Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ravnica

Aspects: The Endless City

Third District, Upper Wards

Black Feather Firegrill

Aspects: A Feast For All Senses

In Kamigawa, they'd call it hibachi. The entire place is run by quite possibly the weirdest proprietors you've seen in a while - a human woman with clearly surgically attached black-feathered wings on her back, and her partner, who might be a goblin woman or might be a particularly cheerful imp. Either way, they are at least friendly as they send each of you to your table - shared, for the experience of the firegrill. You are left to socialize with each other for a bit before the meal.

The table chef is a goblin, his face painted black and red, like a jester with a fondness for skulls. His showmanship is impressive - the flames leap up from the grill as he works, sending long shadows over the wall behind him. It's half shadow play, half cooking performance, as the shadows seem to form pictures of revelry and battle alike, shifting into each other. This goblin is very good at what he's doing. The smells are a feast in themselves, and you can barely hear the bustle from the city outside. It's not the safest location - the edge of the Upper Ward, with the Undercity close and many alleys where one could easily get mugged. But the place came highly recommended, and anyway, you were already in the area for various reasons.

Everyhing is excellent. So good, in fact, that you never notice the other goblin staff. Even when one of them slips around the table, delivering drinks and subtly brushing past you. (The drinks are not quite as good as the food, though. They just can't make good sake in Ravnica. Lack of good rice patties or something.) At least, not until your food is ready. It smells excellent and tastes better...but at about that point, once the chef dances off for the back entrance, the problem becomes clear.

What did the goblins steal from you, and what are you going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chaos errupts as the goblins flee into the kitchen. Cadaveria follows them easily - at least, until Mercy smashes through the wall next to her, filling the place with plaster dust. Several of the goblins turn back to stare as dust covers their bales of rice and washbasins. The chef, just ahead of the group, starts to panic. "Go, go go go! Gogogogo!" He is terrified out of his mind, but the kitchens are packed densely with materials and sharp objects, and dancing his way around them is no easy feat. Especially not with a Simic tracker on him, following his every move nasally.

Thale goes unnoticed for now - Mercy has everyone's attention. Well, Mercy and Ramah, as the warrior leaps over the chaos ably, with Gwenyvyn in hand. He lands as the dust starts to settle, billowing like wings around him. Several goblins slip out the back, but the chef is thrown onto his back by the force of everything going on just behind him. He stares up at the group, eyes wide - wider even than a goblin's normally are. He bears none of your goods - but he certainly knows who has them. He saw them take it, after all, and probably helped plan the entire thing.

"...please not to kill me?"

Unfortunately, he's not the only one whose attention has been drawn. The propieters are turning from their post at the entrance to stare. The winged woman's tone suggests she is not amused.

"What in Azor's spitting arse did you do to my restaurant?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The winged woman grimaces. "They shouldn't be. We had a deal - they stole only from deadbeats who couldn't pay. But your complaint was registered on my wall. That's going to cost me business." She turns, as Gwenyvyn and Cadaveria starts questioning the chef. Well, 'questioning.'

"You - you are not going to killing me, yes?" The goblin is terrified, but that's normal, really. "I will tell! I will tell!" "drat right you will! My wall's coming out of your haul!" "Yes, yes, will tell! Is for Rakdos! We are gathering wealth for Rakdos! No dirge, no dirge! You will not like the answer, though!" He grimaces. "Is hiding it three levels down! They go there now! But is not a safe place! Fire and dogs and goblins, yes! And the demon master! Is gathering to burn for Rakdos!"

In the meantime, Thale is entirely unnoticed as he slips out the back. The gang of Rakdos thieves is not easy to follow. Ramah and and Dusan are both given great trouble with it - the scent is mixed with dust and fire, and then out into the chaos of the city. The goblins are headed down, through tunnels into lower streets - going higher is little help. Still, with the goblin's instruction, they should be able to track the lair...but the goblins will have had time to settle in.

Thale finds one of the tunnels heading down, of course. He'll get there ahead of everyone else! Indeed - he ends up right on the heels of the goblins, as they duck down dark alleyways. As they head into the darker areas, the goblins light torches, chattering to each other quickly. Thale is doing quite well for himself - or, rather, he was.

This all turns out to be trouble when the dogs arrive. A pair of mastiffs, fire dancing around their teeth as they sniff at the goblins. They haven't noticed Thale quite yet - he smells too plantlike - but he's alone, and it's going to be no more than a few moments before they spot him.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 24, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The owner grimaces, but makes no complaint at her 'payment'. She has clearly decided she just wants you all to leave. Following the goblin's directions downwards, the group makes their way towards Thale and his trouble.

[04:36.28] <skybot> MorsRattus: 1 (4dF+3=-, -, 0, 0)

Or, rather, his lack of trouble. The dogs turn to sniff at him - and then yelp, as their bodies suddenly cease moving the way they want. They half-tumble, half-trip away from Thale, whining and trying to figure out why they can no longer control their limbs. They flee back, tails between their legs, leaving Thale an open path. He heads inward, and the sight before him is amazing, in its way. Beyond the arched gates, light flows forth from flames and magma.

Aspects: Rakdos Revels, Heat of the Flame

The Rakdos goblins caper about within, following barked orders from a man with the painted face and absurd clothing of a jester. The fiery meagma spells endlessly around the stone paths, and at the rear, a huge figure, twice the size of any human, sits before a large altar. The figure's face is away from the door, but the two immense wings and the red and black markings live little doubt - a demon, leading this branch of the Cult of Rakdos. The goblins are deposting goods around the demon and the altar, while the jester directs them.

The good news, at least, is that the burning has not yet begun. The bad news?

Well, isn't a demon, a jester and a bunch of goblin cultists enough bad news? If it's not, remember that they are also clowns.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gwenyvyn spots the stolen goods - not yet burned, just recently added to the pile. That's good - they can still be recovered! The demon is more troubling, though. The bad news is, his name is Kylgrath of a Hundred Deaths, and he's been killed three times before and it's never stuck. The good news? Each death has left a scar on him, a weak spot that can be exploited.

And he has the Aspect Echoes of Death with one free invoke.

Mercy, meanwhile, shatters her container against the jester's head. He turns, face red with rage (and green with assorted fluids). "You - you - KILL HEEEEER!" He is so angry he's not capable of saying much else. The goblins charge at Mercy, while the jester himself ducks away, fleeing the scene. He's got to get a new outfit!

The goblins are all totally focused on Mercy now!

Goblin Clown Horde:
Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consequences: Minor (-2), Severe (-4)

Cadaveria, meanwhile, has drawn Kylgrath's interest. Her decision to write when faced with danger is intriguing. The demon flaps its wings, and suddenly it is next to her, looking over her shoulder. "A musician, eh?" His voice rumbles like stone on stone. "Tell me, little one, can you sing bloody hymns and dark revels?"

Thale, meanwhile, turns his attentions to the altar. This is some kind of sacrifice - a sacrifice drawing deeply of red mana. It will be an orgy of joyous destruction, and the chaotic mess that is this temple is key to it. To counter this ritual, Thale will need to order it. Set it all into a logical, firm sequence. Each sacrifice has meaning, but for the ritual to work, that meaning must be removed, destroyed, sacrificed in an orgy of chaotic abandon.

Ramah, for his part, sends one goblin hurtling into the rest, channeling the power of thunder. The goblin staggers around dazed as many small fires start, primarily on goblin clothes or in goblin hair. They don't enjoy this very much.

Ramah creates a boost: Dazed And Mildly On Fire.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 22, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Folks that haven't gotten in this round have until tomorrow night.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mercy consumes the fiery magic, then belches forth a heated blast at the goblins, vaporizing two of them directly. The rest are covered in sweltering burns by the superheated air, causing several to cry out in terrible pain.

[08:49.30] <skybot> MorsRattus: 2 (4dF+3=0, +, -, -) vs 6, Weapon 2

The two goblins going for Gwenyvyn also have a bad time - while one dives quickly away from the sword, the second is run through at the shoulder, hissing and drawing back to a safer distance.

[08:52.07] <skybot> MorsRattus: 4 (4dF+3=+, +, 0, -) vs 4, Weapon 2

Still, this puts the diving one right into Ramah's path. He carves the creature to bits, taking advantage!

08:58.41] <skybot> MorsRattus: 5 (4dF+3=+, 0, 0, +) vs 5, Weapon 2

Unfortunately, though, the outflow of red mana interfers with Dusan's work. The goblins are weakened, to be sure - their muscles atrophy under the power of his magic...but he can't stop them completely. Worse, he can't keep it going for very long, either!

[08:59.31] <skybot> MorsRattus: 5 (4dF+3=+, 0, 0, +) vs 5, so Dusan's advantage is just a boost.

Goblin Clown Horde:
Physical: [ ] [X] [X] [X] [ ]
Consequences: Severe (-4)
Aspects: Horrific Burns

In them meantime, Thale gets to work in an effort to turn the red mana away from its target. While turning pure chaos into order is no easy task, Thale has a logical and clear mind. He finds symbolic connections, and the ritual begins to turn against itself. With what he has done, the mass consumption of the goods will certainly not happen - but he has found a tantalizing hint at the ritual's purpose. In unmaking the chaos, he finds some hidden order. This ritual was meant to empower a demon, yes, but it had within it a hidden order - a small channeling of Black mana that would allow the demon to access the dreams of the inhabitants of the city nearby. With some extra effort, that link to the demon might be able to be hijacked, to discover what, exactly, it wanted to do this for. But that could be risky, too...

The counterattack comes quickly. While they are not exactly the most defensive fighters in the world, the goblins are tenacious and savage. The swarm focuses mostly on Mercy, trying to climb over her and tear into her with long, jagged knives. The weight of their numbers makes up for the fact that each, individually, is quite weak. Gwenyvyn and Ramah are not ignored either, as goblins break off from the main group to try and pen them in. A pair work to try and stab Gwenyvyn from behind, while another hurls rocks at Ramah to keep him away.

[09:02.53] <skybot> MorsRattus: 5 (4dF+4=0, +, 0, 0) vs Mercy
[09:03.05] <skybot> MorsRattus: 2 (4dF+4=-, -, +, -) vs Gwenyvyn
[09:03.14] <skybot> MorsRattus: 1 (4dF+4=-, 0, -, -) vs Ramah

The music makes them keep their distance from their master and Cadaveria, but the demon itself just laughs. "You would dance with me? Very well..." Kylgrath claps his hands, his scars shimmering faintly. Then he raises one armored claw, calling on the mana around him and channeling it. A gauntlet of dark shadows coats his arm, making his already wicked claws even longer and sharper. Then he lunges at Cadaveria. "Then allow me to lead us! Really, love, if you'd dance for Lord Rakdos, perhaps we could reach an arrangement...but if you insist, I'll make that arrangement with your zombie!"

<skybot> MorsRattus: 5 (4dF+5=0, -, +, 0) vs Cadaveria...but I'm spending one of my Fate Points to invoke Rakdos Revels. You made this a dance, and the Rakdos are no slouches! So that's a 7.

Kylgrath:
Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consequences: Moderate (-2), Severe (-4)
Aspects: Echoes of Death

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Marking this space for update tomorrow, busy tonight.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I lied, work tackled me. I will see if I can get an update up while in vacation but odds are it'll wait for Monday or Tuesday.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

20:44 skybot MorsWork: 7 (4dF+5=0, +, 0, +)

Thale reaches into the spell, delving deep into the magic. The Black mana seeps into him, filling him from within. Whispers assail his mind, as the dreams of the homes around this place begin to flow through his mind. And through them all is a single thread, an image that fills his mind deeply. An image that burns itself into his mind. A woman, pale and beautiful, with black hair flowing around her like a cloak. She is clasping hands with a massive creature, like a demon, yet unlike it, a creature with yellow skin that shimmers with starlight and a cloak as black as the night sky, but pocked with stars. The scene is from another world, that much is clear - a beautiful world of starlight, togas and strange creatures. The demon seems to be seeking this woman, using the dreams as a conduit to try and track her down. With the spell shut down after this, it will need to seek other methods...

But in the vision overwhelming him, Thale has allowed more Black mana into his mind than he intended. His will is still strong - he resists the spell's attempts to suborn his mind and dreams to it. But it takes its toll, leaving a mark within him, as the nightmare visions go deep.

Thale takes 1 mental stress, but discovers the purpose of the spell - seeking this woman by hijacking dreams as a focus at the cost of sanity. She is somewhere on Theros, apparently.

20:53 skybot MorsWork: 6 (4dF+5=0, +, +, -)

Cadaveria, meanwhile, turns the tables on Kylgrath with her music. The black notes shriek out over the arena, playing tunes of banishment. Kylgrath's ties to Ravnica and Rakdos are strong, however. He barely wavers before letting out a musical bellow of his own, shattering her notes before they can do terrible harm.

Kylgrath takes one 1 mental stress!

21:06 skybot MorsWork: 7 (4dF+5=+, -, +, +)

However, when Ramah tries to trip the great demon, he finds the creature much more solid than he expected. The demonic rakshasa of his own home are not so large, nor quite so dense - creatures of lithe smoke and subtle magic, not the brute power this demon demonstrates. The thing does not so much as budge.

21:27 skybot MorsWork: 5 (4dF+5=+, -, +, -)

Mercy's binding circle is more helpful - channeling White magic, she overwhelms the miasma of Black mana that surrounds Kylgrath, creating a potent binding circle despite his dark magic. Trapping the demon within it will be extremely helpful.

I...think that's success with style? Which is I believe two free invokes? Someone check that.

Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental: [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consequences: Moderate (-2), Severe (-4)
Aspects: Echoes of Death

20:55 skybot MorsWork: 4 (4dF+3=0, 0, 0, +)[/i]

Gwenyvyn lays about herself, tearing goblins apart without care for their numbers. The clowns are left more red than white, as blood flows freely. Several drop dead on the spot, carved into pieces, while others move to flee. Only a few remain alive when she stops to take a breath.

21:29 skybot MorsWork: 3 (4dF+5=0, -, 0, -)
Spending one of my FP to up that to a 5 by invoking Heat of the Flame. So that's a 5, making it a tie even if you invoke Mercy's aspect. Since that'd not do anything especially helpful here, I suggest saving the invoke.

Dusan summons forth vines, which wrap themselves around Kylgrath. He struggles against them - and then roars, calling the flames around him to surge, burning the plants away to nothing. He looks over at Cadaveria. "So many seem to want to interrupt our duet. If that is what you want..."

He slams his fists down into the ground, calling forth to the fire around him. A cloak of flame wraps around his body, making the air hazy around him.

21:34 skybot MorsWork: 4 (4dF+5=0, +, -, -)
Anyone who wants to attack him will need to make a defense roll against a standing attack roll of 4.

The goblins, for their part, stare up at Gwynyvn. she has cut down most of them, but a few yet remain - and while most goblins are weak, these are Rakdos goblins. The average goblin embraces suicidal acts with fervor, and a Rakdos goblin even moreso. One of them turns to the rest. "Skurrbag's the slowest!" The rest pile onto the one named Skurrbag, lifting him up. "And...heave! One, two, three!" They hurl Skurrbag at Gwynyvyn. The goblin jester screams as he flies, and the rest cheer. "GOBLIN GRENADE!"

21:38 skybot MorsWork: 5 (4dF+3=0, 0, +, +)
I will spend a third FP for this scene to activate the stunt GOBLIN GRENADE, giving them Weapon: 3 for this one attack.

GOBLINS
Physical: [ ] [X] [X] [X] [X]
Consequences: NONE LEFT
Aspects: Horrific Burns, Carved To Bits

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'd like to get an update out by next Wednesday. If you haven't posted by then, I'm moving without ya.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

[08:34.01] <skybot> MorsRattus: 3 (4dF+5=-, -, 0, 0)

Mercy's sudden and explosive unleashing of pure White power overwhelms most of Kylgrath's defenses. The demon roars in terrible pain, as brands appear along the length of his body. He stumbles back, the fiery shield around him wavering as he deals with the onslaught.

[08:37.27] <skybot> MorsRattus: 5 (4df+5=-, +, +, -)

The pain distracts the demon from Thale's heckling...or, rather, from the bite of it. The creature turns on Thale, eyes narrowing. "You've - you've destroyed it all. You have no idea, do you? It-"

[08:39.40] <skybot> MorsRattus: 7 (4dF+5=+, +, +, -)
[08:40.12] <skybot> MorsRattus: 9 (4dF+5=+, +, +, +)

He stops dead mid-sentence as Cadaveria taunts him. The shield wavers as the demon turns and catches Ramah's leg. The shield of flame flows back around Kylgrath as he tosses Ramah aside. "A coward? Do you know what a demon is? A demon is a survivor. There is nothing left here to hold my interest, thanks to all of you." The seals branded into it by Mercy's attack shimmer as Kylgrath struggles against them. At last, he shoves his claw into his own torso, opening up one of his old scars and spilling black blood across the floor. "Next time we meet, you'll not thwart me so easily!" His face contorting with pain, Kylgrath drops to one knee, then fades into shadow, using his own pain to fuel his magic.

Physical: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [X]
Mental: [X] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consequences: Moderate (-2)
Aspects: Echoes of Death, Sealed Power

...but he flees, defeated!

[08:43.46] <skybot> MorsRattus: 1 (4dF+3=-, 0, -, 0)

The goblins are not so lucky. Gwenyvyn carves up the lot, leaving nothing but clown costumes, facepaint and bodies. With the ritual disrupted, the goblins dead and the demon fleeing, there is nothing to keep you from reclaiming your goods, which lie unharmed by the fires thanks to Thale's quick work defusing the spell.

Really, it'd be quite a nice place now if it weren't for all the blood and corpses. And the array of treasures on the altar, only some of which belonged to you.

Sorry this took so long! Hoping things will be back on track now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Whatever decision is made, it should probably be made sooner than latter. The chaos will surely attract attention, and these could hardly be the only Rakdos in the area. It should be a little while before any guard changes happen, though, so you'll have at least another half hour unless someone calls the Boros for some reason. This seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Once the items are packed away, you make your way outside. The dogs have wandered off at this point, probably fleeing as they hear a Wojek siren going off a few blocks away. The Wojek guard must have some other crime to deal with right now. No business of yours, though! Instead, you make your way to the more open streets. The sun has risen by now, and the markets are lively. As you pass into the crowd, a few snatches of conversation catch your ears.

"-beautiful dragon motif no? You like, I cut the price down by 10 percent. Trust me, you want this, it's made by a distant land, a far-off clan of dragon-worshippers! Finest silk-"

"-tell of a place called Theros. I don't think it exists, though. There's nowhere that has enough empty space for statues big enough to tower over an entire city! Besides, you ever heard of Theros? I haven't before that!"

"It's a beautiful sword. Where did you say it was from?" "A mysterious and far-off land! Kamigarbo or something like that. They use an ancient art to make the steel finer than anything else! It's called a katana. Cuts through anything!" "Really? Tell me more-"

"What does it do?" "I don't know! I bought it off a traveler. Lovely gearwork, though. And look at the fiery stamp on it!"

There are shops of all kinds around you, and off to one side, a group of Rakdos clowns performing for coin. They don't seem to know you were interfering with Rakdos business and certainly don't recognize you - one's far too busy swallowing a fiery sword while three other clowns compete to juggle the most dangerous-looking blades.

• Locked thread