Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Thale is almost too busy looking at the goblin chef, the flames of the open grill dancing up and down, to notice the waiter slipping around behind him. He almost wants to reach out and grab one of the pieces of meat right out of the air as the chef tosses and twists, even though he knows that would probably cause him to catch fire right there. He settles for a long pull of a teacup instead as he listens to the muscular woman to his side drunkenly tell her tale.

"So pretty..." he murmurs as the shadows and lights dance in front of his eyes, turning to his dinner companions. "They don't...I don't think anybody did anything like this in Innistrad. Do they do this on--"

He feels a slight brush against his back, sees the people around him panicking and clutching at themselves, widens his eyes in confusion. "How do you lose your boots?" is his first thought--he's still not quite used to having anything on his person valuable enough to take, so he doesn't think to check his own purse until a few seconds after three other people excuse themselves to pursue their suspect violently. His coin purse is empty--but he remembers putting the last coins in the little upturned cloth hat because the chef was so good. What else did he have that was worth stealing...?

His hand brushes for an expected something, and touches nothing. And he flinches. That flower the white haired man had given him. The amazingly fresh one with the bright red thorns and bright blue petals, the one that he'd said was important, something about blooming and withering alongside himself. Where was it? He hadn't dropped it, he didn't see any smoke that would say it was burnt (and he hadn't keeled over, so...). Did the goblin everyone else was going after take it? Why would he do that?

He bows his head to the chef (who seems very confused why his audience is all leaving in the middle of his act), stands, and does his best to shadow the goblin everyone else is after. Unlike the three women, he moves quietly, muttering "pardon" and "excuse me" to those he passes. If the thief they all suspect is running from the drunkard who charges through walls, maybe the plant zombie can slip towards him unnoticed?

Everybody else is going loud. I think Thale will try to use Stealth and go soft.
[23:36:56] <Davin_Valkri> !r 4dF +3
[23:36:56] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /--+ +3 = 2

Davin Valkri posted:

High Concept--Triffid Body Snatcher of the Living Dead*

+3 Bloodworking--Sorin Markov's Test Subject
(Bloodworking, Magical Lore, Deceive, Notice, Provoke, Will--8 pts)

+2 Hell Gardener--Innistrad “Survivor”
(Athletics, Combat, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Stealth, Will--12 pts)

+1 Planeswalker--Walk like a Wizard, Gawk like a Tourist
(Empathy, Notice, Planar Lore, Rapport, Will--7 pts)

Omega--Walk Me Where Blue Roses Bloom

Skill Tree:
+5: Notice, Will
+4: Bloodworking, Provoke
+3: Deceive, Empathy, Magical Lore, Stealth
+2: Athletics, Combat, Physique
+1: Planar Lore, Rapport

Stunts:
Stop Hitting Yourselves: When using Bloodworking against sentient beings in combat, Thale can use any one stunt or weapon rating they have that adds to damage as if he had it himself.

Chancy Gardener: Spend an FP to use Deceive in place of any skills at +0.

How Do You Kill Someone That’s Already Dead?!: Thale can never be taken out by mundane means--the killing blow must always come a magical weapon, spell, or similar

Rose of Innistrad: Aspects and/or consequences created with social skills (Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport) have 2 free invokes.

Signature Aspect: Triffid Body Snatcher of the Living Dead

Stress:
Phys: OOO
Ment: OOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

FP 5/5 Phys OOO Ment OOOO

Thale finds himself stopping and staring through the kitchen door window, watching the altercation between angry restaurant owners and angry restaurant customers play out. For a brief moment he kind of regrets not wearing green--he could probably pass himself off as a bit of floral decoration if he turned his front towards the wall and had prepared beforehand. But standing stock still isn't really what he needs to do right now, is it.

Come to think of it, he could probably just head out the rear entrance right now, really. The winged woman and the smiling goblin and the panicked goblin all seem much more interested in his table mates. And the longer they talk, the longer the ones that had all their things have to get away, hide, put his flower (and the swordswoman's boots and anything else they'd taken) in some hiding spot. All the things he'd seen brigands try to do on the castle grounds...to bloody results. The memory of home is a reminder--stick your nose in the middle of a fight and you probably won't last...

Compelling Innistrad "Survivor" to leave you guys in the lurch while Thale tries to slip out another way! Sorry, guys!

Instead he ducks through another hole in the wall and slips outside. Now where did those goblin thieves run off to...?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 5/5 Phys OOO Ment OOOO

Why is this so...simple? Thale wonders to himself as he goes further down into the shadows of Ravnica. Well, maybe not "simple", but shouldn't they be trying to do something to shoo him away? Swarms of bats, clouds of dust, angry face-eating plants...Innistrad paranoia is whispering to him. The other fruit should be falling on his head any moment now.... He slides into the tunnel behind them, hair making a soft rustle as he reorients himself in the narrower passages. Any moment now.... They're lighting the torches, they'll burn him down...any moment now.

He's so focused on the goblins he almost doesn't see the hunting dogs. There it is. And he left all the people with swords and staves and things that are actually made to break people instead of plants at the restaurant! Ah, why did he have to run off on his own?! That's how he died the first time!

...but it's not his first time, and he has many more options now than he did then.

He balls his hand into a fist, and there's a soft ripping sound, like a fresh petal being squeezed and torn. He takes a deep breath, sniffs the perfume wafting out and (hopefully) towards the mastiffs. And he thinks to himself

Go away.

Time to see if body control works on dogs like it works on humanoids? Rolling Bloodworking to make these dogs stop sniffing my way!
[23:05:54] <DVAway> !r 4df +4
[23:05:55] <Krysmbot> DVAway, /-++ +4 = 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 6/5 Phys OOO Ment OOOO

It...it worked? Thale shrinks a bit further towards the wall just in case the hunting dogs decide to come back. But instead of barking dogs, he sees the restaurant party coming down the tunnel! With a sudden burst of confidence, he follows behind them further into the darkness...which rapidly becomes much less dark.

It's...terrible. In every sense of the word. Awe-inspiring and terrifying all in one. He's seen--or at least heard of--elaborate exorcisms or anti-exorcisms at home to know what this place is supposed to be. Ritual. Sacrifice. The presence of powers far beyond--

Everybody else takes the moment to jump in and say things and draw swords and bang on the floor. Fair...fair enough, maybe he can do that too? He darts forwards, flinching a bit from the heat and the light, moving as quickly as he can towards the altar and all the things--including his--strewn about it. He doesn't particularly care what in the Blind Eternities they want to do with his flower. Countering the effect will be good enough.

Would this be Magical Lore to figure out how to mess with what the goblins are doing?
[22:31:01] <Davin_Valkri> !r 4dF +3
[22:31:02] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -/++ +3 = 4

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Why must all the crazy people on the Planes be obsessed with Red magic? Black and Blue were just as potent, and much less likely to leave you singed. Necrotic, drowned, something not quite alive, sure, but not burned to a crisp. It's enough to make a zombie plant man sigh. Thale shakes his head and continues to examine the objects on the altar.

The ritual requires the destruction of pre-existing order. He can see a big bundle of seemingly random objects on the altar--the less damp and less dusty ones, including his flower, a bird, a necklace, a pair of boots, a feather, and a book, probably being what the goblins just took--but how in the Planes are they supposed to be ordered?! Well...maybe feather to jeweled bird is one option...but it could just as easily be jeweled bird to necklace...or maybe that's linked with the boots. Eventually he starts pairing off items that seem the strongest connected, moving them from their positions on the altar off to the side, like some twisted children's game. If some of the pieces are ordered, maybe the order of the whole will become clearer...?

This is probably some type of Overcome action. I'm going to use Magical Lore again.
[20:50:57] <Davin_Valkri> !r 4dF +3
[20:50:58] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +++/ +3 = 6

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

This children's game is actually doing something! Thale can barely believe it himself. It's like cutting away weeds and ivy that have built up around a flower starved for sunlight and water. A deadly flower. With...very deep roots? I'm a gardener, not a poet or a scholar! I don't know what I'm saying! I barely know how these things match!

The flower that's being brought to light is...Black? He almost sighs in relief. Black isn't going to burn him to ashes if he uses it the wrong way. It might pervert his soul for all eternity (Eternities? Is that the right term?) but, hey. His soul is already perverted. Were there degrees of soul perversion? But if he could get the Black separated from the Red...he knows how to work in Black.

After quickly glancing up to confirm that, eh, well, the people fighting the goblins don't really need his help, he sets his hand down in the center of the altar, a place that he's cleared of objects, and closes his eyes. He can feel tendrils flowing down his arm, out of his fingers...and possibly back. And that other magic might or might not be his--

This looks like a contest of Wills, to keep Thale from falling under the influence of the demon's mind-reading spell. Good thing Thale has high Will. Let's do it!
[00:33:23] <Davin_Valkri> !r 4dF +5
[00:33:23] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /+-+ +5 = 6

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 6-1/5 Phys OOO Ment XOOO

Can plants throw up?

The black mana creeping up Thale's arm and over his shoulder into the rest of him has a strange and unfamiliar feeling about it, much different from the mana he wields (how?! Aren't they both Black?), and by the time it gets to his neck, it makes him outright nauseous. He feels himself waver and stumble forward against the altar...but as soon as he puts his hands fully against the stone, everything becomes clear.

"So that's what they want?" he whispers to himself as the mana begins to settle. "Why would she--?"

The loud *CLANG* and *CRASH* and *AIIEEEEE!* of battle behind him tells him to stop thinking and start doing something else. Giant rakshasa, way too big for a pair of shears to pierce, what then can he do?

"Uh...hey!" He calls. And suddenly he finds himself channeling a different, much more blithe spirit altogether. He knocks on the altar loudly with his knuckles--ow--and forces a smile. "Uh, I didn't know demons like you had urges like that! Peeping on women in their dreams is kinda...beneath you, isn't it?"

And now they know he knows. If he tries to stomp his way and mulch him...that's what everybody else's huge swords are for, right?

Hey, Sorin Markov. Thanks for the advice in heckling others! Rolling Provoke with an FP for Sorin Markov's Test Subject to get the Rakshasa's attention on the wispy little plant zombie who's just tapped his spell instead of the angry warriors who want to take his head off!
[00:46:52] <Davin_Valkri> !r 4dF +6
[00:46:53] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -//- +6 = 4
If this connects call it something like Demon Heckler, maybe?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 6-1/5 Phys OOO Ment XOOO

"I think I understand more than you think, demon," Thale intones in a way that almost sounds cool. He manages to keep up the demeanor until the demon fades into the shadow and he feels the mana in the room begin to settle. Then he races over to the pile, grabs his flowers off the top, and practically kisses it, thorns be damned.

"As long as this is okay, I'll survive," he says to Gwenyvyn with a shrug. "So...what shall we do with the rest of these things? The ones that aren't ours, I mean."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

FP 5/5 Phys OOO Ment XOOO

Thale knows he can't have been in the catacombs for that long...maybe all that Black that came out of that ritual threw his sense of time off. Nevertheless, when he gets out into the market, he unashamedly basks and stretches in the warm rising sun. It never gets this warm in Innistrad. At least, the sun doesn't get this warm in Innistrad. Brands, ritual fires, angry torches, those get hot, but never pleasantly warm. And the markets are never this busy in Innistrad, or so full of strange things which are so obviously mana-filled even he can fill it, even if he can't tell their Color.

A place that sounds even warmer sounds even better right now, so as he follows the crowd and enjoys himself, he steers himself closer to the one talking about the stamped gearwork...

• Locked thread