Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
CTRL+C, CTRL+V, Go!

NEW OWNERS GUIDE

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAST SEASON

-Ignore the ratings, Leo Egan is alive and well

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Seattle Discontent
AL East: Hartford Focus
AL South: Santa Fe Leo Egans
AL West: Tucson Seraperos (all hail our 60 win overlords)

NL North: Chicago Cubes
NL East: Cleveland Hustlers
NL South: New Orleans Spirits
NL West: Colorado Burrellballers

WILD CARDS

AL: Charlotte Goyim, St. Louis Gaedels
NL: New York Metropolitans, Santa Cruz Conquistadors

AWARDS

AL MVP: Aaron Hanson, Leo Egans
NL MVP: Cliff Burnett, Burrellballers
AL Cy Young: Cody Roosevelt, Discontent (gently caress you art)
NL Cy Young: Deivi Elcano, Los Angeleses
AL ROTY: Terrence Weinhardt (shut up art)
NL ROTY: Hub Woods, Burrelballers

INFO FOR NEW OWNERS AND HOPELESSLY INCOMPETENT VETERANS

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because nasboat is AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks. But it's not that bad honestly if the world works together. We can do this. Trust me.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're menasboat.

10. Get a Big Brother! If you've never played this game before feel free to ask the thread for help from the veterans. Hopefully one of us will take you under our wing and teach you some of the stupid convoluted poo poo that you need to know before you quit in frustration. Then when you're a 10 season veteran with multiple world series wins you can pay it forward!

AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

quote:

Set your spring training rest hierarchy and pitch counts.

PAs in spring training count towards fatigue in the regular season but the games don't, so you don't want to use your starters as much as you would in the regular season.

HOWEVER spring training is also a good opportunity for your young players to get a couple extra points and if you don't let your veterans play, they might lose a few points. So it's a careful balancing act. I'd recommend inviting some guys to ST from your minor leagues--either prospects you want to develop or mediocre AAAA dudes who can soak up some innings/PAs. Your 25 man roster won't cut it.

Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Spring training squads to invite some of your minor leaguers to camp. Go to Manager's office -> Managers Settings to set your lineup to rest after the fifth inning even if they're losing or leading by only 1. Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Edit Player settings to set your starters to low pitch counts. If for some reason you want them to go deep in games, you can manually force your team to use a 10 man rotation or something. Rotate out your relievers, setting the guys who just pitched to "rest" and forcing the AI to use other guys after games.

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

~Everything below here is being updated~

CURRENT GOON TEAMS -- NOW WITH TWITTER HANDLES!
Yeah this isn't even close to correct I'll fix it later
code:

Forums name      / WIS name     / Franchise                      / Twitter

nasboat          / nasboat      / Seattle Discontent             / @nasboat
Art Vandelay     / thaneoffife  / Montreal Royal Kilted Yaksmen  / @ThaneOfFife
gardenald        / gardenald    / Chicago Barons                 / @gardenald

Devo             / devomac      / Pittsburgh Steel Birds         / @Devo1999
Evilbeard        / evilbeard    / Hartford Focus                 / @evilbeard
duyarvish        / kingfatdik   / Dover Dumpsters                / @duyarvish
n/a              / CBoulding    / Boston Sophists                / @CBoulding

jeffersonlives   / tjefferson   / Santa Fe Leo Egans             / @ihateprospects
Scrotos          / Fervus       / Charlotte Goyim                / @scrotos
Tavarin          / tavarin      / St. Louis Gaedels              / @tavarin

CaptMurphy       / captmurphy   / Portland Beavers               / @haassauce
n/a              / elchapo      / Tucson Seraperos               / @mrubio52
The broken bones / kingofspain  / Salt Lake City Punks           / @TheAmitie
Thauros          / thauros      / Vancouver Directors            / @SAThauros

Nerokerubina     / koyunlu      / Iowa City IOWA                 / @QaraKoyunlu
Operaterp        / operaterp    / Philadelphia Phatties          / 
ernestborg9      / ernestborg9  / Ottawa BEEMOs                  / @ernest_borg9
n/a              / spaldingball / Chicago Cubes                  / @spaldingethan

AlleyViper       / alleyviper   / Cleveland Hustlers             / @deanleyland
chutwig          / chutwig      / Buffalo Garden Paths           / @erhudy
tatankatonk      / tatankatonk  / New York Metropolitans         / @tatankatonk
n/a              / mattwithanh  / Jacksonville Juggernauts       / @mattwithanh

Atheistdeals.com / atheistdeals / New Orleans Spirits            / @DoubleScorpion
(I forget)       / BarroldBonds / Jackson Jackknives             / @BarroldBonds

ThatsMyBoye      / mrincubus    / Anaheim Los Angeleses          / @paul_boye
gyroball         / gyroball     / Colorado Burrellballers        / @RedbirdMenace
Power of Pecota  / pecotaredux  / Salem Saberhagens              / @GeorgeMatanzas
saintonan        / saintonan    / Santa Cruz Conquistadors       / @?
TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (ARCHIVES, UPDATED LATER)
TMB never filled this in, thanks TMB :mad:
Season 9
Season 10
Season 11
Season 12
Season 13
Season 14
Season 15
Season 16
Season 17
Season 18
Season 19
Season 20
Season 21
Season 22
Season 23
Season 24
Season 25
Season 26
Season 27
Season 28
Season 29
Season 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
NL South New Orleans Octopus owner is @atbobb

NL East New York Gothams owner is @jenmacramos

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Renyel Romero is asking for 3 years 14mil, so I give him exactly that, and he rejects it saying he wants a little more - but he doesn't specify how much more like they did before.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ArtVandelay posted:

Renyel Romero is asking for 3 years 14mil, so I give him exactly that, and he rejects it saying he wants a little more - but he doesn't specify how much more like they did before.

Slip him a lil tongue

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Slip him a lil tongue

I find a handsie never fails to sway them.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The Lich Coach

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Capt Murphy posted:

The Lich Coach

I'm giving him all the money to be my coach

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He's actually decent too. Could stick around a while.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Hey that reminds me whatever happened to Hong-Gu Lim

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
hes dead

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I just won an arb case, not bad! Yasiel wanted 7mil and I started at 5 and won!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Why has no one traded me a good SP yet? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Is this FA class really terrible or is my judgment clouded by not being good at this

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

duyarvish posted:

Is this FA class really terrible or is my judgment clouded by not being good at this

Its not great.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
who's got relief pitching to trade, i got fringe mlb players

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The dude who has KC is not so great. I asked him about George Price, and he'll only do the deal if it involves Braulio Canseco AND another top prospect.

Now I know how it was to deal with me all these years.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I wouldn't move Price for anything less than a great package either, especially if my overall talent pool was as thin as that team's is. It always mystifies me why people think owners with little talent will give away what little they have for free.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
For how many people need fielding coaches and how few unemployed ones are worth a poo poo, a lot of us could be in a bad spot this season

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I've said it before, Rick Newman is my real team mvp for not making me go through FI hiring for the last 10 seasons

In other news, I hosed up and arb3'd Brandon Jackson and now he won't re sign with me

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Well that was quite the trade offer I just awoke to.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Is that Harris trade bad enough for a first time owner that we should step in?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

You all didn't stop the victor tavarez trade, let me have something here :v:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Is that Harris trade bad enough for a first time owner that we should step in?

I think so. Its pretty awful.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

34 year old Alex Ransom putting on a Burrellballers cap. storylines

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Fake baseball is a funny game.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Why the gently caress does Jeff get a good FA every year? Does no one else bid? There are like 3 good FAs this year.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
gently caress Barrios and gently caress Ivan DeLeon.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gyroball posted:

Vic Almanzar ready to Hustle

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Cozy Goldberg might make my lineup at least interesting if I can get a decent leadoff hitter.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I see why that Harris trade isn't good, but why exactly is so bad it's vetoable?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

duyarvish posted:

I see why that Harris trade isn't good, but why exactly is so bad it's vetoable?

Becuase it is a brand new owner.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

duyarvish posted:

Brand new owner who is losing a legit asset for a guy who you can get at any time on waivers or through the Rule V draft.

I can't help but wonder if the new guy saw SS and the OVR/PRJ comparison to Harris and thought it was good.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

He's clearly looking at overall. But you didn't veto a goddamn heywood Cameron for Brian brown trade, so don't veto this. That was probably worse.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

He's clearly looking at overall. But you didn't veto a goddamn heywood Cameron for Brian brown trade, so don't veto this. That was probably worse.

Why are you referencing a trade among two HBD veterans vs a trade with a first year owner? The whole point is the owners involved plus the value being given away.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The point is, we all make mistakes, but you don't veto mine. If this were in reverse and I traded Harris for someone terrible, you'd laugh and call me stupid, but you wouldn't veto it.

Let's let this person make his mistake, and then explain to him why it was a mistake.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Somehow I guess you wouldn't be saying this if you weren't the beneficiary here. That's pretty lame.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gyroball posted:

Haha, I love it. If I can't squeak into the playoffs I'll be hoping for him to get a ring.

I wish I could have justified bringing Ransom back but all of my hybrid 2B/CF types got too old to play CF.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I vetoed both trades involving first year owners. Please don't scalp legitimate players and send back piles of garbage to new people.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Devo posted:

I vetoed both trades involving first year owners. Please don't scalp legitimate players and send back piles of garbage to new people.

I ran my deal passed two other owners who both said it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scrotos posted:

I ran my deal passed two other owners who both said it was fine.

It's two garbage prospects and a garbage #5 SP who is done growing for a .750 OPS shortstop. It's bad.

• Locked thread