Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

Senjougahara apparently singing Futakotome worse than Araragi singing Chocolate Insomnia despite her voice actress being the one who sings that song was hilarious.

Im speculating she was just chocking because she wanted to get her drat wish out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Senjougahara is second best girl

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ending to the date may have been the best moment in Monogatari to date.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Ending to the date may have been the best moment in Monogatari to date.
Better than the stargazing scene 8 years ago?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Iretep posted:

Im speculating she was just chocking because she wanted to get her drat wish out

I thought she was intentionally flubbing until the end of the date, and then it all came together.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is it me or did the subs of this little part not make very much sense

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Grouchio posted:

Better than the stargazing scene 8 years ago?
Look I don't write the rules, I just call 'em as I see 'em.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Davincie posted:

I find that most of the script doesn't make sense. I try to strain the plot out of the philosophical gibberish.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i think i say this every season but that was the best OP yet

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Davincie posted:

It's some impressively bad grammar, though the meaning is still clear enough. She didn't expect Shinobu to get her powers back.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Davincie posted:

Oh dear, is that the only instance of Crunchysubs? Should I be waiting for fansubs to ride to the rescue?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

when you're mashing through text you get paid little to translate, wore and were are easy mistakes to make, I bet.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh for sure. not passing judgement, just want to know if I should be patient

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

most of it isn't fantastic, but thats the worst line

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Just finished the parts that are out. It was pretty great except for a couple of the monologues going on for way too long (corpse guy that I barely remembered and really could care less about comes to mind).

So what do you think is so important to Ougi that she'd be willing to die for it? Given what she calls herself, I kind of suspect it's related to Oshino Meme

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Knorth posted:

Oh dear, is that the only instance of Crunchysubs? Should I be waiting for fansubs to ride to the rescue?

Most of the official subs of Monogatari are really bad. And anything that is usually translated by Aniplex is really bad.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I am unironically hyped for my boy Araragi Koyomi to deconstruct the ideological basis of this conflict.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dzhay posted:

I am unironically hyped for my boy Araragi Koyomi to deconstruct the ideological basis of this conflict.
My fave part of Hitagi End was Kaiki literally calling him out for being a dumb meddling kid when he should stay the gently caress away if he's just gonna make things worse. Maybe ze' Arararararararagi finally learned something?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Haven't posted here in quite a while. The Kizu movies were alright but I absolutely prefer the book over the movies. I wouldn't pick one over the other but I really enjoy reading Araragi's inner narrations in the books.
The main story being "done" after today's episode felt satisfying to me but I hope Shaft will continue to cover the side stories and epilogue stuff Nisio Isin has been writing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How long was the OVA in total?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

How long was the OVA in total?

like 2 and a half hours or so

not watched the one released today yet but I know it clocks in at around 1 hour 5

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Senjougahara apparently singing Futakotome worse than Araragi singing Chocolate Insomnia despite her voice actress being the one who sings that song was hilarious.

I want to hear him singing it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, OK. Yeah all of that kind of makes sense, now that I think about it. Guess Ougi switched to male clothes for Suruga Devil on the basis that she was made from Koyomi and thus there was no need to keep up the ruse as a girl?

Not sure I got the bit about Hanekawa selling her brains, unless it was meant to be taken literally.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I think that's about as good as the anime has ever been. Sublime couple of hours of anime. I always felt the Monogatari series meandered too much once the initial batch of Bake+Kizu was over, but Nishio somehow managed to tie up every single thread -- stretching back from the very beginning of the series -- into a neat little bow that practically explains everything. And with such finesse at that, bringing in so many factors to make it seem impossibly brilliant once the puzzle pieces are in place.

Only complaint is that they cut a couple of my favourite bits from the novel, but they always seem to do that.

Currently a quarter through Musubimonogatari, and it's the strangest thing to read, since it takes place about 5 years after the events of Bake, and everyone is so mellow and adult somehow, in stark contrast to the rest of the series. I also received a package with Shinobumonogatari this week, which is supposedly the first volume in the new University season, so that'll be another weird experience, no doubt.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

I think that's about as good as the anime has ever been. Sublime couple of hours of anime. I always felt the Monogatari series meandered too much once the initial batch of Bake+Kizu was over, but Nishio somehow managed to tie up every single thread -- stretching back from the very beginning of the series -- into a neat little bow that practically explains everything. And with such finesse at that, bringing in so many factors to make it seem impossibly brilliant once the puzzle pieces are in place.

Only complaint is that they cut a couple of my favourite bits from the novel, but they always seem to do that.

Currently a quarter through Musubimonogatari, and it's the strangest thing to read, since it takes place about 5 years after the events of Bake, and everyone is so mellow and adult somehow, in stark contrast to the rest of the series. I also received a package with Shinobumonogatari this week, which is supposedly the first volume in the new University season, so that'll be another weird experience, no doubt.
It's basically the Medaka Box epilogue all over again. Apparently, the series is planned for five more novels? After Musubi, it felt pretty "over".

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nisio is never going to stop writing this series

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I think I'm fairly okay with that outcome, as long as Shaft also never stops animating it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hopefully Chiwa Saito still shows up in other anime roles in the near future. Echidna from Re:Zero comes to mind...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

She'll definitely be in Shaft's Fate/Extra this winter, since she's the voice of Tamamo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She'll be in Berserk 2018 too

:unsmigghh:

That was a sweet ending and wrapped it all up well.
Just needed a touch ton more Kaiki.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

psyer posted:

Most of the official subs of Monogatari are really bad. And anything that is usually translated by Aniplex is really bad.

It was pretty funny rewatching the series and seeing the subbers put less and less effort into Nisio's puns until eventually in this season they just point out the Japanese words.

I just watched the last OVA. While I'm always down for more Monogatari I think I'd be totally ok if this was the end of the series. That ending plus the ending of Hanamonogatari just tie everything up so nicely.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Grouchio posted:

Hopefully Chiwa Saito still shows up in other anime roles in the near future. Echidna from Re:Zero comes to mind...

You could watch some old epic chiwa saitos like in pani poni dash and strike witches

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Nate RFB posted:

Oh, OK. Yeah all of that kind of makes sense, now that I think about it. Guess Ougi switched to male clothes for Suruga Devil on the basis that she was made from Koyomi and thus there was no need to keep up the ruse as a girl?

Actually, if I recall correctly from a story that has yet to be translated that stars Kanbaru... Kanbaru's Ougi is not the same as Araragi's Ougi - it's her own personal Ougi in a similar vein to her mother's and Araragi's, which is why this Ougi is male - as a counterpart to herself.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

That was incredible.

Obviously I'd be glad if they made more, but I would understand if Shaft want to just leave it here and be satisfied with having made one of the best anime series I've ever seen.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I didn't realize going in that Owari part 2 was going to end the series. Or at least the main series or whatever.

It was really great on pretty much every level and so I'm happy now, but I wasn't mentally prepared for gatari to be over so now I'm also sad.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SeanGaffney posted:

Actually, if I recall correctly from a story that has yet to be translated that stars Kanbaru... Kanbaru's Ougi is not the same as Araragi's Ougi - it's her own personal Ougi in a similar vein to her mother's and Araragi's, which is why this Ougi is male - as a counterpart to herself.

Ougi 2.0 does appear to at least have some connection to 1.0 as he says something akin to "oh, right i'm a guy now."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Not sure I got the bit about Hanekawa selling her brains, unless it was meant to be taken literally.

Yeah, this is my biggest lingering question.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The word used is 頭脳 which in context can also mean "mind" or "intellect", so it seems reasonable to interpret it as selling your intellectual services. Not sure why it's a sticking point.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

madmac posted:

I didn't realize going in that Owari part 2 was going to end the series. Or at least the main series or whatever.

It was really great on pretty much every level and so I'm happy now, but I wasn't mentally prepared for gatari to be over so now I'm also sad.
After Zoku Owari which definitvely finishes off the main story, there's now a Monster Season in which Arararagi leads an oddity detective squad 5 years later.
SHAFT adaptations aren't going anywhere. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

darkgray posted:

The word used is 頭脳 which in context can also mean "mind" or "intellect", so it seems reasonable to interpret it as selling your intellectual services. Not sure why it's a sticking point.

I took it as a weird way of saying she'd been hired for some intellectual type job.