Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

FP: OOOOO | Phys OOOO | Men OOO

Finding a hibachi restaurant on this plane had surprised Gwenyvyn, thought maybe it shouldn't have. With Dominaria devastated for the umpteenth time, Ravnica had become a popular stopover for planeswalkers. The dense urban environment had enough diversity - often deliberately bizarre - to hide the odd extra-planar person or influence.

That her dining companions were, for the most part, of equally far flung origins was only appropriate. Ever since that time rift mess, her kind had become less averse to congregating. Probably because gatherings were less likely to end in continent-devastating battles than before. In any case, Gwenyvyn enjoyed sharing her own tales over dinner, and even happier to hear new ones. It helped distract from how bad the saké was too. If the two planes were closer, she'd consider skipping out for a moment and getting a proper bottle.

Then her musings and her enjoyment both came to crashing halt. She had a sense it was going to be her turn to tell a tale in a moment, and wanted a prop for this one. Except it was gone. In fact, her entire coin purse was gone. She didn't care about that. Much. But her jeweled bird - that made her angry. It was her favorite momento of Rabiah. A gift from a friend. And an artifact with some minor power, even if no one she'd met had actually been able to figure out what it was supposed to do.

The elf leaps to her hooved feet, sending her chair toppling over. "They've robbed us!" she snaps to the others, right before she turns to chase the fleeing chef - only to crash into the next table. Cursing, she tosses chairs and tables out of the way as she tries to get untangled from the furniture.

Athletics: 4dF+4 1
Starting things out with a terrible roll.

Gwenyvyn the Meta-Historian posted:

ASPECTS:
Concept: Champion of Forgotten Yore
Lore-Warden (+3): The Meta-Historian
Planeswalker (+2): Refugee From a World That Never Was
Warrior-Poet (+1): History is Written by the Victors
Omega: Seeker of Beauty

SKILLS:
Superb (+5): Lore, Physique
Great (+4): Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Empathy, Notice, Provoke, Rapport
Good (+3): Evocation, Sorcery, Will
Free Improvements: Focused - Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Lore, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Will. Specialized - Lore.
Paid Improvements: Focused - Empathy, Evocation, Rapport, Sorcery.
Remaining Points: 0/30

STUNTS:
ARASHIKIRI-NO-TSURUGI [Artifact Megastunt, 2-benefits]

quote:

A soratami katana forged from meteoric iron, heated with lightning, quenched in the rains of a typhoon, it's tameshigiri performed on a wind spirit. Given to Gwenyvyn as a gift after she wrote a three-volume encyclopedia of Kamigawan swords.

Function: Cuts That Which Cannot Be Cut
Flaw: Hated By Air Elementals and Spirits

STUNTS:
BEAUTIFUL BLADE
+1 to attack with Combat. Weapon:2.

IMPOSSIBLY SHARP
Attacks you make with this weapon can damage Indestructible targets.

HISTORICAL REVISIONISM
Once per scene, when another character creates an advantage, you can take control of the aspect and any invokes it has.

YOTIAN PROSTHESIS
Absolutely stronger than any human (Physique), but at a cost.

WITNESS OF THE AGES
Signature aspect: The Meta-Historian.

WROTE THE BOOK ON IT [Megastunt, 2-benefits]
Once per scene, you may compel a known aspect of another character or a location without having to spend a fate point. Additionally, when you use Lore to create an advantage, on a success or success with style you can choose to exchange a free invocation for an additional aspect.

(Total benefits: 7 - 5 = 2 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

STRESS:
Physical: OOOO
Mental: OOO

WEIRD STUFF:

Weird Skill posted:

EVOCATION [1]
Summon a creature to make a physical attack.
Summon a creature to defend you against physical attack.
Summon a creature to overcome a physical obstacle.

Weird Skill posted:

LORE [0]
Use your education and theoretical knowledge to create or discover aspects, either with study or by remembering details.
Know things and solve problems based on your education and theoretical knowledge.

Weird Skill posted:

SORCERY [2]
Use magic to make a direct physical attack.
Counter attacks made with magic.
Counter an attempt to create advantages with magic.
Overcome obstacles created with magic.

Weird Mode posted:

LORE-WARDEN [12]
Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Empathy, Lore, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Rapport

Weird Mode posted:

PLANESWALKER [6]
Contacts, Evocation, Lore, Physique, Sorcery, Will

Weird Mode posted:

WARRIOR-POET [8]
Athletics, Combat, Lore, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Will

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

FP: OOOOO | Phys OOOO | Men OOO

Gwenyvyn pries herself free of Ranah's grip, finding her footing and dusting herself off. While Mercy is talking to the owners, she reaches over and grabs the chef. She searches his pockets for any of their things, though she suspects the other boggarts were the ones who did the pick-pocketing.

She doesn't bother putting him down when she's done, regardless. "Where did your friends go with our things?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

FP: OOOOO | Phys OOOO | Mntl OOO

Gwenyvyn watches her noisier companions with some bemusement, then adjusts her sword belt and turns to the proprietors. She gives them a bow, "Thank you for your hospitality," turns smartly on her heel, and follows Cadaveria out. As she walks, she pulls out a small bound notebook and pencil, making a few notes to herself for later. More than a few pages of a chronicle could come out of just the dinner conversation, and she'd not be pleased to forget them.

But as usual, sword work took immediate precedence over pen work. Burning the jeweled bird is probably a very poor idea. Besides, she wants to see what happens.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

With Mercy drawing attention upon their entry, Gwenyvyn takes the opportunity to scan the room. It's good to know where their things are, and what dangers and opportunities are available. Plenty of threats, to be sure. But maybe also some things to their advantage.

That demon, for example. A familiar looking demon. Unless she misses her guess, they've met before.

Trying to spot our things.
Notice: 4dF+4 4

And creating an advantage with Lore, specific trying to reveal one about the demon.
Lore (Create an Advantage): 4dF+5 4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenyvn stood still as Ramah and Mercy charged into the fray, and took the time to consider. Inaction could be weapon as deadly as action, if the moment was right. Such as with Cadaveria drawing the demon's attention. Kylgrath did not fear death, and so often found combat dull. He may well choose to ignore the opportunity for bloodshed if a more interesting opportunity is available.

The chaotic combat spilled over towards her, two of the goblins - so like the boggarts she remembered of old - ran screaming towards her. With an easy motion so long practiced it did not require thought, she draw her blade and struck in a single swift motion.

There was also the altar to consider, of course. But it seemed Thale was dealing with the ritual itself. So they would need to buy him time, which left the goblins as the primary threat. With that decided, Gwenyvyn turned her attention back to that fight, to see what her attack had wrought.

Attacking the goblins, Weapon 2 on a hit, ignores whatever the equivalent of Bulletproof is for us.
Attack with Combat: 4dF+5 4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

FP: XOOOO | Phys OOOO | Mntl OOO

Gwenivyn keeps moving, sword and steps describing circular paths as she turns to face one foe and another. The little creatures are quick.

But not as quick as her blade. Seeing that their master has joined the fray, Gwenyvyn suddenly launches an all out assault, pressing into the horde. She wants their attention.

"I'll deal with these! " She calls to her companions. "Kylgrath could do with more dance partners!"

Defense (Athletics); Attack (Combat): 4dF+4 2 4dF+5 6
They'll get a boost on me, looks like.

Gonna see if we can take down this little horde fast. Invoking History is Written by the Victors to make my attack an 8. It remains Weapon 2.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 3, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The goblins' suicidal attack isn't entirely unexpected. The question with boggarts was never if they would attempt some insane, self-destructive stunt, but what of many choices available they would make. This one isn't a poor choice. Not in the confined spaces of Ravnica. Unfortunately for Skurrbag, there's enough of his fellows remaining to overpower him, but not enough to get a good velocity on the throw.

Gwenyvyn takes the simplest approach to avoiding the attack. In a move that has nothing to do with Kamigawan kenjutsu, the elf leaps like a deer, passing the hapless goblin midair and coming down in midst of his comrades. As Skurrbag ends his futile flight in a tremendous blast of noise and fire, Gwenyvyn sees to the others with cold steel.

Defense (Athletics): 4dF+4 4 4dF+5 5
Invoking Carved to Bits to make my defense a 6 and avoid damage. I'll also invoke Horrific Burns (using a free invoke if it has one, otherwise with my WROTE THE BOOK ON IT stunt). That makes the attack 7 with W:2.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenyvyn flicks the excess blood from her blade, then wipes the last of it away with a small piece of tissue, letting it drop on the floor afterwards. Sheathing the sword, she walks over to the altar and reclaims her lost possession.

"That was well done, I think." She examines the other items there, and glances back at the others. "I hope no one's hurt too badly?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenyvyn follows after the others, having taken back only her trinket and let the others split the rest. As she walks, she makes notes in a small journal, managing the navigate the crowd at the same time thanks to long practice. As she does so, she keeps cocking her head to one side or the other, picking up certain salient words in the background chatter.

Catching up with the group as she tucks away her journal, the elf catches their attention, speaking quietly. "There's a lot of extraplanar goods and information being traded through this market. A lot more than usual, even for this plane. Something's going on."

• Locked thread