Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

Then, if I am not allowed to personally call out someone for doing something offensive because it doesn't touch me, what should I do?

You mean "doesn't affect" you not "doesn't touch" you - but that's just requiring you properly understand the language of the people you're trying to interact with here.

What you mean to imply is that you believe attacking problematic language is a moral imperative and that not being affected directly by it doesn't change the need to address the harmful connotations. Is this correct?

Puistokemisti posted:

Ignore it and let it happen? Find someone who is affected by it, explain the offense to them and then bring them in to call the guilty party out?

It's spelled 'offence' - as you'd know if you bothered to learn the language. And you seem to suggest that you actually care about said people, and yet here you are not defending it on moral grounds but on the idea that you don't have someone on hand to justify your position. Cute.

Puistokemisti posted:

Maybe we could organize some professional offendees who can be brought in to take offense of any situation, thus ensuring that not slur goes uncalled, no matter how few people it affects.

So you admit you're just desperately grabbing something that doesn't make you look as bad as your racial position? You misspelled offence again, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Offense is a fine spelling, and not the real offence to be had here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually it is not:

'Offensive' is fine as the s is part of the verb-form.

'Offence' is the noun.

This is reflected in words like 'licence' and 'licensing' or 'defence' and 'defensive.'

s: verb

c: noun

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

I'm dyslexic, please be more understanding of people different from you. Also, attacking someone's idioms just because they are different from yours is not very welcoming, unless you want to force yours on me.

Also,
http://grammarist.com/spelling/offence-offense/

quote:

Other than how they are spelled and where they are used, there is no difference between offence and offense. Offense is the preferred spelling in the United States, and offence prevails in all the main varieties of English from outside the U.S.
:confused:
Firefox's spell check doesn't even recognize 'offence' as word and suggests offense as replacement.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The actual answer is that people inside the U.S. use offense, while majority of the rest of the world uses offence.

Edit: Beaten like a poor defence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

I'm dyslexic, please be more understanding of people different from you.

That's not how dyslexia works.

Nice deflection, though.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I think its necessary for us to take care of the less fortunate of us and I welcome those refugees here who make it here.

But why exactly is it good that Sweden is moving them on here, it baffles me a bit that the people who come from way worse off places here complain about the food, lack of things to do and it being cold and dark.

From my understanding, what theyre experiencing now is part of establishing them here, I dont think they should be running around without being registered as asylum seekers first.

Why complain about free stuff, I understand where theyre coming from, no one wants to live like that but its the process.

But its a bit weird seeing presumably Americans in this thread moaning about the European responsibility while USA does very little for the refugees.

I personally dont feel Finland is a poo poo heap at the moment, none of the things going on have personally touched me. But then again, Im on student welfare.

But in the end, if you wanna come here come, I think everyone should be welcome, but its kinda weird hearing from asylum seekers that this place is poo poo and stuff they get is bad.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Actually it is not:

'Offensive' is fine as the s is part of the verb-form.

'Offence' is the noun.

This is reflected in words like 'licence' and 'licensing' or 'defence' and 'defensive.'

s: verb

c: noun

There's nothing worse than proud and ignorant pedantry. :allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

That's not how dyslexia works.

Nice deflection, though.

Not everyone uses British English, aggressive weirdo.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Cerebral Bore posted:

Strangely enough there are places in the world where everybody over the age of five is lactose intolerant, which is something that one maybe should take into account when people from those parts of the world flee to this frozen shithole of ours.

But I'm sure that they're just ungrateful bastards and don't want to eat our food out of pure spite.

The whole 80+ percent of the rest of the world is lactose intolerant is kind of what I meant with that comment (leaving a lot to interpretation, I admit). Seems to me that things like refugee shelters (or gently caress, soup kitchens, etc.) should be serving pretty much everything lactose free to be on the safe side, if they aren't already.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

punakone posted:

I think its necessary for us to take care of the less fortunate of us and I welcome those refugees here who make it here.

But why exactly is it good that Sweden is moving them on here

Jesus Christ, that's what we needed, more insufferable whining Finns in this loving thread.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Milk soup with fish is worth a little stomach ache.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's an interesting dynamic playing out where Finland is both nice enough that that's what's inciting people to try to get there instead of stopping in the Balkans and the sudden influx of refugees will wreck the humming economy, while simultaneously being a jobless barren tundra so please don't go there.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hey ya'll lactose posters who say it's ok to complain about free food people serve you.

doverhog posted:

Milk soup with fish is worth a little stomach ache.

The people who protested about the food in Finland were actually actually served beef, rice and vegetables. The woman running the food service also says they've been serving a special menu for weeks, because the soups, porridges and potatoes who they prepare for Finns do not pass muster for the people in the centers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you accept somebody's help, you automatically forfeit all dignity and regard for your own well-being, and must contain yourself with sitting in the corner as quiet as a mouse, being completely servile towards your benefactor like the parasite you are.

Conversely if you show your benevolence by accepting somebody's plea for help, it absolves you from all criticism and judgment, you literally can't do any wrong, and must be always shown proper respect and gratitude by the lowly creatures who accepted the bargain, and thus allowed themselves to become lesser than you.

lol at Finns expecting people to be wooed by their charity when they do the bare minimum required of them by the law, and show nothing but disdain for those who have received their "grace". Selfless and virtuous you loving assholes are not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So I Googled the website you keep linking because the whole layout is suspicious and looks like a typical cheap tabloid rag website, and sure enough:

How tabloids like Ilta-Sanomat reinforce our prejudices against immigrants and refugees
http://www.migranttales.net/how-tabloids-like-ilta-sanomat-reinforce-our-prejudices-against-immigrants-and-refugees/

That's an article from 2013 and traces the incessant xenophobic campaigns of this tabloid over past decades, not just years. Turns out your favourite news source is a piece of racist, fear-mongering poo poo.

That clinches it, you are literally the lowest common denominator, willfully ignorant bigot, the same sort that reads Murdoch papers and votes for UKIP in the UK, or for Jobbik in Hungary.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

So I Googled the website you keep linking because the whole layout is suspicious and looks like a typical cheap tabloid rag website, and sure enough:

How tabloids like Ilta-Sanomat reinforce our prejudices against immigrants and refugees
http://www.migranttales.net/how-tabloids-like-ilta-sanomat-reinforce-our-prejudices-against-immigrants-and-refugees/

That's an article from 2013 and traces the incessant xenophobic campaigns of this tabloid over past decades, not just years. Turns out your favourite news source is a piece of racist, fear-mongering poo poo.

That clinches it, you are literally the lowest common denominator, willfully ignorant bigot, the same sort that reads Murdoch papers and votes for UKIP in the UK, or for Jobbik in Hungary.

Migrant Tales is the equivalent of Stormfront, you fool, run by a single paranoid nutcase. It's much like the "Jew conspiracy" blogs and sites that are 13 in a dozen. If you take it at face value, without knowing anything about Finland really, it makes you look really bad and clinches you as someone who quickly googles conspiracy theories, and upon finding something you like, immediately believes it.

Ilta-Sanomat, Ilta-Lehti and Helsingin Sanomat are the three major newspapers in Finland, with hundreds of reporters among them, not some fringe poo poo. This is double fun because most of our newspaper are super immigration positive and constantly try to push out stuff that gives a positive spin in regards to asylum seeking and thus forth.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

punakone posted:

But its a bit weird seeing presumably Americans in this thread moaning about the European responsibility while USA does very little for the refugees.

The U.S. is one of the, if not the biggest takers of refugees in the world.

So how many thousands of refugees from countries like Honduras, Venezuela, Vietnam, Iran, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. has your country taken in? I'm guessing next to none.

The U.S. has experienced multiple refugee crises without Europe caring, why should Americans suddenly start caring about the immigrant crisis in Europe?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Guess what, the most popular papers are often the worst. Also I guess that not supporting the "foreigners are ungrateful brats and should be sent back" qualifies one for being a literal Nazi? What?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Guess what, the most popular papers are often the worst. Also I guess that not supporting the "foreigners are ungrateful brats and should be sent back" qualifies one for being a literal Nazi? What?

A regular newspaper reports about an incident correctly, you throw a tantrum, find some fringe site run by a single loonie who is so far out there even our most super-liberal, immigration supporting, and racism occupied parties stay away from it, use it as proof of something, and start yelling about prejudices. You are not very smart.

I guess the thing is, do you think the Finnish paper just made up the stuff about beef and rice, and the asylum seekers are actually being poisoned instead? Or do you just take offense in any news that can, in some way, paint the asylum seekers in less than positive light?

I mean who cares about beef and rice all in all, but it's crazy how many posters threw their panties in a bunch about lactose faster than greazed lightning. It seems anything negative about the asylum seekers causes a sort of systems shutdown or kernel panic. Even if the piece of news is real, people like you grasp at the last straw to "make it not so" by finding conspiracy blogs or simply announcing "well they have the right to complain so ur dumb, dumb, wäääägh, rrääääägh!" and internet scream like a monkey throwing poo poo at humans.

(Of course they have the right to complain, but that isn't going to garner any symphaties in Finland. Also, if escaping immediate death and torture, one would imagine you would be grateful instead of prostesting against food, but whatever.)

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

The U.S. is one of the, if not the biggest takers of refugees in the world.

So how many thousands of refugees from countries like Honduras, Venezuela, Vietnam, Iran, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc. has your country taken in? I'm guessing next to none.

The U.S. has experienced multiple refugee crises without Europe caring, why should Americans suddenly start caring about the immigrant crisis in Europe?

Thanks for actually addressing a point in my Post. I will admit that I did not think of that, we did get vietnamese refugees back when, but obviously not on the same level as the USA I think.

But how many times has Europe been responsible for those refugee crises in the Americas? Indochina we can trace to French of course.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Ilta-Sanomat is a tabloid rag, yes. Also it should be noted that the source for Ligur's last silver bullet rebuttal is a spokesperson for the catering company that has been providing these meals. i.e. the same people that have allegedly hosed up here.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Cerebral Bore posted:

Ilta-Sanomat is a tabloid rag, yes. Also it should be noted that the source for Ligur's last silver bullet rebuttal is a spokesperson for the catering company that has been providing these meals. i.e. the same people that have allegedly hosed up here.

So the whole stuff is made up, just to make asylum seekers look bad. Is that what you are saying?

:tinfoil:

Also do you read and take at face value what Migrant Tales posts :haw:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suppose we should add the concept of a company lying to cover its own rear end to the long list of things that Ligur doesn't understand, where it can join concepts such as statistics and how national debt works.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I suppose you did not answer. But oh yeah, everything that could give a negative spin written about migrants has to be a conspiracy and a lie. Thumbs up, you paranoid cretin.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Everybody else is crazy, but I'm an airplane.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

punakone posted:

Thanks for actually addressing a point in my Post. I will admit that I did not think of that, we did get vietnamese refugees back when, but obviously not on the same level as the USA I think.

But how many times has Europe been responsible for those refugee crises in the Americas? Indochina we can trace to French of course.

There's a strong argument to be made that English common law led to the success of colonies like the U.S. and Canada.

The Spanish and French really hosed up everything south of the Rio Grande.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you don't accept everything that somebody tells you at face value, you're a paranoid cretin. Now let me tell you about how them swarthy people are all lying.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ligur posted:

So the whole stuff is made up, just to make asylum seekers look bad. Is that what you are saying?

:tinfoil:

Also do you read and take at face value what Migrant Tales posts :haw:
It's an extraordinary and very strange claim that this newspaper makes and some of the biggest mass-tabloid papers in Europe have already been caught making up bullshit stories about immigrants to sell more papers before.

As a result, any sane person would dismiss that story until there is some conformation by others papers. That's how you properly use media as a grown up and I'm sorry you never got that taught in school or life. Critical thinking is kinda important in western society and it's gonna be hard without it for you in life. :(

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

There's a strong argument to be made that English common law led to the success of colonies like the U.S. and Canada.

The Spanish and French really hosed up everything south of the Rio Grande.

Welp, here goes my memory again, I agree that colonization of the Americas is partly to blame, no idea about the success of common law part, can you point me to any reading? Sounds interesting. But in a more near history, isnt USA the one that hosed around in South America along with USSR the most?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The new name for the thread should be Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > The Refugee Crisis - a crisis of poisonous salmon soup

waitwhatno posted:

It's an extraordinary and very strange claim that this newspaper makes and some of the biggest mass-tabloid papers in Europe have already been caught making up bullshit stories about immigrants to sell more papers before.

The claim isn't that extraordinary. Several newspapers have reported about the food protesting. This kind of thing is almost regular in Swedish local news, not extraordinary. Care to mention some of the bullshit stories though?

quote:

As a result, any sane person would dismiss that story until there is some conformation by others papers. That's how you properly use media as a grown up and I'm sorry you never got that taught in school or life. Critical thinking is kinda important in western society and it's gonna be hard without it for you in life. :(

Think for a moment. I made one short post about asylum seekers protesting about food and causing police work with other activities. I thought that would be the start and end of it. But it wasn't. People freaked out, that can't be!

So I provided links. One had a short sidenote about salmon soup. People took the salmon soup, lactose poisoning at face value, and repeatedly posted about it here, even though it was mentioned only in passing in one tabloid rag paper, and the soup was not even directly related to the protesting that took place. Nevermind all that, several people immediately dismissed the whole thing as reasonable protesting against poison soup, with no other sources available. And all felt well about themselves.

Yet, when it came up that the protesters were served beef and rice and not soup when a reporter went to find out, instead of taking that at face value as well, posters screamed in pain, demanded more sources, suspect the source is lying, try to find moral justification to the protesting soup or not, require multiple credible sources instead of tabloid rags (which were fine as sources before in this case), one even started scouring conspiracy sites to somehow just make it not so, and finally you come here to tell me how to read news properly.

See the discrepancy?

Ligur fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 1, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You made like five separate snarky remarks about the refugees being too uppity for your liking due to complaining about lovely food.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Some in this thread have been calling for pushing 'illegal immigrants' back a la Australia. Here's on asylum-seeker's story who was forced back to Syria by the Australian government.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-01/the-asylum-seeker-the-government-convinced-to-return-to-syria/6816336

quote:

The 19th Syrian: The asylum seeker the Australian Government convinced to return to a war zone
Lateline
By Ginny Stein

For weeks the trail of the 19th Syrian had gone cold.

He and 18 other Syrians were being held in Australian-run detention centres, but he was the only one the Federal Government managed to persuade to return home.

He was known as EDE 043 — an identifier assigned to him based on the boat he arrived on — but his real name is Eyad.

The chicken farmer fled his village in Syria's Daraa province more than two years ago, leaving his pregnant wife behind with family, with a plan of reaching the safe haven of Australia and then sending for her.

He made it to Christmas Island by boat on August 4, 2013 and was later transferred to Manus Island.

Eyad was repatriated from Manus back to Syria in August this year. Contact with him was lost.

Lateline can reveal however that 29-year-old Eyad is alive and after a long journey back to Syria, where he says he was jailed and tortured, he has made it home to his wife and the daughter who was born in his absence.

More than 220,000 people have already died in Syria's civil war and more than 4 million people have fled the country.

Agencies like the International Organisation for Migration and the United Nations do not facilitate the return of Syrians to the war zone.

But emails between Department of Immigration employees that were obtained under Freedom of Information by The Guardian show Australia has been encouraging Syrians in detention to go home.

"I was very open and frank with the transferees, I described the options that they have and I was clear that they would not be settled in Australia or a third country," one email states.

"The transferees were visibly upset and quite anxious.

"They were quite adamant that I would be sending them home to their death."

In the search to find out what happened to Eyad, Lateline spoke to a detainee on Manus Island who was friends with him.

The man, who Lateline has chosen not to name, said Australian authorities are continuing to exert pressure on Syrians to return home.
Do you know more about this story? Please email lateline@your.abc.net.au

He said that message was given to him as recently as two weeks ago.

"Anything with immigration and the Transfield, they tell me, 'Why you didn't go back to Syria? Why you stay here?" he said.

"I say, 'I cannot go back to Syria because when I enter Syria I will be dead'."

He said Eyad became sick with kidney stones while he was on Manus Island and was convinced he was going to die.

"He want to leave for Syria... he say I don't want to be dead in this compound jail here in Manus Island," he said.
Back to Syria: The journey home

And so, just over a month ago, Eyad was given $US2,310 by the Australian Government and flown off Manus Island.

Escorted by two Australian Immigration Department officials, they flew with him first to Singapore, then on to Qatar and Jordan, before putting him on a plane to fly home alone to the Syrian capital, Damascus.

From there he sent a message to another friend in an Australian-run detention centre.

"I'm leaving now. I'm going out of range. Please pray for me," it said.

Two of the last people to have any contact with Eyad are fellow-Syrians being held at Villawood detention centre in Sydney.

One day I am expecting myself to be killed or arrested. In Syria, there are two sects. Either you are a killer or you are the killed person.
Eyad

One of them comes from the same Syrian village as Eyad and they made the journey from there to Australia together.

The men in Villawood said Eyad had contacted them after he left Manus to say he was going to try and escape somewhere in transit but that plan failed and since he had landed in Damascus, his friends had heard nothing.

Daraa province, where Eyad is from, is one of the most dangerous provinces in the country.

It is where the Syrian uprising began in 2011.

Eyad's village of Al-Harra is at the epicentre of a conflict between a collection of opposition groups and the Syrian government army.

Elaine Pearson, the Australian director of Human Rights Watch, said crimes against humanity had been committed in Daraa.

"This is the equivalent of dropping someone in the middle of an active war zone," she said.

"We have documented barrel bombs being dropped by the Assad regime.

"There's been intense fights between the rebels and Syrian government forces.

"So this is certainly not a safe place to be sending someone back to."
EDE 043 makes contact

After meeting with the men at Villawood, Lateline received a phone call from someone who said they had been in contact with Eyad and they passed on a phone number.

Remarkably, more than a month after he was flown off Manus Island, Eyad was at the other end of the phone line.
A destroyed home in Al Harra, Syria
Photo: Eyad's house was destroyed during bombing in Al-Harra. (Supplied)

"My number is EDE 043," he said.

Eyad said he had tried to escape from the Australian immigration officials who had escorted him back to Syria.

"When I went to Qatar, in Doha airport, I tried to escape because I wanted to go to Turkey," he said.

"There is a refugee camp in Turkey and once I am in that refugee camp in Turkey, it is easy to get my wife and my daughter to come live with me in that refugee camp."

Eyad also explained why contact was lost with him for so long.

"I was worried when I get to Syria to be killed or put in jail, and this is what happened. As soon as I get to Damascus I was 20 days in jail," he said.

He was singled out by government officials when he landed in Damascus - his home village marking him as a dissenter.

Eyad said for 20 days he was tortured by Syrian government intelligence officers, who had found the cash given to him by the Australian Government and accused him of being a financier of the Syrian revolution.

"They hit me on my face and on my back, on my chest," he said.

Eyad was released and made the dangerous journey back to his hometown and his family. His house had been destroyed and his wife injured.

"Every day those Syrian planes come to our area ... those times they throw four barrels of explosives and they are killing children and you can watch the news and see for yourself," he said.
Eyad's daughter
Photo: Eyad's two-year-old daughter was born while he was in detention. (Supplied)

He said even now living in the middle of the war zone, his life is better than it was on Manus Island because he finally got to meet his two-year-old daughter.

"She is very clever and you can communicate very easily with her. She understands quickly," he said.

Eyad said he still feels anguish over the choice he had to make to come back to his wife and daughter, knowing the prospect of death was also a reality.

"One day I am expecting myself to be killed or arrested," he said.

"In Syria, there are two sects. Either you are a killer or you are the killed person."

Lateline contacted the Department of Immigration for comment.

The Department responded with a statement saying it "assists and supports the Government of Papua New Guinea with any individuals who seek to voluntarily return to their country of origin".

The Department said they do not comment on individual cases.

Watch Ginny Stein's full report on the 19th Syrian tonight on Lateline at 9.30pm (AEST) on ABC News 24 or 10.30pm on ABC TV.

Topics: immigration, unrest-conflict-and-war, government-and-politics, syrian-arab-republic, australia

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

You made like five separate snarky remarks about the refugees being too uppity for your liking due to complaining about lovely food.

Who cares, the point is was the food protesting thing real or not, I gave links to confirm it, and why then, when a "tabloid rag" mentions salmon soup which causes belly ache and might be conductive to protesting it's credible and everyone is happy and pat each other in the back, oh yeah that's just reasonable,

But when a "tabloid rag" reports the protesters were served beef and rice instead and already are on a special menu, it isn't credible anymore, steinrokkans start googling conspiracy sites, and several posters throw a fit and someone lectures me about reading news correctly.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ligur posted:

Who cares, the point is was the food protesting thing real or not, I gave links to confirm it, and why then, when a "tabloid rag" mentions salmon soup which causes belly ache and thus, is conductive to protesting, it's credible and everyone is happy and pat each other in the back, oh yeah that's just reasonable, but when a "tabloid rag" reports the protesters were served beef and rice instead and already are on a special menu, it isn't credible anymore, steinrokkans start googling conspiracy sites, and several posters throw a fit and someone lectures me about reading news correctly.

Do you think it's reasonable to refoule asylum seekers because they complained about the food? If not, what's your problem?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I suppose we have to add the credibility of sources to the list of things that Ligur doesn't understand, along with most everything else pertaining to journalism.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ligur posted:

The new name for the thread should be Debate & Discussion: The Problem Attic > The Refugee Crisis - a crisis of poisonous salmon soup

The claim isn't that extraordinary. Several newspapers have reported about the food protesting. This kind of thing is almost regular in Swedish local news, not extraordinary. Care to mention some of the bullshit stories though?

Think for a moment. I made one short post about asylum seekers protesting about food and causing police work with other activities. I thought that would be the start and end of it. But it wasn't. People freaked out, that can't be!

So I provided links. One had a short sidenote about salmon soup. People took the salmon soup, lactose poisoning at face value, and repeatedly posted about it here, even though it was mentioned only in passing in one tabloid rag paper, and the soup was not even directly related to the protesting that took place. Nevermind all that, several people immediately dismissed the whole thing as reasonable protesting against poison soup, with no other sources available. And all felt well about themselves.

Yet, when it came up that the protesters were served beef and rice and not soup when a reporter went to find out, instead of taking that at face value as well, posters screamed in pain, demanded more sources, suspect the source is lying, try to find moral justification to the protesting soup or not, require multiple credible sources instead of tabloid rags (which were fine as sources before in this case), one even started scouring conspiracy sites to somehow just make it not so, and finally you come here to tell me how to read news properly.

See the discrepancy?

I have no idea about getting any panties in a bunch. I just saw it being discussed and answered, that's all.

I know two homeless people here and I know how they feed them in the shelters. It's certainly not as nice as rice and beef, but nobody ever complains because its freaking free food. So, the refugees complaining about rice and beef, after surviving in lovely Turkish refugee camps and being on the road for a long time is an extraordinary claim for me. It might be true, but I'm not gonna take a tabloids word for it. Why would you?

BILD, Germanies largest newspaper and a tabloid, made up a story about EMT workers being regularly stabbed in refugee camps and having to wear body armor as a result. The story was completely made up, including a manipulated photo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not even the tabloid's word. The head of the local Red Cross said that refugees have been complaining about stomach problems, which were probably caused by lactose intolerance due to the catering company serving food with milk in it. Then the catering company claimed that they totally didn't do that. No actual investigation by the tabloid has been done.

So naturally this must mean that the Red Cross is lying and the catering company is totally telling the truth, because this interpretation supports Ligur's claim and this is how the credibility of sources is determined. Also everybody else is crazy and biased.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

punakone posted:

Welp, here goes my memory again, I agree that colonization of the Americas is partly to blame, no idea about the success of common law part, can you point me to any reading? Sounds interesting. But in a more near history, isnt USA the one that hosed around in South America along with USSR the most?

Fair enough, I'm too lazy to cite my sources.

I'd still prefer to get a New York necktie than a Haitian Necktie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People are served food they aren't used to -> They have medial problems -> They report said problems to the Red Cross workers running the facility -> THE ARABS SPIT ON OUR GENEROSITY

So from what I gather the refugees weren't really complaining about food, they complained about being sick, and Red Cross determined it was because of the food.

• Locked thread