Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

stoutfish posted:

i'm glad celebrities are running for president makes our country look well adjusted imo

i'd rather their brand of sociopathic rich people than the usual office-seekers' dementia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

stoutfish posted:

i'm glad celebrities are running for president makes our country look well adjusted imo

Hey. Manny Pacquiao is a congressman. :shrug:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Enrique Iglesias posted:

I like that*

(*Previous comment featured Pitbull)

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

I've spent years defending this is classrooms and position papers. Literally going "off-script" was the morally right thing to do, since to do otherwise would be to legitimize the ongoing terrible response of the administration to the tragedy.

In his autobiography George Bush cited Kayne's comment and accusations of racism in general post-Katrina as being the worst moment of his presidency, which is just one more crazy thing he said as the president who presided over 9/11.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Kanye West/Vermin Supreme '20.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will support Kanye in his 2020 run. I sincerely want him to be president of the United States.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kanye/Funny Valentine 2020.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Why 2020 though?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

memy posted:

Why 2020 though?

He's not old enough to be eligible this time around.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

EugeneJ posted:

And Trump is honestly a B-List celebrity. If Jay-Z said he was running for President tomorrow...that's a wrap.

Jay-Z would unironically be a better present than most of the current candidates.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Congrats America on finding a Presidential candidate who'd be even more dumb and inept than Trump.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kanye is just the first to come out in Jay Z's new line of Roc a Fella Democrats

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sanders/Z I say for 2016. Give Kanye a cabinet position somewhere to prime him for a 2020 or 2024 run

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

mdemone posted:

He's not old enough to be eligible this time around.

Yes he is

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh. I just kind of assumed that's why he was saying 2020 instead of 2016. I hadn't realized how old we've all gotten in the last 10 years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I look forward to 4 years of Presidential Apprentice followed by 4 years of Keeping Up With The First Lady.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

mdemone posted:

Oh. I just kind of assumed that's why he was saying 2020 instead of 2016. I hadn't realized how old we've all gotten in the last 10 years.

S'okay, I only knew that because I made the same initial assumption and had to look it up.

My best guess is that, as with everything else Kanye Westt has ever said, he was being 100% sincere and actually wants to legit run for President. He's cognizant enough to know that it's way, way to late for him to get in the game right now and have the kind of impact he wants to have. He probably saw Donald loving Trump being broadcast to millions of people while sharing a debate stage and thought, "Woah, I want to do that." And really, he probably can, if 2016 has taught us anything. There's a good chance that four years from now we'll all be shoving popcorn into our faces while we watch Kanye West debating with a flabbergasted Elizabeth Warren, and beating her in every poll leading up to Iowa, all while the world continues to burn.

Besides, Kanye's already got the Jesus endorsement locked down.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've got nothing against kanye but he needs to learn to keep the hubris under control or it will destroy him. Someone needsbto tour him through Neverland ranch and the ruins of MJ's life or something like that. Maybe he'll get the hint.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Nathilus posted:

I've got nothing against kanye but he needs to learn to keep the hubris under control or it will destroy him. Someone needsbto tour him through Neverland ranch and the ruins of MJ's life or something like that. Maybe he'll get the hint.

To be fair, Kanye's mistakes are amusing even if they're cringe-worthy, whereas MJ's problems were creepy as hell.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

To be fair, Kanye's mistakes are amusing even if they're cringe-worthy, whereas MJ's problems were creepy as hell.

True but it strikes me as a difference in degree rather than of kind. Probable sexual abuse fits into the MJ picture and not the kanye one, but its the overwhelming pride that makes really rich and famous fucks think they can get away with anything. And kanye certainly has that. He thinks he's gods gift to mankind, lol.

I almost died laughing when I first saw the video for "power". Motherfucker thinks he's Alexander the great. Pride goeth before destruction.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Why does one of the most successful musicians in history have to be humble?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Red Bones posted:

Dude, I like Kanye as much as the next guy, but "one of the most successful musicians in history" is about four yards out of the strike zone.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Nathilus posted:

Motherfucker thinks he's Alexander the great.

he's much better, really

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

mdemone posted:

Dude, I like Kanye as much as the next guy, but "one of the most successful musicians in history" is about four yards out of the strike zone.

actually he is

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

like the 10 years between the blueprint and my twisted fantasy were basically the definition of massive, absolute top tier success

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tbh even setting aside any critical acclaim, when you hit that level of financial success, when you've sold over a hundred million copies of your music, why shouldn't you be proud? He's made something and millions and millions of people want to buy it. He's reacted far more rationally to that level of success than anyone who tries to be humble about it would be, imo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Red Bones posted:

It has nothing to do with humility. He doesn't need to be humble he just needs to not feed the hubris. Plenty of stars have avoided doing so while not being particularly humble. Its about not letting poo poo go to your head because doing so is a defect and gets you in tons of trouble.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Nathilus posted:

It has nothing to do with humility. He doesn't need to be humble he just needs to not feed the hubris. Plenty of stars have avoided doing so while not being particularly humble. Its about not letting poo poo go to your head because doing so is a defect and gets you in tons of trouble.

yeah getting in trouble has been really bad for kanye's life and career I agree

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Nathilus posted:

I almost died laughing when I first saw the video for "power". Motherfucker thinks he's Alexander the great. Pride goeth before destruction.

And a haughty spirit before a fall.

As long as the fall doesn't involve massive doses of prescription drugs, plastic surgery or being snuggle-buddies with little kids, it will at least be an amusing fall is what I'm saying.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Are there any white artists who need to get their ego in check like Kanye does?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Because even a very successful musician is only a musician, an entertainer whose function is to make someone's idle time a little less boring. If he died tomorrow the world would lose nothing of importance. Maybe if he did something important outside of music it would be a different story, but he doesn't. And I say this as someone who actually enjoys his music.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Kellsterik posted:

Only most of them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Kellsterik posted:

Because, like the Greek heroes of old, he is still a mortal man and must one day die.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

If a rap man is going to run for president I think it should be MC Ride

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hodgepodge posted:

Because, like the Greek heroes of old, he is still a mortal man and must one day die.

Kanye/Odysseus 2020

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Toadstrieb posted:

If a rap man is going to run for president I think it should be MC Ride

Death grips loving sucks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
This is all I think about when people talk about how Kanye needs to calm down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lndlgWFcc6Q&t=92s

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Death grips loving sucks.

hope you dont vote m8

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Nathilus posted:

The best thing about Kanye West is the hubris. It's why he obsesses about MJ so much. After the Taylor Swift incident, he came back to the public eye with Runaway at the VMAs. The whole MBDTF album is simultaneously a celebration of and a self-critical apology for his ego and it's his best work yet. When he said this summer that he was the biggest rockstar in the world, he wasn't wrong. The fact that he doesn't make rock music is only a minor point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Bono is a great example of someone who is egotistic as all hell, and used to get a lot of poo poo when that boiled over into hubris.

• Locked thread