Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Fuckin'...look at that. My friend J might be looking to get rid of this thing and I might be looking into tricking him into selling it to me.

The key points:
-1600 motor, only a couple thousand miles
-still has a 6v electrical system, he says. Can you even run the 1600 motors on a 6 volt system, or is he full of crap?
-needs brake work. I don't know specifics yet, sounds like he thinks it's a leak somewhere.
-ran when J got himself a real car and stopped driving her about a year ago
-If I can get her running in 3 weeks, she'll be going with me to Wasteland Weekend, a post-apocalyptic party out in the desert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Roj8Fm1QA

I'll be there regardless, but this car is so perfectly suited for this poo poo it's not even funny.

I'm good with basic mechanical poo poo, but I don't have much in the way of Type I-specific skills or knowledge. I have no garage, but I do have lots of free time and friends who might have garages.

Is this doable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You wouldn't survive the apocalypse with that death trap. But by all means, :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Nuoh my gahd.

DO IT DO IT DO IT

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You made this thread to get approval, right? If you don't do this I will be very cross.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Mostly I made this thread because I'm definitely gonna need help figuring this poo poo out. If we can get it running, I'm buying it for sure.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Buy it anyway, worry about getting it running later.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You have my axe.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Once you get around the weirdness that is the aircooled pancake motor, old ACVWs are drat simple cars to get running.

What I'm saying is you should definitely buy that thing.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

14 INCH DICK posted:

You have my axe.

My man, hearing that from you makes me so happy. Your AI exploits are some of my favorite things on this entire forum.

Gonna buy that poo poo and make it happen.
Where did you get the Fury Road tag?

Terrible Robot posted:

Once you get around the weirdness that is the aircooled pancake motor, old ACVWs are drat simple cars to get running.

What I'm saying is you should definitely buy that thing.

YESSS

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Buy it anyway, worry about getting it running later.

On it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My man, if you buy that trail of tears on wheels, I myself shall carry your avatar to the Halls of Valhalla.

want a surprise themed one or just the tag?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Old VW's are easy as hell to work on and everything is super simple. You should be able to get it running without too much trouble.

You still have the VW Caddy?

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

14 INCH DICK posted:

My man, if you buy that trail of tears on wheels, I myself shall carry your avatar to the Halls of Valhalla.

want a surprise themed one or just the tag?

I'm going to the gym with the owner today, gonna make him an offerhe can't refuse while he's stuck in the leg press machine.

FURY ROAD IS MY JAM

also, is that a gif of me in your av? This is a lot of coincidences and you should come to Wasteland.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Old VW's are easy as hell to work on and everything is super simple. You should be able to get it running without too much trouble.

You still have the VW Caddy?

Yeah buddy, taking that to wasteland too. Gonna build a geodesic SLUMBERDOME on the back.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Get me some detail shots of the engine and I can tell you what it was frankenstein ed together with. Specifically intake runner, carb/s, distributor, and the number stamped on the case halves will be the easiest source of ID. Generator too while you're at it. Hell, anything that's still Volkswagen on that car I can point you in the right direction, a picture of the fuse block with wiring colors etc. Also with the body gone I'm sure you know the frame number on the back of the tunnel.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
I wish I'd read your post before I went to go look at it. Here's the ugly details:

Motor:

Passenger seat SOOORT OF almost falling through the floor pan:

another photo:

Make a note: that tube closest to the camera? It's not actually welded to the body pan at all anymore if you look real close:

It's structurally a little dodgy. Gonna see if I can bribe one of my local welder friends to come reinforce things. Battery is at Autozone charging, car is covered in leaves.

Other than the bit where the passenger seat is almost falling though, the body pan looks mostly rusty but not rusted through, for whatever that's worth.

The whole photo album: https://goo.gl/photos/xbr953MJwsagFz4e8

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost entirely positive that's a 6V stock 1200 engine. Affectionately known in the community as the '40 horse.'

E:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 4, 2015

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

14 INCH DICK posted:

I'm almost entirely positive that's a 6V stock 1200 engine. Affectionately known in the community as the '40 horse.'

E:

Jesus, like I needed one more car with less then 50 HP. At least it's like, go-kart weight, to make up for the insane lack of power. Gonna take the charged battery over with some starting fluid and a can of WD40 and see if I can't get her started after the gym.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
While I'm here, tell me if this would be an even stupider idea, or a less stupid idea? There's a local guy selling a Bradley in some state of non-completion. No idea what years of VW this thing is compatible with, but LOOK. LOOK AT IT. TELL ME THAT WOULD NOT BE DOPE. I DARE YOU TO SAY IT IS NOT DOPE.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that bass boat paint?

Confirmed dope. Get both cars, then you'll have spare parts for each.

This may be the greatest thread to ever hit AI.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Bradley is sitting on at least a 1968 pan, it's 4 lug. If it's a swing axle 4 lug, it's a '68 standard manual (68 autistic got IRS, and was standardized across all bugs Standard and Super from '69 on). Get me pics of the bug parts in there and I can narrow it down further. Whatever year it is, it's definitely a standard because the Bradley doesn't fit on a Super pan. If you can't find the chassis number on the tunnel, get pics of the motor and heater flap knobs and seat belt latches since the stock seats are gone.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Well, first things first. I'm going to get this thing running before I even think about something as stupid as putting a Bradley on it. Basic structural integrity and motor function and all that.

Battery is toast, gonna shop around for one of those and talk to a local mechanic about finding the brake leak. Just spent some time getting the leaves off it today.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My name is Maximus Diximus Inchius, commander of the hipsters of the Pacific Northwest, General of the Shitpost Legions, loyal servant to the true moderator, Marcus Owncalculus. Owner of a lowered 'dub, driver of the lowered lyfe. And I will have my sick stance, in this thread or the next.
________________/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nate Falls posted:

Do you have experience with old VWs?

...Oh hun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Shouldn't really have read the Necronomicon out loud like that.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

14" likes his ACVWs like he likes his women: violently abusive and safeword-free. His last one grew a crop of spiders and did it's best to murder him when he tried to break up with it sell it.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
14 inch was an accountant with a healthy 401k and a loving wife and children before he got his first acvw.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The punch line I use is "iredeemably broken and trying to kill me."

Welcome home friend. We all float down here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

behold your lord and master

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hail satan

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thread link btw http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3029152

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So basically Nate Falls, this is the curious position you now find yourself in. Nobody truly knows if they have it inside them to become one of history's greats. Nobody truly knows what path to choose, whether it be better to shine bright and beautiful, an incandescent ball of fire ripping through the atmosphere on a course to create such an impact on every single life watching your journey that 65 million years later we still know about it. Or whether it is better to sit back in that chair, dim the lights down, and for the next thirty years of your life try to convince your best friends Jack and Jim that you made the responsible choice. It will never sit well every time you lose that argument to an empty glass bottle.

It's totally up to you where this story ends.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

behold your lord and master

I have one of the license plates from Lowered Expectations... somewhere. I'm not sure exactly where anymore, but I know it's somewhere in this house. Likely this room.

... which means somewhere, there are black widows. Hiding. Waiting. Waiting to kill.

14 INCH DICK posted:

So basically Nate Falls, this is the curious position you now find yourself in. Nobody truly knows if they have it inside them to become one of history's greats. Nobody truly knows what path to choose, whether it be better to shine bright and beautiful, an incandescent ball of fire ripping through the atmosphere on a course to create such an impact on every single life watching your journey that 65 million years later we still know about it. Or whether it is better to sit back in that chair, dim the lights down, and for the next thirty years of your life try to convince your best friends Jack and Jim that you made the responsible choice. It will never sit well every time you lose that argument to an empty glass bottle.

:golfclap:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Better not be eyeing a name change to Nate Fails bucko :colbert:

The silence in this thread had better be because that thing has its ovipositor jammed so far down your throat preparing your fleshy host body for its brood that your pubes have turned into horsehair

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 5, 2015

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
It's cool, I didn't much like money or sanity anyway.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nate Falls posted:

It's cool, I didn't much like money or sanity anyway.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

...and with the passing of the sword, the possession of 14 INCH came to an end. He once again became the unassuming desk jockey he once was, married an unassuming woman, had his statistical 2.3 children and lived boringly ever after.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPe5KRfLRhQ

and a couple more detail pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/XXSqR

Chopsy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 5, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Indiana cast his eyes across the wind swept walls of the cavern, noting the hundreds, no, thousands of tool boxes filling every available space. Hand chiseled into place, delicately fitted, the somber silence oppressive in its hollow emptiness. Chests of all sizes, ten and twenty feet long, polished tops. Drawers filled with glittering chrome and matte black finish, special tools of all make and size.

His eyes settle on a battered bio hazard orange roll cart towards the back. The drawer handles with epoxied box cutter blades, the thin legs rusted with age. On its top, a crudely painted symbol of the people's car, the VW inside a cogged wheel motif not used in centuries. Three words surround the glyph, Schmerz Macht Frei.

"That's it," he declares. "That's the cart of a masochist."

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Structural wooden rear suicide doors.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Structural wooden rear suicide doors.

Yeah, there's so many things about this that make me shake my drat head. Like clearly the thing was made by drunk idiots with no sense of structural integrity, but they were thoughtful enough to give the lovely plywood back seats some doors.

Also I fuckin' love the gun rack. Gonna throw together some thundersticks to put on the rack for that Fury Road look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrChips posted:

...and with the passing of the sword, the possession of 14 INCH came to an end. He once again became the unassuming desk jockey he once was, married an unassuming woman, had his statistical 2.3 children and lived boringly ever after.

But if 14 ever gets a Biturbo Nate has to give that sword right the gently caress back :colbert:

• Locked thread