Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ran into a funny little bug yesterday. Started up a new character, took a few steps forward. Warden What's-His-Name takes a few steps forward and murders Mehmet the farmer (and quest-giver) with one Freezing Hands blast, then returns to his post. I guess Mehmet, being unique, has a chance to start with "Wardens hate him because X."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought it was absolutely hilarious. It's not like I lost a significant amount of time or dedication.

e: My only regret is that I didn't get to find out what insane thing he did to piss off the Wardens. Probably made them spoiled soup or didn't let them into a library.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 14, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I noticed that the Watervine Farmer doesn't actually start with Skillful Harvestry, despite what the class select says. How am I going to teach those drat plants a lesson in complacency now?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I noticed that the sandstone walls surrounding the wells in Kyakuya don't seem to actually prevent anyone, PC or NPC, from just walking right over them and into the well. I appreciate getting a few hundred drams of fresh water for free, but I don't think that's intentional.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Stumbled across this in a chest while wandering around Underground after I accidentally took a one-way staircase.

Pity it's nothing special, I like the mental image of wielding a seed-spitting vine.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It'd be real nice if there was a way to mark items as do-not-autoeat so you don't have turn it off whenever you find something like yuckwheat or urberries.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
So what, if anything, is unimplemented about Confusion? I'd been avoiding it since, hey, who wants to play with unfinished content, but I got it from Unstable Genome and it seems pretty functional. Renders a whole crowd of anything with a brain near-helpless.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 10, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
See you can tell clock guy was clearly able to control time, since he was 40 in 846 even though he was born in 799.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Fungal Red Rock can be nasty, especially if you're trying to do it ASAP. Even if you can get through to the bottom, the armor bonus the girshlings receive from all the symbiotes makes them much more threatening to low-level characters.

I noticed that autoexplore often seems to malfunction around turrets that are hidden around corners or behind doors, making you take another step after one comes into view (and getting you shot in the process, possibly by a roomful of chainguns). I suspect that it doesn't always acknowledge them as a threat until they start shooting.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Biomes don't always stretch down through every Z-level of a location. I'm sure you've seen single floors of Tarry/Slimy/Rusty/Fungal, etc. It's all in the luck of the draw, basically.

As annoying as I normally find effects that eat equipment slots, I have to admit, facial Glowcrust is actually pretty handy, since there aren't a lot of better face items. Especially nice to have when you get to Bethesda Susa.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I think it's very thematically appropriate for my goony ex-basement dweller with expensive weapons he bought on eBay True Man to draw strength and sustenance from the horrifying fungus growing on his face and neck.

e: I just ran into another Elder Irudad hanging out with some dromads and a spatial vortex out in the wilderness (I think he's the third I've seen in this game?) and he had some insanely rare stuff: a phase cannon, a timecube, an antimatter cell, and a pair of metametal short swords just laying on the ground next to him. Thanks buddy!

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 1, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The disease-delaying effect of honey, yuckwheat, etc. is pretty inconsistent to the point that I'm not sure if it works or if it's just a placebo. At this point, I personally just refuse to enter Golgotha or Fungal areas until I've already gathered all the cure ingredients at my stash. Apart from maybe glotrot and lucky occasions when Glowcrust takes over a slot you don't really need, like an arm or face, every other disease effect has the potential to be so profoundly crippling that it isn't worth the risk of trying to gather ingredients after the fact.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I think Cleave actually applies a brief debuff to the armor of whatever it hits. And I'm almost certain that debuff stacks. I know that Cudgels can be good for strength characters, but I've always found Axes vastly better just for Cleave's sake. You can cut down Cragsmensch like trees.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Welp, tried the daily (or maybe it was weekly), saw that one of the ttaits/defects was spontaneous combustion, and then combusted spontaneously, far away from any water source, and was summarily killed by a flaming <myself>

:allears:

Where's the best place to find books?

You can pat yourself out with a few taps of 5 (or whatever your "pass one turn" binding is). It's about equal to Amphibious on the list of relatively harmless negative mutations once you realize that.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Lately I've been fooling around with Wardens and Praetorians, and I feel like a lot of the Long Blade skills and stances don't work, or at least they don't work as described. In particular I feel like Swipe doesn't do anything at all, even when it says it's gone off. I have seen Parry & Riposte work exactly once, and I've never seen it go off during Willow Stance where you're supposed to use it on every single incoming attack. I don't even think Intercept gives messages if it actually works at all (but then again a .5% chance at an attack that I assume might not even hit or do damage is so laughably tiny that it might just be getting eaten by the message log), and Lunge doesn't seem to give a noticeable increase to penetrating hits or damage. The massive shared cooldown on the stances should probably be reduced to 75 turns or less, especially since using most of them penalizes you in other ways. And I can't imagine paying 400 apiece to triple the effective length of one or two of the stances is worth the cost, because they just don't do much to begin with.

It's a shame, because I love the idea of a flexible weapon tree that rewards you for having a character that pours points equally into Strength and Agility, but I feel like it's the odd one out. All the other trees are just as effective if not moreso, and by aiming for them instead you'll save a few attribute points for spending on other stuff. Not to mention that the SP cost is honestly prohibitive for a non-True Man, and if you aren't going to pick up most of the abilities, it just doesn't compare to the other ones at all. You can still kill stuff with Long Blades, of course, their damage is good, but they're very underwhelming skill-wise right now.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
They are sort of good, if you have a good enough cudgel. I don't really understand how damage, penetration, and armor interact. I know that rolling well on penetration multiplies your damage, but I don't know if penetration actually checks against armor or if armor is just a flat reduction to damage, or what's going on under the hood. My gut reaction to seeing a weapon with high pen-low damage is that it should be good at consistently hitting against armored targets and less efficient against unarmored, squishy targets. In practice, it seems like they utterly splat things that wouldn't be much of a threat to you anyway, landing massive hits on snapjaws and the like, but they just barely get through on high armor targets like eyeless crabs. I haven't really paid very close attention, but I feel like the way damage interacts with multiple penetrations means it works backwards to what you might assume, so that you're better off using higher damage dice against armored enemies and higher pen against squishy ones.

I got a two-handed steel hammer on my current cudgels guy which has actually been outperforming my expectations significantly. I figured it would be roughly equivalent overall to a one-handed carbide or maybe folded carbide weapon, but I feel like it's been much more consistently deadly against everything, which only further confuses me.

e: Wait, actually, is it rolling damage first, and then penetration rolls are basically just a roll to see if you get a multiplier? Because that would make more sense with what I'm seeing, but that's some really deceptive wording there.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 17, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

most of the time, two penetration levels above the target's AV will grant an extra multiplier, four for two, etc etc

non-explosive/non-status effect ranged weapons nigh-universally have low penetration values and are part of the reason why they suck

You sure about that? Because in my experience, a lot of very nasty enemies can be effortlessly mowed down with the scoped masterwork carbine. The low pen is definitely why pistols and chainguns aren't great, but rifles are pretty deadly.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It had a phase cannon. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen or heard of ridiculous endgame gear spawning randomly in the flower fields.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Funny thing is, I believe Twinning Lampreys actually count as birds, so you can actually end up with them on your side if you share water with a Unique Glowcrow or two. Definitely makes Bethesda Susa easier when you have critters on your side that nothing down there can actually kill.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Faces are surprisingly heavy, I generally keep the collection in my Grit Gate stash.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Congratulations, you've wandered into this.

But yeah, the historical sites aren't always... fair. First one I went into was about 75% chaingun turrets. That's Qud!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

What's a fun True Man build? I'm trying to break myself out of my Freezing Hands crutch playstyle.

Don't listen the haters, True Men can do some neat stuff. You just have to play slow and careful. Those higher characteristics can pay off immensely in the long run.

The Eunuch in particular can be very effective as a short blades + pistols tinker build. They start with Shank, the undisputed King of Weapon Skills, and will have more than enough skill points to fill out the short blades tree. Hobble in particular is great for escaping or ruining a dodgy enemy's day.

Syzygyrior has a rough start because they don't have actual weapon skills, but you can either be a short blades blender or if you want to use other weapons, you can dump a little agility for strength and let their +3 bonus carry their to-hit and dodge up to an acceptable level.

I've also had good luck with a Child of the Wheel. Axe and dagger together actually sync up pretty well, and Iron Mind will make it safer to scarf down Witchwood Bark.

True Men can be a little rough early on, they're more dependent on ruins-diving to find good artifacts to supplement their power, and they'll never get up to the sheer insanity of certain mutant builds, but I've taken a Eunuch all the way to the end of the current existing quests, so I know it can be done.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 30, 2016

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Unormal posted:

• Removed the extraneous 'Use Mutation' keybind.

I actually kinda liked it on M, so I figured I'd just rebind it, but it's apparently impossible to use M as an alternate keybind, for anything. It just drops back out of the menu unceremoniously without changing anything.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I don't know if autoexplore ever acknowledged turrets until after they open fire. At least, I don't think it ever did after the mercy chirp was implemented. My guess is that turrets don't count as hostile until the round after they see you, so autoexplore doesn't see them as enemies until they attack.

Speaking of bugs though, that's some drat fast service on the keybind hotfix, thanks!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, how do you all get so far in this game?
I can't speak for anyone else's methods, but I generally make it pretty far, and my typical start is:

• Rob all the chests in Joppa. Buy all the vinewafers unless you're Amphibious. Buy all of the Dromad's ammo. Equip your light source to the thrown items slot, which is a bug(?) I hope never ever gets fixed because it makes the game so much less miserable.

• Get the quests from the Zealot, Mehmet and Argyve. If you found non-valuable artifacts in town or on the trader, hand 'em over to Argyve.

• Fast travel to Red Rock.

• Get a bow off a snapjaw if you didn't buy one off the Dromad or start with one. Anything even vaguely threatening should get pincushioned on the way over to you. Boomrose arrows are a great panic button against anything you can't reasonably defeat otherwise.

• Rest to full after every fight, there's a hotkey for it.

• It's Roguelike 101, but it bears repeating: lure everything into a corridor and fight them one at a time unless you know for a fact they can't threaten you. Snapjaws have Swarmer, so letting them surround you is A Bad Idea.

• Grab every iron or better item. Yes, iron isn't super valuable for its weight, but unless you're a shrimpy little esper or something, you have a lot of spare carry capacity early on. Every point of it you don't use before you go back to town and sell is wasted. If you fill up, drop stuff as you need to pick up more valuable stuff.

• Look at everything unfamiliar, because if the game says it's an "Average" threat, that means that at the very least it has a good shot at kicking your rear end.

• Sprint or just walk away if you aren't winning the damage race with something. Never let enemies get between you and the stairs if you can avoid it. A swarm can be turned into a stream of single enemies just by going upstairs.

• When you get to the bottom of Red Rock and get your girshling corpse, take the underground tunnels back to Joppa. If you make it back to Joppa, you'll have leveled up several times and you'll also find a lot of very nice stuff, including (probably) a Sphere of Negative Weight.

• If you struggle to get through the underground tunnels, go back to Joppa and turn in the girshling to get some injectors. Don't hesitate to use them, every injector you don't use will go to waste on your corpse. Mutants have a failure rate on injectors, so don't wait until you have 2 health to use a salve injector unless you like getting screwed by the RNG.

• If you kite an enemy to the very edge of a screen transition and cross into the other zone, you can attack that enemy across the transition without getting attacked back. Their AI will try to avoid moving next to a screen transition for this reason, but it's not very hard to do if you're fighting a group or exploit the terrain.

• Sell everything in town, buy anything good off the Dromad, then go do the Rust Wells and/or the historical site. After all that, you should be more than good to head off to Grit Gate. Make sure you buy the 1000+ lead slugs and a recoiler off the trader there.

From there you're basically past what I'd call the "early game." I usually head down to Kyakuya to get Corpus Choliys, then recoil to Grit Gate and head to the Six Day Stilt for disease cure ingredients and schematics. Once I'm set for glotrot and ironshank and I feel tough enough, I do Gologotha. If you get one of the really bad chutes (chute crabs, electricity), you should get off that conveyor ASAP and get onto another one. Fire and acid are much more manageable. Oh, and it's worth bringing as many HE or thermal grenades as you can hoard to Golgotha. You can use them to blast yourself a path through the sludge to minimize the number of times a sewage eel can grab you.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 3, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oh, those filters, yeah, all of those are utterly horrible. What's the use of night vision that makes it harder to read the screen?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Long blade stuff isn't working right AFAIK, I brought it up and one of the devs said they'd get definitely revamped in a future update. The passives in the Axe and Cudgel tree do become noticeable once you get enough of them. Cleave in particular goes off a lot for Axes (and is arguably the best thing about Axes, since I believe it inflicts a stacking armor penalty, which means more penetrating hits on tough enemies).

Cudgels can land a lot of hits that all have a chance to proc passives once you get Barrage, and the guaranteed stun/daze proc on a charge is very nasty if you combine it with shield bash (especially a spiked shield) and horns. Of course, anything is nasty if you're charging with a shield and horns. You definitely need Barrage before Cudgels become worth it IMO.

In general the passives go off enough that I do feel like they help, especially against enemies that aren't just dungeon chaff.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, in no way is it necessary or even a good idea to try to fill out the Bows/Rifles tree right now. Take the first skill, maybe surpressing fire, and forget it. The other abilities are cute but they cost too much and are too hard to use, hopefully they'll get another pass around the same time Long Blades do.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I don't think there's any kind of penalty for eating/drinking until the game warns you you're about to vomit, so I typically just hold the "a" button on the Vinewafers until that popup, just to prevent the message spam from eating them automatically. Of course, holding "a" doesn't work on the overlay, which is a shame.

Speaking of which, this was driving me crazy last time I played: Luminous Hoarshrooms' menu says you can eat them with "e" but that's also the equip command, so you just end up wielding it unless you manually navigate down the menu and eat them. I kept equipping Luminous Hoarshrooms and beating on things in Bethesda Susa wondering why my damage output had suddenly dropped and I was still so cold.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It depends on the faction. Dogs are, so far as I know, just dogs. That being said, if you're loved by them at a certain point in the questline, you'll have a chance to see an Envoy from Dogs, so I guess they've got a union or a social network or something.

AFAIK every faction can generate sentient, talking Uniques. Unique glowcrows on the overworld are extremely nice to find because you can use them to befriend Birds through Offer Gift, and if you're a friend of Birds you're a friend to Twinning Lampreys. That makes Bethesda Susa much funnier, although I guess it might be a bummer if you're obsessed with getting every single kill yourself for the XP.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Apparently. Unless something's changed since this happened to me, I went down into Bethesda Susa on a past character and discovered that all the Lampreys were completely cool with me. The only faction I had befriended that made any sense at all for them to be in was Birds. I mean, they fly, that's not something that normal Lampreys do. I figure the Lampreys can consider themselves whatever they want to.

But yeah, nothing can kill them, at least not anything that doesn't have area-of-effect attacks. I've seen a pair of Twinning Lampreys take down a Salt Kraken in an underground cell. They don't mess around.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Unimpressed posted:

Just had my second game in the last 10 where Mehmet is dead and all there is in his place are his sandals, vinereaper and vinewafers. Is there any way to still do his quest?

Use the Wish command to spawn another Mehmet. If the original spawns having done something to offend the Fellowship of Wardens, Ulraig will blast him with Freezing Hands almost immediately.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

strategery posted:

So would it be realistic or possible to pick up chests from dungeons and put them in a house and just use that to store all of your extra water and gear in? Squatting in someone else's place :D

Personally I always grab two chests. One gets filled with stuff like Urberries that I need to hide so my idiot character's autoeat doesn't waste them. The other one gets dropped right next to where the Grit Gate Recoiler brings you, and that's the stash for heavy stuff you want to keep/obsessively hoard for later.

e: that's also where the face collection goes

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Check under options, disassemble scrap on pickup exists. Disassemble all in inventory would be nice sometimes, though, especially since you can't go through menus fast by button-mashing on the overlay UI.

e: drat, you ninja-edited me

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
So when are Mimics going to start living up to their names? I want to get strangled to death by the thing I thought was a tree ASAP.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Basilisks are visually indistinct from their husks. Bethesda Susa often has a ton of them laying around with real ones scattered among their shed skins, waiting in ambush.

They're not that dangerous by Bethesda standards but they can take you off guard.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Destroyenator posted:

Just had one of the historical sites spawn in the mountains at the top of the map (above Golgotha) and I couldn't access it. Thanks whoever posted that beguiling/dominating agility build a few pages ago, I've been having fun with that.

You can't fast travel through mountains but you usually can still find a way in on foot.

I'd like to second the calls for some other benefit for Willpower, a martial arts tree or something else, because right now it's really the dump stat on pretty much everything and I think that's a shame. It's more fun when everything's a legitimate tradeoff.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I actually think it's kinda okay for Freezing and Flaming Hands to be outliers as opposed to the baseline, and for some stuff to be better than other stuff. Everything doesn't have to be equal or optimal.

It's the journey, not the destination. Lean back, put on some nice music, and embrace the True Man experience.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
A boosterbot shot me with a Shade Oil injector that immediately reacted badly to my mutant physiology and summoned an Evil Twin to kill me. The Evil Twin immediately conjured a Temporal Fugue clone using an artifact I'd found earlier with that power attached. Both of them inject Hulk Honey, Berserk, and charge me, so I have two 4-armed axemen beating on me in a corner, and not a single thing in my inventory that can stop it. An axestravaganza of dismemberment and death follows.

This game is so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Tarezax posted:

Question: is it possible to make the invisible troll visible somehow?

From what I can tell, you can never make him directly visible.

What I usually do is watch for the splashing footsteps in the convalessence and spray bullets and/or explosives in that direction. Once you see the flash of you hitting him, it's pretty easy to guess where he is from turn-to-turn. If you stop hitting him, he probably teleported (at least, I'm pretty sure he can teleport away). Temperature changing grenades (both freeze and thermal AFAIK) will turn convalessence into vapor that hurts anything in it a little bit, so you can track him by the damage flash in the clouds as well while simultaneously denying him the chance to stand in that patch of heal juice. Not to mention that freeze grenades (theoretically) slow his advance towards you if you hit him.