Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Unormal/hand of luke: Your game is loving rad and I've somehow managed to sink 54 hours into it in the last two weeks. In ways I wouldn't usually expect a roguelike to be rad, too: the art is lo-fi but evocative, the music is on point and the static level design, where it occurs, is great. Golgotha is a whirring clanking nightmare of a waste processing plant and I love it.

And well I've been poking around in the files looking at how things are put together and I've got some questions?

• In-game, weapons have a penetration score four points higher than what's listed in ObjectBlueprints.xml. Is that an actual functional bonus or is the interface lying to me?
  • Am I correct in thinking slugthrowers and shotguns straight up ignore the stats on the ammo they use? I assume I'd have to write a whole new part if I wanted them to stack with the weapon stats?
  • What does a 0 indicate in a tinkering bits spec? I don't think it's an A-bit, it seems to be contextual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Unormal posted:

*I actually wrote a ranged weapon ammo impact tutorial thing: https://freehold.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CQP/pages/25690130/Ranged+Weapons as far as the actual stats like ammo/shots per action? Yeah you'd probably have to write a new type of ammo loader part or replace MissileWeapon entirely. If you have some specific asks I could add hooks to
the MissileWeapon event chain.

Cool. I took a decompiler to Assembly-CSharp.dll this morning. My background is Java/Swift, but this all seems fairly straightforward :science:

Unormal posted:

*The actual bit costs are randomly shuffled per game. 0 means to include one of the 4 random "tier 0 bits" (ABCD) in the recipe.

Ooh, that makes sense. Thanks!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Got Jawsnapper before I was even back to Joppa. Those poor dumb hyena bastards :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Poland Spring posted:

numunumunumenara's system sucking is about as controversial as caster supremacy

I doubt it. There are hordes of grogs out there that will defend caster supremacy/deny that it exists. Not nearly as many people lining up to defend Numenera.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm curious why but couldn't find a good thread for it. Is there a good place to read on this that's more on topic?

Try the F&F teardown. There is a (live!) thread, to my surprise, but it's a four page nothing that hasn't seen a post in nearly three years.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

This makes me wonder what doing LSD in qud would be like.

If you took LSD in Qud, how would you tell? :toot:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

this thread is archived

Huh. Odd. I found it in the board index the old-fashioned way, and archived threads don't show up there.

Unless that changed at some point. Guess it must have. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

four chaingun turrets in a small room in grit gate, for some reason

Sometimes you open a door and it turns out it just ain't your day...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Everything in Qud is WIP, but my understanding is that anything beyond folded carbide is especially placeholder.

Zereth posted:

The water weep seems a bit far out to be worth dealing with, though. I've never had a merchant run out of water to pay me for things I'm selling them with.

Water is generally the least worthwhile use of your weight limit, imo. Trash-tier equipment aside.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, there are a bunch of biblical references in Qud. Which led me to wonder if Susa isn't a reference to this Susa. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

taking any door should leave an impassable wall in its place

:five:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bilal posted:

Went into the first level of the rust well and got set on fire by a legendary snapjaw with pyrokinesis. Now I'm not so sure.

Once had a first level of Red Rock that looked like this:

I trod carefully around that, you can be sure.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, that's going to make getting surrounded even more stressful.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

loving Dervishes of the Sightless Way, man. The guy just looked at me and suddenly there were seven thousand of him hacking off all of my everything.

First time I ever met an enemy in Qud and thought "I want to play as that guy". Is there a mutation that lets you summon those swords they have?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If nothing's changed since the last time I investigated this (it was a year or two back, so), the numbers on slugs and shells are 100% ignored and the ones on the gun are all that matters. Bows have no stats listed because they have no stats, period- it's all the arrow.

(I looked into the Dervish thing and it looks like the PsionicDervish part just gives them a random psionic weapon when they spawn.)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 31, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So the tags on the Qud workshop are, uhhhh, I’m going to go with “enthusiastic”.

Anyway, looks like the game’s had quite a few changes since the last time I looked at it. Apparently someone decided that everyone in Grit Gate had to be as cool as Q Girl. New layout is gorgeous, too. Is the (post-Bethesda) Putus ambush still as much of a high-AV hairball as it was before?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

There is one thing I don’t like about the new cooking system and it’s the basic “whip up a meal” option. I’m never doing anything interesting when I hit that, no matter what the context is. It is] busywork. Just strip out the hunger clock altogether and leave cooking as a pure ad-hoc buff crafting system.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cave diving can be lucrative but I find it generally uninteresting compared to the static content or even sultan ruins. My most memorable experiences with this game have been in ruins, actually- the theming helps a lot.

Water is generally plentiful enough that you’re unlikely ever to run out unless you get careless around a thistler and heavy enough that carrying it in bulk quickly becomes untenable. You want to convert it to nuggets and gemstones whenever possible.

Loot hauling: there’s a pretty broad range of value per unit weight and you’re better off only bothering with the stuff at the upper end. Leave the bronze on the ground.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I wish flyssas were better. Or more common. Or that there was a start option that gave you one. Okay, that last one might be a bit broken.

Because they’re not bad, exactly, but I rarely seem to find myself in a situation where I both have one and want to use it. Either it’s so late I’m already at that level of PV or I don’t really want to be in melee.

Which sucks, because it’s a lightsaber and that’s cool.

Speaking of wizard ninjas, the dervishes rock hard and I really wish I could be one. Even if it meant Ego was even more of a god stat.

e: maybe the problem with flyssas is that they’re sat in this awkward point on the PV scale. It’s high, but not quite high enough for the late game.

e2: I feel like this wasn’t so true before the goats got and buff and you couldn’t just walk into the jungle and carry off as much carbide as you wanted.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 11, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hey, Unormal, I think I've found a bug:

code:
              Event E9 = Event.New("CriticalHit", 0, 0, 0);
              E9.SetParameter("Attacker", (object) gameObjectParameter1);
              E9.SetParameter("Defender", (object) gameObjectParameter1);
In Combat.FireEvent ("MeleeAttackWithWeapon"): the game fires events on a crit, but passes the attacker as both attacker and defender.

Thanks to this, I have successfully created an expanded family of gaslight weapons that... mutilate the wielder on a crit.

But yeah, I couldn't get the flyssa thing out of my head:

...moderately overpowered?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hmm. It'd be cool if you could boil a sludge away with a blaze injector, too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

prisoner of waffles posted:

I don't have a ton of time to play so I have yet to accumulate the water vessels I'd need to buy a zetachrome lune.

Also I'm starting to have second thoughts about putting such nice gear on third-rate companions. What if I need to murder them later? Maybe we'll just get matching portable beehives for them. Twinsies!

Seriously though, if I already had dominate I wouldn't care...

You can pick zetachrome right off the ground if you climb down below the asphalt mines. I found a full set down there and am rocking a cool 21 AV

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

victrix posted:

This is probably a Thing that should happen for the procgen villages, because yeah, this is the shittiest part about a random start. Just highlight the two main quest givers or whatever, bonus if the warden and stilt dude start near you every time.

Non-mayor quest giver is yellow now, so there's that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

victrix posted:

Yeah I wanted to do a cool shotgun dude but it doesn't seem to be supported by gear or skills yet unfortunately

Attention friends of shotguns: I have created a shotgun mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2201802575

I've buffed the two existing shotguns slightly (?), added that sawn-off variant that Angry Diplomat suggested, and made all shotguns use the Pistol skill. I felt that tree was a lil more shotgun-ly than Bow & Rifle, though neither is a perfect fit. A Shotgun specific tree might be in order.

I also added a high-tier variant based on Doom II's super shotgun. It's, uhhh, a lot. Will happily evaporate goatfolk and chrome idols, but goes splat on cragmensch. Absolutely do not point it in the direction of anything you do not want angry or dead, and I mean even if they're on the other side of the map. If there's not a wall between you and them, find a better angle.

I think I have correctly wrangled the necessary code to make the new guns actually show up in chests and merchant inventories, though the one place you're absolutely not going to see them appear is on stilt gunsmiths, because they use population instead of encounter tables and I could not be hosed breaking out the C# to make that happen. If you don't see them show up anywhere, let me know?

I haven't added any custom tiles or sounds for the new guns either, sorry.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

I feel like shotguns realistically make way more sense using rifle skills than pistol skills, a sawn-off being the one exception.

It's not about realism, it's about synergy and style. The rifle skills want you to hold range, take careful aim and shoot tactically. Pistols want you to zoom around and fill the air with as much lead as possible.

Like, the rifle skills work for them- wounding fire and beacon fire are great. But all the accuracy bonuses are pointless and flattening fire wants you to shoot at isolated enemies in corners rather than into big groups. Even kickback- you don't necessarily want to be in melee range, but you don't get the penalty to being surrounded that you do with normal rifles either.

On the other hand all the pistol skills that want you to shoot more faster are all stymied by how often you have to reload a shotgun. But I think that's less of a problem.

A Strange Aeon posted:

This all sounds awesome! I'll do my best to report back once I've given it a try.

:toot:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

uhhhhh

UM

and I was only halfway through killing them when the blood lake formed...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

How did you not die of mind sundering, thats too many Sightless Way goons to mental mirror through

They don't seem to be able to sunder mind up stairs. At least, not all at once. Just stood at the top of the stairwell and hacked.

Serephina posted:

Having had pretty much that exact same historic site: Go back up the stairs.

Yeah, like that.

I spent nine salve injectors keeping myself alive :stonklol:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tomb loving rules, too. I am Qudded out now but I do not at all regret checking it out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

eke out posted:

honestly the Seekers instantly sundering you for massive damage across the map, sometimes multiple at once, is one of the least fun and most off putting gameplay design choices

you learn to build around it and avoid it, but it's just a sink in resources and a tax on the time of newer players, not actually interesting or dynamic. they're total chumps except when they kill you at random

Gonna be worse now that Mental Mirror requires a cooldown and a MA check. Can't buy a one-dot mutation to paper over dumping WI any more.

Always stack TO I guess.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So here's a stupid build I am considering looking at the mut revamp:

Burrowing Claws
Heightened Quickness
Double-muscled
Triple-jointed
Two-hearted
Carnivorous

Just some ridiculous claw ninja thing rolling around ripping people to shreds. I'm not a hundred percent sure where I'm planning to get the 45 mutation points necessary to max all of these but what's really drawing me up short is I have no idea what I'd want my attribute spread to look like.

So, given that I'm set up to, in theory, get all these "free" bumps to the physical attributes, my first instinct is to go with a fairly flat spread with a bias to the mental attributes. On the other hand, the big draw of unarmed is the totally lack of a penetration cap, so stacking ST is going to pay off in a big way, and on the other other hand I really want to get to 27 AG quickly for the Short Blades skills, and maybe Dual-wielding? I dunno.

(are the attibrute-boosting mutations still bugged?)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 4, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Taking a bath in madpoles just so I can walk without stepping on my own faces.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 12, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Those throwing axes are bonkers, it's really frustrating for builds that don't have an instant shutdown button like Force Wall or Freezing Ray.

You can always use Stopsvalinn. The Barathrumites should tell you where it is if you keep asking for secrets.

It's a brutal newb trap, coming as late as it does and being so hard to deal with it, but since you know you're going to deal with it and exactly when and where you can plan around it one you know it's there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Unormal posted:

• Lasers are no longer considered heat/fire damage or resisted by heat resistance.

Hmm. What does this change, practically? More effective on magma crabs?

I guess heat resistance is much more common than... anything which interacts with light? Is there anything that interacts with light damage except light manipulation?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Here's the full result. Can't be bothered loading this into a charting library

Well here you go, I threw it into google sheets:

I did a marginal chart as well but it looks more exciting than it actually is. The function is effectively three linear curves patched together: you get ~0.025 additional penetrations for every additional point of PV until you hit AV less six, and from there until break even you get about one penetration per six points of PV. Above break even, it's exactly one penetration for every two points of PV, with odd points being worth ~2/5 and even points ~3/5.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 19, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

bees x1000 posted:

so there's officially never going to be a way to join the Templar? are they ever going to get secret cities or bases for us to explore? i think it would be fun to get fashychummy, find out where they live, and then set off some hand-e-nukes in their toilets :v:

That's a point, actually- where are the Putus operating out of? They appear to have a not inconsiderable presence in Qud, and it seems to be a long way from any arcologies...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zeerust posted:

Have there been any indications as to what the Garden of Geth is going to be, eventually?

It's a very suggestive name. I'd suspect some sort of quieter, narrative-focused episode immediately preceding the climactic... whatever. Ascent up the Spindle or descent into Ptoh's lair, if I had to guess.

On the other hand (tomb spoilers) it seems to me that with a name like that it should probably come before the player dying and rising, and clearly it does not. So maybe it's just going to get cut? Or reworked substantially enough it's going to have a very different name by the time it's done.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tempora Mutantur posted:

speaking of, I *really really really* like the state of the current main quest

Yeah, the tomb in particular feels incredibly rich. Almost too rich, honestly, it makes the rest of the game feel almost underdressed by comparison.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1320177277620072448

mods rename me Saturnine Judaic Death God pls

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Salt krakens are actually extremely chill and don't care about the player at all, unless you have accidentally damaged them or severely pissed off their faction (Worms iirc), in which case you can and should simply run away from them as fast as possible

Molluscs. And Grazing Hedonists.

Do you lose rep with Molluscs for killing Slog, I forget.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Heeeey, this is cute

https://kasper-hviid.itch.io/printable-coq-beginners-guide

It’ll be out of date by Friday, but it’s cute

e: Or it'll be out of date right now, what on account of it being from last year.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 28, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You have to travel to progress the game, but the world map is divided into zones and some of them are way more dangerous than others. The salt marshes are extremely safe (everything is low-level and like 90% melee-only), hills enemies are still pretty easy but it started introducing more dangerous ranged enemies, swarms of minions, enemies that are faster than you if you aren't sprinting, etc. The flower fields are more dangerous and jungles/ruins are a death trap at this stage, so you should avoid them for now.

I think this is worth expanding on. :toot:

So, here's a map of Qud, which I have attempted to "helpfully" annotate.

Qud's terrain is divided into eleven different biomes, each with their own spawn table. Note there's a one-to-one correspondence here between world map tile and biome- it's not by region, though biome tiles do tend to be clustered into regions. So, I've only marked one area of ruins here, but any tile with a white "crumbling skyscraper" on it is ruins biome.

That's white or grey skyscraper tiles. The magenta skyscraper tiles in the far east are deathlands, which is a similar but infinitely more dangerous region.

If you're ever uncertain as to what biome a particular tile is, you can always use the look command, even on the world map.

In roughly ascending order of difficulty, you have:

But biome isn't the beginning and the end of assessing danger here. Qud likes to mix more and less dangerous enemies and the question of "am I safe" is less about "where am I" and more about "what is that" and "can I avoid or run from it if I need to".

So a lot of learning Qud is learning the enemy types. This is something I actually forgot, until I saw MonkeyforaHead's post, because I did it years ago. But there was a time where I would regularly say, see an Ogre Ape, think, "ah, an ape. I can take those!", and then get pasted because you do not gently caress with Ogre Apes. Again, the look command is very useful here, while you're learning- it'll tell you not just how hurt a creature is, but also how dangerous it should be, and whether it is currently interested in murdering you.

There's too many enemy types to give a complete guide here, but let's go over some of the ones I've learnt to respect:

(roughly in order of when you're likely to encounter them)

Crocs - These are a problem of all of a level at best, but they're the usually toughest thing between a new character and Red Rock, and they can kill you when you have all of 16hp.
Baboons - Again, weak, but they have a preference for kiting and rock throwing that can be dangerous for a character without a good way to close distance or attack at range. Often found camping the entrance to Red Rock.
Snapjaws - While the humble scavenger is rarely a problem on its own, snapjaws often come in packs, and some of the more advanced types- brutes, warriors, warlords, shotgunners- need to be taken seriously until you have ~6 AV or so. Very occasionally, yes, they will have grenades.
Jilted Lovers - While these are stationary, they have a chance to grab you when you pass close, which will prevent you from escaping if things go sideways. Your best survival strategy in just about any situation is getting the gently caress out of dodge, and you need to be on guard for anything that can gently caress with that- getting surrounded, getting grabbed, getting stuck in webs. Take these guys out from a distance whenever possible.
Beetlebums - Not typically hostile, but if you do manage to piss them off- with a stray bullet, perhaps- they are significantly tougher than anything else in Red Rock.
Slumberlings - Probably the biggest killer of the unwary player, as they've a wonderful habit of hanging out in areas much less dangerous than they are. You might mistake one for a rock, when you see it- they have the general shape, and they're usually asleep. Wake one up, though and they are an absolute terror- fast, strong, tough, and blessed with the ability to charge at anything that gets too close. The trick here is not to make the mistake of assuming you have to fight one when they wake up- keep running away and eventually they'll fall back asleep.
Slugsnouts, Fire Snouts and Dawngliders - These are all early game enemies with powerful ranged attacks, and the latter two can set you on fire with theirs. Not massively dangerous, on their own, but the pork will show up mixed with other types and the dawngliders have a terrible habit of following legendaries around in massive packs. They also fly, but you should have a gun by this point.
Turrets - Turrets come in a wide variety of forms with widely varying threat levels, from the humble musket to the absolutely murderous rocket. Each of them has its own distinct tile and you really need to pay attention to which is which. Like Tuxedo Catfish says, they are supposed to give you a grace round before they let fly, but apparently it's broken? The main thing with turrets is, you never have to fight them. Occasionally you'll find a nest of them guarding some tasty looking chests, but you never have to fight them. They're stationary. You can always walk away. And if there's a chaingun or two among them, that's probably the smart move.
Feral Lah and their Tumbling Pods - Found in the Flower Fields, this is probably the first thing you're going to run into with an explosive attack. The thing about explosives in this game is that you can't dodge them, and they ignore armour. If you want to survive an explosion the number you need is HP, and you need a lot of it. As far as explosive enemies go, the Lah are relatively forgiving- the pods go stationary once they activate and take a turn or two to go off, which gives you a lot of scope to juke out the way. They also have a habit of blowing each other up, and you can take out whole groups of them by shooting one.
Seekers of the Sightless Way - Not that long ago, you could just take mental mirror and laugh as these idiots lobotomised themselves. Alas :negative:. They're a lot more dangerous now, maybe a little too dangerous for how early they appear. The main problem, the problem with all psychic enemies, is the same as with explosives: they don't care about the same defenses that the rest of the game does. Psychic attacks care about MA, which is something you're not likely to have a lot of unless you yourself are a brain wizard, and which there aren't many options for boosting. The new sunder mind mechanics and the relative frailty of psychics would seem to suggest that rushing them down as soon as they start on you is the best counter-strategy, but a) that's not really a "strategy" and b) it's not always possible, when they can spot you and hit you across the screen and through walls.
Caravan Guards and Great Saltbacks - These are not typically hostile, being the guards and baggage trains of the dromad caravans you'll find scattered around Qud, but, like the Beetlebum, they are significantly more dangerous than most things around them if you piss them off. Saltbacks in particular are so heavily armoured they're close to invulnerable until very late in the game.
Saw Handers - A type of robot, saw handers are notable for being one of the few enemies in the game with the ability to dismember the player. By which I mean, cut off their extremities. There are a couple of ways to recover from this, but they're all rare and not easily found, which means that even winning a fight with these bastards can be run-ending. The strategy for all of these things is the same: know them by sight, be alert for their presence, do not, ever, under any circumstances, get close enough for them to even attempt to part you from your meaty bits. The saw hander is notable for looking a lot like the drill hander, a much less dangerous sort of robot found in roughly the same areas, but otherwise is easily the least dangerous dismemberer.
Albino and Ogre Apes - After explosives, psychics and dismemberment, the final member of the "bastard poo poo enemies can do" is "stun lock you with cudgel tech", and apes are the absolute kings of this. The albinos are encountered fairly early on, but are neutral to you by default (and often hostile to whatever's attacking you). The ogres, which are much, much more dangerous and appear later, are not, and if you find them together fighting the latter will aggro the former. Again, you just do not want to close to melee range with these guys. Cudgel stuns aren't going to permanently maim you the way dismemberment will, but it's much more likely to lead to a death spiral. More likely to lead to a death spiral that being stripped of all your weapons. The better idea is to just not engage.
Goatfolk - Goatfolk are the snapjaws of the mid-game, insofar as they appear in large groups, have lots of variants and are all over the jungles of Qud. Unlike snapjaws, none of the variants are insignificant and they're going to remain a major threat for a long time. The shamans have mental mutations, the sowers throw grenade-seeds (???), the savages are just tough as nails- ironically, the one with the gun might be the least dangerous (Unormal: add a "jungle rifle" for these guys?). On the plus side, they're worth a lot of XP and they drop carbide by the truckload. I don't typically grind in Qud, but if you wanted to the goats should be your target of choice.
Templars - The faction beloved of the frog men. Early on you're unlikely to stumble across anything except the squire, which can give you a skewed perspective on how tough they are. Templars are tough, and I mean specifically tough. They wear full plate and carry shields, which can make them incredibly durable. Worse, they have shield skills, which means attacking them can stun you. Some of the more dangerous ones can disarm you, and the Wraith-Knights are fully incorporeal- completely impervious to harm. You need to kill their phylactery bearers to get rid of them. Note: as ravening genetic purists, the Putus hate all mutants... but if you're playing a True Kin, they'll be friendly to you, and you can trade with them. Kill them anyway.
Madpoles - The reason we stay the gently caress away from the river. So infamous there's an ingame book about what a bad idea it is to have anything to do with them. Like the saw hander, these guys have the ability to dismember. Unlike the saw hander, they can also latch onto targets and go berserk when they scent blood. Of all the enemies it's a bad idea to get close to, this one may be the worst- they don't so much attack as rip through you. Most terrifying of all: if you decompile the game, you'll find that the berserk state triggers off of the presence of the sequence "blood" in the display strings of things the madpole is sharing a tile with.
Dervishes - These are- I think- unique in being melee psychics. They use specially conjured versions of the standard melee weapons- swords, axes etc.- which use ego rather than strength to determine penetration and are resisted by MA rather than AV. They also have the ability to teleport, which would be bad enough, but the worst thing about them is that they get player skills. Whatever weapon they spawn with, they will have skills for, so the long blade dervishes can disarm you, the cudgel ones stun you, and the axe ones (of course) dismember you. It is vitally important to look and check what these guys are carrying when you see them- though frankly being disarmed is bad enough. Treat like any other bad-touch enemy and kite them.

I think that covers most of the things you'll run into before Bethesda Susa, unless you go to the deathlands. Pro-tip: the deathlands are full of stupid-hard poo poo that's almost impossible to kill. Stay away from the deathlands. If a chrome pyramid spots you, you are already dead.

Another big part of learning the game is knowing what bits of the main questline you should be prepping for in advance, and how:

Golgotha is a horrible pit of misery and slime. There are a lot of enemies in here but the big danger is disease- particularly Glotrot, and Ironshank, neither of which you want to deal with long term.

Mitigation is best, and the best way to do that is to spend as little time in Golgotha as possible. Remember: your objective is to retrieve a waydroid. It is not to kill Slog and loot the place bare. Get in, get to the bottom as fast as you can, avoid wading through black ooze if at all possible, grab a droid and recoil out as soon as the game will let you. If you even see Slog it's a bad run. Note that this means you need to have a recoiler, and to have kept it charged. You'll get one from Argyve but you can also buy them from the Barathrumites (you'll need to talk to the door a second time to access the merchant).

Once you're out, you need to be alert for symptoms of disease. Ironshank will make your legs stiff, Glotrot will make your tongue sore. If you get a message about either of these things, immediately eat yuckwheat or honey. Raw works, cooked is better. If your disease save bonus runs out before your symptoms abate, eat more. Again, these are things you want to have prepared before you enter Golgotha.

If all else fails and your symptoms progress to full-blown cases of the disease, you need to go out and compound the cure, which may be a quest of of its own. The first thing you need to do is figure out what the cure even is- the ingredients will be different every game- which means finding a copy of the Corpus Choliys. You might be able to find one in the Stilt, but if you can't you might consider making an early run to Kyakukya- the mayor there is guaranteed to hold a copy. Again, staying safe isn't all about staying out of dangerous places- knowing what to avoid tangling with is important. It is entirely possible to run through the jungle early. After you have the book, you need the ingredients, which you'll be able to buy off of ichor merchants- I think the Stilt always has at least one. Again, this is helpful to prepare before entering, though less vital than a recoiler and yuckwheat or honey.

Raising Indrix is technically a sidequest, but it's a sidequest I like to try and do every game, to smooth out the transition from Golgotha to Bethesda Susa. It's mostly a straight combat gauntlet, so there's not a huge deal to say about it. First you carve your way through half a dozen or so screens full of angry goats, and then at the end you fight one extremely angry goat. Obviously you want to make sure you're prepared for goat-fighting, but it's more about gearing and timing than anything else.

One thing that may trip you up is that you want to stay off the overworld map when searching for Mamon. The game has been training you pretty hard not to travel overland up to this point but when it tells you to follow the river here it doesn't mean the river you can see on the overworld. Go north one screen from Kyakukya, follow that river east, until you find smoke.

On Mamon himself: he's a powerful psychic, yes, but he's also a serious physical threat, like all goatfolk. I think my best fights against him have all been the ones where I unloaded on him from long range, as fast as possible. There's no enemy you want to kill slowly in Qud but I think with Mamon especially you want to alpha strike him to buggery.

Bethesda Susa is huge! It's an absolutely mammoth dungeon, and a lot of it is going to be straight combat. There's a lot that isn't, though.

First off, on the surface level you're likely to run across cragmensch. These are, basically, rock people, and as you'd expect they have sky-high AV. More AV than you could reasonably expect to penetrate at this point, in fact. Fortunately, they don't have HP to match. Vibro weapons and explosives are good to prep for this, though if you absolutely have to they're not impossible to brute force. Watch out for the brainers, which are psychics.

Below the entrance, you'll find the healing pools, which are inhabited by a trio of bosses. The first of these, Jotun, requires special attention. Apart from being one of the most serious melee threats you'll see in the entire dungeon, he also has throwing axes, with which he can dismember you at range. The other two aren't pushovers, but they're nothing compared to that. The best solution is to use a forcefield to prevent them from reaching you- that means you need the force bubble or force wall mutations, a forcefield bracelet, or Stopsvalinn. The first two are obviously build dependent, and the bracelet isn't always there to find, but you are almost guaranteed to be able to find Stopsvalinn every run. How? It will always be wielded by a snapjaw in the desert canyons, and if you swap secrets with the Barathrumites they should, eventually, tell you where it is.

The middle sections of the dungeon are the wards, and these are full of strange and wonderful enemy types you don't see anywhere else. Some of these are straightforward, some are total dicks, but for the most part it's just normal combat. Early on you'll find an elevator which will allow you to skip most of it. I'm neutral on the wisdom of that- you won't have to fight twinning lampreys, but you'll miss a bunch of good loot (injectors, mostly, and tinkering bits) and XP, as well as the alchemist. Also coming into play in this section is Betheda Susa's environmental hazard: the cold. The deeper you go the colder it gets, and that's going to start impacting your action speed. That is, really, really bad, and you need a way to cope if you want to be able to fight effectively down here. Blaze injectors are a temporary solution, but you really want cold resistance- which means the carapace mutation, or woolly armour.

Below that are the cryobarrios, which have some static content which is neat but not all that dangerous... unless you want to crack open the wrong cryochamber and fight a bonus boss.

Finally, at the very bottom, there's a Mechanimist temple. This can be the hardest part of the whole thing or the easiest, depending entirely on what your rep is with that faction. Above 250 you will be "welcome in their holy places", and they'll be perfectly happy to let you walk in and talk to the Baetyl. Otherwise, you're going to need to cut your way through an army of templar-esque paladins and psychic priests. And their dogs. It's an incredibly satisfying fight, but also an extremely hard one, and unless you feel like rolling the dice this late in the run I'd do it the diplomatic way. You can build rep with them easily enough by throwing artifacts into the hole they have in the Stilt.

A Call to Arms is, I want to say, the largest dick move the game pulls on you? It's an ambush, a surprise attack by the Templars on the Barathrumite compound directly after you turn the Bethesda Susa quest. Just knowing it's going to happen is half the battle, but even then it's going to brutalise you. The templars come in force and you're tasked not just with killing them- which would be hard enough- but doing so with the bears and all their in the way. You want all the usual tools for high-AV enemies here- explosives, vibroweapons, psy attacks, electric damage. Remember that the Wraith-Knights can't be killed directly, you need to kill their phylactery holders.

A while back this quest was changed so that you have a chance to activate some of the Barathrumite's automated defences before the attack begins. This, theoretically, makes the fight easier, but you've a tight power budget to play with and I'm never sure what the best choices are. Overclocking the chromelings and using forcefields to keep the invaders corralled seemed to go alright the last time I tried it.

Finally, on progression: like I said, MonkeyForaHead, I don't find myself needing to grind, as such, but there are some things I do to smooth out the curve a little.

In a typical game I'm looking to do something like:

• Red Rock (side quest)
  • Waterlogged Tunnel <- At the bottom of Red Rock there'll be an underground river, flowing south; follow that to its end, and the stairs up will lead to Joppa. You can also follow it in the other direction, and I think most people do?
  • Rust Wells (main quest)
  • Maybe a historic site, or lair, or two
  • Rusted Archway (mini dungeon, between Joppa and Grit Gate)
  • The Six Day Stilt <- In addition to the XP just for showing up, you can turn books in to the librarian here for more XP. If you're lucky enough that a bookbinder spawns in the Stilt, you can effectively buy XP at any point after this.
  • Grit Gate and Golgotha (main quest)
  • Maybe another historic site, or lair, if I can find one of the appropriate level.
  • Maybe the first half of the Asphalt Mines
  • Maybe a quest from one of the autogenerated villages
  • Maybe Bey Lah, though those guys don't even want your help. These days I tend to leave them alone.
  • Kyakukya/Raising Indrix (side quest)
  • Bethesda Susa (main quest)
  • Maybe the Asphalt Mines, if I'm feeling a real need for zetachrome before A Call to Arms
  • A Call to Arms (main quest)
  • Omonporch (main quest)
  • Pax Klanq (main quest)
  • Any remaining historic sites or lairs I feel like doing
  • Definitely at this point something to get zetachrome, probably the Asphalt Mines
  • ~~~The Tomb of the Eaters~~~ (main quest)

A lot of that list is filler content for XP, but I'm rarely just wandering the overworld killing random mobs.

I should probably add something about what historic sites tend to be like and how you find them but uh this post got kinda long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Unormal posted:

• New items: wristcomp, turbow, a variety of arrows.
  • Compound bows now correctly enable Strength bonuses to penetration.

The bow patch.

Extra arrows seem to just be higher-tier basic arrows (carbide through zetachrome), no funny trick arrows.

There's also a new "MissilePerformance" part on this turbow, which
code:
    <part Name="MissilePerformance" PenetrationModifier="4" DamageDieModifier="4" DamageModifier="1" />
    <part Name="RulesDescription" Text="This weapon increases the base penetration of its ammo by 4.
This weapon increases the damage die of its ammo by 4.
This weapon increases the damage bonus of its ammo by 1." />
This I guess is the solution to the "how do we get both the ammo and the weapon to affect the projectile stats" problem. Notably not a change to how MagazineAmmoLoader works, so it doesn't automagically mean slugthrowers care about the ammo they use...

@Unormal are you guys planning to add more slug/shell types in the future?