Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
If the DLC wasn't bullshit enough, once it's time for the 2nd run through the stages, you get your own choice of vehicle, but the tradeoff is that the time limits for the trophies get even stricter. Even with great vehicles that you have solid control on, you shouldn't be surprised if you finish a few seconds below the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I can't entirely hate a game that made the Kinetikos.h able to exist. But half the logs choice challenges are the game actively hating you, and the other half are just boring.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also Trophy Thomas is basically a tumblr fursona

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Kurieg posted:

I can't entirely hate a game that made the Kinetikos.h able to exist. But half the logs choice challenges are the game actively hating you, and the other half are just boring.

Is there a video of that still in existence? The only one I could find (on viddler) is dead.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Is there a video of that still in existence? The only one I could find (on viddler) is dead.

I'm pretty sure Dex rebuilt it in his LP of the game, which is still on youtube.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the one from Roor's LP lasted about three times as long, but that's probably because it's very existance is due to the vagaries of the Havok Physics Engine.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Really, whether or not the Kinetikos keeps going depends on the integrity of the block-made wheel as well as whether it stays in its shell after a hard impact, because those two main factors determines whether or not it keeps going. I think Dex intentionally picked a run with a short duration, though. That's okay - a couple of other goons have longer attempts, and Dex uses it for later Jinjo speed challenges because the bike he was using no longer cut it for getting the required speed.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
dex

dex why

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I believe Roorelooo's variant of the Kinetikos was completely enclosed, which might have contributed to its longevity; the block-wheel had fewer non-glitch opportunities to get jarred out of place (not that that should have made so much difference...). If nothing else I know I've seen, someplace, an enclosed Kinetikos that seemed to have that effect.

anilEhilated posted:

Don't tell me Gilbert and co. wouldn't stick a joke there.

I've played more than one foreign adventure game that billed itself as a comedy and only appeared to qualify if you defined "comedy" as "not actively going out of your way to be a drama," because if you wanted jokes you were in the wrong place.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 19, 2015

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Dr. Buttass posted:

I believe Roorelooo's variant of the Kinetikos was completely enclosed, which might have contributed to its longevity; the block-wheel had fewer non-glitch opportunities to get jarred out of place (not that that should have made so much difference...). If nothing else I know I've seen, someplace, an enclosed Kinetikos that seemed to have that effect.

Yes, the Kinetikos.h had a rail-shell to help keep the wheel in its place, as well as to provide some damage control. A slightly heavier version had the self-repair parts built into it to help things out, but I believe Roo had not unlocked them at that point of the LP, and thus they were left off.

EDIT: Found a picture, but I can't find the description I gave of the physics, since the thread (3188254) seems to be dead.

And a .gif:

Lorak fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 19, 2015

Vilemoon
Jan 4, 2013

Unsound Of Mind.

kalonZombie posted:

dex

dex why

You asked for this Kalon. Just wait for me to make my addition to the thread..

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

mateo360 posted:

UPDATE: Seven Samurai 20XX

Chapter 6 - Justice for Oneself

The game has not even begun to Bullshit.

I just wanted to quote this so it didn't get completely swallowed up by Banjo.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Lorak posted:

Yes, the Kinetikos.h had a rail-shell to help keep the wheel in its place, as well as to provide some damage control. A slightly heavier version had the self-repair parts built into it to help things out, but I believe Roo had not unlocked them at that point of the LP, and thus they were left off.

Naw, like...instead of a frame like that, the one I saw was a whole enclosed box. So you couldn't really see inside to understand what was going on if you were in the audience and not familiar with this particular little joy of the physics engine it was just kind of a magic "keep going forever" machine. The thing was bananas heavy and whoever was doing it, since it was clearly not Roorelooo, picked the thing up and laboriously inched it to the end of the ramp over like...I don't even remember how long. It wasn't until later LPs started using this "frame" model to reduce the weight that I really followed exactly how this thing was supposed to work.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I don't recall the big box model, though if memory serves Lorak named the kineticos.h that way because he was using the letter at the end to number the design iterations, so maybe that was an earlier design, or simultaneous innovation from someone else, as I wouldn't be surprised if someone else had clued into how abusable the physics are. Speedruns of the game have some really funny moments because of it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vilemoon posted:

You asked for this Kalon. Just wait for me to make my addition to the thread..

I thought Conker had its own thread though?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Ooh excellent. I'm glad I found this thread. I've been trying to think of something to do for a first LP and have plenty of awful games from indie bundles. I should be able to get something up once I'm done with family crap and can locate a suitably terrible game.

Disclaimer: I'm lazy and a poor college student noob so whatever it is will be shoddily edited and probably have bad sound quality.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Earnestly posted:

Nuts and bolts isn't a bad game.

It's not a bad game, but the DLC is loving awful.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

Ooh excellent. I'm glad I found this thread. I've been trying to think of something to do for a first LP and have plenty of awful games from indie bundles. I should be able to get something up once I'm done with family crap and can locate a suitably terrible game.

Disclaimer: I'm lazy and a poor college student noob so whatever it is will be shoddily edited and probably have bad sound quality.

:justpost: anyway. Nowhere to go but up when it comes to familiarizing yourself with video related stuff.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Yeah, don't worry about quality or whatever. People didn't give a poo poo when making these games, why should you give a poo poo making these videos?

Star Trek gets an inordinate amount of effort put into it considering I have to go through two different sets of raw footage. I'm glad I do though. The game breaks in spectacular fashion for only one of us sometimes.

Speaking of which, more Star Trek is finally on its way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I don't recall the big box model, though if memory serves Lorak named the kineticos.h that way because he was using the letter at the end to number the design iterations, so maybe that was an earlier design, or simultaneous innovation from someone else, as I wouldn't be surprised if someone else had clued into how abusable the physics are. Speedruns of the game have some really funny moments because of it.

The problem with the box, model, as I understand it, was that it was too heavy to fly the way the .h does.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is from a while ago, but I only just now finished catching up with the thread and feel I need to post this.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Wanamingo posted:

This is from a while ago, but I only just now finished catching up with the thread and feel I need to post this.

<Interesting screenshot>

So the first thing I actually noticed was that one-hundred percenting the game doesn't seem to be too difficult. Most of the absurdly hard ones I play have ~.5% or less of all players achieving that. It took me a bit before I noticed that first achievement there. I'm rather curious as to how those 11.8% managed that feat.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
They probably bought the game, maybe as part of a bundle, and never installed it or started it. I don't think achievements count until you start playing the game.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I always kind of find it interesting, with games that have a "beat the tutorial/first level/instruction manual" achievement, seeing how many people bought the game and then never even got that far, because they never bothered to play it.

This is the first time I think I've seen one such achievement where the existence of the achievement itself is depressing, rather than just the numbers...

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Buttass posted:

I always kind of find it interesting, with games that have a "beat the tutorial/first level/instruction manual" achievement, seeing how many people bought the game and then never even got that far, because they never bothered to play it.

I know that some games will disable steam achievements if you do anything that might be cheaty. Fallout and Elder Scrolls disable them for the rest of the session if you open up the console, and Civ 5 will disable them if you have any mods at all activated. I'm sure there are other examples, but those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The most telling thing about the numbers for Eternity's Child, in my opinion, is that under 5% of the people who played it got past the first half of the first chapter. But, if you did make it that far, then there's over a 50% chance that you also decided to 100% the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr. Buttass posted:

This is the first time I think I've seen one such achievement where the existence of the achievement itself is depressing, rather than just the numbers...

big devs use those for analytics. they use it as a baseline to know how many players actually count at all so they can use that to measure how many got the other checkpoint cheevos and beat the game

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

kalonZombie posted:

Yeah, don't worry about quality or whatever. People didn't give a poo poo when making these games, why should you give a poo poo making these videos?

That is the beauty of this thread. Cinematic edits and long dissertations are great when you give a crap about the source material. But for something like this, garbage-in garbage-out is fine because the entertainment comes from your suffering.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm doing a Let's Play of Doctor Who: The Adventure Games - an episodic thing that was originally free on the BBC, but it's not free anymore and they are now selling it for money.

The games are definitely bad. But, I kind of like them in a way.

My OP is here if anyone's into it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752434

Expect Flash-game esque puzzles, some of the worst 'stealth' sections you've seen, and the actual actors giving mediocre line readings.

I will be doing all of the episodes, split into their natural 3 acts. Ideally this game should be documented so people do not need to go through the effort of playing them to see them.

Follow along if you'd like.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm doing a Let's Play of Doctor Who: The Adventure Games - an episodic thing that was originally free on the BBC, but it's not free anymore and they are now selling it for money.

The games are definitely bad. But, I kind of like them in a way.

My OP is here if anyone's into it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752434

Expect Flash-game esque puzzles, some of the worst 'stealth' sections you've seen, and the actual actors giving mediocre line readings.

I will be doing all of the episodes, split into their natural 3 acts. Ideally this game should be documented so people do not need to go through the effort of playing them to see them.

Follow along if you'd like.

I'll be following this probably, but as a helpful tip, there's a "new LPs" post in the stickies of the subforum. That's where you'll want to make these kinds of posts...this thread's for posting LPs INSIDE it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Hi. It's been a while. What's happening in the world of Star Tr... oh. Oh...

Oh...

Episode 4: Guarding the Fire

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well that was a fine video:
Spock: I believe we can override the power grid with our tricorders
thirty seconds later
Kalon: Are we shooting theses suppression systems?

Fantastic playing as always.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 24, 2015

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Choco1980 posted:

I'll be following this probably, but as a helpful tip, there's a "new LPs" post in the stickies of the subforum. That's where you'll want to make these kinds of posts...this thread's for posting LPs INSIDE it.

Ah thanks for that - got a little confused. Didn't post it there as this is a revival of an older one. Will post updates in here then (and keep an eye on this thread too, love me some bad games).

Got it!

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 25, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This is a thread for LPs that are too short for a whole thread. Since you already made a thread, use it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kalonZombie posted:

Hi. It's been a while. What's happening in the world of Star Tr... oh. Oh...

Oh...

Episode 4: Guarding the Fire

I'm glad to see that the legacy of the lava boat remains intact

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

thirty seconds later

Yeah, they do DSP it up a bit. But, I will be generous to the game and say it is 25% the player's fault.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Major_JF posted:

Yeah, they do DSP it up a bit. But, I will be generous to the game and say it is 25% the player's fault.

Personally I refuse to put any amount of effort into this game. Next episode is going to have Kalon loving up massively, and it is 100% his fault. But it's also hilarious.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Personally I refuse to put any amount of effort into this game. Next episode is going to have Kalon loving up massively, and it is 100% his fault. But it's also hilarious.

Says the man who only died 1 less time than me.

David D. Davidson posted:

thirty seconds later

To be fair I'm not paying attention to anything anyone in this game says. I'm still confused as to how the people know the Gorn have a doomsday device and how exactly they got it.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

kalonZombie posted:

Says the man who only died 1 less time than me.

In fairness it's partly my fault for believing you when you decided that was impossible.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
:siren:Seven Samurai 20XX Update:siren:

Chapter 7 - To Live and Let Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Garfield you cold have a peter in your mouth [VLP] [56k no]

Wikipedia for simple people posted:

Garfield is a famous comic strip created by Jim Davis. It has a cat called Garfield, a dog called Odie, and their owner Jon Arbuckle. The cat is named after Davis's grandfather, James Garfield Davis (who was probably named after former U.S. President James Garfield). It debuted in 1978 in 41 US newspapers. Garfield at Large was Garfield's first book that debuted in 1980 and was listed in the New York Times bestseller lists at #1. By 1983, Garfield was featured in 1400 newspapers, and was translated into seven different languages.

Garfield got a website in 1996. In 2002, Garfield was declared "Most widely syndicated comic strip in the world" by the Guinness Book of World Records. Garfield's 1st cookbook featured in 2003. In 2004, Garfield: The Movie was the first full-length feature movie based off of Garfield. Garfield is a fun loving cat who loves lasagna and is enjoyed by many people around the world.

Garfield is bad

Garfield games are bad

I'm not sure if I will survive this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeTG8UpFl9w

• Locked thread