Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

That was so good. I remember laughing a lot, but when I think back it's just sadness. Gretchen's plot this season is kind of real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man this season is so weird compared to the last one. It's gotten way less funny (even before the depression stuff began I wasn't laughing anywhere near as much as s1) but overall I would say it's a lot better? I don't know if I can make much sense outta that one.

Anyway yeah the latest episode was amazing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So I'm the formerly fun couple that wishes we could go out, but sadly growing up sucks.

Also I'm very afraid that Gretchen is going to try to kill herself at the end of the season.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Jack Skeleton posted:

drat man. drat.

But seriously, I remember those days of trying to pick out either Hollywood forever screening or Lucha Va Voom.

I'm old now
:shepicide:

I listen to too many LA based podcasts. I have never been to LA and I knew all of the locations they mentioned :ohdear:.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I recently gained access to FXNOW and started on Season 2 (if S1 was free on Amazon, it is no longer :-\ )

I have only seen a couple dozen episodes of It's Always Sunny, but is it safe to describe this as kind of a IASIP with a heart?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo this recent episode is a loving tragedy.

Gretchen is tripping the gently caress out - Talented Mr Ripley style.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I know I'm double posting but holy loving poo poo I just finished the episode and it's goddamned BRUTAL.

This show is amazing, but what the gently caress>?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
It was a slap to the face that Gretchen was hyping this couple up as having it all and her being jealous/longing for that life as a means to fulfill what this depression is leaving her empty with. Only to realize when the dude starts talking about LCD soundsystem and about how much he is unhappy does that bubble get popped for her and what she thought was the solution - to try to be like them, wasn't it at all.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Real Name Grover posted:

I have only seen a couple dozen episodes of It's Always Sunny, but is it safe to describe this as kind of a IASIP with a heart?

No the cast isn't as ridiculous as sunny, and the plots aren't as surreal. I can't really think of a comparison, this show is weird, especially season 2. I sometimes get the feeling that it doesn't know what it wants to be

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack Skeleton posted:

It was a slap to the face that Gretchen was hyping this couple up as having it all and her being jealous/longing for that life as a means to fulfill what this depression is leaving her empty with. Only to realize when the dude starts talking about LCD soundsystem and about how much he is unhappy does that bubble get popped for her and what she thought was the solution - to try to be like them, wasn't it at all.

Oh, I know what it was, but this really felt like a HUGE tonal shift in the show. I mean, good for them for spicing up the show and drifting into different directions, but it was a surprise.

This episode certainly as gently caress wasn't a comedy...Maybe they want to treat depression with some type of dignity instead of with just black humor, which is cool, I guess.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Seems that's been the directional change this season while tackling or at least explaining and getting into Gretchen as a character and why she is the way she is. Burning down her apartment, the DUI and constant drinking to escape. Seems to make sense that they dropped the hints or at least used what they had to explain this.

Yeah, it's a bit of a change from the first season, but I'm really liking it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it remains really interesting, even if I'm not laughing a whole bunch. I'm sure next show will veer back into its standard comedy patterns.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
There's still comedy. It's just not coming from Gretchen or Jimmy. Vernon has been KILLING it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lindsay has really been carrying a lot of the comedy this season, as far as the main cast is concerned. But it's kinda inevitable. Yeah, the premise and charm of this show is that these are terrible people, and it's funny and the characters are still endearing somehow, but that'll only take you so far. If they didn't show that they battle real, genuine demons it would eventually get tired and stale. It's rare to see chronic depression being portrayed over a period of time. In a lot of shows it's addressed once, and occasionally mentioned offhand after that. The first season was definitely funnier, but this season is giving us lots of heart. And to me, that's just as good, but in a different way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's Always Sunny has lasted 10+ seasons and remains fresh and loving hilarious and literally every one of those characters is ten times the shitsnack chowderlord than Gretchen, Lindsay, or Jimmy could ever be.

CaptainScraps posted:

There's still comedy. It's just not coming from Gretchen or Jimmy. Vernon has been KILLING it.

I'm only directly speaking about this most recent episode, which included 2 minutes of Jimmy, and 25 minutes of two brand new, deliberately non-funny characters, and then Gretch. But yeah, Vernon is a loving blast.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Drifter posted:

It's Always Sunny has lasted 10+ seasons and remains fresh and loving hilarious and literally every one of those characters is ten times the shitsnack chowderlord than Gretchen, Lindsay, or Jimmy could ever be.

I'm only directly speaking about this most recent episode, which included 2 minutes of Jimmy, and 25 minutes of two brand new, deliberately non-funny characters, and then Gretch. But yeah, Vernon is a loving blast.

Maybe I'm just speaking for me but...I love Sunny. I think it's hilarious. But I can't watch more than one or two episodes at a time. So I could very well just be speaking for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe I'm just speaking for me but...I love Sunny. I think it's hilarious. But I can't watch more than one or two episodes at a time. So I could very well just be speaking for me.

Why so few? Is it boring in large doses or is it just to hosed up?

One show that I think is only mildly amusing is The League. They're supposed to be dispicable characters, but it's all pretty boring. I really like the character Rafi in that show, however even he gets kinda boring every now and then. If only everyone else had characters with such pure energy behind them.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 6, 2015

ArgonHarvester
Sep 6, 2010
That last scene :stare:

This isn't where I thought season 2 would go, but I somehow love the show more for it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Drifter posted:

Why so few? Is it boring in large doses or is it just to hosed up?

One show that I think is only mildly amusing is The League. They're supposed to be dispicable characters, but it's all pretty boring. I really like the character Rafi in that show, however even he gets kinda boring every now and then. If only everyone else had characters with such pure energy behind them.

I've got a twisted sense of humor. The show itself is right up my alley, but I love watching characters develop more than I love the humor. Sunny doesn't really have much (if any) development for it's characters.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

ArgonHarvester posted:

That last scene :stare:

My DVR cut off as they were walking away from the house with Gretchen start to cry- did something else happen after?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OmniBeer posted:

My DVR cut off as they were walking away from the house with Gretchen start to cry- did something else happen after?

Nope. it just showed her getting more and more closer to full-on tearful devastation and then faded to black.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Drifter posted:

Nope. it just showed her getting more and more closer to full-on tearful devastation and then faded to black.

Ah, okay.

Man, that episode was like.. Hard to watch. In the best way. Aya Cash is just killing it this season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought Jimmy getting excited about seeing the treehouse was pretty funny, but yeah not a lot of laughs otherwise. That and "I miss our Largo days, Sandwiches"

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
That episode was not funny at all, yet was somehow a top 5 episode of tv (not just this show). Holy poo poo, that was good. This whole season is good.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I dunno, I thought Edgar relating the story about a drive by happening in a place he would have been had he not visited the recruiting office being interrupted by Gretchen was pretty funny. It's odd, but the episode was really good about being in a completely different place than the show normally is. Jimmy and Edgar are doing traditional You're the Worst sitcom stuff as if it's just any other episode and Gretchen is in an existential nightmare. The show being shot so differently was one of the big strengths.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I thought Jimmy getting excited about seeing the treehouse was pretty funny, but yeah not a lot of laughs otherwise. That and "I miss our Largo days, Sandwiches"
I know Largo is a real place, but there's something funny about using "largo" to indicate fast times.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Khablam posted:

Viewership has dropped from 0.7m to 0.6m through season 1, and started season 2 on FXX with 0.3m and has dropped to 0.15m

It's not a rosy future, which is sad, because I really like the show.

:ohdear: Between the ratings drop, channel switch, and the tone-shift in the second season, this is like Legit all over again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any news on how these later episodes have fared?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The last couple have been back to early S2 numbers.
Seems the buzz is with it not being cancelled though? Hopefully it gets a S3.
The last couple of episodes have been fantastic.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, the show itself has only gotten stronger, I hope it sticks around for a while. My general luck suggests otherwise though. :(

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
in my defense I only pushed you because I wanted you to fall in poo poo.

Holy poo poo, that episode was solid.

I really hope it gets renewed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Didn't this show used to be a comedy?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Didn't this show used to be a comedy?

You're the worst

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm kinda concerned they followed my family around and based Jimmy's off them

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I am still enjoying this turn to drama but I really hope Gretchen gets better because it's kinda depressing.

I miss her hijinks.

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

I am still enjoying this turn to drama but I really hope Gretchen gets better because it's kinda depressing.
There is now a gun just sitting there. :suicide:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Gretchen seems not fun to be around at all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like the attitude of the new bartender/owner lady. She's hot, too.

I hope Jimmy doesn't cheat on anybody, but It'd be cool to have that lady in the show more.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Gretchen as a cat is kind of fun.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy is either going to cheat or dump Gretchen sending her into a bigger depression or maybe force her into therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I've been watching this since season one, but haven't been following the thread very closely. I'd reiterate what most people have said though, that while there has been a major tonal shift lately, I'm almost enjoying the show more. It has been hitting a little close to home these last couple of episodes, but the acting and the writing of the whole Gretchen situation has been phenomenal. I'm scared to know where this situation is going though, and I know a happy ending isn't likely.

• Locked thread