Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

No fluff or exposition! That's what makes it arcane and weird and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

The Barathrumites will unlock the other doors as you complete more quests and win their trust.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, there's some chests in isolated rooms around the Grit Gate for you to plunder, if I recall. But I wouldn't do that. I couldn't bear the guilt.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, the books are great. I just like how mysterious the arcologies are and how you have to piece together an interpretation of what they're about from the names of the castes and what kind of items you start off with.

e: but maybe that's dumb.

MrWillsauce fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 4, 2015

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

The hunter in the mushroom village has some ape-fur clothes for sale, which are cold resistant. Other than that, you just have to keep checking shops or getting lucky.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

If I remember correctly, the only goat in town is the warden, and they all live in giant mushrooms. :shrug:

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

bisonbison posted:

Mutant animals and sentient plants!
I can't wait. I mean, you can already play vicariously as mutant animals and plants with Domination, so it's just a matter of making a semi-balanced character creation system for them. While rolling random mutant humans is fun, I don't get the same thrill as I do rolling a Gamma World character, when you don't remotely know what the hell you're going to end up with. Speaking of, if I ever get a group together to run play Gamma World again, I think I'm going to shamelessly rip off a lot of Qud's setting and monsters and maybe run a halfway decent game that isn't totally off the wall for once.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I've used one as an artifex before. It was decent enough to last me until I could afford a laser rifle schematic. I could take out goatfolk villages and stuff pretty easily as long as I was careful.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I wish the game gave you defects at least some of the time when rolling a random mutant.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Does anyone ever actually use the tinkering recipe for lead slugs or shotgun shells? I don't feel like 5 slugs is worth even a tier-1 bit.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I want the mutation from 3rd edition Gamma World where you can shoot radiation blasts from your eyes added.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I'm not a game designer, I just want hideous mutant beasts to shoot radiation from their eyes.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Barathrumite parties out in the wild usually have some honey laying around, and don't mind you taking it. Otherwise, just keep checking shops and exploring the world until you get lucky. To ignite it, just use a grenade or something. If you want to get creative, you could go out into the salt plains and goad a dawnglider into breathing fire on it, or find some fire ants. You might be able to heat the canteen up by dropping it and whacking it with a torch, but I have a feeling the blunt damage will outpace the temperature change, and you'll just break it.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

There are nutsier things in the deathlands than leering stalkers.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Fill it with wine and have a party.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Battle axes are one-handed. Unless it's a two-handed battle axe :eng101:.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Vinereapers are for vines. Battle axes are for battle. :science: :eng101: :science:

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I kind of thought Menacing Stare being a gunslinger ability was a nice touch, but I guess that makes sense. Also, I think that Akimbo should be toggleable.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Hoard those crayons while you can.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

No weapon will come close to your psychic powers by the end.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Is there a buggy way to obtain and wield its butthole? I once disarmed a spitting vine and wielded its spitter.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Oh, I thought you meant it in response to my post, as in "slog's butthole is the ultimate weapon"

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Have a second head!

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Wait, really? I built a whole character around minimizing physic power cooldowns by giving him a second head. It was one of my two runs where I survived through the main questline, and I got most of my powers down to a single-turn cooldown, which I was sure was only possible because of my two heads. I guess I misread the text of that mutation this whole time, and missed out on being a pure esper and thus several more powers. I wish I could manifest a reading comprehension mutation. At least I got to wear two hats.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, you get two points of ego for wearing two knollworm skulls, but you only get the AV bonus from one. All of the resistances and status effects will apply when you wear something on an extra body part, but not the armor or dodge effects.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Neutron flux? Is that new?

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Or you could say:

< = less depth than your current level
> = more depth than your current level

< is up and > is down in most roguelikes

I get tripped up by the tiles version stairs too.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

It's almost like this is an arcane far future roleplaying game and not a ballistics simulator.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

:rznv: witchwood bark (blazing)

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Kill your evil twin and wear your own face.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Unormal posted:

Gates to penis

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Shale is crumbly. If you have any kind of strength you should be able to break out of it if you just keep hammering it with your weapon.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Most patients don't pronounce it at all

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

In the options you can turn on "ask before dying" so you'll never die, unless you want to or get trapped in some kind of horrible infinite death situation.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I was listening to Car Talk and they did a great review of the game.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

3rd edition Gamma World just has a mutation called Hands of Power, which can give you anything from flame hands to lightning hands to radiation hands. It's pretty cool.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

How valuable is lava anyway?

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Would you guys be interested in playing a weekly contest type deal like they do on the Brogue and ADOM forums, where we generate a random mutant and see who can get the furthest with him?

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I guess we could just start from the same save file, though I am running the game on ubuntu, so I don't know if it will be compatible for you guys on windows, and I can't seem to find the save file in the CoQ Steamapps file. Also it might still generate areas differently for each of us when we enter them anyway. I think the important thing is just that we're using the same starting character; even if we have the exact same world, it's large enough that all of our adventures are going to be vastly different.

And I do agree that a single week is maybe too short, considering it takes hours and hours to beat the main quest line, but at the same time I predict that a lot of people will end up dying in the first hour or so, and then they'll have to wait a long time for the next competition. Maybe we should do it biweekly or something. I guess we'll figure it out as we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I suppose it just needs to generate the same world consistently if a certain seed is used, so everyone has a level playing field. I'm not sure how the RNG really works when it builds the world, or if that's possible.