with a couple of keystrokes, it reduces your own attrition and increase your opponent's. It generally won't kill threatening enemies directly, but it does pile a poo poo-ton of distractions, expendable targets, bleeding, spitting plant potshots, potential entanglement, potential rusting, and other annoyances on your target, and that poo poo adds up really quickly in an all-out bossfight. The sheer number of chaff minions alone makes it useful - just dropping Burgeoning between you and Jotun can often give you a lot more time to gently caress around before he charges you and cuts off your everything.

I haven't tried this myself, mind, but other advice on burgeoning

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Every patch note I see makes it harder and harder to try and stay strong. I don't want to delve deep into Qud again until I can see the it all the way through.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Begemot posted:

Oh my god, dystechnia sounds amazing :allears:

"It's a bunch of tubes, but I can't quite figure out what it's supposed to be used for."

"It's a chair."

"Huh?"

"A chair, you sit on it."

"What??"

"You open it up and sit on it, like this."

"Please, Argyve, in English."

eke out posted:

"Okay let me look at this thing"

[the chair explodes as I attempt examine it]

Argyve: I declare you my apprentice! Take all this extremely sensitive technology to a place with even more sophisticated technology!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Ok you win I'll play again. With all these mutation changes I'll be too busy screwing around as a chimera and dying to ever reach the current end of the game and get cliffhangered.

First up: Winged Regenerator Chimera. I'm just going to fly around and see what there is to see.

edit: First thing, accepted the quest from Mehmet, then performed a water ritual. Apparently the Girsh greatly admire him...

Mithross fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2020

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I was all excited to see the mut changes and then realized I'd aready seen them because I'm on beta branch :I

I considered hopping on beta branch to try them out but decided those were the sorts of changes I'd rather play once they were all done and finalized, not bit by bit.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Man, beguiling that snapjaw shotgunner right under Joppa was a good way to avoid getting killed by that snapjaw shotgunner in that exact moment, but it turns out snapjaw shotgunners don't necessarily have the best aim.

They have pretty decent aim! Shotguns are just sort of... indiscriminate. And beguiled or not, snapjaws don’t understand the term “collateral damage”

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

your advice is well-timed because I just died lol

I died specifically to someone loving with my brain at ten to fifteen damage a turn. My first instinct, honed from Crawl, was that this was smite-targeted and blocked by line of sight and I tried to duck behind cover but the enemy stayed visible even through a wall and I kept taking damage. I guess I should have rushed it down?

Once they lock on you have ten turns to kill them, hit then with a mental effect (like a flash bang grenade), or leave the screen. The tenth tick of that attack hits for as much as all the other ticks combined... assuming you survive the damage until then.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Meridian posted:

I'm trying this out and it's going well. Could you elaborate on why you went with Triple-Jointed?

Almost certainly for the agility. With the vibrokopesh you aren't going to need penetration but you still need to actually hit the target.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I want to go all in on Bully. Make them taunt you in infantile language. Make them "why are you hitting yourself?". Have them stun you by "rearranging your nethergarments".

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Doesn't Jotun have Decapitate?

Also yeah Regeneration's passive ailment curing is loving amazing.

AFAIK he only has dismember, which is bad enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks for the tips, also I found that since I don't care about my weapon, I can get 3 DV from Long Sword defensive stance. But my sword keeps getting rusted. Will the "Lacquered" mod reliably keep them from getting destroyed, or is there a better strategy to making sure I always have one working?

Lacquered would protect your weapons, but also only one (I think) early to mid game enemy can rust weapons, the qudzu. Qudzu's are completely immobile so either use a ranged attack or just don't get close to them if you are worried about rust. The next one I know for sure is the brown jell, who only shows up in a particular place in the main story later.