Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I got killed by my own shadow. Is that normal? Also I feel like Fungal Red Rock happens surprisingly frequently or maybe I'm just getting lucky. It seems strange that sometimes I find infinite money as soon as I go to the first dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

Well you can pyschometry the ammo's so you might as well shoot everything in the face point blank too imo. I think i'm going to try and make a heavy guns dude instead this time.
Lot of STR + AGI, psychometry to make bullets... shotgun + kickback im thinking

You mean Evil Twin or Clones or something? And yeah i also thought it was kinda weird there was thousands of drams of fresh water to meticulously haul out of red rock floor 3 on a low strength character. It's me i'm the HAM

It was specifically Shadow "my name" that kill me and I did not have evil twin.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My problem was I tried to identify something and just stabbed myself with it instead causing me to have an injector mishap

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Someone convince me not to play True Kin to the end of the quest line again, I need to be reminded why it's a bad decision.

Somehow my best character was a true kin artificer short blade. Starting with tinkering 2 lets me dump int and still craft most of the items in th.e game. I even managed to make a flamethrower before leaving joppa once

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've been thinking about the fungus biome some more and I think they would be better off without the weeps. It just seems silly that sometimes you more or less come across a pool of infinite money.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, I thought. I was ready for Golgotha. I had flaming hands to clear the ooze. I had guns, and terrible psychic powers. I had even gotten all of the ingredients needed to cure Glotrot!

I could do this, I thought.

This guy was waiting for me at the bottom. :suicide:

I got caught between a pile of crabs and a named cultist and entourage and just barely managed to teleport past everyone. I was apparently a high enough level to beguile slog though and he turned around and single handedly wipe out the entire floor while I hid in the elevator shaft.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

For the skill cudgel expertise, is the strength bonus to damage supposed to be for all hits or just critical hits? For example, I'm currently using an electric iron mace. I did an attack that penetrated 4 times and I've got a +3 strength bonus but I did a total of 5 damage. I was under the impression that the only damage reduction was from elemental resistance so I don't know what's going on.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is there any source for in depth spoilers of game mechanics? I've finished as much of the main quest as is currently implemented a few times now, but I still kind of have no idea what a lot of stuff actually does. I feel like several of the skills aren't even implemented yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but the lack of concrete information contributes to the perception that something is wrong. For instance, do the second and third level of harvestry do anything? I haven't noticed any increase in items gathered or encountered anything that needs masterful harvestry, but I never tried because it doesn't look like anything is happening so why bother.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I figured out my problem. It turned out I didn't actu.ally buy the second level of harvestry. I love gathering a huge pile of hoarshrooms but by the time you leave Bethesda the game is practically over.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The comparison to curses made me think that fungal infections would be a lot better if they fused your weapon to your hand until you cured the infection. There would still be a downside but it's not going to completely shut down some characters.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Amphibious is so unimportant that if it was the downside to photosynthetic tuhat photosynthetic would still be good.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't know what upgrades the lens item is supposed to accept but I feel like the game thinks it's a helmet. I put a visor on it once

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've taken more than 50 damage from sunder mind before I'm not sure just being careful is enough

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like cudgels should be good but they aren't.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My first end game character was a no int artifex. They start with so much gear you can take them in pretty much any direction

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So if a Baetyl asks for metametal I'm poo poo out of luck right? I've also got one asking for wof corpses and I don't think I've ever encountered a wof.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I found a legendary eaters nectar in a ruins once it had no extra effects on it it was just a free eaters nectar in a relatively low level dungeon.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cleared a shrine full of farmers today. I ended up leaving behind over 100 pounds of apples.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've recovered a relic for a quest, now how do I actually complete the quest?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I pressed the wrong direction while using a flume flier to run away from madpoles, and somehow I lost all of my limbs in one turn and got killed 3 times over.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I did once take slam on a non cudgel character just for the sake of smashing walls. I then managed to find the slam with any weapon glitch by forgetting to shuffle gear around. Then I didn't say anything about it because it was nice not having to shuffle gear around in order to break through things.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I cheated a cure and still lost speed. Just kill yourself if you get ironshank.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

hand of luke posted:

• Six Day Stilt merchants, and other rare merchants, now periodically refresh their wares.

I guess I won't murder everyone in the bazaar every game now.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

SteelNeuron posted:

Not sure how shield blocking stacks, but would there be any point in building a four armed character with four shields and four bucklers? What should I do to make this build work?

Shields are complete garbage for defense. You can only block once a turn so those extra shields only matter if the block doesn't proc off of the first shield. Keep in mind blocking only means that the shield's armor value is added for that turn. You keep the EV penalty for every equipped shield whether they block or not and EV is much more effective for defending yourself in this game. Shield bash is pretty good though.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

resistentialism posted:

If something is making autoexplore ram your face into a wall repeatedly, it's probably a chest overlapping a wall tile.

If you turn on the nearby items list it Will tell you What's under the wall.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zak2k12 posted:

I did two sultan dungeons so far. The first one game me a pair of boots with +1 ego and electrical generation. The other one gave me a short sword with light manipulation, but my character is into axes unfortunately.

Then I took the stairs down from Grit Gate and went something like 66 levels deep until there were no more stairs. I had teleport and clairvoyance so I could avoid the stuff that would outright kill me, and I found a lot of dromad caravans to trade with (or loot after the magma crabs killed them) and I got cool gear like a phase cannon, a metametal battle axe, antimatter cells, and timecubes. I can probably do Bethesda Susa at this point.

All in all, this is the best :10bux: I spend on a game this year.

I would recommend offhanding a short blade in pretty much every circumstance.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've played a couple hundred hours and I don't think I've ever died from shooting at something and hitting something else.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Honestly the current cooldown on freezing hands is already too low. Once you get more than a few levels in you're borderline invincible just from nothing ever being able to get close to you.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Last time I finished a true kin you still had to wipe out the Templar to continue. I doubt it's been changed yet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I used a polygel on a credit once and then realized there weren't two things I wanted.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone play this game and linux? Steam claims the game is compatible but I can't make it run on my laptop.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I maintain that true kin were never weak, they just needed a different play style.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Keep in mind that blocking in qud does not mean not getting hit. Blocking just means extra PV against a hit. In my opinion right now DV is so much better than PV that it does not make sense to use a shield other than for the sake of shield bash.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ok I finally got around to playing for the first time since the cybernetics update. I found a schematic implant that gave all utility schematics. This includes the schematic for the new ruin recoiler meaning I was capable of creating an unlimited number of recoilers all going to different ruins which was fun, but I feel like I probably wasn't supposed to have access to that schematic. I ran into a sultan dungeon that had some sort of vortex generating machine that made a vortex appear that only summoned forth Baetyl. Is this a new feature? I've never encountered it before. I was steamrolling everything with fullerite fist implants until I went to bethesda. It seemed that 35 strength was still not enough to punch through cragmensch armor consistently. I then managed to get destroyed by a throwing axe from jotun that somehow dealt 71 damage before. It was by far the most damage I had ever taken from a non-instant kill.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would adding a guaranteed Becoming Nook at the bottom of the 19th floor under Grit Gate be overkill? Just seems like a reasonable thing to be down there, before it turns into generic Underground.
Is there not one down there already? I found one immediately under the last floor, but that might have been a coincidence.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I absolutely despise lighting mechanics in roguelikes in general. Food clocks and light clocks are both inelegant solutions to a problem that isn't really a big deal in the genre anymore anyways. If you really wanted lighting to still exist in this game then I feel like there should be some sort of tactical trade-offs with the lighting system. It's kind of dumb that literally everything can see in the dark except for you unless you specifically take the mutation to do so. It's also only a one point ability on mutants so it's kind of not hard to fit on any mutant build. It really only comes down to true kin. In that case it's deciding on what slot you want to sacrifice in order for your character to be in any way functional in the vast majority of the environments in the game.It would be nice if in the late game lighting was entirely trivial for a true kin but you basically have to always give up a slot on your character in order to just be able to see. Under the old cybernetics it was easy because there wasn't anything worth taking so if you stuck it out to bethesda you were all set to see, but now there are so many other things you could be sticking in your head slot.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

A couple of quality of life things I hope are added soon:

The flamethrower should not require a nethack amount of steps to reload.

Grenades should either not take a turn to ready or should not automatically ready the next one after you throw. I'm really hoping for the first one since I can't think of another roguelike that has multiturn consumables. I feel you aught to be able to throw anything in your inventory and the thrown slot should just be a handy shortcut for something you throw alot.

You should get some sort of warning when you take an action that requires multiple turns be and there are enemies around.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Begemot posted:

Oh my god, I had no idea you could upgrade your fists.

Please tell me there are at least plans for crysteel and metametal hand bones :allears:

I don't think fullerite fist is worth the cost. Carbide by itself demolishes most targets and you're still going to need something else to deal with targets you're having trouble penetrating.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you're having trouble penetrating you just need to slam a Hulk Honey tonic, or possibly stop trying to use cudgels on a character with crappy Strength. Fists have an infinitely scaling strength penetration bonus. 2d4+1 damage with infinite scaling is loving nuts and should be more than enough to take down anything you have any business being in melee with in the first place.

4 points is hefty for sure, so if you have the carbide fists you might consider giving it a miss, but I'd grab that in a heartbeat on a smashy True Kin if I had the points to spare.

e: for reference, I believe my True Kin is level 10-ish and Hulk Honey raises him to 40 strength. If you can't punch clean through an enemy's armour with +12 penetration you probably shouldn't be trying to punch them to begin with :v:

Yeah my point was if you weren't penetrating the fullerite doesn't solve your problem. Having no strength cap and no ability to mod on elemental damage makes higher tier fists a lot less necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No that's just the vortex collapsing. Being anywhere near it is instant death I think.