Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
I hijacked this week's Feature Friday post from Unormal.

*We refreshed Adrenal Control. Here's the new version.
-Adrenal Control (4 MP)
-+5 quickness
-You can increase your body's adrenaline flow by up to 5 grades.
-Each grade gives you an extra 10 quickness (+1 quickness per mutation level) and +3% chance per round to exhaust yourself (-0.2% chance per mutation level).
-When you exhaust yourself, you lose your adrenaline bonus and fall asleep 5 rounds later. You stay asleep for 5 rounds.
-Increasing and decreasing your adrenaline flow are free actions.
*The Baccata Yewtarch has outdone himself with a thrilling account of the peculiar habits of foreign espers in "Across Moghra'yi, Vol. III: Oth, the Free City".
*Tidings of the Six Day Stilt renovations have arrived:
-Work on the Stilt continues
-The Mechanimsts have commissioned renowned sculptress Petramaia to adorn the cathedral at the Stilt with several statues and two relief sculptures depicting important scenes from the Canticles Chromaic
-Apple farmers, apothecaries, bookbinders, and cobblers from across Qud have begun their trek toward Stiltgrounds' bazaar
-Scouts have noticed 3 deer centaurs prancing toward the Stilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Wow. That's wonderful, amuayse.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: the Mechanimists at the bottom of Bethesda Susa just abruptly went nuts and murdered that Phinwhatever Hoshaia, High Priest of the Rock guy. They just started stabbing each other and then when the fight died down they all rushed the High Priest and killed the poo poo out of him. :confused:

As cool as this is, those scrap shovelers should probably be Mechanimist-aligned! Thanks for catching that.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, that's something I've complained about before, I think.

As an Esper, you have a very strong incentive to stack the gently caress out of Ego. All your powers will level up with you if you do, which means you can save your MP for unlocking even more powers, which will all get amped up as soon as you learn them from your insane Ego modifier. The drawback is that you aren't combat effective without your powers, but you'll be getting such good prices at shops you can afford to stockpile a few dozen grenades for emergencies.

As a Chimera, you have to split your stats between Str, Dex, and Con, and can't afford to unlock new powers because you're spending all your MP on your existing ones to keep them useful. You don't need to worry (as much) about cooldowns or getting ambushed, but whatever you took at character creation is all you can do forever and shopkeepers will be constantly ripping you off.

Esper balance is definitely on our radar. We just want to flesh out more regions and make some progress on the main plot first (among other things, like tinker revamp, faction enhancements, procedural settlements ,etc).

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

We can think about making True Kin useful after this is balanced (eta: 5 years)

Also on the radar!

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

The Heisenbook Uncertainty Principle.

:laugh:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

MrWillsauce posted:

I think I found a bug in the reputation system. I killed a legendary snapjaw who was loved by the villagers of Joppa for cooking them a splendid meal, and it actually increased my reputation with the villagers. I still lost reputation with the snapjaws, though.

Good catch! The rep values got flipped at some point for "admired" creatures. We'll post a fixed version today.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I mentioned this a while ago but it was never addressed

Ahh. Must have missed it. The 'good catch' applies to you, too.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

MrWillsauce posted:

I discovered that you can pick up the Mechanimists' sacred well and carry it around with you on your adventures. It only weighs one pound! You can just drop it down wherever and throw stuff into it to get some Mechanimist cred whenever you need it. No pilgrimage required!

Thank you for the entertaining patch note in next week's patch.

"You can no longer pick up the Sacred Well and waltz into the sunset."

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

I tried beguiling several equimaxen with the mutation more than high enough and upper 20s ego and couldn't get any to join. Beginning to think something's wrong.

What level are you? Player level has some effect. We gave equimaxen (nice plural) high willpowers since their power/ease of approaching ratio is high.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

We did add a chance for data disk merchants at the Stiltgrounds bazaar, so they're slightly less rare than before.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

I'm fixing this for Friday's patch. The baetyls won't request broken objects (mostly).

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Hey, I have a request for anyone with a character that's beaten Bethesda. Could you post or PM me all your reputation values greater than 0? A screenshot of your rep sorted by value would suffice. You'll be helping out with a rework to a main quest step, if you're curious. Thanks in advance!

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Saw these and thought of Qud :)

That's a Mechanimist philosopher if I've ever seen one.

Gonna throw my request out there again. Has anyone beaten Bethesda recently? Can you post or PM me a screenshot of your reputation values, sorted by number? THANKS.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

alecm posted:

Here's an album of the faction standings of a character I beat the main story with. I've also wander around a bit, but I don't think I've done a whole lot of pink mob killing. I hope it's useful!

What in the name of god did you do for the Issachari?

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Just for the record you're also taking rep values for people who ground up reputation with Mechanimists, right? Because otherwise I won't be able to contribute a whole lot :suicide:

Yes, that's totally fine.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I wonder if it was an equipment wonk, based on the flowers reputation. For a while there seemed to be some kind of flummery with equipment reputation bonuses - I was getting weird behaviour with my flower reputation when I equipped and removed a portable beehive. I'm thinking this could be the same situation but with an Issachari banner or something, depending on how old the character is.

Ah, k. That's certainly more likely than offering gift / killing just the right uniques 10 times.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you're willing to accept a loss in order to launder your water into more convenient currency, you could buy up incredibly expensive schematics and books.

I agree though, please add more types of jewelry and vendors that sell them. I want to wander around encrusted with gems and precious metals like some kind of psychic mutant Mr. T.

I can't really deny a request like this.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

It's not quite what you asked for, but...

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Jewel-encrusted armour should boost reputation with merchants and water barons.

That's true, isn't it? Water barons are an ostentatious lot.

I'm also motivated to add some gemstones, partly because I just love gemstones, and partly because I used to play an old EmlenMUD back in the 90s called Rites of Passage where gemstones featured prominently. That mud was the inspiration for the equipment color ANSI in Qud. It'll feel good to recreate some of those gemstones.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

S.T.C.A. posted:

Requesting that gifting water to a unique makes them neutral and/or that if they attack you first after giving them a gift, they get the curse of breaking the water bond, not you. Or that we can't gift water to hostiles, either way.

Yeah, Offer Gift will get another pass soon.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

Found the graveyard north of Joppa and the mysterious empty room..

Nice addition Unormal.

It's not always empty...

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Is depth 2 of the rusted archways supposed to turn into the Grit Gate in like half the games? (location isn't bugged at least)

Hmm. What's happening exactly?

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

Also, reloading a weapon with a chemcell in it should probably not bring up the replace cell window.

Why not?

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

While we're posting screenshots of the unfinished....

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lava-drenched Golgotha

ps i hope this extends to all floors

It will extend down Z levels, but we're thinking of keeping it out of major dungeons, since they have already have a bunch going on.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Unormal posted:

Mouse support getting real.

Sort of a mesmerizing gif.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

The fungal jungle is shaping up visually.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Raitzeno posted:

Ehhh... spores of one, hypha dozen of the other.

:aaa:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

• We made some optimizations to memory usage and saved games. NOTE: This patch breaks save compatibility. If you want to continue playing your old saves, switch to the 'previousstable' branch (Right-click Caves of Qud in your Steam library > Properties > Betas > select 'previousstable').
    • Reduced the size of saved games by about 80%!
    • Reduced the time to freeze and thaw zones by about 80%!
    • Reduced the size of frozen zone files by about 80%.
    • Reduced the save size of most underground levels by an extra 30% or so.
    • Greatly reduced the save overhead of commonly stacked inventory objects.
    • Reduced memory usage by about 75MB.
  • Added tiles for the following creatures.
    • pygmy forager
    • pygmy runt
    • pygmy blowgunner
    • pygmy stalker
    • chrome idol
    • cloneling
    • drillbot
    • honey skunk
    • agolzvuv
    • glow-wight cultist of Bethsaida
    • young ivory
    • seed-spitting vine
  • Added tiles for the following items.
    • nylon bodypack
    • copper wire
    • cybernetics credit wedge
    • light-obfuscating lens
    • amaranthine prism
    • symbiotic firefly
  • Fixed hostile creatures not appearing red in the alt overlay.
  • Molting basilisks and their husks no longer have different tiles.
  • Repaved the Coral Path with bricks.
  • Renamed 'Godshroom' to 'Eater's Flesh' and changed its tile.
  • Eater's fleshcaps are now harvestable with Master Harvestry.
  • Added an Eater's flesh patch to the center of the fungal jungle.
  • Added some human remains to the flesh patch.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

packetmantis posted:

What the hell

There's a reason for that.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

packetmantis posted:

FYI I'm making the Putus Templar as a custom nation in Stellaris and their symbol is the fasces.

>pick nose

ETA:

I love it. Perfect in every way, down to the woman's exclusionary sneer.

My Stellaris empire is called Condors of the Freehold Earth. :black101::black101::black101:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is not a thing I expected to say, but it feels like special cave biomes - specifically, slime and fungus - are a little too common.

Slime is just a slog (:haw:) and fungus can cause nontrivial amounts of character planning problems (and also really piss off the Phyta, for whatever that's worth).

Yeah, we're still tweaking the frequencies. We'll also continue to lower each biome's frequency as we add new ones, so you'll run into specific ones less often.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just found out you can dress up animal friends. Observe:

Between this and the short blades debuff I'm pretty sure I'm back to Espers for good.

A+ on naming that goat.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Don't know if it's been said, but that really owns.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

Thank you but I found the name Ctesippus and am getting mixed results for th- and hard K. I think Ctacean (Cetacean?) is latin and Ctesiphus sounds super greek so I dunno if that's where I would start. I'd like to request dev input.

I think I'm going to adopt a kitty.

Tessifus, there abouts.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Unormal posted:

After tonight's update adding scripting mods, the community is already burning the midnight oil.

*sweats profusely*

This is fine.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Hey, if any of you haven't reviewed Qud on Steam, please do! This is assuming you like the game. Otherwise, happily continue not reviewing.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Tollymain posted:

when did wikia go from being kind of bad to being more ad than site

also the caves of qud wiki is super incomplete and not very good in general

I'm hoping a motivated player will create a new wiki on a non-wikia site one day, and it generates the momentum needed to eclipse the wikia one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

I thought about the fungal stuff on my bike ride home from work and I think the reason I dislike it so much is that it feels like the cure for the infections requires a sort of meta-game wiki like knowledge or knowledge an advanced player has. I have played about 20 hours of Qud since buying it a month or so ago and I am really taken with the game. I feel I have an OK grasp on the mechanics but the infections just irk me such that if red rock has the fungal stuff I just restart the game, which is sad because I think some aspects of the fungal biome are really cool, like the weeps. When I first got glowcrust I had zero idea how to find the cure, I had to google it and discovered that this jungle village existed. I was immediately screwed because glowcrust meant I was essentially defenceless so I couldn't get there. Another time with glotrot I couldn't get the book of the ape guy because there was no way I could afford it. I think they present a big stumbling block and now, even though I know what to do if I get one, I will still restart the game instead of trying to cure the disease. All being said the infections are inventive, interesting and thematic, I love the concept, but the execution doesn't work for me. I should also note I am not a huge Roguelike player outside of genre classics like FTL and Minesweeper, but the theme of CoQ is what drew me in.

Thanks for the feedback; we'll definitely consider it. Can I ask, why did you feel defenseless with glowcrust? What slot did you have it on? It has some natural AV, so it's not meant to be debilitating.

Oh, I *did* just notice that the outcrop isn't growing its edible mushroom. Did the outcrop.... ever grow an edible mushroom for anyone?