Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Just ran into a neutral, legendary Mechanimist in the surface-level rust wells. His pack of buddies killed a "Warden of the Sanctum" who had also spawned, and now my be-carapaced mutant has a shiny new set of carbide platemail to sell.

P.S. What does a prayer rod do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Edwhirl posted:

out of curiosity if you have both clairvoyance and teleportation, do the people in grit gate care if you teleport past their force field?

IIRC they don't even care if you tunnel into their city with acid grenades. Just be careful not to hit anyone!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there an 'eat' key I'm missing, or do you have to do it through the 'get' menu every time you want to eat the corpses of your slain foes :black101:? It would be awfully convenient to have a 1-or-2-key combination for "eat whatever I'm standing on".

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I've got a minor suggestion: The random character name generation should work like Angband, where you can press a key to roll a new random name. That way you can roll it multiple times until you get one you like, as opposed to the Qud way where you don't see the random name until after you create your character.

e: A second issue. I spawned wielding a few lit torches (multiple arms). I extinguished and unequipped the three of them after a few turns, and they were still labeled as "lit torch (unburnt)", but they didn't stack with the others.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 21, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Something on floor 1 of the rustwell just psychically confused me from outside my vision range and tossed me into a space-time vortex.

I wish there was some sort of mechanism to keep from dropping you in a totaly-enclosed unescapable box, although at that character level I probably would've died no matter where I ended up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just quit and restarted. It was like a level 2 character, and the last time that happened I had to spend 5-10 minutes sloooowly tunneling to freedom by mashing ctrl-direction.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just beguiled a legendary mechanimist. Apparently it was a buy-one-get-two-free deal, because his two buddies are still following him around and helping me out. I guess they're technically not my followers, though, so I don't get the XP for anything they kill. Too bad.

edit: Okay it turns out my new Warden of the Stilt buddies were hostile to Argyve and Warden Indrix. RIP those guys.

e2: The actual mechanimist was a chump, apparently. He died in one hit after picking a fight with an equimax, and his overpowered pals immediately lost all interest in following me around.

e3: Oh man, a bug ate my giant pile of blood money water. For some terrible reason I had decided to use strength as a dump stat, so I dumped a ton of filled waterskins in the Grit Gate to save on weight. But recoiling back just now I got a "ThawZone Exception" while recoiling back in. I guess the map was completely deleted and re-generated, because it was all unexplored again and my pile of loot had disappeared into the aether.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 22, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unormal posted:

I'd take the log for the game with the thaw exception (support@freeholdgames.com) if you still have it around: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Okay, sent!

I also had it happen to Joppa on a previous character, but he's dead now and I don't know how far the log goes backwards.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just died because my own summoned dreadroot (from the Burgeoning mutation) spooked me. I spent 5 turns running around like a headless chicken while an enemy beat me to death. If I hadn't been running in fear from my own plant, I could've just torched the thing with my spiffy new flamethrower.

:argh: dreadroot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you're really desperate for fire you can wander down into the asphalt mines and get breathed on by some fire ants. But that's not exactly a controlled environment.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ben Soosneb posted:

Well I need a fire ant gaster for the blaze injector recipe so unless there's an easier method of finding fire that looks like where I'm heading.

I'm guessing I'd need to skill up my butchery a bit to actually get a fire ant gaster?

Might head up to The Six Day Stilt on the way, I think one of the updates said their were grenade merchants there now? I might have enough trade goods even for the ridiculous tongueless price insanity.

I think you need the third butchery perk to start commonly getting stuff like crafting materials and weapons. Before that you mostly just get food.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Snapjaw Firesnarlers are extremely destructive, apparently.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zarick posted:

Are there any good guides for this? It's a little overwhelming at the start.

Edit: Also, the options mention music and sound but there don't seem to be any that I can hear?

There isn't music for everywhere, it was just recently added.

I know the cathedral in the Six-day Stilt has some music, if you can get there.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It would be nice if the game automatically generated a daily or weekly seed, so people could play and discuss the same weekly without having to share the seed first.

It might also be cool if there was an option to randomize stats/class/mutations, although maybe that would make the weekly runs too difficult.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unormal posted:

I mean we have the character-died scoreboard that takes into account like zones visited, artifacts found, etc. Do scoreboards usually post on death or track them as you play? I never play roguelikes as daily/weekly challenges, which is why I have no clue.

The scoreboard stuff is normally just on death, yeah. You might also want to award some bonus points for completing the quests. I know Spelunky gives big score bonuses for winning the game instead of just dying, and for reaching the ultra ending.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Highblood posted:

I loving love the carapace+regen build, do you take chimera with it? What other mutations do you start with?

I feel like the only time you would want Chimera is if you're playing a low-ego character and starting with lots of Unstable Genome for fun. Physical mutants don't generally have spare mutation points to spend on *new* mutations, so morphotypes are way less useful for them than for Ego-heavy Espers.

I wish physical mutations could scale with stats like mental mutations do, but it would be pretty OP since stacking strength/agility/toughness still makes you powerful without mutations too, unlike Ego. Maybe if they only got a half bonus or something. Mostly I just wish that every character archetype could do the thing that Espers do where they get to spend all of their mutation points on cool new powers instead of upgrading existing ones.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 30, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MrWillsauce posted:

Is there a point to getting the Beguiling mutation when Proselytize exists? I assume that Beguile is more effective or something, but I've never been able to recruit anything very powerful with either of them. I guess if you pick the mutation and the skill you can have two companions.

Beguiling gives bonus HP, but really if you want followers it's better to just go with Proselytize and take the Domination mutation. While mind-controlling your buddy you can make them equip gear and even spend skill points from any levelups they've gotten.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Granbar posted:

Yo! Got this game yesterday. There's a few things I'm wondering about. I haven't played any proper roguelikes before, so this might sound dumb.

So it seems like there's a day and night cycle? When the game goes like this. How can I keep track of when it'll happen? Anything else I should know about the dark, except it's hard to see anything?
Also, I'm wondering if there's an easy way to kind of look at your weapons from the equip screen without unequipping a piece of gear then look at whatever alternatives I have in my inv?

Put a torch in your left hand at nighttime. You normally start with a few and you can buy more light sources from merchants if you run out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DisDisDis posted:

I just picked this game back up after a pretty long break. Currently exploring ruins for levels and flamethrowers before I head to Golgotha with a timeclone freezehand stabber. The last time I cleared it was with a scum esper and I'm not sure how to tackle him with a melee character. Freeze him solid and pelt him with electrobows? Five flamethrowers and grenades? (Okay maybe melee character isn't entirely accurate) Is it safe to melee him if he's frozen or will I still catch glotrot?

Custom tiles is great news. I've been wanting to try my hand at making a player character with Carapace tile so I can fully immerse myself in the turtle man experience.

As far as I know Glotrot isn't from the boss specifically but just from getting golgotha-goo in your mouth or something, which can also happen from some of the eel-type enemies pulling you down into it.

If you have some, taking a sip of honey every so often can stop a glotrot infection before it really starts.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unormal posted:

We're working on initial stages of a tinker refactor, it's a good time to say (or reiterate) any suggestions/wants/desires around tinkering.

My suggestion: make the data disks for items you only need one of (like electrobows) cheaper to buy than the actual weapon. I'm only ever going to use one electrobow, so tinkering's only useful to get it earlier or cheaper than I could buy it from a store. It still makes sense to have expensive recipes for things you'll craft multiples of like grenades, tonics, or cells though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It seems like using the "paste code" option causes the game to freeze and stop accepting input.

Guess I'll type it manually.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It looks like the exhaustion from adrenaline and disintegration stack with each other. I thought I was being clever using disintegration on the turn right before I fell asleep.

Fortunately it skill killed the bear that was chasing me, so I'm still alive.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unormal posted:

Huh I must have broken that at some point. Are you guys like... maybe not on Windows?

Nope, this was Win 7.

One other small thing: The exhaustion from adrenaline control and disintegration are slightly different, which seems weird.

In particular, the disintegration one gives you a popup each turn saying that you can't act while adrenaline doesn't.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
RIP. I died to Slog in Golgotha. It was after finding a waydroid, so I really should've beelined to the elevator instead of sticking around.

It says my most advanced artifact was a shotgun but I had been using a sniper rifle too, and I had taken some rifle skills like kickback and wounding shot to use with it.

I tried to disintegrate and then spawn time clones for Slog, but something bugged out and the ability went on cooldown without giving me any buddies. The ideal situation would be sprinting away from him so I could do wounding shots every couple of turns, but I kept running into more enemies so I never had space to do it.

I ended up eating 5 salve injectors and a bunch of witchwood bark for healing while running away from the huge pack of enemies I had stupidly attracted, which is why I was confused when I died.

e: This was the weekly character by the way.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 12, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Or used a recoiler. In theory you should be immune to any enemy that can't one-shot (counting DOTs) you as soon as you get a single recoiler. In practice, hubris exists.

I was under the impression that you just couldn't use one when enemies were around, in the same way that they block you from going to the world map. Is that how it worked in an older patch?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ToxicFrog posted:

Well that was embarassing.

Weekly challenge report: spawned with some grenades, traded them to the tinker for a level-up, went to Red Rock, ran into a snapjaw warlord immediately, tried to disintegrate it, didn't realize that "exhausted" meant "you can't take any actions at all", warlord survived the disintegration and smashed me.

I want to see someone die from their time clone's disintegration before the week ends.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MrWillsauce posted:

I think what happened is that the time clones spawned on another screen. Were you near the edge of the map? This happened to me when I was exploring a ruin and it nearly killed me too. The only thing that saved me was my friendship with the insects. I was left naked and alone being immolated by a dawnglider, and when I barely escaped thanks to some fire ants, and walked to the map transition, there were my time clones hanging out like a bunch of assholes.

The bottom of Golgotha doesn't have any screen transitions. They probably appeared on the other side of a wall, inside the elevator room.

I was actually deadly afraid of summoning the time clones and I never used them all the way up to that point. I assumed that they would one-shot me with my own disintegration the first time they saw an enemy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

M.Ciaster posted:

So I just got this game and it absolutely owns

After my first few characters died, I finally got into the groove with Clont, a four armed gunslinger (brother of dearly departed Clant, a four armed gunslinger (brother of dearly departed Clint, a four armed gunslinger)) :v: I'm just tooling around the world, trying to find neat poo poo and not to die. Got a pile of grenades, a sniper rifle I bought off a purple saltback dude I think?, my trusty two revolvers, two short swords to stab wildlife with, and some future drugs. Currently preparing to enter Grit Gate after exploring the ruins to the north.

Is there a place where I can get more crafting recipes? The tinker guy in the starting village doesn't exactly have the best selection. Also, can you mod weapons in any way?

There are guys in Grit Gate who have some recipes as well, although to get at them you either need to complete some quests or cleverly tunnel through the walls. There's also a guy in there who has 1000+ bullets to sell, which your gunslinger will probably appreciate.

There are also quite a few random merchants in the Six Day Stilt, usually including a few schematic merchants.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tooterfish posted:

So I bit the bullet and bought this on Steam. Game owns. Game owned back in 2010 and it still owns now. Just one minor user interface gripe that seems to be still around though:

When you're pouring liquids into containers, it'd be nice if it didn't ask if you want to empty the container first if both liquids are the same (ex: pouring fresh water into a container with fresh water, don't ask if I want to empty out the fresh water first). I've poured a small fortune onto the floor over the years through that, and I can't be the only one!

Also, does anyone know where I can find some clay pitchers? A baetyl is asking for 5 in exchange for enhanced prowess, and I think having my prowess enhanced is something I'd enjoy.

You could yoink them out of the merchants' houses in the Six Day Stilt but doing it without getting seen would be tricky.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hand of luke posted:

It's not quite what you asked for, but...

You have to put that on Saad-Amus's shoes now, too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unormal posted:

Yeah something is bizarrely broken for you. Try verifying client files and maybe make sure the resolution you pick when you launch it matches the native resolution of your monitor?

I have that same problem on Win7.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Some day I want to make a multiple-arms double-muscled cudgelman and just permastun everything forever.

Although I think it's pretty weak in the early game, and unfortunately double-muscled has some cutoff points where raising it will actually increase the quickness penalty. Going from -6 to -12 speed seems mostly suicidal unless you have some kind of extremely reliable way to get bad poo poo away from you.

e: Oh yeah and it would take a shitload of skill points to get the combo rolling. At a minimum you need flurry plus the cudgel daze and stun abilities, and eventually you're going to want barrage and bonecrusher and the rest of the dual wield skills. And since you want to get to 29 strength for bonecrusher you can't just start with crazy high int for all the skillpoints.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 1, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

Double-Muscled works great in conjunction with Multiple Legs. You get an overall boost to movespeed and a preposterous amount of carry weight between the two mutations.

So, basically, take a drawback (Amphibious perhaps) to afford Multiple Arms as well, and make a horrifyingly muscular cudgel spider.

Amphibious really deserves a nerf, honestly. It's in the highest tier of defects but has one of the least noticeable effects. Socially Repugnant is probably a billion times worse for water management, but it's only worth half as many points!

Here goes nothing:

Hopefullly a value point in Mental Mirror will let me run around with 0 willpower without getting oneshot by Sunder Mind.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Do you mean like electrobows, or normal ammo-using weapons that also happen to have some sort of cell-powered mod? (Do those exist?)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

strategery posted:

Oh poo poo I didnt know this was goon made! Awesome!

--------------------------
Unrealated Questions:
- I am having trouble not dying before I beat the first quest. Should I grind some lower level stuff to level up a bit before going to red rock?
- The game lets me equip two axes (one in each hand). I'm assuming I am not being penalized for this.
- There are quick save and quick load hotkeys (f5/f9), but these dont seem to actually do anything. I realize this is a rogue like but I suck at these first startign out and would like it if i can manage to play it this way until i dont suck. OR suck less.

You have a super-low chance to actually attack with the axe in your second hand, at least until you learn some of the dual-wielding skills.

And you'll probably need to replace it with a torch at night anyways.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Humans Among Us posted:

E; I always pick up both the quests and then head to Redrock, i tend to find it a bit easier than Rustwells. Just gotta remember that the Girshling corpse that you gotta pick up is pretty heavy if you run a low strength character.

I almost always do the wire quest first and then head through the seeeecret tunnel into Redrock.

Before that, you can just head down the entrance to the tunnel right from Joppa to immediately get the XP for reaching redrock, which is probably maybe unintentional. It should trigger when you reach the end of the "waterlogged tunnel" and actually enter the dungeon proper, IMO.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

leekster posted:

Hey everyone. Just started dabbling around the game and I'm kinda lost on what to do. I've followed the guide on the steam community and traded my artifacts with the man in Joppa but now I have no idea where to to find caves, dungeons, etc. I don't know what the next step should be and any time I wander too far off I get murdered very quickly. I really like the feel of the game and the stories I've read are amazing but I'm not sure how to get to that point. Any advice for a newbie?

Did you figure out to press < yet? You can also examine individual tiles on the world map to see what they represent: the three reddish things to the East are the rustwells, for example.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Going from 100 to more-than-100 is a big deal because it means you'll be able to outrun things just by moving in a straight line, but going from 110 to 111 probably doesn't matter that much. You'll be about 1% better at doing everything you do, but 1% isn't a very big number.

e: I think the adrenaline control power can get you around 200% when maxed out. Leveling it also decreases the chance to pass out and probably get killed while you're turbocharged, but it still seems pretty dangerous unless you have a teleport or force wall or something so you can get to a safe position during the 3-turn window before you pass out.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 11, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Benly posted:

So this is a little embarrassing, but where exactly is the hunter merchant in Kyakukya? I've heard people talk about his general location as "in the trees" or whatnot but I've never been able to actually find the guy.

He's in the big clump of trees to the east of Nuntu's hut. He's hard to spot because a.) trees can block line-of-sight and b.) he's the same shade of green as the trees, so you might have to look around for a little bit before you notice him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I've never seen one of these suspicious portals before:

I'm pretty sure it's a one way trip to the deathlands though

edit: it doesn't actually work. Curses.

You can make them yourself with the space-time vortex mutation, and I think enemy espers sometimes can too.