Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

i.e. that guy on reddit who was somehow surprised that he would get in trouble for writing "proud member of the master race" as part of a school pen-pal thing with another class in germany.

You can barely make a joke about jackboots without having people lose their poo poo, Germany doesn't even allow the margin of tongue-in-cheek jokes.

Oh, the wide-eyed, absolutely stunned faces of natural-born germans who visit america and hear nazi jokes. :allears:

theultimo posted:

I don't mind ones who just produce videos, but drat the pateron pandering lately is getting way out of hand.

I understand the pandering of the patreon contributors: give more to those who care. But if you mean patreon exclusivity, then that's dumb and bad.

Personality will beget subscribers. But subscribers begetting personality is just shilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Motto posted:

why does he dress like a nerdy hobo despite being able to afford all those games

Priority list in life:

1) ANIME
2) GAMES

xx) Personal Appearance

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

greententacle posted:

I only recognise iJustine, I saw a video of her playing Portal, and she couldn't figure out how portals work.

i'm still not sure if that was :thejoke: or not

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
What's the hubbub about YouTube superstars? Did I miss something.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

YouTube superstars are pissed a washed up late night tv host made fun of their money maker.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
they all died in a tragic fire, rip

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
RIP

that's a really weird reaction to have but whatever. It's just a joke.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Well, being angry on the internet can get you a lot of views. Particularly when you try to manufacture scandal. Though I would be irritated that there were public figures ridiculing my small business. Doubt I would respond in anger, however.

Then again, in my experience, the people who treat their youtube/twitch poo poo very seriously are the ones NOT to watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite person on YouTube is a guy who explains basic principles and history of "magic", reality, subjectivity, and how to become balanced and unbiased in a very easy to understand and scientific manner.

His videos all have about 100 views each.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

precision posted:

My favorite person on YouTube is a guy who explains basic principles and history of "magic", reality, subjectivity, and how to become balanced and unbiased in a very easy to understand and scientific manner.

His videos all have about 100 views each.

I love EEVBlog, and right now there is a war between him and a hack company that's literally buying dislikes on his videos.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Jimmy Kimmel made a small joke about it being weird for people to watch other people play video games. Then a bunch of people on youtube and twitter started sending him incoherent death threats, and messages about raping his wife and daughter. Which he then responded to with another video making fun of the death threats, and it has like 2 million views and 8000 thumbs down and more death threats. It's pretty funny.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
lol if you think views have anything to do with quality

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Coolguye posted:

lol if you think views have anything to do with quality

Notably great videos have lots of views, as do notably bad ones.

If a video has just a handful of views it's an indication of it being very uninteresting and almost aggressively plain.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mak0rz posted:

Notably great videos have lots of views, as do notably bad ones.

If a video has just a handful of views it's an indication of it being very uninteresting and almost aggressively plain.

In seriousness, views on Youtube have everything to do with the basic advertising momentum that people have known about for decades. If you're popping, you show up in related videos, you show up on searches, you start getting a substantial amount of organic traffic. If you're not, like most folks, you get a trickle of interest if you're good, and no interest if you're bad.

You pop (generally, rare exceptions exist) by either being inflammatory/outrageous or having a really good marketing campaign. Either way a regular and frequent update schedule is also a requirement - which a lot of people who pour tons of effort into their videos don't have, because they're pouring tons of effort into their videos.

That is the end of it. If you think people who are good become super popular and people who are bad don't, and that's just how it works, you're naive to the point of willfulness.

To qualify myself, I've been putting videos up on Youtube for years (my avatar is a gone-off-the-rails LP joke) and have experienced a number of times of relatively fantastic expansion in subscriber/view base (nothing in the 100ks of anything but enough to see what works) and a number of times of relative contraction. I have a decent, though by no means expert level idea of how all this stuff works - but from studying people who have succeeded and trying to implement things on my own channel, I've come by the experience to put above.

Put shortly:

im a youtubb superstar and lol if you think views have anything to do with quality

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
glen plant is probably one of the best reviewers out there and has almost no traffic or subscribers

program666 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 3, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
BABYMETAL videos all have like 28 million views so I think the system sometimes works.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

you like melta banana but also baby metal? I'm disapoint

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like a wide range of weird, terrible music

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

and as someone who thinks mike oldfield is gods gift to man i will never judge you for that

program666
Aug 22, 2013

precision posted:

I joked about disappointed because of babymetal because I don't like it, but it's still funny that you like an experimental crazy monster like melt banana but also the absolutely super normal pop music super normal metal babymetal. Babymetal seem to get some of its style from melt banana, and melt banana is a bit more normal in recent years, but even then it's kind of funny.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ChipCheezum's LPs are of a very high quality all around and although they have a good amount of viewers it's nowhere near as many as any of the more popular Minecraft/scarecam youtubers.

It's the same on twitch, you could be the the best streamer in the world but if you don't play League of Legends/Dota/CS:GO you're not going to be super popular.

You could be the best documentary maker in the world but you're not going to beat your average summer blockbuster movie, etc.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Don't forget kinamania, the best Russian view an retro nes that I've seen, it's a stark contrast to us based views
https://youtu.be/kne6AKyYUuM

program666
Aug 22, 2013

theultimo posted:

Don't forget kinamania, the best Russian view an retro nes that I've seen, it's a stark contrast to us based views
https://youtu.be/kne6AKyYUuM

this guy owns, his dendy chronicles are the best

E: but differently from the other people we were talking about, this guy does have quite a lot of views.

program666 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 3, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I'm still desperately awaiting Trails SC and I am disappointed that there is no announced release date for this game. I wonder how the people who got Trails FC way back on the PSP in 2008 feel.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Yay hearthstone is broken and exploited!

http://youtu.be/1lyoxjqN33w

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

theultimo posted:

Yay hearthstone is broken and exploited!

http://youtu.be/1lyoxjqN33w

Staying true to its MTG heritage I see

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Curious about something, is there like a list of different kinds of challenge runs for various types of video games somewhere on the internet?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Awesome Welles posted:

jesus christ are gamers really upset about a late night talk show skit, kill all gamers

theultimo posted:

Well they are insulting YouTubers and their revenue, so the lynch mobs are out.
Yep:

icantfindaname posted:

from the comments

TheGamingLemon posted:

Seems pretty judgmental to be honest. I can understand why this idea must seem strange to people like you, but if you're going to bash it and call the parents who let their kids join in on the community "failed parents" then you've got to expect backlash.

About User posted:

2,688,942 subscribers • 375,381,045 views
Joined Jun 29, 2011
Description

My name's Brad, 18 years old. I love nothing more than making videos, gaming, and making people laugh. Here I upload 2-3 weekly comedy based gaming videos, consisting of GTA 5 Funny Moments and other funny moments and funtages on various video games!

If you like what you see, be sure to "SUBSCRIBE" to keep up to date with my latest content!

i'm the seth macfarlane family guy face, also the 2.6 million 13 year olds subscribed to this guy

theultimo posted:

YouTube superstars are pissed a washed up late night tv host made fun of their money maker.
~Still mad~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9oZplyzDKc

"die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die..."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Slur posted:

I'm still desperately awaiting Trails SC and I am disappointed that there is no announced release date for this game. I wonder how the people who got Trails FC way back on the PSP in 2008 feel.

:shepicide:

They're still saying it's going to be out before Cold Steel and that's slated for later this year so....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just want an official translation of Nayuta no Kiseki

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I clicked reply and I somehow wound up in the bernie sanders thread, worst surprise bonus stage ever.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Beard guy on far left his name is Jirard Kahlil aka known as The Completionist. Also known as the Dragonrider. Had a bit of a fallout with a coworker ala GameGrumps but is back and better than ever to complete the games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ugh, i caved and bought MGS5.

i am not to be trusted with lots of money, as it turns out.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

precision posted:

You fool! You've bought a really, really good game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

precision posted:

If buying MGS5 is untrustworthy, I don't wanna be trustworth.

Speaking of spending money, is Mad Max worth picking up later this month?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr E posted:

You shoulda bought Mad Max first and bought MGS later this month.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i finally got around to watching Fury Road last night, and every 10 minutes i turned to my girlfriend and said "HOW DID THIS NOT MAKE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD?!"

is the game actually good?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Mr E posted:

Mad max sponsored by rockstar energy, the best energy in the wastes.

Or Max Mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

You shoulda bought Mad Max first and bought MGS later this month.

Well I got MGS for 10 bucks so

• Locked thread