Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Let's Play Cry of Fear!

In the summer of 2013, when Steam Greenlight was still a thing, I had recently gotten very interested in horror games. I looked around and found this game with a very high user rating that had been voted to be greenlit by the community. Even now it's got 88% positive reviews on Steam.
Those ratings are a lie. Cry of Fear is a bad game.

It was a GoldSrc mod released in 2012 as the second project from Team Psykskallar, which found its way to a standalone release in early 2013. It's buggy, it can be prone crashing if you play it for too long, it's too reliant on (bad) jumpscares and the level design and enemy spawns are terrible. Also, one of the devs is kind of an rear end in a top hat.
It does do some interesting things, like having mostly good looking textures and occasionally pretty decent music and sound design. But even that stuff's pretty hit or miss. The story is also moderately interesting but kind of falls flat, especially with the tedious gameplay it's wrapped in dragging it down so much. Even still, please use spoiler tags if you want to talk about this game, because there are some actually creepy (and funny) moments that are fun to be surprised with.

Subtitles for this one because I want to "preserve the atmosphere". And I'll try to update every Wednesday (and maybe 2-3 times a week once I'm done recording, just to get it over with) and since I'm done recording, every Saturday, too.

:siren:Also, just a (sort of late, sorry) warning for people that might be sensitive to certain things, there's some heavy stuff handled without much tact in this game, so I'll put a warning next to the episode link in some cases (and the video description just in case). But expect themes of depression and some images of self harm (on the player character) throughout the whole game.:siren:

Part 1 - Into the Night(mare) [Contains references of pedophilia toward the end]
Part 2 - Into the Past [Contains references of pedophilia and a visual representation of a suicide]
Part 3 - Into the Game Files (and the Sewers)
Part 4 - Into the out of the Sewers [Contains a visual representation of a suicide]
Part 5 - Into the Garden of Madness
Part 6 - Into the (Emotional) Darkness [Contains a depiction of a suicide]
Part 7 - Into the Defusing of a Situation
Part 8 - Into the (Literal) Darkness
Part 9 - Into the Past Again [Contains references of pedophilia (again, because I'm dumb)]
Part 10 - Into the Carnival [Contains depictions of self harm and the game dropping hints about ableism]
Part 11 - Into the Frustration
Part 12 - Into the Mind
Part 13 - Into the Day, Light, etc. [Contains depictions of self harm and more ableism]
Bonus 1 - Into the Bonus
Bonus 2 - Into the Pain [Contains depictions of self harm and visual representations of suicide]
Bonus 3 - Into the Allusion

If you want to see the other endings, check out these videos from Mr. Sunabouzu's LP, because I'm not playing through this awful game another 3-4 times. The endings get progressively worse in multiple ways except endings 3 and 5 actually have kind of interesting extra levels.
Ending 3 [Contains a depiction of a suicide and more ableism]
Ending 2/1 [Contains a visual representation of a suicide and more ableism]
Ending 5

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Echo Cian posted:

You don't trip in Cry of Fear if you don't run at the stairs, iirc. So unless you're doing this on purpose it can be avoided.

Game still sucks though, and I could be misremembering anyway.

No, you're correct, it's definitely avoidable. Pretty much the only reason I'm not running in the LP is because I think it's less watchable, and I might miss something. It's been a few years since I played it (and I have a bad memory), so I'm playing almost half blind.

If I was for some reason playing this on my own, I'd be trying to get through it as fast as possible (like the second or third time I played it). It's a goldsrc mod, but they took out a LOT of stuff like cheats, quicksaving and tons of non-cheaty console commands, which makes multiple playthroughs a real boring chore when you can't just run everywhere.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
This time it's another double feature, because part 3 is short.

Part 3 - Into the Game Files (and the Sewers)
Part 4 - Into the out of the Sewers [Contains a visual representation of a suicide]

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
In case you didn't see in my op, I'm updating Wednesdays and Saturdays now.

Part 5 - Into the Garden of Madness

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Things get pretty serious this time.

Part 6 - Into the (Emotional) Darkness [Contains a depiction of a suicide]

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Glazius posted:

So did these guys play Silent Hill and decide that its problem was that it was trying to develop a character over the course of the game rather than all at once?

I think they didn't quite get what made Silent Hill effective (as a horror game, or as a story) from what very little I remember from the commentary tracks. Simon has the flashback about confessing his feelings for Sophie after they just had a long conversation that made it seem like that didn't actually happen.

Anyway, here's the next thrilling gun-stallment.

Cry of Fear Part 7 - Into the Defusing of a Situation

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 16, 2016

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, it is a pretty neat touch that your flashlight goes out when you reload.

Actually, Cry of Fear'll do you one better. You can't reload while dual-wielding. You have to switch to just the handgun, reload, then switch back to phone and gun. Maybe they couldn't figure out how to force an equip switch or something? Or maybe they just liked that it was kind of annoying. Doom 3 didn't even tempt you with the option and Left 4 Dead just had the flashlight swing around so, while it wasn't pointed straight ahead, it was still somewhat useful. We'll see something in a few episodes that makes me think they wanted it to be a hassle. Because that's what made Silent Hill scary right? It being frustrating to control?

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately, the backtracking and limited inventory (combined with the lack of respawning enemies to present a constant threat) make it annoying.

It also could have been better if some enemies wouldn't spawn until you entered and exited a room. But even that probably wouldn't work in a place as small as the school. The apartment kind of did that if you got way more lost than I did (which is probably bound to happen because of how confusing the place is).

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Don't worry, I know nobody's been posting because you've all been holding your breath for more Cry of Fear. I understand. I held out on everyone because it's a special double update this time!

Part 8 - Into the (Literal) Darkness
Part 9 - Into the Past Again [Contains references of pedophilia (again, because I'm dumb)]

Oh yeah, episode 9 has what I was talking about on the flashlight issue, if anyone cared.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 23, 2016

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

chitoryu12 posted:

I just noticed that when Simon is dual-wielding the Glock and phone, they just mirrored the Glock so it's suddenly a left-handed gun instead of going to the effort of properly modeling it.

Oh wow, I've never paid enough attention to see that. How perfect.

I spent about 10 minutes editing the sound in this for a dumb joke that you can hardly hear because the game loving glitched.

Part 10 - Into the Carnival [Contains depictions of self harm and the game dropping hints about ableism]

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
General warning for everyone: I really lose it in this episode.

Part 11 - Into the Frustration

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

kjetting posted:

I you're Scandinavian you should translate some of the posters hanging on the walls just to demonstrate how juvenile the mod team's humor is.
One of the posters in the subway cart just reads:

"SUICIDE
- Kill yourself like gently caress"

I don't know Swedish so I used Google Translate, but all I was able to even read from the horrible textures was one that basically said "Adopt a WoW nerd today" and another that read "Everyone loves rabbits". I guess they can't all be winners.

chitoryu12 posted:

Unrelated to the gun thing, it's almost sad in a way when you see something good in Cry of Fear. Like the dark forest and the enemies that start panting just before they reach you are legitimately creepy and worlds ahead of the jump scares and hordes of gun-wielding enemies seen in the subway. But every bit of good horror is crammed into bad game design.

I think it'd be much better if they weren't bugged to only sometimes make noise when they're near you. But yes, I had similar issues.

The only negative Steam review I've ever posted because I hated the game so much and wanted to warn people if I could, posted:

Some of the actually creepy parts are pretty cool, but it was a chore playing through the rest of the game just to get to those moments, which are few and far between.

:siren:Only 1 episode left after this one, so look forward to Saturday. But don't fret, it'll be a pretty big update!:siren:

About 4 minutes in I give a volume warning, but it ended up being sort of unnecessary because I inadvertently fixed the problem (mostly). Also I didn't want to actually hurt people's ears. But believe me, that whole section is WAY too loud at normal volume. At least in contrast to the rest of the game because what is audio leveling?

Part 12 - Into the Mind

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

kjetting posted:

Oh, I just assumed you were Scandinavian since you spell cake with a K and subtitle your videos to spare us your accent.

Yes, the most common one that's on every bus shed and has the old image macro/meme look with white impact text over a rabbit with a superimposed heart is "Rabbits - everyone loves rabbits". Seems like they thought it would become a meme for sure, like that cake thing from postal.

I'd gladly translate if you found some textures or anything, but I'm warning you... They're really REALLY stupid and you will be embarrassed on behalf of the adult people who actually thought they were funny, or even prefereable to just Lorem Ipsum.

Well I've never known a particularly bland Midwestern American accent to trouble anyone and the other bit's just a coincidence. And I think the only one I actually care enough about is this one on the right. Because I always read it as Dog Smart rather than Dogs Mart. If you can make them out and are so inclined, why not translate the left one for kicks?

Doseku posted:

Today myself and a buddy of mine start our co-op adventure as orcs bent on stopping humans and their foul pollution... well not really. We actually start off on the run.
Welcome to a terrible game that has a somewhat ok premise but is botched in execution. In this episode we learn that that everything in this game has framerate issues.

Orc Attack Flatulent Rebellion: Episode 01

What the heck is the "Magic" side to Flatulent Rebellion's "Dirty"?! From those options I would almost expect the game to turn into Enchanting Rebellion. Or do you just get fartomancy?
Also, it seems like a lot of the sounds are just terrible stock sound effects that they didn't bother altering at all and it's really awful.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

kjetting posted:

From left to right:

Stockholm's addict clinic
- because sometimes you just need to take those pills!

DOGSMART!
- Gives your dog a longer life, a calmer mood, and above all; happiness!

The ads are really hit or miss, huh.

Anyways,
:siren:Here's the final update!:siren:
It's a long one because there's a lot going on at the end here.

Part 13 - Into the Day, Light, etc. [Contains depictions of self harm and more ableism]
Bonus - Into the Bonus

If you want to see the other endings, check out these videos from Mr. Sunabouzu's LP, because I'm not playing through this awful game another 3-4 times. The endings get progressively worse in multiple ways except endings 3 and 5 actually have kind of interesting extra levels.
Ending 3 [Contains a depiction of a suicide and more ableism]
Ending 2/1 [Contains a visual representation of a suicide and more ableism]
Ending 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Bet you weren't expecting this!

:siren:Double surprise update!:siren:

I decided to play one of the custom campaigns because it was actually worth recording. This is for real the last update though, so don't worry.

Bonus 2 - Into the Pain [Contains depictions of self harm and visual representations of suicide]
Bonus 3 - Into the Allusion

• Locked thread