Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
My (late) midpoint update:

90 words.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Checking in with 5,924 words. Gonna do some editing on a second draft, and then we'll see how much I can run up the score. Or, you know, see what my monthly output looks like.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I'm sitting pretty with around 5k words

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I've got a little over 3k.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kurona_bright posted:

My (late) midpoint update:

90 words.

Yeah.

You should write some more words

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I have written about 900/4000.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
bluh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Added 1500ish words to a draft of an older story: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lnLcdzEETzzyeavdNA7emNE7rtRixxmC03JcrP611ho/edit?usp=sharing

that, plus my two TD stories this month, equal >4000 words.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All right, despite having spend the majority of the month deliberating which rad amazing story I was going to knock out of the park and not doing a thing, I finally sat down and started to write today. 1,250 words. I realize I'm shooting for 4,000, but I'm going to get it... I'm writing about why I always stop writing.

Write what you know about, am I right.

BOOM EDIT:
I'm up to 4,491 words now, so I hit my goal for the month. And I'm going to keep going. Unfortunately, it's all going to be poo poo thanks to the pain pills I'm on. I had surgery last week, and was ready to use it as my excuse for not writing a measly 4-000 words but then I decided gently caress you, I can pinch out 4K when everything is just right.

Thanks for the prod to get me writing again, I needed it. Consider me signed up for next month.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 24, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Can we bail? I mean, I don't even know why I sighed up so it would be nice if you could just take me out of this. I'd rather not be banned. Not going to list excuses, just flat saying there ain't a chance in hell this was ever going to happen.

Cheers!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

thehomemaster posted:

Can we bail? I mean, I don't even know why I sighed up so it would be nice if you could just take me out of this. I'd rather not be banned. Not going to list excuses, just flat saying there ain't a chance in hell this was ever going to happen.

Cheers!

:lol:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Keeping myself honest here, I haven't written a single word out of my 10k. I'm gonna try and write some this week though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thehomemaster posted:

Cheers!

You can bail. Like it says in the op.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Signing the hell back up for 4k. I can definitely shart out 4k in a week and be ready for a better showing in October.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i've thrown out my rural rentboys story last week, and with my other TD story that's around 2.1k words. With this week's thunderdome and cyberpunk mermen, I should be good this month, and if those dont come out by this sunday, i get banned anyways so who cares. Maybe I'll have to write a little bit extra, so I'll just do some dumb poetry and call it a long walk.

edit: thrown out as in submitted to some journals

flerp fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 25, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
“No!” Tissai cried, “You must not. You don’t understand.”
“I will protect you,” he said. “I won’t let her harm you.”
“This isn’t my true face,” she said. “You will no longer love me when you behold the truth.”
“Nothing can change what is between us,” he promised. “Nothing can change how I feel about you.”

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Ok, 900 words of novella

1350 words of blog psots

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/2015/09/what-were-reading-the-dark-forest/

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/2015/09/worldbuilding-but-not-as-you-know-it/

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/2015/09/what-were-reading-three-moments-of-an-explosion/

Just leaves me another little bit

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
so this wont happen guess im banned

if you have spec fic to submit somewhere check us out

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
4892 words this month, not counting Thunderdome.

Sci-fi first draft, stalled:

Contemporary fantasy, abandoned beginning of draft:

Contemporary fantasy, first draft in progress:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Done. Decided to plunk all I've done in separate Google Docs files for each month, since I'm doing the first draft in long chunks of disorganized brain spew.

Gonna spend the remainder of the month organizing that poo poo into scenes in Scrivener and chopping out huge chunks of exposition to go in my notes.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
my past self is apparently some kind of spineless baby because i didnt specify that td stuff didnt count as my 4k

im going to own my future self by saying that it doesnt

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

A lot of restructuring existing stories this month, with most of my focus on my Commercial Fiction Space Robot Scifi Fun project. Trying not to get sucked into worldbuilding so much, but that is my weakness.

I'm hitting a lot of high points and lows in terms of writing days. I've been keeping a pad of paper on hand at work to jot ideas down, and then when I get home they're indecipherable, or too hard to incorporate. It's impossible not to think of "man maybe instead of a bunch of short stories it could be a novel series" which is gonna end up slowing me down even more in the sludge pit of endless world tweaking. At least with Thunderdome you feel safe just going with the first thing your spine shoots out.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason, I went back to poetry this week. Four thousand words of poetry. Mostly mediocre, but practically one poem a day, which feels pretty sweet.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Stories this month, mostly thunderdome cause I'm lame + busy with school

First up, the rural rentboys rewrite that I'm pretty happy with, got a nice rejection letter back from one of the places I sent it to. Overall, 980 words.

(An image, just in case)

Next up is the Lamassu story. 1226 words. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YabvgtM-3t3IXgWUwY6rCrHW5Z3MeX7QpWOiZcRtFSY/edit?usp=sharing

Then my cake story that I've rewritten a little bit and am going to submit to that contest I posted in TD. 1256 words right now, but'll probably become more in a couple days. e: finished the edit, now at 1556 words and sent out to beepdeadcity or whatever the gently caress its called. edited out google doc just in case, here's an image.

But of course, who could forget about my magnum opus, the cyberpunk merman story. This is kinda TD-ish, but not really. 853 words. https://docs.google.com/document/d/103oGaChqKy5GMFuVtNDUo9VN_TbJYZSHlRfmyscrx4c/edit

Also, I read it aloud if you want to hear it! https://soundcloud.com/broenheim/cyberpunk-merman-2

Then there's this non-TD story that I was experimenting with. I'm thinking of a way to make this stronger, but I like the central concept, and seems like it'll be a lot of fun once I'm finished with it, but far from it. 742 words. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GufmkbozR__yhVuaNCdN97OcIwjptkgGALzyNwzzJQQ/edit?usp=sharing

Overall, 5000+ words cause im not doing the math on my new poo poo. Next up are my submissions

(the bottom three are relevant ones, disregard the other two)

Already got it rejected from one place, but it seemed less because it was bad, and more because apparently the character was too young. They even said they liked it :3:. And they even complimented my title (which I'm super proud of) So, fingers crossed.

Overall, not bad TD-wise, wish I had written more outside of that, but school and crap, so oh well. Also, I've written a bunch of poetry, but that was for an assignment in my creative writing class so it feels wrong to call that LW stuff (I was totally going to use that if I was short though btw).

flerp fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 1, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Don't know what weird, disgusting time zone we're working with, but I'm 7k in and intend to hit my goal, so nobody ban me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ravenkult posted:

Don't know what weird, disgusting time zone we're working with, but I'm 7k in and intend to hit my goal, so nobody ban me.

Timezone is PST with a little sprinkle of mercy on top.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ravenkult posted:

intend to hit my goal, so nobody ban me.

same. :choco:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Ok, final count on the story I was working on at the beginning of the month was 11,147. Total increase of 5,384.

My thunderdome entry totaled at 1,197.

Started fresh with a new draft of my novel. Total of 1,778 words there.

Grand total of 8,359 words, plus about a week of revising previous stories. And I had my first story accepted for publication!

Not necessarily my most productive month word-count wise, but not bad, either.

Guiness13 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 30, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'll have teacher check my work on IRC, but for now, nap time.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
My words for September. A short story and the start to an essay/rant/opinion piece.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_U66_8mAKqxbWWApOebfYfoi3kYqJM2_iAEGck3jwpA/edit?usp=sharing

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
4k words in 2 days about space bees. I feel like the slowest, worst champion.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
4141 words, mostly of false starts to the novel. Decided to finish the chapter even after deciding it would have to be completely redone.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1boh8RggpXbBHey3xisk8zehd5eYmyBcGHpNVYXeiTAU/edit?usp=sharing

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

4k :toxx:

b/c not doing this at all is depressing.

Turns out doing this is depressing, too.

New Prologue for ~Angel Romance~: 791 Words

Expansion of Bone Loom story (1,286 to start with): 2,251

Harkal Not-Required-Thunderdome-Story: 1,178

Total: 4,184

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
bleh, failed. Gimme the ban.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

7,698 words, comprised of novel work and a story I wrote with Thunderdome in mind, only I didn't actually enter that week.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
ok heres 4k of vague scenes and exposition for what i guess will be a novel

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EMBNnYS6-gE_h5KcpwimCKbGYNptkueozzaKwUhBmFc/edit?usp=sharing

i submitted this bs to AE: The Canadian Science Fiction Review

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t2WnMnBQ6j7YS8xNHnDC_1bRAx8emhTR-ompdjd-rhY/edit?usp=sharing

:toot:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
2718 TD short stories

3463 garbage words

3435 words that are probably still bad but might actually contribute to something one day

I don't like what I did here. Next walk, only words that contribute to a longer singular piece will count.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
burp, i suck

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Welp,

Short story: DONE! But not very good. Needs a pretty major edit and I'm not entirely sure it's accomplishing what I set out to. Oh well.

First chapter of my novel. loving terrible garbage which I think I'm going to delete now because this opening really doesn't work. But at least I started.

Total words: 4531

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm pleading for amnesty on the basis of having bronchitis this month.

Seriously, I spent the month asleep.

• Locked thread