Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

dead gay comedy forums posted:

did some fun builds a while ago but I am scratching my head to do an esper and would like some pointers to not suck. any tips?
E. Just saw this wasn't a newbie question:
I'm still figuring this out, haven't got below the first level of Bethesda Susa, but,

Great Salt Desert is where I always start. Good sightlines, weak enemies with good weapons, frequently run into Mechanimist pilgrims who have a 'quantum waterskin' and can buy the hundreds of drams worth of bronze swords and desert rifles weighing you down.

Sunder Mind will kill a dawnglider, at noon in the great salt desert where they live, you can see the whole map at once so post up somewhere they won't be able to reach you in time. 375xp per kill until around lvl 15? or so? Either way, your first two kills will level you to like, lvl4 and quickly thereafter. Once you have enough HP to tank a few shots, an issachari rifler will give you his gun, and there you go, now you're not helpless while Sunder is on cooldown. Level in the desert and sell the Raider trash until you have enough HP, water, and equipment you think you're ready to take on anywhere else.

Precognition is essentially the ability to save and reload a game in a roguelike, aka savescumming. It makes things STUPID easy (cooking w nectar), though I don't want to think how many times I'd have needed to die figuring out Golgotha without it.

Force Bubble is nice to keep yourself safe from melee bruisers. Syphon Vim has helped a lot in the past. Teleport is almost mandatory. People have crazy stories about Dominate.

I should add I havent spent a single mutation or attribute point yet. Pop Templar Heads/trade with legendary mechanimists and cook the resulting nectar. The Ego levels the mutations for me. I figure eventually there will come a problem (probably as soon as I try to get back through bethesda) I can't precog my way through, at which point I'll just dump points where they'll do the most good and bullrush through.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

genericnick posted:

Haha, sore throat and stiff legs. I'm back.

So, my esper got extra legs on his first excited genome and after peeking at my mutations with Precog, I've been fine to let it just excite a second time. All this is to say I have quickness to SPARE and since I've been out of Golgotha, sick with fullblown Ironshank and it hasn't progressed past +1AV and -16 Quickness in all that time. I get the 'your cartilage knits up' messages but no progress.

I was hoping to burn off some of my excess quickness and just turn into a steel-legged centaur but it's not going. Anyone know why? Does it take a crazy long time? Supposedly it's supposed to progress until -80quickness.

As to people talking about the value of cooking, I hosed around with some spinefruit in the six day stilt and learned you can cure a body fungus infection by growing quills. Seems like maybe that should be fixed in the future, but for now it was nice!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

uhhh... "Object"? I killed him and there was nothing on the ground so was it an implant? Mechanimists aren't truekin, and anyway, implants show as 'weird artifacts'.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Huh, looks like one of Ptoh's ospreys procced in the ToEs. Didn't know this was a thing.