Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
What a crazy high scoring week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Ended up winning 6/7 cash and in the small money in a few tourneys, up 50 bucks on the week. Forsett/Jstew knocked me out of a double up but I hung on in the 50/50s. I also won a satellite for next weeks Sunday Millions so that's like a free 25 bucks extra.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

-Danny Woodhead
-Michael Crabtree
-Doug Baldwin

Thanks for torpedoing my shot at LIFE-CHANGING MONEY on DRAFTKINGS.COM!

A 190 pt roster consisting of Cam/Olson stack with AP, Jamaal Charles and Seattle Defense died at the hands of those 3 (and Edelman not getting a TD :( ).

Really, Woodhead and John Brown hurt me quite a bit across the board (I'm less upset about Brown though, he was an acknowledged risk). Woodhead was feeling solid though :(

Not that any of this will prevent me from reloading on Woodhead this weekend against Cleveland, of course ;-*

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 29, 2015

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Baldwin is passé, rishard matty is only 3800!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Karlos Williams @ 6300 against a bad Giants defense seems like a no-brainer play to me this week.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Huh. I thought I was down a buck last week, but apparently since I used FantasyPros to organize my saved lineups and clicked random buttons I'm now up $20. How is this legal.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
John Brown is really breaking hearts here. So far this year he's dropped one TD, had two called back for holding, got tackled at the 1 at least once, and had about a hundred yards of pass interference flags committed on him.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

John Brown is really breaking hearts here. So far this year he's dropped one TD, had two called back for holding, got tackled at the 1 at least once, and had about a hundred yards of pass interference flags committed on him.

So he's not really the one breaking the hearts most of the time. He'll eventually get his boom 2/3 TD game, but he's more valuable in regular fantasy due to his decent floor than daily fantasy. I've had him in at least one DFS lineup each week so i feel ya.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
If anything, the quiet week 3 games from John Brown and Woodhead will cause them to be under-owned in tournaments in week 4. I'll run them both back out there again.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Woodhead hurt me quite a bit this week. So did accidentally picking Cowboys DST in one of my GPP plays... it was honestly an accident and I was confused when I saw them in my lineup but it was too late. Everyone else was such high scoring that I didn't cash with rosters that had 145 pts but did with one that hit 170, unfortunately I did not enter many with that one. My meek winnings were wiped out from this week to put me at a net loss is $20 on the season but that's what bankroll management is for, and it's been fun nonetheless. Gonna claw my way back into the black.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I made some bad choices and finished just outside the money this week in both my contests. Ah well, always next week

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RBs screwed me again. I think I'm going for stud RBs from now on.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Entered my first ever dfs game (turned out to be a tournament, I had no idea what I was doing) for $5 and I'm right on the cutoff for $$, with a bunch of guys to go. Mon-Thu, 2-game tournament on FanDuel, let's go LVB, Smith Sr, Gillmore and Steelers D!

Anyway, I have a few newb questions:

1 - what happens if a tournament doesn't fill up (on FD, but I assume the same on DK, etc)? Do all "guaranteed" payouts come down proportionally? Or do the low $ payouts just get cut off, and the top winners still have the same guaranteed amounts? Or do they not change, and smart players keep their eyes open for less popular tournaments that have artificially higher payouts given fewer participants?

2 - is there some golden rule about spending $$, like smart players will never have a single dollar of budget left? I had $200 after picking my team, and I was agonizing over ways to spend it down to zero, but couldn't find anything without shifting my whole team.

3 - when do prices get re-set (for NFL)? Is it constantly rolling and prices are set whenever the new match is created, or is there some set day of the week when they change?

As a side note, I'm starting to see a real downside to the 2-game tournament format. There are hundreds and hundreds of entries that have the exact same score as me, so I guess any winnings'll be split.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

thethreeman posted:

As a side note, I'm starting to see a real downside to the 2-game tournament format. There are hundreds and hundreds of entries that have the exact same score as me, so I guess any winnings'll be split.

IIRC, I did a Fanduel 2-game format last year late in the season or in the playoffs. I added Lavon Brazill as one of my WRs. Even if that very limited format, he was only owned by 5-7% of players. He got two TDs. That's the kind of obscure no-namer you have to bet on in those formats to win.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
I needs more millionaire entry tickets....if you don't have a draftkings account yet and want to try it out, I will paypal you 5 bucks if you create an account and deposit the required 5 bucks.

PM for infos.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Can't you just use alt email accounts?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can't you just use alt email accounts?

Not really since if I win a prize, I still have to be me especially for tax purposes and the alt email won't matter. They also block any accounts from the same payment method.

Plus I hear you have to present to them your drivers license if you win over 1k and try to withdraw, so can't just make a bunch of alt accounts...

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 30, 2015

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
Marshawn lynch screwed me last week.

Looks like some of the player values haven't been adjusted for Moneyball yet.
Montee Ball is set at $5600? Donte Moncreif is at $6,600. I Don't know what the hell is going on with their values.

Going with this line up. Staying away from anyone who is a 'gametime decision'

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I'm a bit concerned about Randle this week. This is how many yards he got on each of his carries on his 'huge' game last week: 28, 37, 20, 1, -1, 1, 9, 4, 1, 0, 1, -1, -4, 2, -2. Sure it adds up to 85 yards and 3 TDs, but it looks to me more like he got lucky and broke a couple big runs on the first drive and then was bottled up not accomplishing much other than punching in a couple 1 yard TDs. And that was against the 32nd ranked Atlanta defense against the run in adjusted fantasy points allowed. This week he's facing a still soft but much better 20th ranked New Orleans defense.

Now if you think the Dallas passing game will be doing well enough to keep giving Randle 1 yard TD runs, then that's not as much of a problem, but I am exercising some caution when considering him in my lineups this week.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
FantasyHub has Melvin Gordon at minimum price of 3k (it's basically draft kings pricing levels if that helps as a comparison). I'd be crazy not to take him at that price right?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

JoshTheStampede posted:

FantasyHub has Melvin Gordon at minimum price of 3k (it's basically draft kings pricing levels if that helps as a comparison). I'd be crazy not to take him at that price right?

I think so - he's a solid play this week. At that price he's a great play.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mike Vick for $5000 on DraftKings seems like a nice way to make room for some big running backs and receivers. He's bound to get some good runs in as well.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm a bit concerned about Randle this week. This is how many yards he got on each of his carries on his 'huge' game last week: 28, 37, 20, 1, -1, 1, 9, 4, 1, 0, 1, -1, -4, 2, -2. Sure it adds up to 85 yards and 3 TDs, but it looks to me more like he got lucky and broke a couple big runs on the first drive and then was bottled up not accomplishing much other than punching in a couple 1 yard TDs. And that was against the 32nd ranked Atlanta defense against the run in adjusted fantasy points allowed. This week he's facing a still soft but much better 20th ranked New Orleans defense.

Now if you think the Dallas passing game will be doing well enough to keep giving Randle 1 yard TD runs, then that's not as much of a problem, but I am exercising some caution when considering him in my lineups this week.

Just remember that NO cannot defend anyone so there is a good chance he will fall into two touchdowns in any event.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Starting Kaep in one GPP with the hope that he runs all over the Packers like it's 2013. Prepared for disappointment.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Starting Kaep in one GPP with the hope that he runs all over the Packers like it's 2013. Prepared for disappointment.

I got one SF lineup for kicks. FantasyLabs reeeeally likes Kaepernick (on DraftKings) this week. Possibly because it's one of the few games that doesn't have a chance of getting hurricane weather.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

DFS is such a heartbreaker. If I had started the Pittsburgh D, I would've made $7500. instead...I started the ravens, so I made $50. :(

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

thethreeman posted:

Entered my first ever dfs game (turned out to be a tournament, I had no idea what I was doing) for $5 and I'm right on the cutoff for $$, with a bunch of guys to go. Mon-Thu, 2-game tournament on FanDuel, let's go LVB, Smith Sr, Gillmore and Steelers D!

Anyway, I have a few newb questions:

1 - what happens if a tournament doesn't fill up (on FD, but I assume the same on DK, etc)? Do all "guaranteed" payouts come down proportionally? Or do the low $ payouts just get cut off, and the top winners still have the same guaranteed amounts? Or do they not change, and smart players keep their eyes open for less popular tournaments that have artificially higher payouts given fewer participants?

2 - is there some golden rule about spending $$, like smart players will never have a single dollar of budget left? I had $200 after picking my team, and I was agonizing over ways to spend it down to zero, but couldn't find anything without shifting my whole team.

3 - when do prices get re-set (for NFL)? Is it constantly rolling and prices are set whenever the new match is created, or is there some set day of the week when they change?

Won $10 off of my $5 entry fee in my first match despite a bagel from gillmore :toot:

In case any other beginners find this, the answer to #1 above is that most tournaments have guaranteed payouts, even if the company loses money on them (the spread is called "overlay"). I assume this is getting more and more rare as they get more popular, but apparently there are "overlay hunters" who are all about exploiting this: http://www.rotowire.com/football/showArticle.htm?id=21219

railroad terror posted:

IIRC, I did a Fanduel 2-game format last year late in the season or in the playoffs. I added Lavon Brazill as one of my WRs. Even if that very limited format, he was only owned by 5-7% of players. He got two TDs. That's the kind of obscure no-namer you have to bet on in those formats to win.

ya, this makes sense. Winner that took $30k in my contest got a big game out of Kamar Aiken...

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Bagels for me this week apparently someone who works at Draftkings used knowledge of ownership percentages to win 350K on Fanduel last week. Also, apparently last week when Draftkings posted ownership percentages for the millionaire maker it included players whose games had not started (supposedly on accident).

That....seems bad on both counts.

https://rotogrinders.com/threads/draftkings-ownership-leak-850584?page=1#reply-850635

http://www.legalsportsreport.com/4548/draftkings-data-leak-faq/

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 5, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about that. He used non public knowledge of DK ownership to make an educated guess about FD ownership. On the one hand that's fine, he's not allowed to play on DK so he has to play somewhere.

I guess? Should employees of an DFS site be banned from playing DFS at all?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about that. He used non public knowledge of DK ownership to make an educated guess about FD ownership. On the one hand that's fine, he's not allowed to play on DK so he has to play somewhere.

I guess? Should employees of an DFS site be banned from playing DFS at all?

I also feel torn about this too. I mean there is a WEALTH of information out there for you to make informed decisions about your lineups but they are well after the games are finished and that is fine and part of the entire industry. I'm of the opinion that DFS site employees should not be able to play other DFS sites because it's likely that trends are similar no matter which site you use and insider info is insider info if it can't also be shared with the public for the same edge.

And as for policing it? Good luck with policing something that isn't even near understood by policing agencies yet....people are at the whim of whatever these sites are doing or not doing that is underhanded/unfair. The only way to hurt them is to not give them money, since they can fold up at any time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm currently 2nd in one of my contests! :dance:

It's a double-up. :negative:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yup my best lineup this week was my cash lineup. Currently winning over 90% of H2Hs. Note to self: always enter cash lineup in a tournament.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I got pretty much murdered this week. I am counting on Seattle's D to score, like, a bazillion points to get me into the black. If Eric Ebron and Ameer Abdullah could somehow be awesome too, that would help.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just to clarify the employee of Draftkings who won on Fanduel is written content manager Ethan Haskell who was responsible for posting the 'error' ownership pecentages.

When talking about allowing employees of one site to play on another you would hope there would be some segregation between those involved in operations and something user facing like website content. Assuming everything was on the level i wouldn't worry about having some lineups in a contest Ethan happened to be entered in anymore than i would worry about playing a Poker pro on a website they sponsor or (maybe more accurately) like a community manager for Activision in Call of Duty. The fact that he posted something that is not supposed to be known to anyone other than the game operators, even if accidentally, reveals really poor control over such in one of the largest sites at best and something really shady at worst.

EDIT: VVVV I agree that's it not as bad as paying people to outright throw games but having inside information of ownership percentages allows you to tweak lineups when you can in such a way that you gain an advantage. And when we're talking about changing hundreds of tournament lineups at a time and gaining even thousandths of percentage points of EV it really seems like inside information to me.

And now New York Times is on the story; pack it in boys. Also, there's a "temporary" ban for DK and FD employees playing on any dfs sites.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/sports/fanduel-draftkings-fantasy-employees-bet-rivals.html?_r=0

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 6, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I agree. It definitely looks bad for DK and there's been a bunch of mistakes recently. The sites look unprofessional and need to clean up their act if they're going to keep rolling out the ads. On the other hand I wouldn't draw a connection to Ethan's win on FD and have no problem with DFS employees playing on other sites. This is not anywhere near "insider trading" as some are saying. I'd be more worried about someone who works for the NFL than someone who works for a DFS site.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I agree. It definitely looks bad for DK and there's been a bunch of mistakes recently. The sites look unprofessional and need to clean up their act if they're going to keep rolling out the ads. On the other hand I wouldn't draw a connection to Ethan's win on FD and have no problem with DFS employees playing on other sites. This is not anywhere near "insider trading" as some are saying. I'd be more worried about someone who works for the NFL than someone who works for a DFS site.
the percentages in question that helped him win were those that say who is being started by more players. if you know who is and is not being started by a percentage of the players, you know where you can find points that other players are not expecting.

i have no opinion on legality.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

cams posted:

the percentages in question that helped him win were those that say who is being started by more players. if you know who is and is not being started by a percentage of the players, you know where you can find points that other players are not expecting.

i have no opinion on legality.

He received the ownership numbers after the FanDuel lineups locked so it seems unlikely that they helped him win.

Not to mention that there are publicly available projections of ownership percentages that are more accurate than using DK ownership percentages on FD.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

He received the ownership numbers after the FanDuel lineups locked so it seems unlikely that they helped him win.

Not to mention that there are publicly available projections of ownership percentages that are more accurate than using DK ownership percentages on FD.

I will change my entire mind if they show these logs they claim to have of him receiving the data after 2pm when his rosters locked. Otherwise it's fishy considering the amount of winning this one individual has been doing.

And what ownership website is updated within an hour of locking? If that were the case we could make BANK on DK late swaps.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yuzenn posted:

And what ownership website is updated within an hour of locking? If that were the case we could make BANK on DK late swaps.

FantasyPros projects Fanduel ownership percentages based on the Thursday slate. They model how the ownership numbers change from Thursday to Sunday. I would imagine even the simplest model (take away Thursday players, increase the other numbers accordingly) is more accurate than just using the DraftKings numbers.

They're available before lineups lock. If you think knowing the FanDuel numbers provides a huge advantage on DraftKings and vice versa, then go for it. That strategy is already available.

So, I don't think that data is as valuable as everyone's making it out to be. Still, it was an embarrassing error and there should be precautions and external oversight to make sure it doesn't happen.

We can debate whether DraftKings employees should be able to play on FanDuel and vice versa. Personally I don't think it's a major problem (granted that there are proper controls on the data that isn't publicly available). How would this work? If I want to start a competitor DFS site, would I be immediately banned from FanDuel and DraftKings? If so I'm less likely to do so, and so this entrenches the market share of the big players. And where do we draw the line? If I have a site where I develop a model of player performances, do I now have an unfair advantage? Is FanDuel not allowed to bring "star" DFS players onto the payroll like the poker sites did?

That said, I don't think those arguments are the end of the debate. I can see the other side. But instead of having this debate the community is throwing wild accusations and making up stories about what happened. At worst it's one individual cheater, people are acting like DraftKings is corrupt as an organization. (which, it very well might be. but there is no more reason to believe so than there was a week ago. just evidence that they're incompetent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
For it being a weird, low scoring week, I did alright. It really helped me that Monday night football was low scoring since I didn't have anyone in it. Ended up getting 180% of my entry fees back across the three sites I played this week, which is pretty nice. Would be even nicer if I was actually playing with big money, but nice nonetheless. How'd everyone else do?

EDIT: I also totally called Randle sucking this week, which is the most important victory in my mind. He did fall into a TD, but was awful otherwise and didn't even hit 2x value.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread