Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Congratulations fjelltorsk on beating the poo poo out of cancer and continuing to have an awe-inspiring life!

Computer chat: I'm learning about registers and assembly language in my class and my mind is being blown. Tell me all of the related poo poo because wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

its still august you chode

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Not in my anime dreams where I live in Japan as an otaku.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
it's still Anal August, op.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Let's all point and laugh at Adiabatic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, new thread is based off of GMT or Eastern, you idiot.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Who the gently caress cares? Start off the chat thread on the right key. Congrats to our one-balled wonder!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ssjonizuka posted:

Who the gently caress cares?

nah we must mock the time zone wrongposter

ssjonizuka posted:

Start off the chat thread on the right key. Congrats to our one-balled wonder!

this is p correct tho

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Adiabatic posted:

Computer chat: I'm learning about registers and assembly language in my class and my mind is being blown. Tell me all of the related poo poo because wow.

What platform? It doesn't really matter because they tend to work similarly, but there are strange things about different architectures. Memory addressing in real mode x86 segment:offset is kind of neat (when first starting out): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8694950/how-does-the-segmentoffset-addressing-scheme-work

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Adiabatic posted:

Congratulations fjelltorsk on beating the poo poo out of cancer and continuing to have an awe-inspiring life!

I love you guys, and i dont really think my life is very awsome, i just have a habit of doing what i want if i can find the time to do it....

speaking of time, its still august

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:justpost:

TwoFire posted:

What platform? It doesn't really matter because they tend to work similarly, but there are strange things about different architectures. Memory addressing in real mode x86 segment:offset is kind of neat (when first starting out): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8694950/how-does-the-segmentoffset-addressing-scheme-work

ARM Cortex-M3 is the one they have us learning. As far as kastein and I have discussed, it differs from x86 quite a bit and does this weird thing (it's probably not actually weird, just new to me) where it has an instruction shift of 16b on a 32b machine. You just point to the second half constantly.

fjelltorsk posted:

speaking of time, its still august

:sun:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adiabatic posted:

ARM Cortex-M3 is the one they have us learning. As far as kastein and I have discussed, it differs from x86 quite a bit and does this weird thing (it's probably not actually weird, just new to me) where it has an instruction shift of 16b on a 32b machine. You just point to the second half constantly.

Typical behavior of someone who gets by with their boyish charms.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Got a coupon for a cheaper-than-I've-found-elsewhere alignment at a Firestone down the road a bit. I can't wait until they do the inspection of the car and give me the list of things that need fixing so I can do them myself :clint:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I refuse to post in this thread until its September.
Crap.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I forgot who recommended the book "Poorly Made in China" but I just binged it. While not a milestone in the literature, it was pretty entertaining and worth a read. Also slightly scary, I'm ready to dispose of a few choice items in my household right about now...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Learn about FPGAs and prepare to have your mind atomized.

Adiabatic posted:

You know those tiny, tiny, $30 Quadcopters you can find at the Wal-Mart?

They run an Arm Cortex M0. I've been trying to figure out how to patch into them so I can integrate sensors and better comms.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 31, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
FPGAs are basically the linear algebra of logic based electronics.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just had a panic attack about an hour ago. I visited the medical coordinator here at work and she took my blood pressure, 142/114. :stare:

20 minutes later it was down to 132/92 which is a bit more normal for me, but it's still scary as poo poo. My last panic attack was in April (I keep a log).

Anybody else have panic attacks? Nothing seems to trigger them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

gently caress this fake September thread started in August. Get in line, Adiabatic. :colbert:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

CornHolio posted:

I just had a panic attack about an hour ago. I visited the medical coordinator here at work and she took my blood pressure, 142/114. :stare:

20 minutes later it was down to 132/92 which is a bit more normal for me, but it's still scary as poo poo. My last panic attack was in April (I keep a log).

Anybody else have panic attacks? Nothing seems to trigger them.

I do, and the dumbest poo poo will trigger them. The first one I had was so bad I went to emergency care because I thought I was having a heart attack. That was almost a year ago. Since then I've had them relatively often but never as bad as the first one.

I've had completely crazy stress filled days where I'm fine, but then a week later something as simple as calling to order food or having a hangover after a Friday night NEAI hangout will trigger them. The doctor gave me meds to control them but I have to watch myself with them being benzos and all.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

gently caress this fake September thread started in August. Get in line, Adiabatic. :colbert:

You okay, buddy? Wanna talk about it?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also it's probably been posted here before, but I happened across this in BFC and it's hilarious: http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaking of cancer and awesomeness, this video appeared the other day and the guy in it is a friend of a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lj_gFyI1Qs

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Also it's probably been posted here before, but I happened across this in BFC and it's hilarious: http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

I know what I'm doing until 5 PM.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

You okay, buddy? Wanna talk about it?

Oh you think you're all funny and beer-y with your beer avatar. Cheater.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free. there is no evidence of mutation anywhere in my body. i am done....
76 doses of chemo, 6 surgeries and 184 radiation treatments is behind me...
drat man congratulations, you seem to have made it through in really good spirits and without it completely loving up your body for the long term. Well done, go get drunk several more times.

T-Square posted:

A new indoor electric kart racing place just opened up down the street from me a few weeks ago, exactly the same thing as a K1 Speed, if anyone's familiar with it. Same karts and everything. Every time you go in there, all you hear is "Dude I'm going to spin you out right away" "Duuude I'm going to smash into you so hard!"
Next time I'm in the area I'll let you know. We'll race the hell out of some karts.

Pham Nuwen posted:

HPC is super boring though, hope you like tweaking the same set of loving PDEs for your entire career! If you want something more interesting you can work on the operating systems or programming models, but the problem is all the application programmers have their 20 year old FORTRAN+C MPI codes that they'll never ever re-write so you have to support legacy bullshit forever.
HPC is fun if you're the monkey breaking and fixing the hardware. Enough downtime it doesn't suck but enough variety it's always interesting.

So Gingerman in Michigan was one hell of a weekend. 9 hour race Saturday, I drove 7 hours and we took first. 7 hour Sunday and we managed a third thanks to attrition. Best weekend we've ever had and the new engine ran great with the track day break-in on Friday. We discovered removing the rear swaybar helped a lot and that I'm fast as poo poo in the rain...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sex tag and no sex?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Noise Complaint posted:

I do, and the dumbest poo poo will trigger them. The first one I had was so bad I went to emergency care because I thought I was having a heart attack. That was almost a year ago. Since then I've had them relatively often but never as bad as the first one.

I've had completely crazy stress filled days where I'm fine, but then a week later something as simple as calling to order food or having a hangover after a Friday night NEAI hangout will trigger them. The doctor gave me meds to control them but I have to watch myself with them being benzos and all.

I've gone to Medpoint (like an ER, but slightly less ER-y) at least three or four times over them in the past several years. I've had EKGs done, a heart sonogram done, chest X-rays, you name it... each time I know it's a panic attack, but it feels like I'm having a goddamn heart attack and it's scary and that only makes the panic attack worse.

Thankfully today I just went down and sat with the nice nurse we have here, and I was fine after awhile. But still. goddamn.

a friend suggested fish oil, I may look into that.

leica posted:

Sex tag and no sex?

Not for you, no.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Not for you, no.

:smith:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What idiot lives in such a backwards shithole that it's not September?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What idiot lives in such a backwards shithole that it's not September?

Hi! :wave:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

WOOOOOW I'M LIVING IN THE FUTUUUUUUUUURE! So this is what it's like, huh? I like the lawn, it's back to green again from last seasons brown and hollllly shiiiiiit, a sex robot!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

CornHolio posted:

I've gone to Medpoint (like an ER, but slightly less ER-y) at least three or four times over them in the past several years. I've had EKGs done, a heart sonogram done, chest X-rays, you name it... each time I know it's a panic attack, but it feels like I'm having a goddamn heart attack and it's scary and that only makes the panic attack worse.

Thankfully today I just went down and sat with the nice nurse we have here, and I was fine after awhile. But still. goddamn.

a friend suggested fish oil, I may look into that.

I went to the ER about a month ago for what I thought was a heart attack and ended up being a panic attack. poo poo's scary, yo. The worst part is that I calmed down about five minutes after they stuck an IV in me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Since it's September already in undesirable parts of the world, that means it's time for the return of the Sheep Game!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

8:50am on the 1st of September. Catch up, the rest of the world.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not yet jerks :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

leica posted:

Not yet jerks :colbert:

Yes it is. :boonie:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

00.33am here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Magnus Praeda posted:

I went to the ER about a month ago for what I thought was a heart attack and ended up being a panic attack. poo poo's scary, yo. The worst part is that I calmed down about five minutes after they stuck an IV in me.

Yeah cause that IV probably had some Ativan in it, heh. That's what I got. I went from full on freakout to "uh, why am I here" in minutes my first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

I'm stuck. I've got a bunch of buttcoins, but all of the exchanges have shut down, and all I can do on the darknet to buy drugs. How do you actually get money out of this thing?

• Locked thread