Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This is related to the 1983 death of his girlfriend at the time, Nancy Argentino.

Source: http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-jimmy-snuka-grand-jury-announcement-20150901-story.html

quote:

Wrestling legend Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka is being charged with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter for the death of his girlfriend more than 32 years ago in an assault at an Allentown area motel, Lehigh County authorities said.

The charges were announced at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Snuka, 72, was arrested Tuesday morning at his New Jersey home and arraigned at 1:50 p.m. from the Lehigh County Central Booking Center. He was sent to county jail under $100,000 bail.

Lehigh County District Attorney Jim Martin re-opened the case last year, prompted in part by a Morning Call investigation that raised questions about the death of Snuka's 23-year-old girlfriend, Nancy Argentino, in May 1983. The Call story revealed a never-before-seen autopsy report that labeled the case a homicide.

The grand jury's term ended at the end of July.

At the time of Argentino's death, Snuka was one of the World Wrestling Federation's biggest names, known for his high-flying finishing moves.

Reached Tuesday by phone, Argentino's sister Louise Argentino-Upham said it's a relief, especially since her mother turns 90 this year and may be able to see justice served.

"I think that it's been a long road," Argentino-Upham said. "They did the right thing in face of all the evidence."

Snuka had been at a WWF taping at the Allentown Fairgrounds on May 10, 1983, and returned to his Whitehall Township motel room to find Argentino, of Brooklyn, gasping for air and oozing yellow fluid from her mouth and nose, records show.

Argentino was pronounced dead at Lehigh Valley Hospital the next day. An autopsy determined she died of traumatic brain injuries and she suffered more than two dozen cuts and bruises — a possible sign of "mate abuse" — on her head, ear, chin, arms, hands, back, buttocks, legs and feet.

The autopsy also determined her injuries were consistent with being hit with a stationary object. In an autopsy report, forensic pathologist Isidore Mihalakis wrote the case should be investigated as a homicide until proven otherwise.

Snuka originally told at least five people, including the responding police officer, he shoved Argentino earlier that day, causing her to fall and hit her head, according to police interviews obtained by The Morning Call. He later told police those five people misunderstood him, and said Argentino slipped and hit her head when they stopped along the highway to urinate.

Snuka was the only person of interest in the case but was never charged.

The original Whitehall police investigation went cold June 1, 1983, after a follow-up interview with Snuka that was ordered by Lehigh Valley authorities and attended by WWF mogul Vince McMahon.

In an unprecedented move, Martin announced in January 2014 that a grand jury would investigate Argentino's mysterious death, acknowledging the role of The Morning Call's story. He said it was the oldest case he's ever sent before the grand jury.

Snuka, who lives in Waterford Township, N.J., was diagnosed with stomach cancer, his wife announced earlier this month.

In 1985, the Argentino family won a $500,000 wrongful death case against Snuka by default, but Snuka never paid because he claimed he was broke and couldn't afford a legal defense.

In his 2012 autobiography, Snuka maintained his innocence and said Argentino's death ruined his life.

"Many terrible things have been written about me hurting Nancy and being responsible for her death, but they are not true," he wrote. "This has been very hard on me and very hard on my family. To this day, I get nasty notes and threats. It hurts. I never hit Nancy or threatened her."

However, less than four months before Argentino's death, Snuka was charged with assaulting her in a New York motel and then fighting with police when they responded to the call. He pleaded guilty to harassment in the case with most of the serious charges being dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Please let Vince get his for this.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well at least they won't have to worry about taking away his shoe laces.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please let him flop on Vince.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
What a great week for the WWE.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

Fsmhunk posted:

Now this is what I want for Christmas , Santa!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Didn't take long for Jon Stewart to get to work

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Fsmhunk posted:

Howling Man posted:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
ohhhh boy

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Congrats Triple H

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Congrats Triple H

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Geez, that took a while.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
In 2016 there is a possibility that DONALD TRUMP will run the country and HHH will run THIS business...

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Congrats Triple H

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In all seriousness if this did pick up steam would they just legit take Vince out of power and HHH takes over, simple as that?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

In all seriousness if this did pick up steam would they just legit take Vince out of power and HHH takes over, simple as that?

Depends if Vince is implicated as an accessory.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If it got really bad with a lot of press coverage, absolutely.

But it's a wrestler whose heyday was 30 years ago and he's not really involved with the company anymore. It probably won't get that much press coverage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chromatic posted:

If it got really bad with a lot of press coverage, absolutely.

But it's a wrestler whose heyday was 30 years ago and he's not really involved with the company anymore. It probably won't get that much press coverage.

Will they keep Snuka in the HoF?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Vince could conceivably do jail for this, considering he outright lied to cops, but HHH taking over because of this is the unlikeliest thing. Stocks already shooting down at just the thought of it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Snuka will die and his last word will be "grapefruits" to implicate Vince and everyone will try to figure out what he means.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Davros1 posted:

If he's convicted no. he'll get hulk benoit treatment

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

just make a criminal wing like the celebrity wing or rename it hall of infamy

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Vince seems like Joe Paterno in that he's done as soon as he's no longer involved with his work.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chris Benoit knew and Vince had to silence him.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Congrats Triple H

Now Kevin Owens will really be buried

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Vince could conceivably do jail for this, considering he outright lied to cops, but HHH taking over because of this is the unlikeliest thing. Stocks already shooting down at just the thought of it

But if Vince did do time someone has to take over. Would it be Steph? I thought she literally didn't like dealing with the wrestling stuff anymore?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But if Vince did do time someone has to take over. Would it be Steph? I thought she literally didn't like dealing with the wrestling stuff anymore?

Because they're public, shareholders would want someone with experience running stuff or they would sell even worse than they currently are (down 10% today). HHH with NXT doesn't count. The only options would be Shane (gone), Dunn, or Steph (doesn't want to).

:getin:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Bring back Bischoff.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man we joked about this for so long, I can't believe it's finally happening

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Stay safe, Vince.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Howling Man posted:

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I don't know that Vince would be brought up on accessory charges, since it would have to be proven that he knew Snuka did it. And an obstruction charge would have had to have been filed within 5 years of the commission of the act

Oh, wait, where am I, the SA forums? UH VINCE WILL GET THE DEATH PENALTY

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Name the last time a rich, white man "got his" in America. Vince will see no repercussions.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Name the last time a rich, white man "got his" in America. Vince will see no repercussions.

Hulk Hogan, BROTHER!

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Phil Spektor, Robert Durst, Bernie Madoff

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Get Andrew Jarecki to make The Jinx 2: Superfly. I will watch every minute.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I want Vince to go to jail not out of any sense of justice, but because I'm literally an idiot who thinks this will make Monday Night Raw on The USA Network a better show to watch because I can't possibly fathom doing something else on Monday nights. Such is the life of a rowdy ringsporter.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just think it's going to be impossible to prove anything about what Vince knew unless they have a recorded phone call to/from Snuka on file, and even that might not be enough depending on what's on it. Vince won't be arrested and he won't be charged.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hogan should jump all over this and start saying "yeah Vince told me he helped cover up the murder" during his media tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Howling Man posted:

Hulk Hogan, BROTHER!

Only happened because there was literal audiovisual evidence. Not only is there none of that in this case, there's apparently even conflicting testimony from the cops if I'm reading all of that correctly.

DynamiteKidd posted:

Phil Spektor, Robert Durst, Bernie Madoff

Physical evidence, confession and a shitload of other evidence, massive paper trail.

I know it's hilarious to consider but I REALLY doubt it.

• Locked thread