Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

null-hawk

"Alright guys, I haven't heard anything on the wire about an attack on this house, but you all know that doesn't mean much. Admin on a system even as pitiful as this could mean access to other critical systems, so we need to get in and out quick. Lets do it."

Walking up to the front door, null-hawk pulls out a pouch, and unrolls a set of fine locksmith tools.

"Lets get to cracking, anybody have anything that could help with this decryption?"

Using my trick: Gaining Entry to attempt to open the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

null-hawk

"Right, that helps a lot. Lets see if I can finish this job with some skilled hands rather than some brute force. "

Walking up to the front door, null-hawk pulls out a pouch, and unrolls a set of fine locksmith tools.

Whoops, got it. Lets forget the trick then and just use Infiltrate: 1d6 6

Nice!

As the door quietly opens from null-hawk's deft fingers, he quickly slips his hand inside and unhooks the alarm tripwire cartoon string that he knows would be there. "Can't let anyone know we're coming, now can we", null-hawk seems to smile at the others beneath his hoodie as he shows them the eccentric red string in this otherwise dull grey world.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

null-hawk

"Hmm, cause of death, cause of death, lesse if its in my notes somewhere..." null-hawk pull out a large leatherbound book out of a suspiciously small pocket and whips out a cartoonishly large feather pen as he starts flipping pages and looking at the strange writing on the pages.

Research: 1d6 5

"Ah yes, here's the entry I have for him..., John Rutherford, aka JonTheBon. Admin of ToonTown since .5AR. A reliable admin in a fairly kid friendly area of InfiniNet. Hmm, most of this is general background stuff. Ah, here it is. Death."

I thought the "not tripping the alarm" was my bonus? Is it a mechanical bonus, or can it be narrative as well?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

null-hawk

"So stress related death, missing files, and increased activity leading up to his death. What do you think the odds of him being compromised or blackmailed are?"

null-hawk pulls out his book again and sees if he can get the local system files.

"Why don't we try to access the node logs and find out the metadata for the files that were took, filenames, creation dates, anything that can help us figure out what it was?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

null-hawk

"Don't trust Mickey Mouse? Why does that sound familiar...?"

Pulling out his notebook again, hawk flips through page after page, looking back.

"Ah, here we go. Looks like Mickey Mouse was the name of an advanced piece of malware that was almost able to pass the turing test. Near AI quality intelligence. It was supposed to be able to take over a cluster, back when those things were more plentiful, and use that processing power to infect others. I think it was designed by some grad kid who wanted to make an AI. Why would it be here though? That was a few decades or more ago."

Walking over to the red door, null-hawk knocks on it. The door seems to shudder as he does so. "Wow, this might be above my skill level at cracking, but I can give it a go, I guess"

Infiltrate: 1d6 2

• Locked thread