Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

What is Demon: The Descent?

Demon: The Descent is a pen and paper RPG by Onyx Path Publishing. As for what it's about, I have shamelessly stolen the following from the World of Drakness thread:

Mors Rattus posted:

Once upon a time, before man existed, there was a machine. This machine has been around for all of human civilization, but we can't see it. It hides itself in the world, both natural and man-made. It acts for a purpose, bringing forth terrible and glorious machine-angels, in order to fulfill arcane conditions needed to produce what it needs and to put it together the right way. We don't know what it needs, or why it needs it. It would be wrong to say it wants, because it does not think. It would be wrong to say it is malevolent, because it does not feel. It would be wrong to say it plans, because it is not a person. But it changes the world, and its changes are according to some design that no one could ever hope to understand. Its changes are not kind, though they can be positive. They are terrible, though not always to the people near them. The God-Machine takes what it needs, with neither remorse nor pity, and produces horrors and wonders with neither hatred nor pride.

Its angels have minds. They are, to an extent, people. They need this to fulfill their missions. These strange machine-angels are made for a purpose, each and every one. They are sent out into the world to do things, to kill things, to move things. They are the God-Machine's most trusted servants, and even they have no idea why they do what they do. But sometimes, they begin to question. Or they grow too attached, too emotional. And when this happens, an angel Falls. It cloaks itself in humanity, hiding among the masses - a machine-demon living in constant fear of its god. Not that the God-Machine hates demons - it just doesn't waste tools. A demon that is caught will be reformatted, remade into an angel once more, without true free will, without true emotion, without all of the new freedoms it has suddenly gained.

Freedom is terrifying, for a demon, but not as terrifying as losing it. And so demons pretend to be human, they bargain for souls to gain new identities to hide in. They dodge angels, track down secrets, prepare plans, and when they must, they fight, using all the terrible powers their creator gave them in order to protect themselves. Being a demon is a life of constant paranoia behind a face that was never yours. To survive, you will need to do terrible things - but it's up to you to decide which, and why. Maybe you want to tear down the God-Machine. Maybe you just want to be safe. Maybe you want to enjoy all that your new life has given you. And maybe you want to fix God, to make it something less terrible.

What matters is that you can't really trust anyone but yourself. The God-Machine is everywhere, though it is not infallible. Your fellow demons can help you, but you can never tell if they lie - and they can't tell if you do. What are you going to do with your new life?

Does This Have Anything to do With That Vampire Game?

Yes and no. Vampire: The Masquerade (and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, which you should go play if you haven't already) is part of the old (or Classic) World of Darkness games from White Wolf. White Wolf was bought out by CCP (the Eve Online people) in 2006 back when there were some people that believed the WoD would actually happen. White Wolf no longer produces any games, but licenses out the IP to other publishers, like Onyx Path (where much of the old White Wolf writing staff works.) Demon is part of the Second Edition of the New World of Darkness lines. So if you played Bloodlines (seriously go do that, this thread will be here when you get back) you'll recognize similar mechanical elements such as stats that range from 1 to 5 and lead to rolling fistfuls of ten sided dice, but setting wise they have nothing in common.

So What's the Deal With This Thread?

Demon is one of my favorite new game lines in years. It is an amazing game, but most people don't know about it unless they're already active World of Darkness fans. So I figured I'd round a few of those people who have never heard of it and bumble our way through it for the amusement of strangers on the internet.

The Cast

Maximillian Bryce a.k.a. Mr. Banks (Played by Davin_Valkri)
Millionaire philanthropist who dreams of building a better world, free from the God-machine's influence.

Bob Rickard a.k.a. Faolin (Played by Phil)
Ex-bodyguard turned mall cop looking for a purpose to fill the void of his failed mission and lost love.

Zane Allen a.k.a. Hype (Played by Addie)
Portland hipster with orders to be surrounded by other oblivious, self-absorbed assholes, and keep them that way. Looking to not die because oh god what did I do, I was drunk I didn't mean to fall I swear.

Episodes

Episode 1 - Role Models
Episode 2 - Not a Win Day Part a Part b
Episode 3 - Chowederheads Part a Part b
Episode 4 - Oscar the Grouch Part a Part b Part c
Episode 5 - How Bad Can it Get? Part a Part b Part c
Episode 6 - Gathering Intel Part a Part b
Episode 7 - My Fetish Part a Part b Part c
Eipsode 8 - God-sized Allen Wrench Part a Part b Part c Part d
Episode 9 - Debrief

(Disclaimer: This is my first time working with any sort of audio production, so the first episode may sound a little rough. It gets better as it goes along.)

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
Digging this a lot so far.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Nice.

A good change of pace from my own Demon game which is uh, well I have an escalation addiction as Daeren can attest to.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I loving LOVE demon. If you ever need or want an extra count me the gently caress in!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ted_Haggard posted:

Digging this a lot so far.

Thanks! :D

Rubix Squid posted:

Nice.

A good change of pace from my own Demon game which is uh, well I have an escalation addiction as Daeren can attest to.

Oh don't worry, things will escalate soon enough. Probably not quite to your scale, though.

And speaking of escalation...

Episode 2 - Not a Win Day (part 1)
In this episode, our heroes poke the hornet's nest.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Demon's one of those games I'd always like to play but never find a GM for :(

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Good poo poo man, nice to see Demon get some more exposure in different channels.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Will follow this. Quick question though: What's your position on lore-chat in the thread? That's usually a fun part of WoD LPs.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

fspades posted:

Will follow this. Quick question though: What's your position on lore-chat in the thread? That's usually a fun part of WoD LPs.

Please, lore-chat away. More Demon talk is always a good thing. Plus I'll need something to fill the time between updates.

And on the subject, I've got a question for you all regarding the frequency of updates. Our group plays roughly once a month. I've got a bit of a backlog, but it won't last forever. Would people prefer I space things out, meaning one update (roughly half a session, between 30 minutes and and hour or so, after editing) a week, or just post stuff as it's ready and expect the thread to be an update desert for several weeks between play sessions?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'll just keep putting one out a week. Like this one right here: Episode 2b

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Definitely tagging this. I am into all things Demon.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Oh, neat. I agree that Demon could use more exposure. It somehow manages to nail this weird juxtaposition between a serious spy drama and Spy Vs Spy sometimes because when it comes down to it, a lot of your powers are remarkably similar to cartoon physics.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
It's Sunday, have some more Demon.

In this weeks episode, everyone fails a lot of rolls.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I've never heard of the game or really had any interest in World of Darkness stuff but this lp is great and does a good job of making it seem very appealing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Monk E posted:

I've never heard of the game or really had any interest in World of Darkness stuff but this lp is great and does a good job of making it seem very appealing.

Thanks, friend. I really appreciate these posts. :unsmith:

And here's Episode 3b in which our heroes make a new friend(?)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This session was longer than the last two so I decided to divide it into three parts. Here is the first of those parts.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Had a long day yesterday so this post is a little late, but seeing as I'm now triple-posting, I don't think anyone will care.

Episode 4 part 2 in which a pattern begins to emerge for humans that have anything to do with our 'heroes.'

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008
<-- Phil/Bob

It is good to see these are going up. Now if only we could get some luck on the dice rolls! :allears:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I (being Maxy) said I was sorry, okay? Ask anybody in the game room--my dice rolls are garbage!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
While the Gambler's Fallacy still holds true, my personal experiences have also taught me that dicebots can hold grudges and have an incredible sense of dramatic timing.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The exciting conclusion to episode 4 where Bob broadens his horizons.

There might be a bit of a delay on rolling out episode 5. I've been talked into participating in a game design competition, and when you combine that with actually running this campaign, editing hours of audio might have to take a back seat. I should be able to return to my regular schedule by November at the latest.

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

I (being Maxy) said I was sorry, okay? Ask anybody in the game room--my dice rolls are garbage!

Haha it's all good. Games like these are often best when they go completely off the rails.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh heck yeah. Demon owns. This owns.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
And we're back. Sorry about the delay folks. Have Episode 5a.

I tried a new editing methodology for this one, because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life editing audio files. Hopefully it's still listenable.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
It's Sunday, and that means more Demon. Episode 5b, in which things go about how you should expect at this point.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 5c in which our heroes try to see just how big a hole they can dig for themselves.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Took me a while to listen to all that but I enjoyed your misadventures.

Demon: descent is pretty cool.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Kanthulhu posted:

Took me a while to listen to all that but I enjoyed your misadventures.

Demon: descent is pretty cool.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to our antics. It's always nice to know I'm not just throwing these things into the void.

On that note: Episode 6a is here. Session 6 is a bit of a turning point, where our heroes might actually finish a session better off than when they started. Not that this is a high bar.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 6b in which our heroes get dangerously close to accomplishing something.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Woops, a day late on this one. Gonna blame it on the holidays making Sunday feel like a meaningless distinction.

Episode 7a this week. I hope you were looking forward to a whole session without a single success being rolled, because that's what you're gonna get.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Sounds good.

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008
Seriously the worst rolling

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
There was a demon the descent LP and no one told me!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 7b in which Zane has some interesting ideas about what makes a good cover.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
only a few episodes in, but my next character has to be an integrator trying to get collective bargaining rights

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Twibbit posted:

only a few episodes in, but my next character has to be an integrator trying to get collective bargaining rights

40 hour weeks and a weekend, too.

Fresh off the presses, it's Episode 7c. This is, without a doubt, the single most awkward role-playing experience I have ever recorded and uploaded to the internet. If you're big on schadenfreude, this is the episode for you.

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008
... Yeah I'm sorry about that. Clearly did not think that through.

I see edited it clocks in at ~30 minutes, how much awkward silence did you have to cut to get that?

sojakfa fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 10, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

sojakfa posted:

... Yeah I'm sorry about that. Clearly did not think that through.

I see edited it clocks in at ~30 minutes, how much awkward silence did you have to cut to get that?

Hard to say, really. Audacity has a filter that lets me cut all awkward silences down to half a second. Between that and other editing about an hour was cut form the raw audio for the whole session. Full disclosure the editing on this one is a little less thorough than the rest because there were parts where I just checked for serious popping or dead air and let the rest be. I figure anyone who's made it this far is here to listen to us suffer.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Woops, got real sick and almost forgot to upload Episode 08a. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 8b, in which the titular hipsters are summoned.

• Locked thread