Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Caterina de Mauro

Caterina seethes between her teeth as an arrowhead sinks into her arm. "drat it all, I'm better than this."

The bandit's arrow has struck a painful gash, but failed to pierce very deeply through her armor. Her deadly aim remains unfazed. With her unwounded limb she plucks a bolt from her quiver and loads it in her weapon with bloody-minded precision. Half-a-second later, the low thrum of a bowstring sends iron death hurtling back towards her enemy's skull.

Heavy Crossbow Attack (1d100+69-8): 160 With a 99 on the dice that breaks the damage caps, too. That is one dead bandit.

EDIT: Also got a 42 for my 96-100 result's extra roll. Not that it matters much.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Point of clarification: I'm using the Hack & Slash book (which you should have) for the damage tables, and that was a natural 99 so you get to roll again, but even just 160 minus the Bandit's 40 DB results in "severed artery, foe is stunned and dies in 10 rounds".

EDIT: Adding another 42 from your roll kicks it up to instant death as the bandit's skull is ventilated by your crossbow bolt.

And yes, this is why I wanted to run this system.

Declare your actions for round 2, plus initiative, plus any rolls associated with your actions.

pre:
Bandit 1: 61/70 hits
Bandit 2: 70/70 hits
Bandit 3: DEAD

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Dominikos

With a scowl, Dominikos starts another chant (kuqa kark emksomsrae). He finishes the gestures, and with an exhaled breath disappears from the back of his horse and appears closer to the combatants.

Casting Long Door (5 PP). Target location is next to camel on top right in the diagram, about equidistant from two bandits (the one near the middle camel and the one facing the top guard). I think that should be within the 100' range of the spell.

Initiative: 1d10+9 14
Long Door: 1d100+49 63

PP: 63/94

Where can we get Hack & Slash? As far as I can tell they don't sell the PDF anywhere.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 20, 2015

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

Asbjørn Voldtektog 23

The northman promptly dismounts his steed, sword in hand and heads deftly for the bow-wielding bandit. His stance belies his readiness for the melee to come.

"Fight me, that you might join your ancestors in death!" he bellows with a wide smile behind his unkempt beard, "Or whatever devils spawned you."

His blade falls heavily with the might of his conviction behind it.

Langseax 1H Slash 1d100+90 167

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Caterina de Mauro

As the bowman's body realizes it's died and crumples into the sand, Caterina takes to binding her wound. Before she can begin wrapping the gash, however, a sudden spasm in her arm jars the arrowhead.

"Ngah, to hell with this horse-poo poo!" The all-too-familiar feeling of torn flesh slackens her grip, her crossbow dangling loosely at her side.

Healing Roll (1d100+22): 24 aaand that's a fumble on a natural 2. Hooray.

Fumble Roll (1d100): 42 Healing seems like a Physical fumble, but I'm not using a tool; result's up to you, gradenko.

EDIT: Next initiative roll is 17

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 22, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wtsnaename posted:

Asbjørn Voldtektog 23

The northman promptly dismounts his steed, sword in hand and heads deftly for the bow-wielding bandit. His stance belies his readiness for the melee to come.

"Fight me, that you might join your ancestors in death!" he bellows with a wide smile behind his unkempt beard, "Or whatever devils spawned you."

His blade falls heavily with the might of his conviction behind it.

Langseax 1H Slash 1d100+90 167

We reroll initiative with every round. Also, Caterina shot dead the bow-wielding bandit, so are you going to engage the sword-wielding bandits instead? Are you shifting any OB to parry or taking any other combat action?

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Sorry, wasnt quite sure who Cat targetted. So change that to whoever looks like the strongest remaining combatant and whoever else if it comes down to engaging more than one if I need to. And no, just the attack.

wtsnaename fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 22, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Asbjorn's initiative: 1d10+17=19
Bandit initiative: 1d10+15=25; 1d10+15=23

Initiative order:

Bandit 1: 25
Bandit 2: 23
Asbjorn: 19
Dominikos: 14
Caterina: not taking part directly in combat for now, not needed

The first bandit swings at Asbjorn, but the sword can find no purchase in the Norseman's thick armor.

The second bandit tries his best to defend against Asbjorn's blade, but its batted away as if it wasn't there and cuts deep into the man's shoulder.

Dominikos' spell doesn't go quite as planned, and his teleportation leaves him short, actually just a few steps away from the melee going on.

Caterina tries to bandage herself, but as her arm jerks, she makes the wound worse.

1. Bandit 1 attacks Asbjorn: 1d100+40-90 = -7, miss
2. Bandit 2 does a full parry: 1d100 = 32, success, DB increased by 50
3. Asbjorn's strike against Bandit 2: 167 - (40 + 50) = 77, 16 hits in damage, +14 hits in damage, stunned 3 rounds, bleeding for 3 hits per round, -30 penalty
4. Caterina's fumble damage: 1d10 = 10, 10 hits in damage

pre:
Bandit 1: 61/70 hits
Bandit 2: 40/70 hits, stunned 3 rounds, bleeding 3/round, -30 penalty
Declare your actions for round 3, roll initiative, plus any rolls associated with your actions.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Caterina de Mauro | 48/70 hits, bleeding 1/turn

Caterina, hunched slightly from her wound, lodges her boot into the crossbow's stirrup with a dull clank. With eyes tilted up and primed for threats, she grips the string with chain-clad fingers and pulls back with steady ragged breaths. Blood drips into the sand beneath her wound, thoroughly ignored.

I'm far enough that I'll reload for the next five rounds, bleeding be damned. Asbjorn can heal me later.
-Can I roll Perception to do something in the process?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bendigeidfran posted:

-Can I roll Perception to do something in the process?

Go for it. What did you have in mind?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Caterina de Mauro | 48/70 hits, bleeding 1/turn

Keen eyes study the battle going on next to the company's. From her vantage point, every brutal strike of their fight is seen as clear as day; will their allies stand or collapse?

Perception on Caravan Guards (1d100+37): 125
I'm looking to see if the guards' leader (maybe Marcel the caravan master?) is still alive. If they're dead that's a problem. Also checking to see where the unarmed members of the caravan might have gone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From the description Emilie gave you, you recognize Marcel as one of the men engaged with the other bandits. They're wounded but not dead, and they're giving as good as they get.

Off to the left-hand edge of the battle, you see tracks - the rest of the party musy have fled while Marcel and his men fought a delaying action.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Dominikos | PP: 63/94

"Whoreson!" Dominikos chops his hands at the non-stunned bandit, spitting bad seka muv at him.

Initiative: 1d10+12 13
Casting Sleep: 1d100+49 128

Turns out I was adding wrong; Init is +12 not +9. Ah well, wouldn't have particularly made a difference. Casting Sleep on the non-stunned bandit. I'm a bit confused--we're going after the bandits that are *not* in melee with the guards, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hypnobeard posted:

I'm a bit confused--we're going after the bandits that are *not* in melee with the guards, right?

Yes, those are who you're fighting as of the moment.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

Asbjørn Voldtektog 14

A puzzled expression leaps to Asbjørn's face as his blade is stopped by muscle and bone. With little effort he removes his langseax from the reeling man and goes for a killing blow.

"Your days end as it was foretold, my puny friends, for I bring upon you Ragnarok!"

His attention quickly starts upon those few engaged with the guards. Perhaps it was their time, as well.

Attack Vs. Bandit 2: 1d100+90 124

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bandit initiative: 1d10+15=21; 1d10+15=19

Initiative order:

Bandit 1: 21
Bandit 2: 19
Asbjorn: 14
Dominikos: 13
Caterina: not taking part directly in combat this turn. Looked around and reloaded her crossbow. 4 more rounds to reload.

The first bandit attacks again and manages to nick Asbjorn, dealing 2 hits of damage

The second bandit bleeds out and takes 3 hits. He's stunned, so he can't do anything except try and parry Asbjorn's coming sword, and weakly at that.

The Norseman's sword finds purchase again, this time slicing right into the man's pectorals and turning more of the sand a bright crimson.

Dominikos weaves his spell skillfully, if also loudly, and puts to sleep his second victim today.

1. Bandit 1 attacks Asbjorn: 1d100+40-90=15
2. Bandit 2 does a stunned parry: 1d100=73, success, DB increased by 25
3. Asbjorn's strike against Bandit 2: 124 - (30 + 25) = 69, 14 hits in damage, +12 hits in damage, additional 2 rounds of stun, additional 2 bleed/round, additional -25 penalty
4. Sleep roll of 128 requires a Magic RR of 130. Bandit 1's Magic RR: 1d100+30=99, failed. Bandit 1 falls asleep for 10 rounds.

pre:
Bandit 1: 61/70 hits, asleep for 10 rounds
Bandit 2: 11/70 hits, stunned 4 rounds, bleeding 5/round, -55 penalty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Asbjorn, you can finish off the other remaining (barely) upright Bandit this round. Don't need to roll to attack, just describe to us how you do it.

Caterina and Dominikos, what do you do for round 4? How will you help the guards?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Dominikos | PP: 58/94

"Caterina? Perhaps a tastefully diplomatic suggestion to the bandits that they should surrender now unless they'd rather share their companion's fate?"

He starts moving his hands, mimicking spellcasting.

No action this round, let's see if they'll surrender to us.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Caterina de Mauro | 47/70 hits, bleeding 1/turn

Caterina shouts back in brusque Greek. "Easy for you to say, I could try a port-side slum's worth of tongues before they get the idea." The thought of their French would-be bandits makes her grimace like she's smelled something rotten. But eventually she turns her head and spits into the sand with a sound of irritated agreement.

"Ah the devil with it, it's worth a try." She raises her helmeted head in the air and proclaims in French, Latin, and Arabic in turn. "Listen well, you lot. Keep struggling to steal that caravan and we'll paint the sands in your innards. Stop now and I swear we'll let you live."

"Do you hear me? Those stinking camels aren't worth your lives. Lay down your arms or you will be buried in this desert. "

Should I make a Public Speaking roll for this?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bendigeidfran posted:

Should I make a Public Speaking roll for this?

Yes, but I'll give you a bonus on how convincingly Asbjorn makes his case for their surrender, with extreme prejudice

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

Asbjørn Voldtektog 14

"Buried in this desert?" Asbjørn pauses his assault briefly, milling the words, he scoffs. "No."

He buries a gargantuan hand into the wound left by his langseax in the man's chest; gritting his teeth and staring deeply into the man's eyes. The fresh coppery aroma of blood wafting and dripping from his now sanguine beard does little to mask the stench of ale and rotten meat on his breath. Fishing through the man's ribs he grabs a slippery sac, and his yellowed teeth unveil themselves behind his curling lips.

"BUT STREWN ABOUT IT!"

He bellows, tearing the man's lung through the gap broken into his ribs. The bandit's pulmonary system quivers as his final breath is drawn, lung hanging limply from his chest, barely still connected to a visible heart which beats its last. The man falls ungracefully to the sand.

Asbjørn's eyes meet those engaged with the caravan; and Hell burns behind them.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Public Speaking (1d100+18): 62

something tells me they aren't going to stick around after that. They'd certainly drop their weapons, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, that little demonstration by Asbjorn scares the living daylights out of the other bandits, and they make a break for it. Marcel even catches a break and hamstrings, and then impales the bandit he's fighting as they made their break.

They turn toward you. You can see they're all wounded, Marcel with a cut along his arm, his right-hand man with a nasty gash along the forehead and the last guard clutching her rib painfully. Still, they manage a wave and weak smiles.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Caterina de Mauro | 46/70 hits

As the red mist settles over the slain bandits, Caterina drags herself onto her horse and trots up to the guards. She returns their small wave with a great sweeping one, carrying a satisfied grin untroubled by her wounds. Her French is hoarse but triumphant.

"Emilie picked us tough, didn't she? Sorry bastards never had a chance." Gripping one hand on the reins, she deftly kicks a leg over her mount and drops herself onto the ground. Sand scatters as she lands, and she meets Marcel with a look of genuine sympathy. "Odds are good that we can cut apart this bandit problem at the source, with what we've found out. Seems like some gutter-crawling snake of a man's out hiring these pests. Gutting him will do us all a favor."

While she's talking her eyes follow the wounds crossing their bodies. "Now you see that huge bloody friend of ours?" A loose hand gestures towards Asbjorn. "He should be able to patch us up as well as he tears men apart. Asbjorn, would you give these warriors the strength to fight anew?"

Sorry for the delay, it's been a rough week. And you know this damage would take months to heal normally, but thank Odin we have a cleric.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

Asbjørn Voldtektog

Asbjorn sets about taking the proper time to cast a healing spell on all who need it, and twice on Caterina.

5 PP/ea if you could get back with how much that ends up being.

Also: I like this system a lot, but I'm having trouble with the setting and pace. Maybe it's just me? If so I'll suck it up. Or maybe we could revisit how we're going about this?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

wtsnaename posted:

5 PP/ea if you could get back with how much that ends up being.

Also: I like this system a lot, but I'm having trouble with the setting and pace. Maybe it's just me? If so I'll suck it up. Or maybe we could revisit how we're going about this?

I do see the different languages being a problem. At the moment Dominikos can't speak with most of the people we've met, and I can see Asbjorn having a similar issue. That also restricts pace in its own way, since we can't move situations forward as often. We could change the setting to have a "Common" language to help things along?

It's less flavorful but I think it'll help with some trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If everyone's on board we can switch to everyone being able to understand everyone else via Common, unless "dramatically appropriate" or something.

And yeah if you have any feedback, please just let me know so we can work on it. I kind of thought that being a stickler for the combat rules might be slow given how short a round is, so if you have any ideas, I'm more than happy to discuss.

===

Marcel snaps off a salute to Asbjorn as their wounds are healed. He sends off one of the men to reconnect with the rest of the caravan members that have fled.

"We owe you our lives, friends. Praise be! I'll be sure to put in a good word with Emilie for you. I think we can manage from here on out"

[if you want to spend more time on this scene, you could, or we can skip straight to Emilie's office, or even the city if you want to track down the bandit's lord before reporting to her]

• Locked thread