Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Delta-Wye posted:

So I totally put a deposit on a bike last Saturday :getin:

The weather was pretty lovely on and off so I didn't actually buy it that day. I think I'm going to try my hand at hot doggin it back to Seattle from Bham on WA9 this week if the weather clears up a bit.

Am I going to die a lot, or just a little? :iiam:

Highways, imo, are the safest roads unless you forget you're invisible. Don't think for a second that they can see you, even with eye contact, and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'd rather be on the freeway then endless miles of stop and go lights. Way safer to just go with the flow on I5

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep, I'd get in the left lane and cruise at least until WA530 - Hwy 9 north from there is nice.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I was a bit concerned about keeping up with traffic on such a slow rig, but I found a couple old gopro videos on youtube of a fellow pulling past traffic on i5 and also on i90 crossing the bridge. I was looking for the i90 stuff specifically because I don't want to have to drive around the lake! The guy didn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with traffic at all.

I was thinking wa9 from ferndale all the way down to 228th over to Lake City Way. I drove down it on the way back from the dealership and it's a well maintained road and quite a few spots are limited to 25 or 35mph. Other than some fun looking switchbacks as it goes through some hills and around a lake, it's not too bad. Once you get to Lack City, it's pretty much a straight shot into the city from there by either by hopping on I5 for a couple exits (only a couple spots with merging to deal with) or taking poo poo surface streets through the u-district.

I think corners are going to be okay (throw some weight in the tub and lean) I'm mostly worried about hitting poo poo on the right with the sidecar. I'm expecting lane position is going to be the tricky part so I'm going to endeavor to not slam it into stuff. I'm going to try and find insurance before I do this though just in case lol

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Delta-Wye posted:

I was a bit concerned about keeping up with traffic on such a slow rig, but I found a couple old gopro videos on youtube of a fellow pulling past traffic on i5 and also on i90 crossing the bridge. I was looking for the i90 stuff specifically because I don't want to have to drive around the lake! The guy didn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with traffic at all.

I was thinking wa9 from ferndale all the way down to 228th over to Lake City Way. I drove down it on the way back from the dealership and it's a well maintained road and quite a few spots are limited to 25 or 35mph. Other than some fun looking switchbacks as it goes through some hills and around a lake, it's not too bad. Once you get to Lack City, it's pretty much a straight shot into the city from there by either by hopping on I5 for a couple exits (only a couple spots with merging to deal with) or taking poo poo surface streets through the u-district.

I think corners are going to be okay (throw some weight in the tub and lean) I'm mostly worried about hitting poo poo on the right with the sidecar. I'm expecting lane position is going to be the tricky part so I'm going to endeavor to not slam it into stuff. I'm going to try and find insurance before I do this though just in case lol

What is this super slow bike you're thinking won't have the speed for the highway?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's a ural :getin:

They have a max output of around 40hp but with the front profile of a small car. My understanding is that hitting 70 requires basically redlining the engine and you're going to be maxing out at 55 going up a long hill, but I haven't taken one up to those speeds yet.

Anyways, the video didn't look too bad and that should have been a carbed bike based on the posting dates. My rig is newer with fuel injection and should have marginally more oomph but we'll see if that pans out.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 3, 2015

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Spiffness posted:

I'd rather be on the freeway then endless miles of stop and go lights. Way safer to just go with the flow on I5

I once saw a man ride a Vespa-style scooter from Everette to Seattle on I-5, racer crouch, engine screaming the whole way at ~70

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
If you get your license suspended, can you still drive a 50cc legally? Zoom zoom!

VVV Right, you need a license, not an endorsement :downs:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 4, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well you still need a license to operate a vehicle...

E: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/mopeds.html

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The DUI-mobiles are those bikes with the engine and gas tank slapped on, I think.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

The DUI-mobiles are those bikes with the engine and gas tank slapped on, I think.

Washington's just weird in not allowing unlicensed mopeds.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Trip report: Survived. 7ish hours is too long for a first ride imho. I know this now.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Fuckin' sweet.

T? Patrol? Gear-Up?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It's a pretty decked out Gear Up. I got it slightly used and I think it rides pretty nice. Supposedly the previous owner decided he hated how it (sidecars in general) rode and traded it back in for a two wheeler after 600 miles. Hopefully I didn't inherit someone's poo poo box!

I did get it up to 70 in a flat straight away - she was none too happy, but she did it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bham to Seattle (or the other way I can't really tell) in 7 hours? Sounds like an adventure

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Bham to Seattle (or the other way I can't really tell) in 7 hours? Sounds like an adventure

Spent a couple hours dicking around in Bellingham/ferndale then took WA9 real slow. I also got turned around in Bothell somehow and ended up accidentally making a 'quick' detour to Echo Lake :psyduck: nothing terrible, it just took forever.

edit: I just noticed I'm around half the posts in this thread. My friends are all tired of hearing about this poo poo though so I'm probably going to be keeping it up, ha!

Edit 2: I wasn't 100% what was going on when it happened (you can see/hear me slow down and go wtf) but when i checked the video I am very glad I wasn't turning left off of lake city way!

Watch the white car to the left. https://youtube.com/watch?v=lrlh87eBa0g

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 5, 2015

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Is it just me or is it unseasonably cold? Just had to order heated gear for the first time because under 40 degrees with my RevIt H20 gloves is utter clammy hell.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nah we usually get our real cold weather done in November/December. What was it, 1988 or 89 when we had that super snowy November?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It was nice enough this weekend to go out and practice my side wheelies :getin: The last few days have been miserable once the sun's gone down though.

http://gfycat.com/GrandioseTornAustraliansilkyterrier

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
The mornings are usually the worst, cold-wise. But basically, once it's cold and wet, it's Misery Town, population Your Hands.

My Rukka lobster gloves are working great, though, keeping my hands warm and dry. I had a little dual-wheel slippage this morning when I hit some frost, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm still considering getting some heated gear, but it's just so drat expensive. I'm saving up for an Aerostich (or similar) so blowing $300 on heated gloves and all the accoutrements seems kinda silly to me.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Delta-Wye posted:

It was nice enough this weekend to go out and practice my side wheelies :getin: The last few days have been miserable once the sun's gone down though.

http://gfycat.com/GrandioseTornAustraliansilkyterrier

What the gently caress? Is that a shaft-driven dual sport?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a hack. Judging by the driveshaft, it's a Ural 2WD hack.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

clutchpuck posted:

Holy poo poo. Do want.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

It's a 2014 Gear Up. It's my first bike and it's stupid fun to drive around. I got it a few weeks ago and I can't wait for spring/summer to roll back around again.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Delta-Wye posted:

It's a 2014 Gear Up. It's my first bike and it's stupid fun to drive around. I got it a few weeks ago and I can't wait for spring/summer to roll back around again.

Whoa, I didn't know they still made Urals! What is this madness? That's a beautiful machine, man.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Anyone up here have/know where I can get my hands on a gs750e tank? I need one for my project. I'm looking for the e not the es, the es has indents for fairings.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have you checked Bent Bike?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Have you checked Bent Bike?

I only checked the lynnwood one. I bought one there that looked right but it ended up being too long and the tunnel was wrong also.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
Could anyone offer some insight on riding on Vancouver Island? Or from the island along the coast to say, San Francisco area? I'll be moving there in the spring from Toronto and am looking forward to generally better weather, traffic, roads and more interesting scenery. I currently have a Honda CB1100 but am looking to get something a little more sport-touring oriented once I get there (read: Yamaha FJ-09). Just wondering if anyone knew of some good routes or destinations on the island or in the vicinity? I was thinking that for any trips south it would make more sense to take the bike across on the ferry in the bed of my truck and offload it somewhere around Astoria and go from there. Looks mostly like superslabs anyway until that point, but I could be wrong. Definitely want to do lots of riding in Oregon also. Thanks.

B.Wales! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 14, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know much about Vancouver Island but I've done a bunch of touring in California down to Pismo and all over Oregon.

Motorcycles generally get preferential treatment on ferries; first on/first off, and on WA state ferries they expect you to just cut the line to the front, so if you're gonna tour and ferries are involved, I'd leave the truck at home. Might be worth it to ferry across to Anacortes and take the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend. Washington around the Olympic Penninsula from Port Townsend is worth riding. Neah Bay is pretty cool. Hurricane Ridge is pretty cool. Definitely not super slab anywhere near there.

Oregon coast is cool. You can't go wrong from there all the way to SF. Remember to do the Avenue of Giants in northern California instead of sticking on 101 and make sure to take the turn at Leggett by the drive through tree to get to the coast.

The rest of Oregon: holy poo poo just get out of the city and it's awesome. Quartzville Rd/NF-11 near Sweet Home is transcendent and McKenzie Pass is cool as hell with the twisty roads and giant lava flows. Bend is a fun town and the scenery from there to Dayville and then north to Biggs Junction is super. Then the ride westbound on I-84 through the gorge, gotta see. Maybe go on the Washington side to avoid superslab. Most of this youtube is in Oregon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnnCa6xIeE

I'm gonna get out to Oregon again this summer and check out Crack in the Ground. e: and this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43....4ab32df!1m0!3e0

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 15, 2016

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

B.Wales! posted:

Could anyone offer some insight on riding on Vancouver Island? Or from the island along the coast to say, San Francisco area? I'll be moving there in the spring from Toronto and am looking forward to generally better weather, traffic, roads and more interesting scenery. I currently have a Honda CB1100 but am looking to get something a little more sport-touring oriented once I get there (read: Yamaha FJ-09). Just wondering if anyone knew of some good routes or destinations on the island or in the vicinity? I was thinking that for any trips south it would make more sense to take the bike across on the ferry in the bed of my truck and offload it somewhere around Astoria and go from there. Looks mostly like superslabs anyway until that point, but I could be wrong. Definitely want to do lots of riding in Oregon also. Thanks.

I'd be down to do some explioring with you. I'm living in Vic. I've heard great things about the islands nearby being dope for trails and not having any cops on them.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I don't know much about Vancouver Island but I've done a bunch of touring in California down to Pismo and all over Oregon.

Motorcycles generally get preferential treatment on ferries; first on/first off, and on WA state ferries they expect you to just cut the line to the front, so if you're gonna tour and ferries are involved, I'd leave the truck at home. Might be worth it to ferry across to Anacortes and take the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend. Washington around the Olympic Penninsula from Port Townsend is worth riding. Neah Bay is pretty cool. Hurricane Ridge is pretty cool. Definitely not super slab anywhere near there.

Oregon coast is cool. You can't go wrong from there all the way to SF. Remember to do the Avenue of Giants in northern California instead of sticking on 101 and make sure to take the turn at Leggett by the drive through tree to get to the coast.

The rest of Oregon: holy poo poo just get out of the city and it's awesome. Quartzville Rd/NF-11 near Sweet Home is transcendent and McKenzie Pass is cool as hell with the twisty roads and giant lava flows. Bend is a fun town and the scenery from there to Dayville and then north to Biggs Junction is super. Then the ride westbound on I-84 through the gorge, gotta see. Maybe go on the Washington side to avoid superslab. Most of this youtube is in Oregon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnnCa6xIeE

I'm gonna get out to Oregon again this summer and check out Crack in the Ground. e: and this https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43....4ab32df!1m0!3e0
Thanks a lot, that's definitely something to consider. I took my bike on a ferry once and I do remember it being pretty efficient and cheaper than a car or truck. Would be good for occasional day trips to Vanvouver or Seattle. I have noted those routes and will try my best to see all of them and more. The whole area really does look truly incredible for riding.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I'd be down to do some explioring with you. I'm living in Vic. I've heard great things about the islands nearby being dope for trails and not having any cops on them.
I'll be moving to Vic also, or somewhere in that area. Really looking forward to it. I'll give you a shout when I get out there and I'd be happy to go riding with you.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I need reliable short-notice motorcycle shipping if anyone has a favorite company. Moving to LA for a spell and want the bike there ASAP.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Uship + careful review of reviews is the way to go.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Got it sorted. Trust Trailer Dan for everything. The other bidder had no reviews and used allcaps with a hotmail address which had never ever ended well for me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Saw you posted in the Seattle thread then looked here. Glad to hear you got it sorted safe travels.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Oh hey, a local thread!

Bike: 2010 Harley Crossbones (started with an old Honda XR100 at 10, graduated to an '86 Ninja 600 in high school, various sportbikes throughout the years, finally settled down with the Harley)
Years ridden: 21 street, 28 total (poo poo, I'm getting old)
Down for: scraping floorboards on Highways 20, 112, 97, etc. etc. etc.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just went for a ride around Monroe. Went a little ways along some dirt road and single track until I got nervous about getting stranded, as that rear tire doesn't work worth a drat in mud. It was a good ride, though.

My husky exhaust strikes again, though. This time on my brand new Klim pants. :(

Anyone know some good trails within an hour of Seattle? Also, if anyone wants to go ride on one of the nicer weekends, I'm down for that too. The 610 felt kinda heavy for rough stuff, but being short and not being able to get a foot down easily makes that stuff difficult anyways.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Walker valley orv park. Try rat trap pass too

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

A 610 might be a handful for anything but the fire roads at walker valley. Get an electric start 250 and rage

• Locked thread