Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You can buy ~200 vinewafers from Mehmet. And another 100 from the warden whose name I can never remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unormal posted:

(psst 21 more reviews and I'll never ask again)

I've played this game for 91 hours and just realized I never reviewed it.

That has now been fixed!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The other day I found a historical site that had Kyakukyan villagers as one of its enemy types. Including human children.

I ended up collecting more fresh water than I could carry, and hundreds of plump mushrooms.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, why do you get the Traveled to Red Rock quest complete by simply going below Joppa, if that's merely a tunnel to RR? Bugged, or intentional?

I assume it's because that step of the quest usually only triggers when you reach the entrance to Red Rock. If you use the tunnel you can get to the next part of the quest (seeing a Girshling on the bottom level) without finishing that one. So it just gives you the xp early to keep things in order.

It would make more sense if it triggered when you go to the other end of the tunnel, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Since I realized butchery only takes a single levels worth of skill points, I haven't come close to starving.

Light is a much more annoying mechanic. But learning just now that you can put a glowsphere in the thrown slot changes that :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I really wish there was a visual distinction between stairs down and holes, I keep accidentally falling in them at historical sites. Which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't end up stuck in a wall half the time!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

poemdexter posted:

I ran into some merchants underground on the way to redrock from home and they were standing around some swirling portal thing. There was also metametal weapons on the ground (no short blades :gonk:) which sold for ~2k each. I walked through the portal to see what would happen and was teleported to level 13 underground where a merchant guard was fighting lava crabs or something. I took two steps and got instagibbed. Good thing I save scummed to see what the portal was about because those merchants did have crysteel daggers and some nice other things. This is the furthest I've gone in a game. I'm level 16 and terrified of what or where to go next because I've never been to Golgotha and it scares the crap out of me after what the thread has said. I'm kinda just exploring ruins at the moment but nothing is really challenging me since I'm at 24 DV with daggers that destroy everything. Suggestions?

Golgotha will be no problem. Just book it down the conveyor belts and you'll be fine. The only scary thing is possibly catching a disease, make sure you buy the Corpus Choliy from the mayor of Kyakukya before heading down.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Post poste posted:

Apparently yes. I've had Chrome Pyramid and Leering Stalker converts.
Needless to say, I couldn't thorn them to death for free loot.

The mechanimists accept everyone.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I had a good run going with a two-headed arconaut (so I could wear two hats and veils!) and decided to try the Indrix quest before heading into Bethesda Susa. I followed the river for a while but it kept forking. I did find the crazy water merchant and a burning goatfolk village full of flayed corpses, so I know I was on the right track for a while, but I must have made a wrong turn because I never found Mamon. I did find another goatfolk unique who dropped a fullerite dagger, which was nice.

After going back to Kyakukya to try again, Yurl was mad at me for some reason. I checked my standing with plants, vines, the Consortium of Phyta and the village, but they were all fine. I did manage to kill him but it's annoying to lose a merchant.

Rejoinder is still ridiculously powerful. I killed a slumberling by running into it twice. Of course I eventually died by getting too cavalier around a pack of goatfolk and got shot to death by a yurtwarden. This was after killing every slumberling I came across and dodging all the shots of a laser turret to run up and stab it.

Carelessness is truly the most deadly foe.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That sure is, uh, a piece of loot.

Is it always a baboon or does it choose a creature at random?

I got one that made girshlings, but I died before I could get much use out of it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Did young ivories get buffed in the last update? Or have I just had a run of horrible luck? My last 5 characters have all died from stepping on one and taking 8-10 damage, I feel like they didn't do that much before. Just now I hit auto-explore and then instantly died.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Post poste posted:

They've always done 1d10 damage.

Huh, guess I've just been unlucky then.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Walked to a historical site on the world map, go in and I'm stuck between two statues. It's a good thing those fences are easy to break.

e:

Well this place is just silly.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I don't have any cells so any plan that involves porting out is closed off to me for now. Sounds like I should reinvestigate Joppa and head out to the Stilt

There's an elevator on the bottom floor that will take you right back to the top. It's not necessary, just more convenient.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well that seems a bit mean for the bottom level of Red Rock, but at least they die easily eno-

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Can you throw lava at your enemies?

I don't think you can weaponize any liquid, no. If you throw a canteen or glass bottle, it doesn't splash it just bonks them and lands on the ground.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Raitzeno posted:

Every drat time I fall down a hole in a Sultan ruin, I end up completely walled in. How do I get outta here?

You can always use ctrl + movement to attack walls. Shale is killable with enough patience even for a short blade wielder, so aim for that if you can.

It's fun to imagine this tough post-apocalyptic mutant warrior falling in a pit and instead of climbing out they have to just stab the wall over and over for days on end :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This is good to know. I normally just hit the overworld and book it straight to redrock but I'll take the scenic route next time.

It's great for leveling too, I usually end up at around 10 by the time I get back to town. You sometimes run into crowds of crabs and knollworms, but it seems like they lose track of you pretty easily if you leave the screen so it's easy to retreat and rest up. Or you can just lead them into albino apes and get some help thinning the herd.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I found a Grit Gate recoiler in the flooded tunnel and got all excited because it's a nice shortcut. But then I used it before actually getting the quest to go there from Argyve. Though I did at least finish the watervine quest first so I could get in and buy some some stuff.

But now I have to fight my way out without the waydroids helping at a lower level than usual. And oh god that albino ape attacked a slumberling!

But that's fine because rejoinder is still insanely powerful and only balanced by its cost.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The perils of dodge tanking.

How do wristblades work? I found a folded carbide wristblade in this run and I had dual wielding and jab, but I only noticed it doing damage when I used flurry.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So I'm heading to red rock with a shot blades & freezing hands character, after being lucky enough to buy a steel short sword. I run into some mushrooms, no big deal, there's a gel weep which will certainly make curing fungal infections easier.

But then there's a fungus area with a bunch of two-headed boars and chitinous pumas. I run back to town, and luckily Ualraig apparently hates pigs and kills the boars but is content to watch me run around Joppa like a chicken with its head cut off from the pumas for a whole day while I slowly whittle them down.

e: Holy poo poo there's a slaughtered Dromad merchant caravan here, I got a flexivest and two fullerite long swords.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Johnny Joestar posted:

all these revamped skill trees kind of make me wish i had any modding skills in the slightest because i would love to add a 'fungal symbiosis' tree that only shows up if you get infected with fungus, and instead of having stat requirements the things you can purchase require you to have a certain amount of body parts all fungus'd up. unlocking the tree would maybe give you some mild passive bonus, but possibly the first thing you can purchase lets you turn off the involuntary puffs of spores around you so you can actually aim and choose when you want to spray out clouds of the stuff. have later tiers of the tree require more fungus on you with eventual stuff like 'you're immune to all disease due to the spores coursing through you actively destroying them'. i guess the eventual endpoint would be roughly 3/4ths of your slots covered in fungus.

probably just a pipe dream, but there's a lot of times where i wish i was able to mod stuff.

I would love the ability to become a weird fungus monster like from The Last of Us as an alternative to mutations as a true kin. It could even work differently depending on if you get fickle gill or glowcrust, with the latter eventually giving you a version of light manipulation.

It does seem like monsters already have a "blow spores" ability that shoots a cone, rather than a square like you get with fickle gill. At least gaining that ability as an active would be nice.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 28, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like an out-of-depth monster as much as the next guy but this is a little ridiculous.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Angry Diplomat posted:

That looks like a mixed flock of Dawngliders and Glowcrows to me (afaik the two always spawn together when either creature type is chosen for an elite). If it's led by an elite Glowcrow and you're neutral/friendly with birds, they should leave you alone (examine them first to make sure they're neutral to you), but if the elite is a Dawnglider they might be hostile depending on your unshelled reptile relationship.

I checked and they were all hostile, must have been an elite dawnglider around the corner.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

genericnick posted:

Trip report: Espers are great. Shafts are murder. My best run ended when I dropped down one and ended up boxed in by shale walls. I starved before I could dig myself out.
Looking at the skills I should get pistols and short blades to help me out before I have skills to burn? SB gives to hit for only 50 points and basic pistols boost effective agility by 4. The equivalent skill for longblades is costs total 300.
And how do you find the ancient miner? I auto picked the negative weight globe but can't find the place. Is it directly below Joppa?

The miner can appear anywhere in the flooded tunnel, which runs between the bottom level of Red Rock and the cave below Joppa. It appears as just a regular corpse so it's hard to find afterwards, since it looks like any other dead monster.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So I started a new character and on my way to Red Rock I run into this screen. Seeing a bunch of musket turrets out in the open isn't weird for ruins, but the crazy thing is that I immediately gained 3 levels as soon as I stepped in. I guess the turrets killed some other monsters and I got credit for it?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So last patch there was a relatively innocent change in the notes:

But let me translate this for you:

Your fists count as cudgels. You can Slam people through walls, with your fists.

Unfortunately, apocryphal reports of Flaming / Freezing hands causing temperature changes in enemies on melee hit appear to be untrue, and Burrowing Claws similarly do not increase fist damage. (In fact, as far as I can tell, nothing does. They have no upper limit on penetration bonuses, as normal for natural weapons, but 1d2-1 damage is pretty pitiful even on 8x hits.)

We're not there yet, but Mutant Moleman Kenshiro just got came one step closer to reality.

What do horns/antlers count as? Axes?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're random artifacts that create any creature in the game. I've only ever seen baboons and zealots. :(

One time I got a girshling, that was kind of useful.

Another it was a glowpad. It couldn't move.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Harvestry is a misunderstood skill. It's not about providing food; that would be redundant with Butchery anyways. The point of Harvestry is that it gets you Dreadroot Tubers, which are an ingredient in Salve Injectors, which keep you alive.

e: Also Luminous Hoarshrooms which are basically Salve Injectors that don't take up a tonic slot and don't periodically fail on mutants. Plus Yondercanes if you're a True Man and want Masterful Harvestry so you can get access to "jfc get me out of this situation" teleportation.

If you take the time the ctrl-attack dreadroots, you get plenty of tubers.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The droprate for ctrl-attacking them is pretty miserable, it's like 1 in 10.

Yeah but there are TONS of dreadroots all over the place underground. I always end up with a nice stack of tubers just from the Red Rock quest.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

So I was going though the flooded tunnel back to Joppa, and suddenly all the snapjaws were neutral and didn't attack me. My reputation was still bad with them, it said only docile ones wouldn't attack me, it was just that all the ones that spawned weren't aggressive. Other monsters weren't effected, though, and it was nice having some help fighting the crabs.

Then on my way climbing back up under Joppa, all the bats turn hostile. Every bat I run across is aggressive towards me. Not a problem, but again my reputation with them is fine, they're just spawning in hostile.

And then, when I get back to town, everyone is hostile. My rep with Joppa and wardens are both still at 0, but Argyve and Ualraig are gunning for me.

What the hell happened? :psyduck:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regen really needs numbers. I used to take it on every character before I started reading this thread.

Just "regenerate health faster" sounds too good on paper. It's only knowing how low it is that made me stop taking it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xand_Man posted:

Can I still cure my Ironshank after my legs fuse up? I got stuck in the Asphalt Mines grabbing oil for my cure; I teleported back to my stash in Joppa and whipped up a batch of the stuff but I'm still not moving.

The movement speed loss is permanent.

Don't get ironshank!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

IronicDongz posted:

I've never gotten ironshank, what gives it to you

Pretty sure the only way to get it is from Slog of the Cloaca, who spawns on the bottom level of Golgotha. So if you see it, just run.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

D'oh, I was thinking of glotrot. Which is actually far less ruinous to a character even if it takes some effort to cure.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SpaceClown posted:

weird bug:

made the mistake of trying to visit the eater's tomb at level ~20, the surrounding area is just void

That just happens sometimes. One time it happened for me on the second level of the rust wells. Another time I literally got an error after starting the game and Joppa was an empty void. It doesn't have anything to do with exploring dangerous places.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I got lost in the desert and blundered into two sultan ruins on my way to the stilt. One happened to have negative rep with the mechanimists, so by the time I got there:

Almost enough to recruit him, just from the water ritual.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mystery Prize posted:

I don't know how new items like this are, but this is pretty neat!

They've been in for a while. One time I found one that produced a loyal glowpod.

Not super useful!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone tell me the guaranteed becoming nooks, spoilered if appropriate? I went where I thought I'd find one but just found a statue, a credit in a chest and a bunch of slime but no machine.

I found one at the bottom of the Rusted Arch, and in the Grit Gate in the interior area you get into after coming back from Golgotha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

One of my sets of carbide hand bones started engraved. Which is rad, BUT it sucks that there's no way to actually examine it. If I tab over to the cybernetics menu, that isn't engraved, it's only the one in the equipment slot.