Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Found 3 scribes in a legendary snapjaw's lair. Of course fighting a snapjaw scavenger was a good reason of one of them to throw an acid gas grenade and then walk into it, killing himself, nearly a second scribe, and destroying all his gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Auto explore loots the first bookshelf on a tile, but not any others.

(Bookshelves could really be combined when multiple are generated on a tile, imo)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Plants never ripen, do they? They just spawn ripe or not?

Edit: burgeoning is a hilarious ability because your own plants will step on an aloe pyra and set you and your angry garden on fire

Oh yeah, and is there an indicator for which section of a parasang you are in? That would make navigating some stuff a lot easier.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 12, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
If zones keep failing to build (most ruins and BS), is the game just lost or is there anything to do about it?

rebuild doesn't fix any of the zones that fail to build.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Can you e-mail the primary.sav while sitting in a zone that's failing to build to support@freeholdgames.com?

Sure, when I get a chance tomorrow.

Never had a zone fail to build before this character. Wonder if it has to do with the immense scumming of merchants/proselytize somehow.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

Nevermind we found it, hotfix going up.

Excellent, thanks!

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm a village that is founded on the principle of everyone carrying 1-3 2c cybernetics chips?

Yes please I will take 35x2 credits.

I like the compute power mechanic. Maybe more could be done with that.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

what did you do to the village dan

Berate and proselytize

Now I feel like a filthy pickup artist though

Edit: btw is Bey Lah supposed to have hostiles spawning in it? I never got them previously, but the past few games I've had to rush to prevent the villagers from being slaughtered. Poor angohind, boy detective

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 1, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Alright I am now a newly sentient being! This game is great and the devs are awesome.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I was actually just thinking about that as well. I was going to use portable walls to make my own structures but all of the other miscellany would be nice to be able to buy or build.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Well shucks. I was carrying those freeze mk 3 grenades for a reason. Which I forgot and preventably died.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Fortunately years of roguelikes have trained me to accept untimely death with dignity and grace

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Crimson Harvest posted:

Changing phase doesn't break Sunder? Because I can't think of any other reason to own phase gas grenades but this might be a good one.

I am pretty sure phase doesn't affect it.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Eight arms, 2 heads, giant hands, 2 normal front legs and motorized treads behind (I didn't want them except now I'm a cyborg centaur that can do wheelies).

300 move speed

Oh and wings.

Aww yeah

I love this game.

(Is all this necessary? Not at all but also very much yes)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
All the physical mutations are from a gamma moth, plus some mental from brain brine. I got pretty lucky there, I think 3 mutations before I got a defect and stopped - using sphynx salt so I could avoid the defect. I may try a few more because the defect is socially repugnant, and I'm not even sure that has an effect if gained in game, and the rep penalty is not relevant at this point.

Sprint speed with bounding boots is 853, 873 with adrenal control on, and quickness 217 with inflatable axons :catstare:

That is before leveling multiple legs as well. I wanna push it past 1k

I may put the second treads on at some point though.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Turns out with wings and multiple legs both at level 10 and two motorized treads, sprint will go up to 2000 (non sprinting, around 640 I think). I wonder if that's a cap. I used precog to test that, not sure I want both and sprint is already well over 1k, normal 400+ anyway.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

How are you getting so many mutation points with implants? Locking a truekin into a room with a mutation moth and precog cheese?

I just dragged a moth to an unoccupied desert tile with proselytize, then anger it when I want to mutate, and then tame and dismiss it when I'm done.

At first I used 2 sphynx salt to get infinite recursive visions of the future, but I tried out sphynx salt + precog and that also works.

I got pretty high level from collecting 7&8 bits from chrome pyramids and leering stalkers first.

It's all completely unnecessary at the point I'm at of course. I just want to see how far I can take this ridiculousness.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

You need more faces so you can wear more sultan masks

Wait is that possible? I know polygel doesn't work. I do need more things for the 4 face slots I have. After the mask and VISAGE there's nothing useful to me

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Lol there goes the super cheesy infinite sphynx salt I think. No more Dr strange style reading all possible futures.

I assumed that the save state of the second sphynx salt included the previously active one - so you would always load to the same point with it active.

Edit:
"Akimbo and Decapitate are now toggleable."

That is excellent as well.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be better if merchants' personal inventories were separate from their store inventory, so that proselytizing them wouldn't give you everything for free.

But then again I think the economy will always be a formality once characters are at that point, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be neat if ambidexterity would let you change primary hands in combat.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I have access but I'm going to wait a bit before diving back in so I don't burn out on it before this new content is finished.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
And here I thought the endgame was just dying in a new and memorable fashion.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I should post a screenshot of my mutated true kin.

4 legs - 2 sets of treads

2 back slots

4 arms - up to 8 with helping hands x2.

2 heads

Just wanted to see how absurd I could make it.

Gave up the giant hands /4x phase cannon idea because it was such absurd overkill

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Gutsmonger is the most Qud thing.

Do I hold out for a non-beta release? Probably not

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It always felt sleazy going through villages and disassembling a dozen 6/7 bit (maybe even 8?) pieces.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

So what is considered a parasang for the random quests? I thought it went purely by world map squares, but I just had a quest to find something 1-4 parasangs south of a landmark end up being 5 squares south of it on the world map.

I actually just noticed this as well. I ended up doubling back to the reference point twice, exploring every tile before I tried going past the supposed max, and there it was.

Maybe there's a logical reason for it (maybe counting 3 grids/parasang, and not limiting to the world map grid, if that makes sense).

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Btw I hate the x parasangs in (direction) quests. Especially when it's something quasi common like a forgotten ruin or a gel weep or something.

They are obnoxious when they are in cliff areas, and sometimes it can take a long time to find a way into a specific grid section.

It's not hard, it's not interesting, it just takes time.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Proselytize marks the phase of the game where currency and barter are irrelevant. If you need something, you can just get it (or everything).

Speaking of exploits, I think the librarian should only accept a certain number of non-yellow books. Or stop giving XP after a certain point. I just give one of each yellow to fill out his library. I was hoping that was a thing, maybe an achievement, but alas.

The easiest way to trivialize the game is proselytize + a book vendor.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

That's a very wholesome interpretation of "I posted casually about my exploit I thought everyone knew about and the dev nuked it within the day"

edit: My apologies, I seem to have you confused with someone else. Something about Sphynx salt injectors and unlimited precog.

Not sure what the problem is with finding and messing around with loopholes, exploits, and unintended functionality in a pre-release single player game?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

i think it's kind of funny and okay to tease someone about openly talking about an exploit in a thread the dev follows and then it winds up being patched as a result, that just wasn't this case haha

That was me but it's not like I was trying to hide it, just having fun testing the limits of the game.

He fixed a map generation problem I asked about in about 6 hours iirc.

Edit ok maybe there was someone else before I started reading this thread?

Edit: not to continue this but Jesus Christ this was also not me just for absolute clarity :eek:

quote:

IIRC that was also someone who loved to talk about making friends with the Putus Templar and killing "muties", so maybe not the best example of humanity

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 14, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

Yea guys sorry my post was supposed to be light-hearted ribbing, mea culpa if it came off wrong.

It's actually really good to discuss loopholes, exploits, and balance/build concerns here (and where else would you?) as it's really visible and Unormal and co have shown some really creative and subtle adjustments in fixing things rather than just hitting stuff with a nerf mallet. Like I imagine someone years from now looking at the mechanics of eater's injectors rerolling your next mutation draw and thinking "What an oddly specific thing?" never knowing the horrors of stupid OP EA stuff.

No problem, I was a bit thin skinned.

I imagine it's pretty difficult balancing a game with effects like that and will inevitably end up a patchwork. Not that I think balance as such is the main goal, probably more about preventing unfun mechanics from being optimal, i.e. any sort of scumming.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Gun merchants carry shotguns which can be disassembled for 3 bits

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Auto explore is a real sanity saver for anywhere with a lot of containers you want to check, or just winding paths in not very dangerous terrain that you want to explore.

I didn't use it for a long time but it's actually amazing.

Edit: I don't think this is spoilery, mostly a tactical note about use of auto explore, but just in case

it is very important to stop using it as soon as you hear a turret chirp. it will stop on its own when it hears, but you won't get a second warning from the same turret and it's very easy to get shredded if you resume auto explore

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 1, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Ahh but with care, appropriate firepower, (and the butchery skill) you can get so many more cybernetics than you will usually find at a nook, plus credit wedges (although of course you can trade for those of they're more than you can handle).

And no slimy feeling!

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh yeah, that's true! Is there a way to see what implants someone has before killing them? It seems like something a VISAGE or something like that might do.

I have not tried to look, aside from the obvious things like seeing one of them sprint way ahead of the rest of the pack because it is on treads. Probably?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah true kin need to have grenades handy, especially freeze.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Mithross posted:

Today I met a Madpole Mechanimist convert, sitting in a single tile of water in the middle of the stilt.

He appeared as neutral, but I still didn't go near him... there's a lot of fractus around.

I always feel guilty finding those fish in little freshwater pools in the flower areas.

The first time I auto harvested their entire habitat was an accident.

I don't really need or necessarily even want to carry that water. But it's there so I take it.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It would be nice to have tabs in the log so combat can be separated from things like item notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Electrobow is probably my favorite weapon to find early on. It has great utility through early/mid game and solar cells are easily enough.

Edit: especially for clearing tumbling pods